RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Got a PS2 again - any good games?

Started by VenomMacbeth, 04/19/2015, 11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VenomMacbeth

I can finally play my copy of Half-Life!  Huzzah!

I plan on getting Gradius III & IV, Gradius V, Rez, Taito Legends (both of em), Gungriffon Blaze, probably R-Type Final.  I've also been eyeballing Mortal Kombats & Shadow of the Colossus.  Gimme some other good titles! I like the shooters & arcade stuff, but I've been in the mood for a proper adventure lately.

Are there any good medieval Japan-themed games?
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Medic_wheat

Odean Spear among others are great

bartre

Blood will tell sounds right up your alley.

you should also try the onimusha games and Pirates - legend of black kat.

pulstar

The Dynasty Warriors series is pretty good on the PS2, and if you're into RPGs Dragon Quest VIII is one of the best on the system. I can second R-Type final as well, awesome game, and the Gradius series.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

sirhcman

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 04/19/2015, 11:18 AMI can finally play my copy of Half-Life!  Huzzah!

I plan on getting Gradius III & IV, Gradius V, Rez, Taito Legends (both of em), Gungriffon Blaze, probably R-Type Final.  I've also been eyeballing Mortal Kombats & Shadow of the Colossus.  Gimme some other good titles! I like the shooters & arcade stuff, but I've been in the mood for a proper adventure lately.

Are there any good medieval Japan-themed games?
Ico, Katamari Damacy, Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe, Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus

Medic_wheat

Some of these have had ports and bundles for the PS3.

I'd recommend some games that are not available as ports for the PS3.

Medic_wheat

God Hand
.hack and .hack/gu
Rule of Rose
haunting Ground
mega Man and Mega Man X collection
Metal slug anthology
Dark Cloud 1&2
Beyond good and evil
Trapt

ClodBusted

I'd say: Get your PS2 modded to play Japanese games, too.

Gradius III & IV: I found them way too hard for my taste. But that could be just me being a wimp.
Gradius V: Recommended. But the music isn't typical Gradius/Konami stuff.
R-Type Final: Booooooooooooooring.
Superdimension Fortress Macross - Do you remember Love?: If you like Macross/Robotech and Jets that transform to mechs.
[PlayStation2] Macross (マã,¯ãƒ­ã,¹) - Opening, Stage A:01 (Part 1 of 2)
EDIT: In ya face!
Mega Man /MM-X collections: Fuck yeah! The emulation for the 6 NES games is done well, the emulation for MM7 and 8 is pisspoor. MM-X runs good, did not tried the other X games yet. Highly recommended since the collections cost me near nothing last year, and I don't expect the prices to have been risen since (?). Truly a no-brainer.
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim: With a cheat code, you can replace the US dub and CGI-cutscenes with the original JP dub + subtitles & Anime cutscenes.

+ a whole bunch of playworthy PS1 games. But seriously, do the JP mod. Japanese titles are sometimes way more affordable and will open you a whole new world of games.

InfraMan

Quote from: bartre on 04/19/2015, 11:51 AMBlood will tell sounds right up your alley.

Great recommendation, I -love- Blood Will Tell! No one ever seems to talk about it, though...

Just taking a quick look through some of my stuff, you might also try Bujingai, the Castlevania games (Curse of Darkness, Lament of Innocence), Drakengard 1 & 2, Genji: Dawn of the Samurai, Ico, Okami (awesome!!), or Way of the Samurai. There's so much great stuff on the PS2! 8)

Medic_wheat

Quote from: InfraMan on 04/19/2015, 04:17 PM
Quote from: bartre on 04/19/2015, 11:51 AMBlood will tell sounds right up your alley.

Great recommendation, I -love- Blood Will Tell! No one ever seems to talk about it, though...

Just taking a quick look through some of my stuff, you might also try Bujingai, the Castlevania games (Curse of Darkness, Lament of Innocence), Drakengard 1 & 2, Genji: Dawn of the Samurai, Ico, Okami (awesome!!), or Way of the Samurai. There's so much great stuff on the PS2! 8)
Is it based off the movie of the same name?

Never heard of it personally. The game that is

CPTBadAss

I've been really enjoying Taito Legends 2. Raystorm and G-Darius are really fun.

Quote from: guest on 04/19/2015, 04:15 PMI'd say: Get your PS2 modded to play Japanese games, too.
Could you link me some info on how to do this? I feel like I'm drinking from a firehose when I try to look up the info myself. So many options and information spread everywhere.
Maximum Output. Activate the pit.

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: CPTBadAss on 04/19/2015, 05:37 PMI've been really enjoying Taito Legends 2. Raystorm and G-Darius are really fun.

Quote from: guest on 04/19/2015, 04:15 PMI'd say: Get your PS2 modded to play Japanese games, too.
Could you link me some info on how to do this? I feel like I'm drinking from a firehose when I try to look up the info myself. So many options and information spread everywhere.
I'd like to second both points here, on wanting more info on the region mod & enjoying taito legends.  Vol 2 was one of the only games I had last time I owned a PS2, and it was also pretty much the only one I played, and for the games you mentioned.  I wanna re-acquire it so I can enjoy the other great titles on the compilation, namely Metal Black. I have the Saturn version, but I want to see how it compares.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

WoodyXP

Yakuza 1 & 2 are good.  Might be hard to look at if you've played any of the others.
"I bathe in AES carts."

InfraMan

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 04/19/2015, 04:31 PMIs it based off the movie of the same name?

It's based on the old Dororo manga series, which I think actually was made into a movie a while back. I don't think the movie was called Blood Will Tell, though... so I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it's probably not related to the movie you're thinking of.

I could be completely wrong, though. :P

Medic_wheat

Quote from: InfraMan on 04/19/2015, 08:39 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 04/19/2015, 04:31 PMIs it based off the movie of the same name?

It's based on the old Dororo manga series, which I think actually was made into a movie a while back. I don't think the movie was called Blood Will Tell, though... so I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it's probably not related to the movie you're thinking of.

I could be completely wrong, though. :P
Oh wait I am thinking of the movie there will be blood lol

InfraMan

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 04/19/2015, 09:46 PMOh wait I am thinking of the movie there will be blood lol
Lol... now THAT would be a weird game. :lol:

Medic_wheat

Oh get all the light gun games for the PS2

-ninja spirt
-Time Crises 2&3
-vampire night

That one PAL RE Gun Survival game.

jeffhlewis

If you have the setup for it (Guncon and a CRT, namely) - don't shy away from the lightgun games on PS2 - they're mostly all fantastic games and arcade ports. They're also all insanely cheap to buy on eBay ($8-20 each usually):

-Vampire Night (Namco published; Sega-developed...weird, right? HOTD2 with vampires basically)
-Ninja Assault
-Time Crisis: Crisis Zone
-Time Crisis 2
-Time Crisis 3
-Gunvari Collection (JP)

Also...
-Get your hands on Godhand before it gets even more insanely expensive. It's worth it
-Contra: Shattered Soldier is fun, if not impossibly hard
-Gradius V is amazing - get it for sure
-Silent Hill 2 is an absolute masterpiece, and hands down the best survival horror game ever made (for me at least)

ClodBusted

Quote from: CPTBadAss on 04/19/2015, 05:37 PMCould you link me some info on how to do this? I feel like I'm drinking from a firehose when I try to look up the info myself. So many options and information spread everywhere.
There are so many different PS2 motherboard revisions. Hardmodding them requires serious soldering skills and knowledge about the available modchips as well as fixes to the hardware design failures of these PS2 revisions.

I got my SCPH-9x modded by a qualified guy in Germany who also know about the typical hotfixes to lengthen the lifespan of your console.
You should either find somebody local to do it, or see if somebody here on PCEFX is able to help you with the memory card softmod.

TR0N

I can recommend some.

Capcom Classic Collection 1&2
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology
Yakuza 1&2
Sly Cooper 1&2
Activison Anthology
KOF XI
Odin Sphere
Pyschonauts
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Medic_wheat

Also Godhand is something you can get off PSN if the current price is something you want to avoid but yes I'd recommend getting it.

I have yet to buy a physical copy myself but plan to shortly. I only recently completed my .hack games and rule of Rose

roflmao

Raiden III and Silpheed are both fun shooters and should be found relatively cheap.

And your PS2 should be able to play the PS1 library, which opens up another world of great gaming.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 04/21/2015, 01:00 AMRaiden III and Silpheed are both fun shooters and should be found relatively cheap.

And your PS2 should be able to play the PS1 library, which opens up another world of great gaming.
Get all three working design games for the PS2

I only have Growlanser Generations myself.

VenomMacbeth

Well as I said, I'd planned on getting Gungriffon Blaze as I love the first game, and it's a working designs release.

I've not heard good things about Silpheed though :(
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

xcrement5x

Wow, I had no idea God Hand had gotten more expensive. 

There are a lot of good PS2 games out there.  I love the Saturn and Dreamcast, but the PS2 had so many awesome releases and was around for such a long time that the library is very solid. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 04/21/2015, 12:42 PMWow, I had no idea God Hand had gotten more expensive. 

There are a lot of good PS2 games out there.  I love the Saturn and Dreamcast, but the PS2 had so many awesome releases and was around for such a long time that the library is very solid.
How expensive has it gotten per say?

xcrement5x

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 04/21/2015, 02:36 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/21/2015, 12:42 PMWow, I had no idea God Hand had gotten more expensive. 

Well feebay seems to be saying $25-$35, which is a lot more then I spent on my $5 bargain bin copy from Circuit City, and my $10 copy I got from the local media place. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 04/21/2015, 03:30 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 04/21/2015, 02:36 PM

Well feebay seems to be saying $25-$35, which is a lot more then I spent on my $5 bargain bin copy from Circuit City, and my $10 copy I got from the local media place.
Whew. Thought you were going to say $70 and up like some of the ROGs have gotten.

Still yeah. It is one thing when you find a game on clearance versus after the fact when they hype train latches hold and calls games hidden gems and what not rising cost with inflated value.

I picked up my copy of sin and punishment for the Wii NEW sealed at Bestbuy clearance bin for $5. No joke.

Bet that game goes for like $50 sealed now a days lol.

esadajr

I got my PS2 back in 09, I feel like I barely scratched the surface. Gran Turismo 3 and 4, Monster Jam, Okami (no longer a "hidden gem" it seems), Nascar 09, Metal Gear Solid 3, Fatal Frame, Battle Stadium DON, etc (a huge etc)
Gaming since 1985

blkodirty808

@inframan I think you are correct about blood will tell history, and yeah that games despite it's quirkyness is an awesome game. I second God Hand very underrated brawler and for me personally Yakuza 1 and 2 are must play games as well as Sega 2500 series of games love the Gain Ground remaster and also Dragon Force one.

Funny little note for inframan is that movie kicks ass and if you watch the scene where that guy playing the monster with the auger in his hand tries to get off the boat to the island he could hardly see where he was jumping and almost slipped into the water cracks me up when I see that scene. Shaw Brothers movie are always aces :).

cr8zykuban0

if youre looking for a good adventure game, check out the onimusha series. awesome adventure game killing monsters and powering up your armor, weapons, items and special moves. great music and storyline as well

wavering

Mister Mosquito.  For that bath tub scene.