RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Another new homebrew puzzle game!!!!

Started by Jammaniaclord, 07/30/2006, 09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jammaniaclord

Too bad i cannot remember the name of it. Odonadon had the topic posted on his site, but lost the new topics from the last 2 weeks due to a crash or something, and now i am banging my head wondering what tha twebsite is!

Any information greatly appreciated! :D

BTW, the graphics look really cool on this new homebrew.
PC Cocoron Hunter

Odonadon

Something like this (Tongueman's Logic)?  :)

http://turbo2k.net/2006/05/new-tg16pce-game-in-development.html

This wasn't even in the message forum dude, it was posted on the main blog page. :)

OD

CrackTiger

I just posted a video of Tongueman's Logic on YouTube-
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Jammaniaclord

Yeah man that video is BAD ASS! I love the use of the awesome soundtrack from Monster lair!!

I cannot wait to buy this game! WOOT! :D  :D  :D

Thanks guys!
PC Cocoron Hunter

Odonadon

Quote from: "Jammaniaclord"I love the use of the awesome soundtrack from Monster lair!!!

Pardon?  Oh, I must have heard you wrong - I thought you said the soundtrack from Monster Lair was awesome:)

OD

CrackTiger

Quote from: "Odonadon"
Quote from: "Jammaniaclord"I love the use of the awesome soundtrack from Monster lair!!!

Pardon?  Oh, I must have heard you wrong - I thought you said the soundtrack from Monster Lair was awesome:)

OD

Ba-zing!
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Jammaniaclord

OD

Yeah man i love that soundtrack. Always have. You not like it bud?
PC Cocoron Hunter

Odonadon

I don't believe it Jamms, you're pulling my leg :)  A thrasher like you enjoying cheap synthesized steel drums?  I won't believe it :)

And to answer your question, now I find the music pretty crappy :)

Having said that, there's a lot of music I enjoy that not too many other people do :)  But still, Monster Lair? :)

OD

CrackTiger

Quote from: "Odonadon"I don't believe it Jamms, you're pulling my leg :)  A thrasher like you enjoying cheap synthesized steel drums?  I won't believe it :)

And to answer your question, now I find the music pretty crappy :)

Having said that, there's a lot of music I enjoy that not too many other people do :)  But still, Monster Lair? :)

OD

I mainly listen to death metal(when it comes to music by bands), but I still love Monster Lair's soundtrack and other music that isn't just empty pop or 'songs'(only a simple beat for aesthetics).

Jammaniaclord

Monster Lair was one of, if NOT the first, games i ever played to death wheni first got my taste of the NEC world, and i played the hell out if. Being a musician myself, i apreciate many styles of talent, but metal will ALWAYS be my forte'. I could not deny the slappin' funk of the poppin bass, the ripping guitar solo's, the steel drums, and whatever else they could throw in for cool atmosphere in that game.

The game, and music have stuck with me to this day as my first memorable NEC experience. Heh....there are bigger thrashers out there than me. I have chilled out on alot of really hard stuff.

MONSTER LAIR BABY!
PC Cocoron Hunter

Odonadon

Hehe, well I will agree that Monster Lair is a pretty good game and the soundtrack does suit the game, however I will go on record as saying I will never listen to the music if I am not playing Monster Lair :)  I've always considered it one of the worst CD soundtracks for the system, next to Sim Earth of course :)

OD

CrackTiger

Quote from: "Odonadon"Hehe, well I will agree that Monster Lair is a pretty good game and the soundtrack does suit the game, however I will go on record as saying I will never listen to the music if I am not playing Monster Lair :)  I've always considered it one of the worst CD soundtracks for the system, next to Sim Earth of course :)

OD

I'd say the same thing about R-Type Complete, except that I don't like even hearing the bgm in the game, think it's an awful fit and never play it because I hate the 'tunes' so much.

Of course, there are many others who can at least appreciate it, even if they don't love it. But my opinion of it is the same as Keranu's Lazer Dorks FFVII review.

ParanoiaDragon

I, as a musician, also love Monster Lair's music, in & out of the game!  It's not my favorite, but it's still great.  Frankly, if it weren't for video games.......well, & Wu-tang Clan(even though I'm not into them like I used to be :P ) I wouldn't appreciate other types of music!  And I wouldn't be a musician at all.  I would maybe be able to make a few simple hip hop tracks, though, I'll go on record to say, they're not always as simple as they seem.  Some things, & this goes for all music, can be so simple, but, so perfect.  And they don't always just come to your mind when coming up with a tune.  Sometimes they do, I'll suprise myself from time to time.  Anyays, a bit offtrack, my point is, I appreciate a plethora of styles, believe it! :D
IMG

esteban

Holy crap! Monster Lair's soundtrack is friggin' amazing. First, as mentioned, it *perfectly* fits the game (the music for each stage complements, even helps *define* the mood for each stage).

Second, even if some songs are pastiches, they have more heart than the muzak you here in a lot of games! Seriously. And since when has VGM ever elevated itself above muzak? Very rarely, my friends, very rarely.

And I don't want to sound like a broken-record, but I still can't believe the almost-universal hatred of the R-Type complete soundtrack. No need to discuss it here, though, since we can resurrect the old threads.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Odonadon

Quote from: "stevek666"Holy crap! Monster Lair's soundtrack is friggin' amazing. First, as mentioned, it *perfectly* fits the game (the music for each stage complements, even helps *define* the mood for each stage).

Second, even if some songs are pastiches, they have more heart than the muzak you here in a lot of games! Seriously. And since when has VGM ever elevated itself above muzak? Very rarely, my friends, very rarely.

And I don't want to sound like a broken-record, but I still can't believe the almost-universal hatred of the R-Type complete soundtrack. No need to discuss it here, though, since we can resurrect the old threads.

Perhaps I should go on record stating I, too, am a musician.  And it isn't necessarily the melody and tunes of Monster Lair I have a problem with, rather the arrangement and choice of horribly cheap sounding synths.  

I don't know what to tell you guys, I listen to the original Megaman 2 soundtrack every now and then as I consider it brilliant, but it's basically "beeps" and "boops" as it's NES hardware we're talking about here :)  However, I still consider Monster Lair's nice crisp 16-bit CD recording as being much inferior :)

As for R-type, I don't understand the hatred either.  There are a few tunes (stage 3, boss themes) that were done quite well.  I will agree the majority of stage tunes are pretty lame as all they did was remix the original tunes with, again, cheap synths :)

Maybe I have a problem with cheap synths in general, not necessarily Monster Lair :)

Anyway, if I showed my parents (both musicians as well) the soundtrack to Gate of Thunder, then the soundtrack to Monster Lair, there will be laughing :)  It really is pretty bad :)  At leat HuCards have an excuse for having "cheap sounding synths" :)

OD

esteban

Quote from: "stevek666"Holy crap! Monster Lair's soundtrack is friggin' amazing. First, as mentioned, it *perfectly* fits the game (the music for each stage complements, even helps *define* the mood for each stage).

Perhaps I should go on record stating I, too, am a musician.  And it isn't necessarily the melody and tunes of Monster Lair I have a problem with, rather the arrangement and choice of horribly cheap sounding synths.  

I don't know what to tell you guys, I listen to the original Megaman 2 soundtrack every now and then as I consider it brilliant, but it's basically "beeps" and "boops" as it's NES hardware we're talking about here :)  However, I still consider Monster Lair's nice crisp 16-bit CD recording as being much inferior :)

As for R-type, I don't understand the hatred either.  There are a few tunes (stage 3, boss themes) that were done quite well.  I will agree the majority of stage tunes are pretty lame as all they did was remix the original tunes with, again, cheap synths :)

Maybe I have a problem with cheap synths in general, not necessarily Monster Lair :)

Anyway, if I showed my parents (both musicians as well) the soundtrack to Gate of Thunder, then the soundtrack to Monster Lair, there will be laughing :)  It really is pretty bad :)  At leat HuCards have an excuse for having "cheap sounding synths" :)

OD
Megaman 2 soundtrack is one of the best of all time, of all systems, as far as I am concerned :)

Yeah, I should clarify that it isn't the "Red Book" that I like, but the songs and their arrangements that I really like for Monster Lair.

Of course, this is a matter of personal preference and I would never suggest that there will ever be a definitive verdict on Monster Lair's soundtrack.

I just wanted to give some love to the "under-appreciated" soundtracks:
Monster Lair
R-Type Complete CD
Valis II
Vasteel
etc. :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

_Paul

Shame on you for not liking Moster Lair's soundtrack.

Now go to bed without any supper.

Odonadon

Quote from: guestShame on you for not liking Moster Lair's soundtrack.

:)  I guess we know which episode of PC Engine City I won't be listening to :)

OD

Jammaniaclord

Quote from: guestShame on you for not liking Moster Lair's soundtrack.

:)  I guess we know which episode of PC Engine City I won't be listening to :)

OD

Whats a "PC Engine" ?

:D  :lol:  :lol:
PC Cocoron Hunter

ParanoiaDragon

I actually really like R-type Complete's soundtrack.  It's not the sounds, or style I would've chosen in most songs, but, it's different then the hucard, which is nice, since I have both.  

I'm never going to compare Monster Lair to Gate of Thunder(I believe produced by Nick Wood), but I enjoy both for what they are.  Yeah, Monster Lair's synths are cheap, but, IMHO most Telenet games are much cheaper & cheesier sounding in the synth department.  With some exceptions, like Valis 1 & 2, the Exile's, the Cosmic Fantasy's.  I'm sure there are a few other's.  Even then, there are still songs I enjoy in Last Alert, Psychic Storm, Final Zone 2, etc.  Despite the fact that most of the sounds they use, really irritate me.  I feel like they should've known better.  Frankly, I'd love to redo alot of those soundtracks, & redistribute them.  But, there's not enough time in the world to do that. :roll:

As for Vasteel, it's an amazing soundtrack, but doesn't fit the game.  I haven't really played enough of the 2nd game to see if the music fits it.  Now that I think about it, I feel like alot of those Telenet games, had them using Casio's or Yamaha's(leaning more towards Casio's).  They just have really bad synths.  Not that I'm an expert, but, I just trust Roland.
IMG

Odonadon

Totally, the R-Type complete soundtrack is one of my favs.  Personally I think it's killer (there are a couple really crappy tunes, I'll admit :) ).  However I'm not sure if it's my love for R-Type getting in the way :)  For the most part, fans enjoy listening to remixed video game tunes from the days of yor.

But yeah, I have little tolerance for cheap sounding synths (just because it was expensive in 1988 doesn't mean it doesn't sound cheap).  In fact, if I'm listening to something and I discover it's using synthesized Trumpets, for example, and it becomes really obvious I'll no longer like the song :)

I give leeway to video game music, of course, because it's notoriously... much worse than real music :)  But if you're a musician who enjoys a nice melody, video games are full great melodies.  Just not Monster Lair :)

OD

T2KFreeker

Just out of curiosity, do we know if this game is actually going to be released on Hu Card? I tried out the demo and it was outstanding, cool stuff for sure.
END OF LINE.

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

T2KFreeker

Quote from: "Tron"ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Was it something that I said? 8-[
END OF LINE.

ParanoiaDragon

It's not going to be released on Hucard, it'd be way to expensive to do, not to mention difficult.  Not even sure if anyone knows someone who can make Hucards.  I could be wrong ofcoarse.  But, if this game came out officially, it'd be cd.
IMG

Odonadon

If a HuCard were made and released today, the sheer cost of having the physical card made would make the price of such a thing astronomical because it won't be mass produced and will have a very limited run.  Check out the new NeoGeo Homebrew game - the cardtridge is selling for 550 euros!  I don't think a HuCard is quite that expensive to make since NEC really wasn't the only company to use that format, but it will still be a lot more expensive than the $60 games of today.

OD

td741

Alternatively, you could always make some sort of SD card (Memory Stick, whatever) -> HuCard connector.  However, CD would probably be the easiest choice.

T2KFreeker

Sorry, I only asked because the demo was in ROM format, not iso, so if it does release, CD? Sounds even better to me. Again, I thought it was a ool little game, so it would be one I would buy, at least.
END OF LINE.

ParanoiaDragon

A good example is the Jaguar games.  All the newer ones are around $80 more or less.  I've gotten some of them for much less, thru determination on ebay, but, that's a different story for another time.
IMG