@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

GOD-FIGHTER ZEROIGAR [NEC PC-FX] RELEASE!

Started by SamIAm, 08/09/2015, 05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmer

Quote from: guest on 09/02/2015, 04:19 PMMy PC-FX died.   It caint even discs anymore.  lol

God damnfuckingfuck.

Need to get on that.
Now would be the perfect time to get that PC-FXGA working!  :wink:

I'll be interested to hear if you try SamIAm's "pot-twist" fix ... I've still not done that on mine, yet.

TailChao

With all these failing lasers, have any of you tried to get the FX to boot off a modified BMP cartridge?
Some of the documentation out there indicates code can be run off these, might be a good long term solution.

elmer

Quote from: TailChao on 09/02/2015, 06:46 PMWith all these failing lasers, have any of you tried to get the FX to boot off a modified BMP cartridge?
Some of the documentation out there indicates code can be run off these, might be a good long term solution.
I certainly haven't ... since the PC-FXGA doesn't have a slot for the BMP cartridge, you'd need a working CD boot on the PC-FX in order to actually write a program to the BMP.

What I've started to wonder is whether we could just replace the CD mechanism with a SCSI drive, probably a CF-SCSI or an SD-SCSI. The PC-FX chips definitely seem to talk to the CD mechanism in SCSI format.

Here's the open-hardware/open-source SCSI2SD project ... http://imall.itead.cc/scsi2sd.html

If the correct signals come out of the PC-FX motherboard somewhere, then you'd just need to replace the SCSI2SD firmware with CD-emulation instead of HDD-emulation.

I guess that if it could work on the PC-FX, then it could possibly also work on the PCE.

TailChao

Quote from: elmer on 09/02/2015, 07:12 PMI certainly haven't ... since the PC-FXGA doesn't have a slot for the BMP cartridge, you'd need a working CD boot on the PC-FX in order to actually write a program to the BMP.

What I've started to wonder is whether we could just replace the CD mechanism with a SCSI drive, probably a CF-SCSI or an SD-SCSI. The PC-FX chips definitely seem to talk to the CD mechanism in SCSI format.

Here's the open-hardware/open-source SCSI2SD project ... http://imall.itead.cc/scsi2sd.html

If the correct signals come out of the PC-FX motherboard somewhere, then you'd just need to replace the SCSI2SD firmware with CD-emulation instead of HDD-emulation.

I guess that if it could work on the PC-FX, then it could possibly also work on the PCE.
I was thinking more along the lines of a new distribution medium, just in the BMP form factor.

As for replacing the CD-ROM drive with a SCSI emulator, it depends on whether or not the PC-FX has custom commands. I'll have to look at the Mednafen source.
The PCE's CD-ROM certainly does, but they're documented. The drive itself is identical to some of NEC's SCSI CD-ROMs with different software on the controller chips anyway.

Djangoo2

I think it would be cool to see something like the GDEmu on the PC-FX.

Kommando1981

Just got this working on my FX. Nice job on the patch!!!!  =D>

elmer

Quote from: Kommando1981 on 10/21/2015, 02:42 AMJust got this working on my FX. Nice job on the patch!!!!  =D>
Thanks! I hope that you enjoy the game.  :)

SamIAm

tknjin

congratulations on the patch release SamIAm :)

xcrement5x

I've been playing this a lot the last couple of day and I really want to say thanks again to you guys for translating it.  It's quite fun to play this game when I get a bit of downtime, and the anime sequences are so well done!

SamIAm

It's really a game like none other. I'm glad you like it!

Thanks for the post. :D

esteban

'Tis a bittersweet experience...if only more shoot-em-ups had been released...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

esadajr

Shows what the FX was capable of. Again, thanks for the labor of love translating.
Gaming since 1985

JoshTurboTrollX

I finally got to enjoy this game as well over the last couple months.  Truly an excellent chootie that you have to spend some time with before you truly understand it.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

elmer

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.  :)

It was a fun project to work on, and I quickly grew to love the game as something very special, and pretty unique in my experience of shoot-em-ups.

xcrement5x

After our discussion in the other thread, I did a test run of creating the manual spreads for a reproduction manual.   Looks pretty good so far but I need better paper stock and a nicer laser printer to use.  I emailed Esteban about some modifications I'd need to do to his manual JPGs to make it a printable doc, but it's looking decent!  What I have now is just a little basic insert.

IMG

EmperorIng

Looks very nice. I have to compliment the team on making such a pleasing-looking title logo in the course of their translation project.  :D

esteban

Quote from: EmperorIng on 04/01/2017, 09:54 PMLooks very nice. I have to compliment the team on making such a pleasing-looking title logo in the course of their translation project.  :D
You have to thank elmer and Sam for insisting on multiple iterations of multiple logos.

They wanted the title screen/logo/"branding" to look good in-game and in print.

:)

esteban

Quote from: guest on 04/01/2017, 08:13 PMAfter our discussion in the other thread, I did a test run of creating the manual spreads for a reproduction manual.   Looks pretty good so far but I need better paper stock and a nicer laser printer to use.  I emailed Esteban about some modifications I'd need to do to his manual JPGs to make it a printable doc, but it's looking decent!  What I have now is just a little basic insert.
IMG
Oh, wow! That is really kool. I love that you have the original coverart next to the new coverart...

I will reply :)

elmer

Quote from: esteban on 04/02/2017, 08:09 AMYou have to thank elmer and Sam for insisting on multiple iterations of multiple logos.

They wanted the title screen/logo/"branding" to look good in-game and in print.
Ahhh ... but it's you that actually drew it and made it look good!  :wink:

Mathius

I am slowboating my first PC-FX from Japan at this very moment. I bet you can guess what the first thing I'll be playing on it is. Thanks you guys for doing this! You are without a doubt greatly appreciated. :)

elmer

Good luck with the shipping, I hope that everything arrives OK!

SamIAm posted a bunch of hints on tweaking the pots to improve CD-reading, and you may well need that if you're going to burn a copy of Zeroigar.

I hope that you enjoy it.  :)

Mathius

Quote from: elmer on 05/07/2017, 04:15 PMGood luck with the shipping, I hope that everything arrives OK!

SamIAm posted a bunch of hints on tweaking the pots to improve CD-reading, and you may well need that if you're going to burn a copy of Zeroigar.

I hope that you enjoy it.  :)
Tweaking the pots is the first thing my friend Jodi told me to do upon the arrival of my PC-FX. Sounds like he had it on good authority.

Gypsy

If it's already working right I wouldn't, but odds are you will need to. I know Sam pre-tweaked the one he sent me.

Oh and spoiler about Zeroigar: it's totally sweeeeet. Really cool game.

Gypsy

Played some tonight on a PVM. Hotness.

NightWolve

Thought I'd bump this for a recent discovery of old reviews of this game that were in a long forgotten PCEFX Reviews section, Aaron's World of PC-FX:

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/PC-FX/html/pc-fx_world_-_game_reviews.html

We've got not 1, but 2 reviews of it that were lying around. I'm thinking of adding info about the English fan translation project and a downloads folder for additional hosting of the English patch as well, might as well complement them.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/PC-FX/html/pc-fx_world_-_game_reviews_-_s1.html
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/PC-FX/html/pc-fx_world_-_game_reviews_-_s2.html

There's also an overview for it:

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/PC-FX/html/pc-fx_world_-_game_overviews_-19.html

And the Sound Test Easter egg code:

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/PC-FX/html/pc-fx_world_-_codes___faqs_-_s1.html

Random Eye Candy:

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

This was the cool animated GIF esteban made for the project plus a link to his CD label:

IMG

https://junk.tg-16.com/images/Zeroigar_CD_Label_Color.jpg

This Downloads section I made some time back, just never got around to publishing a full announcement on my own site, but since Sam's link is currently broken and the mood strikes me, here's all of it with v1.0.1 of the English patch (plus the *correct* BIOS to work with Mednafen!!):

Quote* Zeroigar ISO Download (Yeah, who cares! ~Everybody downloads, all lie! :P)

emuparadise.me/.../Tyoushin_Heiki_Zeroigar/ (410 MB)

* Zeroigar English Patch Download v1.0.1

https://www.ysutopia.net/get.php?id=ZeroigarPatch (1.21 MB)

* PROPER NEC PC-FX BIOS Download (This works, others don't!)

NEC PC-FX BIOS (1994)(NEC)(JP)[a].7z

Notes: The Mednafen emulator is the most accurate to play this right on your PC! You need the correct NEC PC-FX BIOS linked above!! To install, unzip it, copy "pcfx.rom" to Mednafen's "firmware" subfolder.

You load CD BIN/CUE or ISO/WAV/CUE images by pointing Mednafen to the CUE file. Simple way, for an example, make a batch file called Zeroigar.bat with this line in it:

mednafen -loadcd pcfx "C:\GAMES\PCFX\Zeroigar\Zeroigar.cue"
Where in the Zeroigar subfolder I have the whole CD ISO/WAV/CUE image file set and Mednafen is in the PCFX folder, etc.
Sam's teaser again embedded for the heck of it.