10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Retro VGS Game Console

Started by Mathius, 03/28/2015, 10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koop

Quote from: guest on 10/05/2015, 07:25 PMJust imagine Square Enix, Konami, and Capcom jumping on board to revive their classic Secret of Mana & Final Fantasy titles, Castlevania, or even Mega Man?  If they find that sequels to classic series working out, maybe they will even develop original content.
Not a snowball's chance in hell that would ever happen which is the whole point of why this project was/is a failure. Too much wishful thinking. Would've been cool if it worked out that way somehow.

_Paul

NightWolve

Interesting.

Eh, I think I agree with what elmer said about it (the "Kevtris 3000"), it isn't a bad idea as far as him designing a super accurate all-in-one emulation box whereby we acknowledge retro systems aren't gonna last forever and this would be the 2nd best thing versus original hardware as a replacement down the road. I'm still more likely to settle for cheap Windows tablets with micro-HMDI output and using emulators on 'em as far as repurposing into a "console," but yeah, I think there's a market for this. It's not a far-fetched "retro-land" fantasy like what the Retro-VGS is trying to sell people on...

Other thoughts: One motherboard with one HDMI output and a separate digital-to-analog module that supports all possible classic analog signals (Composite, S-Video, RGB, YPbPr, VGA, etc.) to separate costs is pretty thoughtful. So those who'll be fine with HDMI won't have to subsidize a console with all the classic video signal outputs, and those that still want to use a CRT can pay more for the ability should they want it.

Well, there's not much to lampoon here. :)

elmer

Quote from: NightWolve on 10/21/2015, 11:20 AMWell, there's not much to lampoon here. :)
Hahaha ... it's like you're not even trying!  :wink:

How about (from AtariAge) ...

Quote from: AtariAgeI don't know how I can be expected to treat this "Kevtris" guy seriously when all that he has to show is years of experience, working boards, working cores, a protoype, and a plan to keep costs manageable ... but yet, there's not a single picture of what laboratory POWER SUPPLY he's using!
Quote from: AtariAgeI want to believe Kevtris can make this happen. It looks like he knows his stuff.

But honestly, I don't think he knows what color shell to use, and that is very, very disturbing.
Quote from: AtariAgeYeah; it's like he's not even halfway there!

Quote from: NightWolve on 10/16/2015, 01:52 AM
Quote from: John Carlsen SpecsAs a principal hardware engineer, John created a Sony PlayStation for emerging foreign markets
Well, depends on what "created a Sony Playstation for emerging foreign markets" means... What are they trying to claim by that anyway?
He worked (lead?) a team that was doing a cost-reduced version of the PS1 for emerging foreign markets. That means taking the old design and using newer parts to integrate more things and reduce manufacturing costs. The project was never released.

Not the hardest of tasks, with little creativity involved, and it never got manufactured anyway, so nobody can be sure if it ever worked.

Quote from: guest on 10/15/2015, 11:58 PMActually, name dropping like that is a major red flag. I get that he wants to trumpet his school, but he's not doing himself any favors with that. As someone in academia, pulling something like that would just about be an automatic disqualifier from any job. I can only imagine in industry it's equally frowned upon.
Yep, it totally smells of B.S. Just putting it in there says a whole lot about how his mind works. Conclusion: Toxic, Avoid!

Quote from: NightWolve on 10/15/2015, 11:22 PM
Quote from: JohnCarlsenAs a principal hardware engineer, John created a Sony PlayStation for emerging foreign markets and co-founded Iguana Entertainment, where he created powerful low-cost software-development interfaces for SNES, Saturn, PlayStation, and Jaguar.

John has also worked for Atari, Atari's former president and co-founder Nolan Bushnell, and Activision, and has taught college courses in game development.

John has degrees in computer science and management from St. Edward's University in Austin, and five degrees from De Anza College in Cupertino—where Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak studied.
But anyway, that resume is silly in its "Hey, I happened to attend the same university as an Apple co-founder once did!" unnecessary padding... It was already a respectable resume objectively for a videogame software/hardware developer, but he ruins his credibility by adding something unnecessary like that.
Actually, there's a bunch of warning signs in there ... particularly for someone that has supposedly been running a hardware consulting/prototyping/manufacturing company for a number of years.

Quote from: guest on 10/16/2015, 08:54 AMIt boils down to these guys are clowns, desperately trying to pass off a poorly planned idea, with a unsustainable business model, in the hopes of achieving riches and greatness so they can pull themselves out of their normal mundane lives.
Hahaha ... cruel, but fair IMHO.  :wink:

Mathius

Those Atariage posts are hilarious.

NightWolve

Quote from: elmer on 10/21/2015, 09:42 PM
Quote from: NightWolve on 10/21/2015, 11:20 AMWell, there's not much to lampoon here. :)
Hahaha ... it's like you're not even trying!  :wink:

How about (from AtariAge) ...
Quote from: AtariAgeI don't know how I can be expected to treat this "Kevtris" guy seriously when all that he has to show is years of experience, working boards, working cores, a prototype, and a plan to keep costs manageable ... but yet, there's not a single picture of what laboratory POWER SUPPLY he's using!
Quote from: AtariAgeI want to believe Kevtris can make this happen. It looks like he knows his stuff. But honestly, I don't think he knows what color shell to use, and that is very, very disturbing.
Quote from: AtariAgeYeah; it's like he's not even halfway there!
:lol: :lol:

elmer

Yes, I know that I should just let this all go ... but, tough!  :wink:

From Facebook ...

Quote from: RetroVGSRETRO VGS
October 24 at 4:42pm ·

Just a note we are making great progress with a newly engineered RVGS. The good thing is that RVGS is going to be better and less expensive for going through all this. Please hang loose and we will make sure it will be worth the extra wait. In the meantime what's everyone playing this weekend?
It's good to know that it will be both "better" and "less expensive" ... and that they really want to be chatty and friendly as they gently reach around to lift your wallet out of your pocket.  :)

NightWolve

Quote from: elmer on 10/26/2015, 03:54 PMIt's good to know that it will be both "better" and "less expensive" ... and that they really want to be chatty and friendly as they gently reach around to lift your wallet out of your pocket.  :)
Just tryin' to keep the dream alive. :)

Sarumaru

Preordered! Can't wait to experience a true retro experience!! Experiencing! !!

elmer

Quote from: Sarumaru on 10/26/2015, 04:31 PMPreordered! Can't wait to experience a true retro experience!! Experiencing! !!
Do you mean the experience of seeing over-hyped games get delayed, and then get delayed some more, and then either get cancelled or just finally appear and be a huge disappointment?  :-k

Yep ... they do seem to be doing a great job of accurately recreating that retro experience!  :wink:

Psycho Punch

Retro VGS, relive the days where magazines would give false blurbs about PCE games coming to the US, today.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

crazydean

Quote from: guest on 10/26/2015, 06:55 PMRetro VGS, relive the days where magazines would give false blurbs about PCE games coming to the US, today.
I'm expecting more of a Duke Nukem Forever situation.

NightWolve

Quote from: guest on 10/26/2015, 06:55 PMRetro VGS, relive the days where magazines would give false blurbs about PCE games coming to the US, today.
I still have all my GameFan magazines for that. :)

LostFlunky

Quote from: elmer on 10/26/2015, 03:54 PMYes, I know that I should just let this all go ... but, tough!  :wink:

From Facebook ...

Quote from: RetroVGSRETRO VGS
October 24 at 4:42pm ·

Just a note we are making great progress with a newly engineered RVGS. The good thing is that RVGS is going to be better and less expensive for going through all this. Please hang loose and we will make sure it will be worth the extra wait. In the meantime what's everyone playing this weekend?
It's good to know that it will be both "better" and "less expensive" ... and that they really want to be chatty and friendly as they gently reach around to lift your wallet out of your pocket.  :)
So Mike hasn't learned the biggest lesson in all of this - that he needs to keep his mouth shut....

Can he not see how ridiculous it is that the first (failed) IGG campaign isn't even over, yet he is spouting that they have gone back to the drawing board and already have "better" and "less expensive"?

o.pwuaioc

The mere fact that it is already less expensive speaks volumes to how incompetent the team actually is. If they could make it better and less expensive in less than a month, why the hell did they not wait another month!

elmer

Quote from: guest on 10/27/2015, 09:17 AMThe mere fact that it is already less expensive speaks volumes to how incompetent the team actually is. If they could make it better and less expensive in less than a month, why the hell did they not wait another month!
I don't think that John Carlsen seems like he was the right guy to engineer a low-cost and well-designed system for them, but I totally believe that he was just continually bloating up the system costs in order to try to deliver on the crazy stuff that Mike kept on promising.

Haha ... yep, still 8 days left on the original failed IndieGoGo, and they're already promising the world for the next one, and heaping all the blame on John Carlsen.  :-s

From IndieGogo yesterday ...

Quote from: RetroVGSWe are now working with a new lead hardware engineer and have been successful reengineering a good chunk of cost out of our initial design by simplifying our PCB architecture.  We will be back by the end of the year with a playable prototype, a lower purchase price and a significantly lower minimum campaign goal.  We appreciate your support and hope we can count on it again when we bring RETRO VGS to Kickstarter this winter.

Thanks again,

- Mike & Steve
Quote from: Lost Monkey on 10/27/2015, 07:16 AMSo Mike hasn't learned the biggest lesson in all of this - that he needs to keep his mouth shut....

Can he not see how ridiculous it is that the first (failed) IGG campaign isn't even over, yet he is spouting that they have gone back to the drawing board and already have "better" and "less expensive"?
And now they're already talking about launching a new Kickstarter campaign early next year ... even though they're still putting the 1st prototype system together and, from FaceBook ...

Quote from: RetroVGSWe are waiting to have the hardware nailed down before approaching or reappoaching dev's at this time so not to waste anyone's time. It is my hope they will get back on board once they see a playable prototype.
So they still need to persuade their Steam-game-on-a-cart developers that they'll do a better job this time, and get them to sign up again.

Nope, I don't think that he's learned that lesson at all!

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 10/27/2015, 09:17 AMThe mere fact that it is already less expensive speaks volumes to how incompetent the team actually is. If they could make it better and less expensive in less than a month, why the hell did they not wait another month!
Just wait until they give up on the next kickstarter after it fails and miraculously come up with something even betterer and even cheaperer before that kickstarter finishes bleeding out.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

o.pwuaioc

Did the "dev's" typo annoy anyone else? I mean, if you're already this unprofessional, I guess it doesn't really matter.

Joe Redifer

7 days left on the Indiegogo. I think we can do it. C'mon guys only 1.88 million dollars left to go!

elmer

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/28/2015, 12:47 AM7 days left on the Indiegogo. I think we can do it. C'mon guys only 1.88 million dollars left to go!
Let me just get my American Express Black out and make all those dreams come true.  8)

Wait ... what ... oh cra*p ... you mean that black spray paint doesn't count?  #-o

But I had a DREAM!!!! That's not fair!!!!  :cry:

elmer

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/28/2015, 12:47 AM7 days left on the Indiegogo. I think we can do it. C'mon guys only 1.88 million dollars left to go!
17 hours left now ... C'mon guys ... it's still possible!

Perhaps the "fans" should buy some lottery tickets for them?  :-k

In the meantime ... they're still posting updates about how wonderful the "redesign" is going to be (with no details), and there's a new article with Mike Kennedy still mentioning Sega, Konami and Capcom as potential developers.  ](*,)

NightWolve

Heh, you're gonna squeeze every last possible lulz out of these guys, aren't ya John ?? ;)

elmer

Quote from: NightWolve on 11/03/2015, 10:35 AMHeh, you're gonna squeeze every last possible lulz out of these guys, aren't ya John ?? ;)
Haha ... yep, I'm still addicted to the train-wreck.  :wink:

Some of the incompetence is just funny to watch, like Mike's recent posting of "We'll be back soon, on KickStarter" ... on their IndieGogo site ... which was soon deleted.

But I actually get annoyed when I see pure snake-oil salesmanship, like him continuing to mention Sega, Konami and Capcom in new interviews.

He might just as well go around saying that if you buy a Retro VGS your thinning-hair will suddenly start growing back, and that you will magically become irresistible to the opposite sex.  ](*,)

Sarumaru

You all just gotta beliiiiive~ Retro VGS will be the new home to games like Megaman and Castlevaniaaaa and SANIC.

Gentlegamer

IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

DeshDildo

Hahahahahaha.... you must be shitting me.  I can't believe this stuff is real.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 12/17/2015, 12:03 PMA new development

http://www.retrovgs.com/f.a.q..html

IMG
I really hope it works out is all I am saying.  No BS no hype, just a system and games.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

sirhcman

QuoteTrabuco Canyon, CA (PR) – December 17, 2015 Video-game industry pioneer COLECO re-enters the market, partnering with Retro Video Game Systems, Inc., to introduce a new, modern-day video-game system called the COLECO Chameleon.

COLECO Chameleon is a versatile new video-game system that serves as a modern day take on the classic game console and will accurately play classic games from the past.  The COLECO Chameleon also has the ability play brand-new games in the 8-, 16- and 32-bit styles, a growing and popular genre in today's game scape.

Chris Cardillo, a partner in COLECO said, "Mark [Thomann] and I are excited to work hand-in-hand with Retro Video Game Systems, Inc. in the launch of the COLECO Chameleon.  It's ironic that a new 'retro' video-game system would actually revolutionize and revitalize the COLECO brand."

And, for the first time in nearly 20 years, the COLECO Chameleon will once again play brand new games on long-lasting, durable cartridges that can be played, traded, and collected for a lifetime.  And all game cartridges will include high quality, plastic clamshell cases with illustrated instruction manuals and game developer liner notes.

Retro Video Game Systems, Inc. President Mike Kennedy adds, "The COLECO Chameleon is a love-letter to all the classic cartridge based gaming systems that came before it and we love the fact it will succeed COLECO's successful Telstar and Colecovision product lines.  It will take gamers and their families back to a simpler time where games were all about great gameplay and fun factor."

The COLECO Chameleon will launch in early 2016 and will also be demonstrated at Toy Fair New York 2016, February 13-16.

NecroPhile

If they pick a certain set of specs and forget about trying to emulate existing hardware, this makes more sense.

I still don't see the point, though, not when you could accomplish the same goals on a PSTV, PC, etc.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

BlueBMW

Wow, "President" Mike Kennedy just wont give up huh...  I guess we will see what happens lol.

Quotedurable cartridges that can be played, traded, and collected for a lifetime.
Lets make sure we keep the priorities right here.

QuoteHigh-quality boxes, instruction manuals, and other supplemental materials that make each title a collector's item worthy of a space on your shelf.
Which is precisely where 99% of this stuff will end up should it actually happen ;)
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

elmer

It's an early Christmas present for all of us mean trolls!   :wink:

So the "creators" of the Retro VGS team up with the current rights-holders of the old Coleco brand to bring us a "new" system with all the careful hardware design of the famous Coleco Adam!  :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleco_Adam

(Read the "problems" section if you're not familiar with the machine.)

OldMan

QuoteCOLECO Chameleon is a versatile new video-game system that serves as a modern day take on the classic game console and will accurately play classic games from the past.
But can I play my old colecovision games?
I don't see any number keys on the controllers, guys.....

ginoscope

Funny how all these guys ever show is that jaguar case and now with a new logo.  They got burned for not having a prototype during their indigo campaign and now because they branded it with Coleco they are going to be ready in 2016.

Wow my mind is blown....but it's a funny read.

SignOfZeta

Now they just need a "Powered By Magnavox" logo in the corner. Maybe they could license some Blast Proccessing technology from Sega.
IMG

technozombie

Wow, these RetroVGS guys just don't get it.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: guest on 12/17/2015, 12:43 PMIf they pick a certain set of specs and forget about trying to emulate existing hardware, this makes more sense.

I still don't see the point, though, not when you could accomplish the same goals on a PSTV, PC, etc.
Or a raspberry pi. This is way past a parody of itself.

johnnykonami

Oh, man it's back...  this time taking a big sweaty dump on my very first game console that I ever owned!  I don't know how much clout the Coleco name even has anymore.  But yeah, as others have already pointed out, it's a Jaguar console shell, with a Nintendo Wii Pro controller, and now with Coleco stamped on the front...  Makes less sense than the Coleco Flashback they've already released! (Which despite still having my actual Coleco, I considered, but my sister got me an Atari Flashback 4 a couple years ago and it was easy to see the problems with these despite coming with extras like cool numpad overlays.)

Guess we'll see where they are going with this, probably having the name brand also means they have some financial backing from the Coleco license holders.

Psycho Punch

This is just too funny.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

OldMan

QuoteMakes less sense than the Coleco Flashback they've already released! (Which despite still having my actual Coleco, I considered,
Don't bother with the coleco flashback, unless you get it really cheap (ie, < $20).
It feels like an emulator, the controllers are the wrong size (and you can't use real coleco controllers), and there are only 2-3 decent games on it.

Yeah, I'm a geek. I have the flashbacks sitting by their respective machines. Haven't played any of them in months. (Though comix zone on the sega one was good.)

johnnykonami

Quote from: TheOldMan on 12/17/2015, 08:52 PMDon't bother with the coleco flashback, unless you get it really cheap (ie, < $20).
It feels like an emulator, the controllers are the wrong size (and you can't use real coleco controllers), and there are only 2-3 decent games on it.

Yeah, I'm a geek. I have the flashbacks sitting by their respective machines. Haven't played any of them in months. (Though comix zone on the sega one was good.)
Yeah, in general I know they are just kind of a letdown.  I've owned a Coleco but I've never even played Intellivision, and I always wanted to... know anything about that one?  Same deal?  Both of these systems sucks to emulate due to many games reliance on the number pad, especially in a tv/gamepad situation.  I guess if you were sitting in front of your PC with a keyboard you have either the number keys or the numpad to choose from.

Oh, and the Colecovision controllers have always been kinda bad, I remember even as a kid how stiff they were.  Makes me wonder when I get it back out again if I can open up my controllers and do some mod to improve them, y'know, lube them puppies up.  Or, I could just plug in a genny controller after I start up a game!

SignOfZeta

Quote from: johnnykonami on 12/17/2015, 08:29 PMOh, man it's back...  this time taking a big sweaty dump on my very first game console that I ever owned!  I don't know how much clout the Coleco name even has anymore.  But yeah, as others have already pointed out, it's a Jaguar console shell, with a Nintendo Wii Pro controller, and now with Coleco stamped on the front...  Makes less sense than the Coleco Flashback they've already released! (Which despite still having my actual Coleco, I considered, but my sister got me an Atari Flashback 4 a couple years ago and it was easy to see the problems with these despite coming with extras like cool numpad overlays.)

Guess we'll see where they are going with this, probably having the name brand also means they have some financial backing from the Coleco license holders.
I seriously doubt this comes with any kind of cash infusion. They probably have a percentage deal to pay Coleco if this increasingly fucked up console ever gets made and that's probably it.

There are a bunch of brands that only exist as a name. They should put all of them on this thing. Nakamichi, Hummer, whatever they can get. Make it look like a NASCAR.
IMG

Mathius

Coleco is just a name like Atari. There is no heritage when you really think about it.

OldMan

QuoteI've owned a Coleco but I've never even played Intellivision, and I always wanted to... know anything about that one?
Got the intellivison one for my nephew. I never had an intellivision, but his comment was it was "meh". Not as laggy as the coleco one, and actually had a lot of the 'real' intellivision games. Iirc, he was a bit disappointed the talking games he liked weren't on there. Not sure if it was just favorite games missing, or if the speech module didn't work.

Fwiw: I think the intellivision one was $30 after xmas, so wait and look for it then :)

Mathius

Quote from: TheOldMan on 12/17/2015, 11:27 PM
QuoteI've owned a Coleco but I've never even played Intellivision, and I always wanted to... know anything about that one?
Got the intellivison one for my nephew. I never had an intellivision, but his comment was it was "meh". Not as laggy as the coleco one, and actually had a lot of the 'real' intellivision games. Iirc, he was a bit disappointed the talking games he liked weren't on there. Not sure if it was just favorite games missing, or if the speech module didn't work.

Fwiw: I think the intellivision one was $30 after xmas, so wait and look for it then :)
From what I remember reading the Int Flashback had the voice module games. I was kind of interested in getting the Coleco Flashback but not anymore. I'd still like to find a real one.

johnnykonami

Quote from: TheOldMan on 12/17/2015, 11:27 PMGot the intellivison one for my nephew. I never had an intellivision, but his comment was it was "meh". Not as laggy as the coleco one, and actually had a lot of the 'real' intellivision games. Iirc, he was a bit disappointed the talking games he liked weren't on there. Not sure if it was just favorite games missing, or if the speech module didn't work.

Thanks for the heads up!  I was most interested in Diner (psuedo Burgertime sequel, not included) and the D&D games which are included but renamed.  I would pick it up for cheap probably ($20 or less ideally) if I see it, but no hurry.  I love some of this convenience store junk though, we were looking around Walgreens at the stuff they put out for Xmas.  I pointed out this terrible looking plug n' play TV console about the size of a keychain to my girlfriend, it was $15 and full of generic looking games.  Mentioned in passing I would have a good time just probably hating on the included games with my buddies one night, kinda like sitting around and watching a bad movie, y'know?  Total waste of money but I bet I see that pos in my stocking this year.

Quote from: Mathius on 12/17/2015, 11:46 PMFrom what I remember reading the Int Flashback had the voice module games. I was kind of interested in getting the Coleco Flashback but not anymore. I'd still like to find a real one.
I really need to dig mine out and clean it up.  I'd love to get Pepper 2, Frenzy, and some other decent games I never had.  Forget what I do have, it's not much... Donkey Kong (of course), Venture, uh... I had mostly Atari 2600 games for the expansion module I had (which is now lost or stolen, I don't know which.)  I had a great fondness for my Coleco despite the loathsome controllers.  Oh!  Cabbage Patch Kids Adventures in the Park.  One of my first Konami games.  It sounds embarrassing but it's actually a solid Pitfall clone.

crazydean

Has anyone found a good flashback or plug-n-play system that is worth a crap? I have heard that the Atari Flashback is pretty good since you can use the original controllers if you have them.

ParanoiaDragon

What'd be great is if all the Flashbacks had cart ports.  I think only the Genesis ones have ports IIRC.  I know there have been mods in the past for Atari Flashbacks so you can play ye old carts in em'.
IMG

PukeSter

Quote from: elmer on 12/17/2015, 01:59 PMIt's an early Christmas present for all of us mean trolls!   :wink:

So the "creators" of the Retro VGS team up with the current rights-holders of the old Coleco brand to bring us a "new" system with all the careful hardware design of the famous Coleco Adam!  :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleco_Adam

(Read the "problems" section if you're not familiar with the machine.)
This vaguely reminds me of the "Coleco" Super Game Module

An unreleased Colecovision add-on that played Waffle-shape games, with Donkey Kong Jr having an extra level.

A real one came out a couple years ago that adds more RAM, letting you play some Konami MSX ports on your Colecovision. Kinda interesting, but ultimately pointless.

http://www.colecovision.dk/sem.htm?refreshed

Regardless, this whole thing is hilarious.

LostFlunky

Quote from: johnnykonami on 12/17/2015, 09:01 PM
Quote from: TheOldMan on 12/17/2015, 08:52 PMDon't bother with the coleco flashback, unless you get it really cheap (ie, < $20).

Yeah, in general I know they are just kind of a letdown.  I've owned a Coleco but I've never even played Intellivision, and I always wanted to... know anything about that one?  Same deal?  Both of these systems sucks to emulate due to many games reliance on the number pad, especially in a tv/gamepad situation.  I guess if you were sitting in front of your PC with a keyboard you have either the number keys or the numpad to choose from.

Oh, and the Colecovision controllers have always been kinda bad, I remember even as a kid how stiff they were.  Makes me wonder when I get it back out again if I can open up my controllers and do some mod to improve them, y'know, lube them puppies up.  Or, I could just plug in a genny controller after I start up a game!
I have controllers with a bypass adapter built in.  Basically, you plug this arcade style joystick into the CV's controller port and the wire has a Y in it with a place to plug in your CV controller.  They were mass manufactured but I never saw them at retail BITD. I got mine at a surplus store in the 90's. It was called the Prostick III.  (The buttons are on the front BTW)

IMG

majors

Quote from: johnnykonami on 12/17/2015, 09:01 PMI've owned a Coleco but I've never even played Intellivision, and I always wanted to... know anything about that one?  Same deal? 
I'm not expert on INTV, but in the past two years I've had a interest and got 4 systems(I A/V modded 2 so far), handful of carts, the DS release of Intellivision Lives and a the Flashback. The best thing I feel is good on the FB is the pads. Regardless if you love or hate the disc controller, it is truth. Finding a perfect working 1978 INTV pad that works is laughable...with the FB, you get NEW controllers. I have no issue with the EMU that is running the ROMs, and they are the real ROMs from what I understand (unlike the NoaC, plug-in TV pads that came out earlier). If you have any interest in learning more about Intellivision, the Flashback is a cheap, easy start.

PS: I can't play any of more complicated games yet. I stick with Thunder Castle, Night Stalker, Astro Smash, Shark Shark and my current fav: Chip Shot Golf! (shout outs to Jodi for the hook up!). Eventually I'll read the manuals to figure them out.

Quote from: TheOldMan on 12/17/2015, 11:27 PM... actually had a lot of the 'real' intellivision games. Iirc, he was a bit disappointed the talking games he liked weren't on there. Not sure if it was just favorite games missing, or if the speech module didn't work.
B-17, Squad and Spartans are the voice games on the FB, leaving out Tron: Solar Sailer. Disney would not let them have that one or the other two Tron games without "backing up the bank truck".
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)