Duo controller D-pad feels too trigger sensitive causing unintentional commands

Started by Bekic, 03/26/2015, 09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bekic

Alright, i made a thread like this before in the PCE section but since it's only the game in question that's Japanese it might fit better here.

The issue i'm having is the command registering as up when i press left due to a "tilting effect" on the controller, making it very unreliable to play with. It's so fucking sensitive that i have to sit there and consciously press/hold it down in a very light manner at wich point it won't register but there's just no way to keep that in mind while having to make instant decisions. I don't know if that's just the way the controller is supposed to be or if i'm doing something wrong but it really bums me out.

The game is called Zipang. Occasionally it will happen in Castlevania: Rondo of Blood aswell where i use the suibweapon when i only want to do a regular attack but i feel like i have better control of that.

Surely i can't be the only one having this type of issue that's exactly how it feels ](*,)

PCEngineHell

OP, we have a tech/repair section on the forums for these kind of threads. This section is for discussion of games and the systems themselves.

Bekic

NecroPhile

Or you could make a third thread.  :roll:

Have you tried cleaning the contacts as suggested in the other thread?  If that doesn't fix it, try rotating the rubber part 180 degrees.  If the problem goes away (at least when you press left), then you'll know the rubber part is the problem; if you still have a problem, then check the pcb for cracks.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Bekic

I haven't tried that yet. I wanted to see if others had the same problem and get it confirmed what it's about before getting into anything. Also i have to wait until tomorrow to buy the right screwdriver.

imparanoic

sounds like sticky rubber membrane, open it up and use isopropol alcohol to clean it, should work a charm ( I have opened every single used joypad to  reconditioned them, apart from dual shock 3 as it's complex)

written in the other section

Bekic

Just a quick question: should i clean the pieces of rubber with the liquid aswell or just the contacts on the PCB?

On another note, flipping the piece with the rubbers did not work. First of all the piece has two holes that keep it on the controller and if you flip it it will only fit in one of them and stay on somewhat unstable but more importantly it prevents the top and bottom of the controller to close. I tried the functionality itself (not with the system on) by simply holding the PCB as the bottom but the D-pad was all around ridiculously loose and floaty in a way that it can't be used for gameplay.

mickcris

i usually clean the contacts on the pcb with rubbing alcohol and throw the rest of the controller parts (minus the cord and turbo switches) in the sink with dish detergent.

Bekic

I see, altough i wouldn't feel comfortable about doing that on anything other than plastic.

What about the topic? Have you experienced the same shit and if so, did cleaning fix it? I'm inclined to believe that it's really more about wear & tear over the years than anything else.

bob

Quote from: Bekic on 03/26/2015, 09:17 AMAlright, i made a thread like this before in the PCE section but since it's only the game in question that's Japanese it might fit better here.

The issue i'm having is the command registering as up when i press left due to a "tilting effect" on the controller, making it very unreliable to play with. It's so fucking sensitive that i have to sit there and consciously press/hold it down in a very light manner at wich point it won't register but there's just no way to keep that in mind while having to make instant decisions. I don't know if that's just the way the controller is supposed to be or if i'm doing something wrong but it really bums me out.

The game is called Zipang. Occasionally it will happen in Castlevania: Rondo of Blood aswell where i use the suibweapon when i only want to do a regular attack but i feel like i have better control of that.

Surely i can't be the only one having this type of issue that's exactly how it feels ](*,)
Yer kind of needy.

Bekic

Quote from: galam on 03/27/2015, 05:06 PM
Quote from: Bekic on 03/26/2015, 09:17 AMAlright, i made a thread like this before in the PCE section but since it's only the game in question that's Japanese it might fit better here.

Yer kind of needy.
Meaning what? Do you have anything to say about the issue?

bob

LOL.  Under 30 posts, no intro, but...

Help...

HElp...

HELp...

HELP...  << (this one is actually pretty classic, so thanks for it.)

Bekic

Yes, and not a single one is inviting you to share your personal opinion about me. Just move along to what you do want to discuss if you don't have anything to add here. Don't derail my topic with this kind of bullshit.

esteban

Quote from: Bekic on 03/27/2015, 05:54 PMYes, and not a single one is inviting you to share your personal opinion about me. Just move along to what you do want to discuss if you don't have anything to add here. Don't derail my topic with this kind of bullshit.
Comrade, it's OK.

Everyone has given you excellent advice. I was hoping you would have reported back already to tell us what worked!

Now, who are you?
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

WoodyXP

Quote from: Bekic on 03/27/2015, 04:49 PMWhat about the topic? Have you experienced the same shit and if so, did cleaning fix it? I'm inclined to believe that it's really more about wear & tear over the years than anything else.
I've had the same issue.  In my case I just pulled out the rubber disc that sits under the d-pad and washed it with soap and water.  Worked like a charm.
"I bathe in AES carts."

bob

Quote from: Bekic on 03/27/2015, 05:54 PMYes, and not a single one is inviting you to share your personal opinion about me. Just move along to what you do want to discuss if you don't have anything to add here. Don't derail my topic with this kind of bullshit.
LOL again.  I was typing a response, but it took longer than 5 seconds, so i thought the forum was broken.

ToyMachine78

IMG

Bekic

Quote from: esteban on 03/27/2015, 06:56 PM
Comrade, it's OK.

Everyone has given you excellent advice. I was hoping you would have reported back already to tell us what worked!

Now, who are you?
Well actually i was waiting out on getting it confirmed that the isoprop could be used on the rubber aswell. Now i used it anyway. I assembled the controller maybe only half an hour after that (and maybe a little less), but i think it's alright anyway.

What worked? I can't say i noticed anything. But then again i don't know if it's supposed to be like that to begin with or what wear may have of an affect on the matter.

I'd really like to see others play the same game and if something would've been different.

A 23 year old guy from Sweden.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: Bekic on 03/27/2015, 08:14 PM
Comrade, it's OK.

Now, who are you?
Well actually i was waiting out on getting it confirmed that the isoprop could be used on the rubber aswell. Now i used it anyway. I assembled the controller maybe only half an hour after that (and maybe a little less), but i think it's alright anyway.

What worked? I can't say i noticed anything. But then again i don't know if it's supposed to be like that to begin with or what wear may have of an affect on the matter.

I'd really like to see others play the same game and if something would've been different.

Great intro 23 yo guy from Sweden! I feel like were brothers from another mother already.

esteban

Comrade, it's OK.

Now, who are you?

Comrade!

I know you were worried about choosing the best method to fix the controller. You did not want to rush into it and potentially make a mistake.

However, just use your common sense:
(1) Fixing things is always, ALWAYS, a process of trial-and-error
(2) So, try something, then report back with the results
(3) Try a different approach
(4) Report back the results.

:)

Also, we have a very small community here...so don't worry about a thread getting derailed...the only time a thread is *truly* derailed is when there is a battle between members who do not like each other.

---------------------

Back on topic:

Use common sense when fixing things. For example, if you have never used acetone* before, maybe you should try other methods first. Maybe you shouldn't even use acetone, ever. If you are afraid to try something (for example, using sandpaper), then research the technique first.

GENERAL RULE: Try the simpler, less risky methods first. Often, they work and you don't have to worry about a more "serious" solution.

*I would never use acetone. I joke about it, but I would never actually use it.

Bekic

Quote from: guest on 03/27/2015, 08:22 PM
Comrade, it's OK.

Now, who are you?

Great intro 23 yo guy from Sweden! I feel like were brothers from another mother already.
I don't know what to say.

Bekic

Quote from: esteban on 03/28/2015, 07:16 AM
Comrade, it's OK.

Now, who are you?

Comrade!

I know you were worried about choosing the best method to fix the controller. You did not want to rush into it and potentially make a mistake.

However, just use your common sense:
(1) Fixing things is always, ALWAYS, a process of trial-and-error
(2) So, try something, then report back with the results
(3) Try a different approach
(4) Report back the results.

:)

Also, we have a very small community here...so don't worry about a thread getting derailed...the only time a thread is *truly* derailed is when there is a battle between members who do not like each other.

---------------------

Back on topic:

Use common sense when fixing things. For example, if you have never used acetone* before, maybe you should try other methods first. Maybe you shouldn't even use acetone, ever. If you are afraid to try something (for example, using sandpaper), then research the technique first.

GENERAL RULE: Try the simpler, less risky methods first. Often, they work and you don't have to worry about a more "serious" solution.

*I would never use acetone. I joke about it, but I would never actually use it.
What other metods? There's only so much that can be done. I used a legitimate cleaning substance and it didn't work so the issue has lay elsewhere.

esteban

Comrade, you haven't tried baking it in an oven yet (425 degrees F, middle rack, on a tray) or putting it in the dishwasher (detergent only, regular cycle).

Report back with results.

Bekic

I don't want to go that far. If something was due to dirt it should've already been solved by the isopropyl.

ClodBusted

Acetone is very useful for stripping paint from failed resin model kit paintjobs, lol. But it's not that friendly to plastic.

Bekic

I don't know what the fuck to do. It feels ridiculous sorting out games based on what will work properly or not instead of good vs bad.

Bekic

Quote from: Nulltard on 03/28/2015, 05:11 PM
Quote from: Bekic on 03/28/2015, 04:48 PMI don't know what the fuck to do. It feels ridiculous sorting out games based on what will work properly or not instead of good vs bad.
buy a new turbo pad already and raffle off your old janky one. Or keep it and let friends use it when playing competitive two player games.

seriously... a controller is cheap to replace. Don't judge a console's library based on a bad controller.
Yeah i've thought about it. But the ones i can find on Ebay are neither plentiful nor cheap. And also they're Japanese and the controller plug is supposedly different and won't fit?

synbiosfan

Bekic

I don't want to delve into any technical modifications. It's not an area i have knowledge about.

I'm not butting heads with anyone but merely pointing out that he shouldn't write in my threads to complain about the topics i start, wich is true.

I do like how minimalistic that site's layout looks. From what i can see it looks pretty inactive but yeah i guess i could join.

bob

Quote from: NulltardPromise me you'll stop butting heads with cool peeps like galam and esteban, and sign up at DoxPhile, and I'll send you a good tg16 control pad for whatever monies you believe to be appropriate for such a thing. Deal? :D
what the fuck is wrong with you?

esteban

ToyMachine78

Quote from: Nulltard on 03/28/2015, 05:11 PM
Quote from: Bekic on 03/28/2015, 04:48 PMI don't know what the fuck to do. It feels ridiculous sorting out games based on what will work properly or not instead of good vs bad.
buy a new turbo pad already and raffle off your old janky one. Or keep it and let friends use it when playing competitive two player games.

seriously... a controller is cheap to replace. Don't judge a console's library based on a bad controller.
Best advice yet!

NecroPhile

You're making this waaaaay too difficult, Bekic.

Quote from: Bekic on 03/27/2015, 10:10 AMOn another note, flipping the piece with the rubbers did not work. First of all the piece has two holes that keep it on the controller and if you flip it it will only fit in one of them and stay on somewhat unstable but more importantly it prevents the top and bottom of the controller to close. I tried the functionality itself (not with the system on) by simply holding the PCB as the bottom but the D-pad was all around ridiculously loose and floaty in a way that it can't be used for gameplay.
It's just for a quick test; you don't need to assemble it and play through the game for a few hours just to see if it works better or not.  Loose lay the rubber bit and d-pad part atop the pcb.

Quote from: Bekic on 03/27/2015, 08:14 PMI'd really like to see others play the same game and if something would've been different.
I don't have a copy of the game to test and see if it's supposed to control wonky, and I can't be bothered to load it on the flash cart or test it in Magic Engine.  Why should I take the time when you won't?

Bekic

Time for an update. Haven't done anything Duo-related for a while. I bought a TG16 controller that was supposedly brand new and a controller adapter to make it fit on my DUO and that same fucking issue as before still remains. This one felt more soft and "mushy" on the the D-pad directions, barely any resistance to it and the right direction in particular just feeling awkward as fuck, i think people can relate. It's very possible that i got fucked over.

Pokun

Maybe it's not the controller then. PCE controllers have quite good d-pads but sometimes I accidentally hit diagonals on them due to the shape of the d-pad. In Dracula X I'm sometimes accidentally using special weapons when I'm trying to use the whip due to this.

I'd recommend a Hori controller with a Nintendo-style cross-pad, but I guess you need an adapter for that since you have an USA duo.

But of course it's possible both pads are faulty.

bob

Bekic

Quote from: Pokun on 06/20/2015, 03:06 PMMaybe it's not the controller then. PCE controllers have quite good d-pads but sometimes I accidentally hit diagonals on them due to the shape of the d-pad. In Dracula X I'm sometimes accidentally using special weapons when I'm trying to use the whip due to this.

I'd recommend a Hori controller with a Nintendo-style cross-pad, but I guess you need an adapter for that since you have an USA duo.

But of course it's possible both pads are faulty.
Yeah it happens to me too on Dracula X but this game Zipang uses "up" for jumping so it can't even be played properly. This shit shouldn't be happening at all.

Pokun

Yeah Zipang is really a rebranded Solomon no Kagi isn't it? I can imagine it being horrible to play with a d-pad that easily hits diagonals.

Hori Fighting Commander PC is a good 6-button controller with a cross-shaped d-pad.

Bardoly

Quote from: Pokun on 06/21/2015, 03:27 PMYeah Zipang is really a rebranded Solomon no Kagi isn't it? I can imagine it being horrible to play with a d-pad that easily hits diagonals.

Hori Fighting Commander PC is a good 6-button controller with a cross-shaped d-pad.
I have 2 of the Hori Fighting Commander PC pads, and I recommend them very highly.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Pokun on 06/20/2015, 03:06 PMI'd recommend a Hori controller with a Nintendo-style cross-pad, but I guess you need an adapter for that since you have an USA duo.
All Duos have mini-DIN connectors, ya silly goose.

Bekic

Quote from: Pokun on 06/21/2015, 03:27 PMYeah Zipang is really a rebranded Solomon no Kagi isn't it? I can imagine it being horrible to play with a d-pad that easily hits diagonals.

Yeah it's like Solomon's Key but with different levels.

The D-pad definately looks more promising, i'll get one and see how it goes.

Gredler

Quote from: Bekic on 06/22/2015, 11:28 AM

Your complaints don't sound like they are due to a mechanical error with the controller membranes, but rather a complaint about the functional design of the Duo/Turbo/PCE D-Pad. What is your opinion of the Master System pad, or Genesis/Mega Drive pad? I've always felt like my Turbo controller fell nicely between those two in terms of functionality. While not as glorious as the Genesis/Mega Drive controller, it was not nearly as bad as the master system DPad.

If you have an issue with the circular nature of the Duo/Turbo/PCE pad, I would certainly suggest trying the Hori fighting commander 6 pad. I picked one up not too long ago, and it responds almost identically like my SNES pads.

That being said, I really do feel like using a the Hori Fighting Commander pad contributes to the loss of the authenticity and nostalgia "feel" factor I associate with playing these old game systems. Like using a Genesis/Mega Drive controller to play 2600 Missile Command instead of using the Atari joystick - or in arcade with a track ball - the feel of the controller is a large part of my enjoyment of a system. Might as well play it on a keyboard with an emulator, if feel and authenticity is not a factor lol

Bekic

Quote from: Gredler on 06/22/2015, 01:36 PM
Quote from: Bekic on 06/22/2015, 11:28 AM

Your complaints don't sound like they are due to a mechanical error with the controller membranes, but rather a complaint about the functional design of the Duo/Turbo/PCE D-Pad. What is your opinion of the Master System pad, or Genesis/Mega Drive pad? I've always felt like my Turbo controller fell nicely between those two in terms of functionality. While not as glorious as the Genesis/Mega Drive controller, it was not nearly as bad as the master system DPad.

If you have an issue with the circular nature of the Duo/Turbo/PCE pad, I would certainly suggest trying the Hori fighting commander 6 pad. I picked one up not too long ago, and it responds almost identically like my SNES pads.

That being said, I really do feel like using a the Hori Fighting Commander pad contributes to the loss of the authenticity and nostalgia "feel" factor I associate with playing these old game systems. Like using a Genesis/Mega Drive controller to play 2600 Missile Command instead of using the Atari joystick - or in arcade with a track ball - the feel of the controller is a large part of my enjoyment of a system. Might as well play it on a keyboard with an emulator, if feel and authenticity is not a factor lol
I never tried Master System but it's funny you should mention Genesis because i have the exact same issue with that one. I bought a brand new one and the issue STILL remained, hell it felt even more unprecise than my used condition one. The former has white markings around the buttons and the latter red. It depressed the fuck out of me and i haven't played the Genesis for a good while now.

You hit the nail straight on the head. I want to play with the original controller and the first version at that if there are multiple because that's what the games were created with in mind and the authenticity of it but sometimes the situation is just set up in a bad way. It's a real shame that it has to be that way.

Pokun

Sega d-pads are not X-Box bad but they are certainly no Nintendo d-pad either. I think NEC's d-pads are slightly better than Sega d-pads.

Quote from: NecroPhile on 06/22/2015, 10:42 AM
Quote from: Pokun on 06/20/2015, 03:06 PMI'd recommend a Hori controller with a Nintendo-style cross-pad, but I guess you need an adapter for that since you have an USA duo.
All Duos have mini-DIN connectors, ya silly goose.
Oh right I forgot about that. Then there's no reason to not get a Japanese controller!

So Bekic just get a Hori controller, I did that too and love it! And since you will already have at least three controllers you might as well pick up a multi-tap and some Bomberman. :)

Bekic

Alrigght, it's been a while and now it's time for an update. I bought the 6 button Hori Fighting Commander PC and the issue is MUCH less prone to happen but sometimes it still does and yes it bugs me. To my surprise the if you have a controller with 3 buttons the game offers an optional directions layout with an actual button to jump instead of up on the D-pad and this pretty much eliminates the issue but that's really not the point. It should work regardless and like i said the original 2-button controllers don't even offer this option so it's still fucked up.

NecroPhile

Since I got an everdrive loaded with everything (like a proper jacket potato), I bothered to give Zipang a go, and imagine my surprise when it controlled just fine.  The only thing that's "fucked up" is a certain someone's inability to effectively use a controller.  :lol:

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: Gredler on 06/22/2015, 01:36 PMYour complaints don't sound like they are due to a mechanical error with the controller membranes, but rather a complaint about the functional design of the Duo/Turbo/PCE D-Pad. What is your opinion of the Master System pad, or Genesis/Mega Drive pad? I've always felt like my Turbo controller fell nicely between those two in terms of functionality. While not as glorious as the Genesis/Mega Drive controller, it was not nearly as bad as the master system DPad.
The Sega pads are especially awful for being too sensitive on the diagonals. I can't beat Winger Clinger in Battletoads Genesis, because its nearly impossible to get the natural directions only on the DPad, and that level is especially sensitive. The master system Dpad is the worst of the bunch.
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

NecroPhile

esteban

I had forgotten about this Shining Moment  for pcefx history.

BOTTOM LINE: A  little acetone never hurt anybody.