Dumb rookie question.

Started by Grandiloquence, 06/13/2015, 10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grandiloquence

Hi folks, really daft question - try not to laugh! I have a PC Engine & CD-ROM2 briefcase system. I just got Macross 2036 and tried to play it. I get a white screen and just an audio track of two characters talking. The CD moves to track two and...well that's it. Am I missing something?

Grandiloquence

Ahh. Thanks for the reply. I don't actually have any system card...! Best get looking.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Nulltard on 06/13/2015, 10:50 AMWhat system card are you running? I believe Macross 2036 is a super cd, so you'll need a 3.0 system card.
Macross is a fake SCD game, but it does require at least a 1.0 card.

Grandiloquence: this card will let you play 99% of the PCE's CD games:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-SYSTEM-CARD-PC-Engine-HuCARD-Turbografx-16-JAPAN-/361317253818?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item54202fc2ba
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Pokun

Quote from: guest on 06/13/2015, 11:02 AMMacross is a fake SCD game, but it does require at least a 1.0 card.
Doesn't all CD games require at least v1.0 card?

CrackTiger

Quote from: Pokun on 06/14/2015, 09:48 AM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 06/13/2015, 11:02 AMMacross is a fake SCD game, but it does require at least a 1.0 card.
No, only CD-ROM2 games do.

Super CD games require at least a 3.0 card (built into Duos and the Super CD-ROM).

Arcade Card games require the appropriate Arcade Card to run. If your CD-ROM system doesn't have 3.0/1 built-in, then you need the PRO card. If it does have 3.0/1 built-in, then you can use either the cheaper DUO card or the PRO.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Grandiloquence

Thanks all for the detailed responses and linkage. And I'm going to have to ask - what's the Turrican thing about?  :-k

Gentlegamer

IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

esteban

Quote from: Grandiloquence on 06/15/2015, 03:59 AMThanks all for the detailed responses and linkage. And I'm going to have to ask - what's the Turrican thing about?  :-k
To put it in a word: TG-16 Turrican sucks.  :)

I actually tried to give the game a chance for many, many years...foolishly thinking that I would find something to appreciate about it.

But then, I realized that my initial feelings were appropriate—I simply was never going to be a fan of the damn game.

Grandiloquence

Gotcha. Lucky I didn't buy it after harbouring fond memories of the Atari ST version I had as a kid!

esteban

Quote from: Grandiloquence on 06/15/2015, 07:44 AMGotcha. Lucky I didn't buy it after harbouring fond memories of the Atari ST version I had as a kid!
Well, it is possible that the TG-16 port isn't actually a bad port... And that I just don't like Turrican, fundamentally.

So, you should probably get the damn game! Ha! I'm serious. You are in a much better position to judge it. :)

Pokun

Quote from: guest on 06/14/2015, 05:16 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/13/2015, 11:02 AMMacross is a fake SCD game, but it does require at least a 1.0 card.

Super CD games require at least a 3.0 card (built into Duos and the Super CD-ROM).

Arcade Card games require the appropriate Arcade Card to run. If your CD-ROM system doesn't have 3.0/1 built-in, then you need the PRO card. If it does have 3.0/1 built-in, then you can use either the cheaper DUO card or the PRO.
I meant the CD BIOS (card or built-in). I never had a CD-ROM2 (only Super) but if I understand it correctly it doesn't have a BIOS built-in so it needs a card to play any CD game at all. Else there wouldn't be a need for Hudson/NEC to release v1.0 cards (I take it the Juuouki bug was obviously not done deliberately).

CrackTiger

Quote from: Pokun on 06/15/2015, 11:36 AM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 06/14/2015, 05:16 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 06/13/2015, 11:02 AMMacross is a fake SCD game, but it does require at least a 1.0 card.

I meant the CD BIOS (card or built-in). I never had a CD-ROM2 (only Super) but if I understand it correctly it doesn't have a BIOS built-in so it needs a card to play any CD game at all. Else there wouldn't be a need for Hudson/NEC to release v1.0 cards (I take it the Juuouki bug was obviously not done deliberately).
You do need some sort of bios to play CD games, but the IFU contains the first 1/2 meg of ram.

Regular/true SCD games can't be run without a 3(.1) card equivalent. Macross 2036 is a CD2 game in SCD packaging. The System 3(.01) adds 1.5 megs of ram and has an updated bios. Arcade Cards only add extra ram, but run off of the same 3(.01) bios.

Bios/System card revisions between 1.0 - 2.2 add various features, like the music CD player.

Pokun

CrackTiger

The Games Express system cards also only use the existing ram inside IFU/Duo systems. So GE SCD games can't be played on an IFU at all, but all GE CD2/SCD games still require the system card which was packed with the game.