The Disastrous PC-FX

Started by ToyMachine78, 05/09/2015, 06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToyMachine78

nintendolife.com/.../what_nec_and_hudson_did_next_the_disasterous_story_of_the_pc-fx

Feature: What NEC And Hudson Did Next:
The Disasterous Story Of The PC-FX

The history of one of the 32-bit era's biggest flops
by Damien McFerran

IMG

Otaking

I remember reading this same article in Retro Gamer magazine and Aaron Nanto had done the photographs, in fact it says the same at the bottom of the article you linked.

Quote from: Damien McFerranThanks to pcengine-fx.com's Aaron Nanto for providing exclusive hardware and software photography. The feature has been republished with the kind permission of Retro Gamer magazine, where it was previously printed in its entirety. You can subscribe to the magazine by visiting the Imagine Publishing online store.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 05/09/2015, 06:53 PMI remember reading this same article in Retro Gamer magazine and Aaron Nanto had done the photographs, in fact it says the same at the bottom of the article you linked.

Quote from: Damien McFerranThanks to pcengine-fx.com's Aaron Nanto for providing exclusive hardware and software photography. The feature has been republished with the kind permission of Retro Gamer magazine, where it was previously printed in its entirety. You can subscribe to the magazine by visiting the Imagine Publishing online store.
Yeah I noticed that after I linked it. Didn't realize this is old fare.

SamIAm

It could have been worse, but I wasn't particularly impressed. This guy is mostly relying on western media reports and not digging into the Japanese materials at all.

I could nitpick through the sketchy details, but I won't for now. Anyway, what disappoints me is that the full story of the PC-FX is so much bigger than this. You have to start with the PC Engine, and realize that even though it may have done well in '88 and '89, they never had more than maybe 20% of the total Japanese market share. When the Super Famicom came out in late 1990, it spelled doom for the system, and NEC/Hudson shifted their focus to CD-ROM games. In turn, their efforts to set the CD-ROM system apart with unique software caused a shift in the kinds of games that came out on the system. By mid-1993, they were really focusing on developing anime-style digital comics and RPGs, similar to what existed on Japanese PCs but with all the trimmings that a CD could provide. It's from this background that they chose to design the PC-FX the way they did.

esteban

Quote from: SamIAm on 05/09/2015, 09:14 PMIt could have been worse, but I wasn't particularly impressed. This guy is mostly relying on western media reports and not digging into the Japanese materials at all.

I could nitpick through the sketchy details, but I won't for now. Anyway, what disappoints me is that the full story of the PC-FX is so much bigger than this. You have to start with the PC Engine, and realize that even though it may have done well in '88 and '89, they never had more than maybe 20% of the total Japanese market share. When the Super Famicom came out in late 1990, it spelled doom for the system, and NEC/Hudson shifted their focus to CD-ROM games. In turn, their efforts to set the CD-ROM system apart with unique software caused a shift in the kinds of games that came out on the system. By mid-1993, they were really focusing on developing anime-style digital comics and RPGs, similar to what existed on Japanese PCs but with all the trimmings that a CD could provide. It's from this background that they chose to design the PC-FX the way they did.
Correct, the context is crucial for understanding the motivation/intentions of PC-FX.

How do you differentiate your product/software library from competitors?

How do you capitalize on the strengths of your hardware/media ... relationship with developers?

Will customers be able to send faxes from their PC-FX console?

Does the "F" in "FX" stands for "Future"?

You have to anticipate (as in, take a gamble) on where you think the console industry was headed....and what role/segment/niche the PC-FX would fill in that future market.

Does the "FX" in "FX" stand for "Fax"?
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Aggie Tsubi

Eh, not a bad article, but it does pull some of the same old irksome stuff that always seems to creep up in Western articles about the PC-FX. Basically it comes off as somebody did some research and dabbled in the games a little but has no real history or investment in the system, resulting in some bias against it and some statements that are stretching the truth. Like the "opened the floodgates" to "dubious" hentai dating sims comment. It's clear that the writer is biased against adult games and dating sims in general, as if they are inherently inferior to other types of games, but "opened the floodgates"? Seriously? Did the author actually look at the library or just go off of internet hyperbole? It's not hard to analyze the statistics of the library; there are only 60-some games. There are only, what, 6 or 7 adult games? (Depending on if you want to count the Cocktail Pack which is just Pia Carrot and Can Can Bunny packaged together.) Yes, what a deluge of hentai games. *rolls eyes*

Filler

Quote from: Aggie Tsubi on 05/10/2015, 05:58 PMBasically it comes off as somebody did some research and dabbled in the games a little but has no real history or investment in the system, resulting in some bias against it and some statements that are stretching the truth. Like the "opened the floodgates" to "dubious" hentai dating sims comment. It's clear that the writer is biased against adult games and dating sims in general, as if they are inherently inferior to other types of games, but "opened the floodgates"? Seriously? Did the author actually look at the library or just go off of internet hyperbole? It's not hard to analyze the statistics of the library; there are only 60-some games. There are only, what, 6 or 7 adult games? (Depending on if you want to count the Cocktail Pack which is just Pia Carrot and Can Can Bunny packaged together.) Yes, what a deluge of hentai games. *rolls eyes*
Reading a reasonable comment like this one rather than the typical Kotaku echo-chamber genuinely restores some of my faith in humanity. Thanks for that.

I like how the PC-FX had almost as many installments of Anime Freak FX as it did 18 only, or 18 recommended games, but I guess the "digtal magazine" system isn't as fun to deride. The Saturn and Dreamcast both have their share of adults only games, but I digress. I still don't regret translating Pia Carrot, regardless of whether it supports the typical narrative around the PC-FX. Best. Game. Ever. :)

Arkhan Asylum

DISASTROUS
??!?

Someone wants hit.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!