If you could have any one hard to obtain TG/PCE game, which would you choose?

Started by johnnykonami, 09/02/2015, 07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnykonami

Or a piece of obey hardware, if that's what you desire.  For me it's Dungeon Explorer II (US).  I wish I could go back in time and grab a copy when it was new still.  I've always wanted that game ever since the Duo World issue came out.

What are your hopes and dreams?  Ideally stuff you just want to have for yourself, not valuable items that you would sell.

VenomMacbeth

Drac X.  I waited too long on it & the prices are too high now for me to even consider owning it.  $130 was reasonable, but I can't bite this $200+ bullshit.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

johnnykonami

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 09/02/2015, 08:13 PMDrac X.  I waited too long on it & the prices are too high now for me to even consider owning it.  $130 was reasonable, but I can't bite this $200+ bullshit.
Yeah, doesn't help that it's probably has the highest profile of the entire library.  I snagged mine at lousy early 90's import prices (something close to $100, from die-hard or something like that) and never let it go.  I am glad it's available via PSP and on the Wii Eshop at least so it doesn't have to collect dust so no one new ever gets to play it.

johnnykonami

Quote from: esteban on 09/02/2015, 08:18 PMTerra Cresta II.

I LOVES SHEWTIES.
Wow!  I had no idea about Terra Cresta II being so expensive, damn!  Fleabayers seem to have it going for $250...

esteban

Quote from: johnnykonami on 09/02/2015, 08:22 PM

I LOVES SHEWTIES.
Wow!  I had no idea about Terra Cresta II being so expensive, damn!  Fleabayers seem to have it going for $250...
Long before the current gouging, Terra Cresta II was an expensive HuCARD.  :(

PukeSter

johnnykonami

Quote from: guest on 09/02/2015, 08:20 PMMagical Chaise. So I could flip it and corner the market on bonk 3
Woulda been a cool game to own.  Kinda in the DE2/Bonk 3 camp with those 1992/1993 TTI releases that are so hard to come by.

Quote from: esteban on 09/02/2015, 08:25 PM
Quote from: johnnykonami on 09/02/2015, 08:22 PM

I LOVES SHEWTIES.
Long before the current gouging, Terra Cresta II was an expensive HuCARD.  :(
I've played Terra Cresta in the arcade a long time ago, and I think I tried TC2 on emulation at one point, but maybe I should go back and see what the hubbub is about.  Must be a good game!  Don't worry about further buying competition from me though, I'm not a player at those prices.

Quote from: guest on 09/02/2015, 08:33 PMKaze Kiri or River City Ransom.

Both are in the $180+ range.
I think Kaze Kiri looked really great but feel it's kinda overrated once you play it.  DNM would be nice, I remember trying to buy it back in the day (early 2000's) but never found a deal I cared for.  Love me some Kunio games.

o.pwuaioc

I think I too would go for a US Dungeon Explorer 2. Popful Mail and Terra Cresta 2 round out the top 3 for too expensive to buy games.

SamIAm

US Cotton. I love the Cotton series to death, and I'd love to have the only one ever released outside Japan.

PunkCryborg

Dicer

grolt

Being currently addicted to the first Dungeon Explorer right now I'll have to go with DE2 as well. The other would probably be Neutopia II.
I'm a notorious strange man.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Bardoly on 09/03/2015, 01:15 AMPC Cocoron   :-"
Seconded. Would be fun to play this game.. that would be playable... if that one guy... who is a butt... would... you know... let it out.... meh.
IMG

Gredler

Otaking

When I saw the thread title the first game that sprung to mind was PC Cocoron.
But also would be cool to get the full set of Kid's Station software with the Ten Key pad.
And also Youkaidouchuuki Gold HuCard.

Probably one of those three.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

pulstar

Probably 1941 on Super Grafx (a cheat, I know)...or maybe Sylphia...
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

esteban

grolt

I'm a notorious strange man.

esteban

Quote from: grolt on 09/03/2015, 10:13 AMTV Sports Basketball
I'm changing my precious answer to....

TV SPORTS Baseball

...no...

RIFT WAR SAGA

jtucci31

CrackTiger

The first version of Ziria or PC Cocoron.

I could buy any other games I care about if I really wanted. The fact that I can play them on cdr or through emulation makes the pricier ones low priority until I finish picking up the hundreds of other games which don't cost nearly so much.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

johnnykonami

Quote from: esteban on 09/03/2015, 10:59 AM
Quote from: grolt on 09/03/2015, 10:13 AMTV Sports Basketball
I'm changing my precious answer to....

TV SPORTS Baseball

...no...

RIFT WAR SAGA
You know who's precious?  You are, Esteban!

chemdream

+1 for a US cotton.

I remember when that game came out, I knew nothing about it. A clerk at Babages tried to get me to buy it. Based off the cover, I thought it looked lame, and I laughed at him. sigh...
Consoles: NES, SNES, N64, Wii, TG16, Master System, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS3, PS4, PSP, Vita, 3DS
Cabinets: Neo Geo, Capcom 18-in-1, CPS-II Multi, Donkey Kong, DK Junior, Dig Dug, Centipede, Tron, Simpsons 4 player, Nintendo VS

CrackTiger

Good news for those wasting their single wish on "U.S." Cotton, PCE Cotton = Turbo/North American Cotton.

Unless you were wishing for inferior paper accessories.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

gheebee

The first thing that pops into my head is Mizubaku Daiboken/Liquid Kids.

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

csgx1

I'm fairly satisfied with the games I already have even though I don't have most of the harder to find games.

I would go with a PC Engine LT since I always wanted one.

NecroPhile

I'd have to go with some unreleased game, like Off the Wall, Dino Force, PC Cocoron, etc.

For games actually released, I'd pick Magical Chase, as there's not many other titles that I really want yet are so ridiculously overpriced.  Luckily, the priciest PCE games are stuff like Kids Station and Darius Alpha, games I'd not go out of my way to pick up even if they were only $20.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

JoshTurboTrollX

I guess it would probably have to be Magical Chase.  I've (at one time) owned every other title that was considered "Rare", but never had Magical Chase....
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

bob

no dangerous journey talk?  or maybe I read too fast and skipped it.

xcrement5x

If protos counts I'd say PC Coryoon or Dino Force, hell even Marble Madness.

Retail only, probably the Kids Station games so I could dump them and make all the other people who spent thousands on them feel sad. 

If they're already dumped and I just don't know it then Magical Chase.  Then I could make a video of me talking about and saying it's totally worth the price it in front of a wall of games and put it on YouTube so I become famous. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

DildoKKKobold

Dynastic Hero.

I got a Monster World IV repro from a friend, and loved that game. Seriously loved it. Yeah, I could just play Monster World 3 on the Genesis, but I like the aesthetic of 8 bit gameplay, 16 bit graphics, and Redbook audio. Its part of why Dungeon Explorer II is hands down my favorite game on the systemI . Dragon's Curse was great as well.  I enjoyed Shantae, Hebereke, and Adventure Island 4... I pretty much love any cute metroidvania game, even though I'm not a huge Metroid fan.
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

seieienbu

I've been wanting a copy of Sapphire for a while, so, Sapphire.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

CGQuarterly

Maybe these's something else that I'm not thinking of right now, but the first game that comes to mind is New Adventure Island.  I know it's only like a $100 game, but I'd rather have it than any of the higher-priced TG-16 games that I don't have already.

Damon Plus

Magical Chase or Neutopia, probably. Or that Bonk Rpg if it made past Alpha Stage.

johnnykonami

Is Neutopia considered expensive now?  I am feeling more regret about my once owned copy being turned over in some reseller's filthy hands.  Thought I might even buy it again one day.

WoodyXP

For me it would have to be "Beyond Shadowgate".  I already have all the other expensive and hard to find games.  Shadowgate turns me off and I've never felt compelled to buy it.  I've already played it on emulator and it sucks balls, IMO.  But for the sake of this thread, that is the game I'd go for.
"I bathe in AES carts."

johnnykonami

Addams Family, Yo Bro, Ghost Manor, Shapeshifter, Camp California, Beyond Shadowgate... You can't say Icom Simulations didn't support the TG-16, now if only any of the games they made were good!

Shame, too, because I think the NES version of Shadowgate is pretty amazing, no doubt thanks in part to the great atmospheric soundtrack added by Kemco.  When I first saw screenshots of Beyond Shadowgate I think in Turbo Play, I wondered why they went with the 3rd person point and click adventure style rather than the 1st person dungeon-crawler-esque style of the original.  I haven't personally played it yet but it just didn't seem like it was being done right.

wildfruit

Beyond shadowgate is without doubt my least favourite point and click adventure. If it was any good it might be worth the money but it's pretty horrid to play imo. Looks nice though I'll give it that.

jtucci31

Quote from: johnnykonami on 09/07/2015, 02:23 AMAddams Family, Yo Bro, Ghost Manor, Shapeshifter, Camp California, Beyond Shadowgate... You can't say Icom Simulations didn't support the TG-16, now if only any of the games they made were good!
Shapeshifter is cool, I liked it a lot from what I played.

esteban

All this hate for Beyond Shadowgate?

Send me the game!

It is a unique little gem.  A flawed gem, but a gem.

cr8zykuban0

for a us game, i would say cib soldier blade
for import, i'd say coryoon

CrackTiger

Quote from: esteban on 09/07/2015, 12:45 PMAll this hate for Beyond Shadowgate?

Send me the game!

Too many people love to hate on games because of what they're worth to other people. Like those who say that Magical Chase is a bad game.

Beyond Shadowgate is what it is and is a cool game. It is just as easy to rationalize how most classic 'point & click" games are terrible. If you're unfairly critical of games like it and Shapeshifter, you lose credibility when you go out of your way to excuse other so-called classics, like Shadowgate, which so many people who dismiss digicomics praise as something it's not. Like calling it a dungeon crawler or hailing it as amazing for its soundtrack alone, when it's far less atmospheric than the soundtrack of Beyond Shadowgate, which is also far more immersive with its 100% voice acted dialogue alone.

It's one thing to say games like these aren't great or that you don't enjoy them, but it's pretty extreme to say that they're 'no good at all'. As a game lover who never looks for reasons to hate games, it makes me wonder how much people actually enjoy any game, when they look at new ones as a perfect score and then chisel away at it with each negative point they can come up with. Of all the ways that the gaming media damaged the way people look at games (like pushing the concept of defined genres or judging all games compared to a select few), this is the worst of all.

Damon Plus

Quote from: johnnykonami on 09/07/2015, 12:58 AMIs Neutopia considered expensive now?  I am feeling more regret about my once owned copy being turned over in some reseller's filthy hands.  Thought I might even buy it again one day.
Sorry, I meant Neutopia 2.

Dicer

Send me the game!

The only flaw is the pacing really, it's a bit slow... Otherwise it's great graphically and voice work is pretty decent, the humor is there as well. There actually was a flaw but I caught it before they went into production (I was lucky enough score a pre-production copy and found a hang up) good thing I caught it too it was pretty close to end of the game.

I'd love to own it again and I'll toss Might and Magic III in as well, that game is pretty crazy for the time...

turboswimbz

Quote from: guest on 09/07/2015, 03:32 PM

Send me the game!

Too many people love to hate on games because of what they're worth to other people. Like those who say that Magical Chase is a bad game.

Beyond Shadowgate is what it is and is a cool game. It is just as easy to rationalize how most classic 'point & click" games are terrible. If you're unfairly critical of games like it and Shapeshifter, you lose credibility when you go out of your way to excuse other so-called classics, like Shadowgate, which so many people who dismiss digicomics praise as something it's not. Like calling it a dungeon crawler or hailing it as amazing for its soundtrack alone, when it's far less atmospheric than the soundtrack of Beyond Shadowgate, which is also far more immersive with its 100% voice acted dialogue alone.

It's one thing to say games like these aren't great or that you don't enjoy them, but it's pretty extreme to say that they're 'no good at all'. As a game lover who never looks for reasons to hate games, it makes me wonder how much people actually enjoy any game, when they look at new ones as a perfect score and then chisel away at it with each negative point they can come up with. Of all the ways that the gaming media damaged the way people look at games (like pushing the concept of defined genres or judging all games compared to a select few), this is the worst of all.
I am feeling the need to play shape shifter now.  I really like the game. 

F Y I for anyone intrested in SS  one of the best things I did was to actually talk about the game with people, and find the best ways to get around some of the trickier controls early on, I have a feeling many people hit the platform jump wall and simply stop instead of learning to make it through one or two tough spots. 
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

johnnykonami

Well, maybe it's true to a degree what you're saying.  I love point n' click adventure games, so if Beyond Shadowgate was monetarily accessible, I'd give it a spin.  I brought up the original shadowgate because I feel like the change in player vantage point fundamentally changes the game itself.  And for the record, the NES Shadowgate was a lot more to me than just a great soundtrack.  It's one of my first adventure game experiences as a kid and a pretty formative one as well.  Also, maybe saying "dungeon-crawler-esque" was a poor way to describe the 1st person perspective view, but that's all I meant by it.  Of course it's not a dungeon crawler, it's an adventure game.

I'm still not impressed with Icom on the TG-16 in general though.  I recently bought Addams Family mostly for the nostalgia I had pouring over the Turbo Play article about it's development process.  With certain games, you can feel a lot love was put into them to make them a great experience.  Addams Family definitely doesn't have that for me.  All of the Icom games have a pretty stilted graphical style that I just find unappealing, personally speaking of course.  I feel like the voice acting leaves a lot to be desired also - Addams Family and Shapeshifter both come to mind here.  None of the Addams Family voices sound remotely close to the movie characters they were supposed to be licensing at the time, and on that note, I understand that getting visual likenesses and the actual voices of the movie stars would have been super expensive, but there is literally no trace of any of them except for the cover photo used for the manual.  I don't have high expectations, but it is a movie licensed game and they went laughably cheap on it.  Then the way the game action freezes whenever anyone speaks, the terribly whiny compression in the audio, the "dead room" recordings where they all sound like they are in the same sized space with the same surroundings (hint: they were, a recording studio), the still photographs (none of which feature the actors except for Tully) used as cinematics... it's just kind of a shame, really.

Yo Bro I've spent a little time playing and I can't imagine ever going easy on it or Camp California.  They've been beaten to death already though.

I would give Shape Shifter more of a chance one day but from what I've seen it falls into some of the same problem areas I've described above.  It's great if you can be more forgiving than I am, but it's perfectly acceptable to dislike (maybe even hate!) certain games for whatever reasons.  Everything is not made with the same equal level of care, love and quality.