10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

PC Engine Duo CD problems

Started by pauljh, 04/14/2015, 12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljh

Hi All,
  Anyone give any tips on fixing a PC Engine Duo CD drive?, the drive sounds fine, picks up the disk and then either spins for ever (with a black screen) or crashes after spinning for 30 seconds with a black/red screen (think a large black cross on a red background).

Idea's?, pointers?  Ta!

pulstar

This is the best place to start looking/testing -  https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=8926.0...probably would have been best to place in the repair/mod section...
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

imparanoic

does it plays audio cd fine, if not, could be the lens dirty, 100% isoproprol alcohol (never use less than 100 on a laser lens) and lint free tabs will clean it in no time.

if it reads cds then could be a hard ware issue inside

Pokun

Quote from: imparanoic on 04/14/2015, 09:47 PM100% isoproprol alcohol (never use less than 100 on a laser lens)
I don't think you can make 100%. You can find 99% though.

thesteve

70 is fine just damp, not dripping

pauljh

Well an Audio CD does spin and says its playing but no sound, BUT this may be because its got a hardwired scart coming out of the unit which doesn't carry CD sound (actually that doesn't sound right at all?).  I've tried a legacy old game and it just sits at "just a minute..", I burnt a copy of Dracula X on a taiyo yogen at slow speed and that gives the black "cross" effect..
My next question is how come noone's created a CD emulator that loads images from SD for the PC Engine CD yet (like the PSX one nearly completed)??? (or have they?)

thesteve

sounds like your not getting data out of the CXD1167Q

Pokun

Are official CD games working?

pauljh

Nope official game (I've only managed to dig one out) just spins at "Please wait"