RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

if the original metal gear was ported to pc-e/tg-16?

Started by imparanoic, 06/01/2015, 09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

NOA was expecting Dragon Warrior to sell legitimately.

CrackTiger is correct...when NOA realized that Dragon. Warrior was not selling, they swallowed their mistake and had a huge promotion.

My friend got into NES late, but I was actually jealous because some of the best NES games I ever played were with him, at his house, since I had sold all my NES gear to fund 16-bit gear.

It was obvious, even to high school kids, that NOA was "trying to salvage" the situation. :)

The first issue of Nintendo Power had mentioned the huge popularity of DW in Japan, so the seed had been planted for lots of nerds like me.

The average consumer, however, was not immediately (nor particularly) intrigued by DW (I myself had played many far more sophisticated games on Apple and IBM PC's....plus I played pen and paper D&D, so I was in nerd territory), but most of my friends were "mainstream" (relative to the time) enthusiasts, who enjoyed more action-oriented fare.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Pokun

Europe was even worse than America, we got almost zero traditional RPGs for Nintendo consoles (RPGs for computers and Sega consoles existed though) due to Nintendo of Europe not being interested in anything but action games.

I know Swedish Nintendo wanted to bring in FF VI but Nintendo of Europe said no, so no PAL version was made. The first Final Fantasy in Europe was FF VII and the first DQ was VIII!

CrackTiger

Even though Dragon Warrior felt like an old and small game by the time Nintendo began giving it away and even though I had already played through it as a rental... it was still a physical game and an RPG. So I renewed my Nintendo Power subscription for two more years and gave a copy to my buddy. I believe that the laminated spell guide only came with the giveaway copies. But it may have just seemed that way at the time.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Gentlegamer

Dragon Warrior is terrible. I got a free copy from Nintendo Power and since I was a big D&D nerd, I thought it would be awesome.

I ended up trading it to someone for Ninja Gaiden II. I win!
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

Pokun

I love the game (Japanese version at least). The world, music and characters are fantastic, but it's extremely simple and a bit repetitive. Though the simplicity is part its charm, I can see one who expects more of it being disappointed.

esteban

Quote from: Pokun on 06/21/2015, 03:20 PMI love the game (Japanese version at least). The world, music and characters are fantastic, but it's extremely simple and a bit repetitive. Though the simplicity is part its charm, I can see one who expects more of it being disappointed.
I enjoyed Dragon Warrior, as well. It's just a shame that I couldn't play it when I first read about it!

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

seieienbu

I thought the first Dragon Warrior was well designed and charming.  You were given exactly enough information to figure out what to do/where to go without being spoon-fed anything.  The enemy designs looked really cool and it had a great soundtrack. 

As a kid I died an awful lot when I first tried to play it until I learned how to survive in the world and not stretch myself too thin during excursions into the wilderness.  Being able to gain a few levels and then be able to stray further from home and eventually explore the whole of the world seemed really grand to me in 3rd grade when I first played it.

When I played it, I didn't care for Dragon Warrior 2 as much.  Meanwhile, I still think that both Dragon Warrior 3 and 4 are two of the best games on the NES.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Arkhan Asylum

Even if you have a raging tard-boner for the shitty NES one, at first glance, MG2: Solid Snake is 100% more fuck-yeah inducing than NES Metal Gear will ever be.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ShadowKitty777

Quote from: guest on 06/22/2015, 12:17 AMEven if you have a raging tard-boner for the shitty NES one, at first glance, MG2: Solid Snake is 100% more fuck-yeah inducing than NES Metal Gear will ever be.
Yessssssssss  =D>

I kinda do have a (tiny) soft spot for DW though.... >_>

Pokun

Quote from: guest on 06/22/2015, 12:17 AMEven if you have a raging tard-boner for the shitty NES one, at first glance, MG2: Solid Snake is 100% more fuck-yeah inducing than NES Metal Gear will ever be.
Exactly!

Quote from: seieienbu on 06/21/2015, 09:55 PMWhen I played it, I didn't care for Dragon Warrior 2 as much.  Meanwhile, I still think that both Dragon Warrior 3 and 4 are two of the best games on the NES.
I agree. The second game is probably among the weakest in the series. It's much longer than the first game and still quite repetitive. The third and fourth game however are the prime examples of Famicom RPGs. They were ahead of their time.

Alt-Nintega

I remember when NES Metal Gear came out. No kids were able to play it or be patient with it enough to get past Card 2. Most had no idea at all that this was a stealth game and were always dying because they played it like a action game. The game quickly wound up in storage attics and basements. If it would have come out on TG-16, it would still flop.

Great game for the time and especially great game for late teens or adults. Most gamers in that era were kids, another reason it flopped.