(9/04/2015 - 9/10/2015) Game of the Week: Street Fighter II'

Started by SamIAm, 09/05/2015, 04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamIAm

---------------------------------------------------------------------
September 4 - September 10: Street Fighter II'
---------------------------------------------------------------------
IMG
(chosen by Nec.game.head, who also took pics and wrote a nice blurb. Thanks!)

My first impression when playing this game was wow, a very close to an Arcade acurrate port !! Timing speed and hit detection are all spot on compared to the original Arcade version. I especially really enjoyed the sound effects, character designs and beautiful colored backgrounds of the game. The only drawback to me was the background music in each level wasn't as good sounding as the actual sound effects each character makes. This version definitely outperforms it's 16 bit competition rival version's the Sega Mega Drive and the Super Famicom. One other thing that should be known is if you are going to want to try this game out sometime you will definitely need to get your hands on a Avenue Pad 6 as this is a six button game and if your really looking to get the most out of this game I strongly recommend getting a controller multitap and a secondary Avenue Pad 6 to enjoy this fantastic game with a friend. This is my go to game I pull out and show off to my friends after we've played the actual Arcade version of Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition at my place to show off the amazing power of the mighty PC Engine !! If you have not tried out out this game I definitely recommend this game if you are a fan of great 2D fighter games !!

IMGIMG
IMGIMG

---------------------------------------------------

GOTW Schedule:
1. 8/22/2015 - 8/28/2015: Override (lukester)
2. 8/29/2015 - 9/4/2015: Rondo of Blood (o.pwuaioc)
3. 9/5/2015 - 9/11/2015: Street Fighter 2 (Nec.Game.head)
4. 9/12/2015 - 9/18/2015: Bloody Wolf (Gentlegamer)
5. 9/19/2015 - 9/25/2015: Kabuki Itoryodan (Sadler)
6. 9/26/2015 - 10/2/2015: R-Type (crazydean)
7. 10/3/2015 - 10/9/2015: Fray CD: Xak Gaiden (Nulltard)
8. 10/10/2015 - 10/16/2015: Wizardry 3&4 (BigusSchmuck)
9. 10/17/2015 - 10/23/2015: Lords of Thunder (SamIAm)
10. 10/24/2015 - 10/30/2015: TV Sports Hockey (gredler)
11. 10/31/2015 - 11/6/2015: Blazing Lazers (escarioth)
12. 11/7/2015 - 11/13/2015: Genpei Toumaden (VenomMacbeth)
13. 11/14/2015 - 11/20/2015: Hyper Wars (JoshTurboTrollX-16)
14. 11/21/2015 - 11/27/2015: Drop Off (turboswimbz)
15. 11/28/2015 - 12/4/2015: World Court Tennis (grolt)
16. 12/5/2015 - 12/11/2015: Atlantean (jtucci331)
17. OPEN FOR SUBMISSIONS!

Rules:
-All members are allowed one submission. When there are no further submissions, we will have a reset and everyone will be able to submit another game.
-Each game may only be submitted once.
-If you wish to retract your submission, please do so at least two weeks before your game is due. Your next submission will go to the back of the cue.
-Please don't submit games that have a high language barrier or will take too long to complete (particularly RPGs).

esteban

I have this game, but my brother is the one who loves this genre, not me. He plays it.

However, since some of you are SF fans, you might like this stuff (it's about the promotion and marketing of SFII' PCE, which was released on... 06.12.1993...

IMG
https://archives.tg-16.com/Gekkan_PC_Engine_1993_05.htm

IMG

IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

PukeSter

I always loved the music in this port, but some people say otherwise.

CrackTiger

Quote from: PukeSter on 09/05/2015, 12:42 PMI always loved the music in this port, but some people say otherwise.
It has the best composition/music of the 16-bit console ports. If anyone prefers signature sounds from other consoles, that's separate from the actual music. I love most of the instrument sounds of the MD version, but the soundtrack is randomly unbalanced and some parts are poorly "performed". The SNES remix isn't as good overall composition-wise compared to the PCE and arcade versions, but it also features some unfortunate sounds (like the farting).

Playing SFII' at home with friends months (an eternity at the time) before it hit other consoles and playing it on my Express during road trips was one of the high points of gaming in my life.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

johnnykonami

I'm looking forward to trying out my raffle copy!  I am going to have to get some avenue pad sixes and a tap to get the most out of it though.

Nec.Game.head

Enjoying your guy's honest opinion's from my little blurb. Thanks dudes and now I return back to some more STF2 CE action !!
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

Duo_R

I'm interested in Week 17, I'm gonna say Dragon Slayer for my post if that is ok.
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

SamIAm

Quote from: Duo_R on 09/06/2015, 01:17 AMI'm interested in Week 17, I'm gonna say Dragon Slayer for my post if that is ok.
I would love to...but I think we're going to have a problem with the length of that one. It's apparently a 10+ hour game. I think that within the span of a week, most people are stretching just to get in a solid couple of hours for GOTW. That's why I put "Please don't submit games that have a high language barrier or will take too long to complete (particularly RPGs)." in the rules list.

Would you like to submit a different game?

jtucci31

Quote from: Duo_R on 09/06/2015, 01:17 AMI'm interested in Week 17, I'm gonna say Dragon Slayer for my post if that is ok.
BUT, what I think would be cool is some separate thread for playing RPG's together and commenting. I've been wanting to play Dragon Slayer, as well as a few others. Black Tiger mentioned something like that in the other non-pce GotW thread.

I'd be down to play Dragon Slayer with ya! :)

Duo_R

Yeah makes total sense, yes just need to think of a different title.

Quote from: SamIAm on 09/06/2015, 01:50 AM
I would love to...but I think we're going to have a problem with the length of that one. It's apparently a 10+ hour game. I think that within the span of a week, most people are stretching just to get in a solid couple of hours for GOTW. That's why I put "Please don't submit games that have a high language barrier or will take too long to complete (particularly RPGs)." in the rules list.

Would you like to submit a different game?
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Gentlegamer

Quote from: guest on 09/05/2015, 01:08 PMPlaying SFII' at home with friends months (an eternity at the time) before it hit other consoles
Street Fighter II debuted on SNES.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

LostFlunky

Played for a little while last night, but the audio buzz during screen transitions was giving me a headache.  Anyone else have this problem?

esteban

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 09/06/2015, 03:10 AM
Quote from: guest on 09/05/2015, 01:08 PMPlaying SFII' at home with friends months (an eternity at the time) before it hit other consoles
The PCE got Street Fighter II' — Champion Edition on June 12, 1993.

This was the UPDATED version of SFII.

Famicom got a port of the ORIGINAL SFII on June 10, 1993 (SNES was only a month later...July 15, 1993).

So, PCE was a step ahead. :)

MegaDrive/Genesis got SFII' in autumn...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

pulstar

Quote from: esteban on 09/06/2015, 10:02 AM
Quote from: Gentlegamer on 09/06/2015, 03:10 AM
The PCE got Street Fighter II' — Champion Edition on June 12, 1993.

This was the UPDATED version of SFII.

Famicom got a port of the ORIGINAL SFII on June 10, 1993 (SNES was only a month later...July 15, 1993).

So, PCE was a step ahead. :)

MegaDrive/Genesis got SFII' in autumn...
Didn't the original SFII come out in 1992 on the SNES? And Turbo in 1993 (which would relate to CE more directly than WW)?

Edit:

Re-reading it I see what you mean, Turbo came out a month after the PCE version of CE. Regardless, the PCE version came first :D
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: pulstar on 09/06/2015, 12:43 PMDidn't the original SFII come out in 1992 on the SNES? And Turbo in 1993 (which would relate to CE more directly than WW)?
Yes, World Warrior came out stateside in summer 1992.

Edit: http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_Power_V38

csgx1

Glad to see game of the week make a come back.  Unfortunately I didn't have the time for the previous weeks but the great thing about SFII' there's always some time to play a few quick rounds. 

SFII series is one of my all time favorites.  Great memories of my friends and I playing various home ports and crowding around a single cab at the local arcades. 

Out of all the SFII versions, I've played the PC Engine version the least.  PCE version is the most impressive out of the 16-bit ports. 

Has anyone scanned the 'Fan Book' that was initially given with PCE SFII'?

Gredler

I didn't post about the last week's game because I am still playing and enjoying it, but I didn't want to fall behind so I popped my copy of street fighter in - first GoTW I actually have a copy of, woo hoo! :)

IMG

Last night I had the pleasure of running through the game with Ken. I don't remember beating the game too much as a kid, as I mostly just played against my brother. The ending cutscene was fun cool, and seeing the game's characters with their Japanese names was really cool. Vega is my new cat's name, and I like to think of him as the Japanese Vega rather than the US Vega ;)

I don't have a second 6 button controller, so I can't fairly play this with a friend competitively, but this seems to be the best home port I've played. A lot better than the world warriors snes version I grew up with.

This was also the first real heavy use I've had with the Fighting Commander PC controller I picked up a while back. I have to say, pulling off hurricane kicks and dragon punches was really easy, and the button configuration encouraged me to mix in heavy and light attacks more often then my usual strategy of mostly using medium attacks.

I will keep playing this, I'd like to see a couple more endings, the art is beautiful, but I think this week I'll play last weeks game more than this week's :D

Thanks for the suggestion, good times!

NecroPhile

16x9?  :P

I'm not big on SFII (any version), but the PCE port is very good and perfectly demonstrates that the lil box can pull off competitive ports without needing to resort to CD.  'Tis a great game all around.... but it's no Strip Fighter.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

jtucci31

Well I fell a little behind with last week's game and am still trying to finish that one up. However, I'll still squeeze in bits of SF II this week :)

From what I have played previously though, it rules. While I'm not very good at fighting games, I sure do enjoy them a whole lot when I play them. And SF II takes the cake for me when it comes to older 16-bit fighting games. I never really enjoyed Mortal Kombat. When I was younger my friends had some on the PlayStation and I thought it was alright. Wish I had played more Street Fighter when I was a youngin. Especially this one too (of course I wish I had started playing PC Engine way earlier).

I have a friend at school who exclusively only plays Super Nintendo. I want to show him this port of SFII and blow his mind, as I try doing with most Turbo games. Sadly I only have one 6 button controller, though. I'll have to have him over soon to show him what the PCE can do.

Also, Guile and Ken's theme's are my favorites :mrgreen: I may make one of them my ringtone now that I think about it.

Gredler

Quote from: guest on 09/08/2015, 01:26 PM16x9?  :P
I normally play on my CRT, but I've been glued to my office so I gotta do what I gotta do. It looks like garbage on the LED regardless, so might as well enbiggen it! :P

munchiaz

Love this game, but its such a pain playing with my 2 button controller. I really need to get a 6 button soon. Better yet, modify a arcade stick to use on my PC-duo R

8bitAl

Are we all sitting comftybowl two square on our botty's.............?    Then I'll begin................

seieienbu

A little bit late to the party but I played some Champion Edition tonight.  As much as I love SF2 I don't have a particular love for playing it on a standard Turbo Pad.  Hitting select to alternate between punches and kicks works, I guess, but it's definitely not the optimal way to play the game.  I really should pick up a couple of 6 button pads at some point.  The first time I hit select+run at the same time accidentally I  was pleasantly surprised to find that I didn't accidentally reset my console while playing. 

Seeing as how I don't own a 6 button pad, I'm at least a little bit unfamiliar with the ins-and-outs of this particular port so I ran through arcade mode and did a bit of vs mode against a guy holding back to test out a bit of combo theory.  As Guile and Vega do not force me to use both punches and kicks in the same combo, I was able to successfully land a few combos with them and determined that redizzy combos are in fact in this game.  A "redizzy" is a combo where you stun a guy, then attack him during his stun animation and stun him again. 

From my fighting game snob perspective, this is a perfectly serviceable port of the game.  Definitely no less accurate than any other port from the day and debatable more arcade accurate to some versions in regards to redizzy combos working.  Some future SF2 home ports had them removed for Capcom-only-knows what reason.  Aesthetically it looks nice too and even includes a few animations removed from the SNES port.  The flip in Guile's forward jump springs to mind here; I was honestly surprised when I saw it in the game.

Also, omg, this is a good looking HuCard!
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Damon Plus

I always heard about this port back then in magazines, and I must say I was amazed when I tried it. What they did with this port is nothing short of mind blowing. And the Hu-card looks great too. S for the game, not much more to add: it's the Street Fighter we all love and have played to death.

Bardoly

Sorry for the late update, but I did beat this game (for my clear #41) during its Game of the Week time frame.  I was just too busy starting my new third shift job to do much forum stuff at the time.

I beat it twice - once as Ryu, and once as Blanka, and I really enjoyed it!  I hadn't played any version of Street Fighter in quite a long time - 10+ years, most likely, and it reminded me of all of the quarters that I spent back in '91-95 playing various versions of this arcade game hit.  Although I had gotten a TurboGrafx-16 by around '94 or '95, I never knew anything about the PC Engine, and so I never knew that this release was out there.  Anyone who can play PC Engine HuCARD should have and play a copy of this classic arcade gem!

cr8zykuban0

definitely one of my favorites ports of sf2. for an "8 bit" system, it really holds it own against the snes and genesis version and i think is graphically better than the other 2. The music i think is up to par with snes. Still a great port.

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 09/08/2015, 02:11 PMWell I fell a little behind with last week's game and am still trying to finish that one up. However, I'll still squeeze in bits of SF II this week :)

Also, Guile theme's are my favorites :mrgreen: I may make one of them my ringtone now that I think about it.
Every thing go's with the guile theme  :wink:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

roflmao

I have fond memories of showing off SFII on my Express to a friend during college (late 90s) and he was blown away by it, even though you had to manually switch between punches and kicks. :)

I'm not big on fighting games in general, but whenever I have a hankering to play one, this is usually my go-to game.

martinine

I love this port on PCE. It really melts my face everytime I fire it up and see the little engine that could churn out a serious arcade port. Think about when the tech for the PCE came out and when the arcade for SFII was released! Wow! Anyway, since reading this thread yesterday, Chun Li stage music won't get out of my head!
Keith Courage is #1. Alpha Zone inhabitant for life. Thanks to this forum for rejuvenating and continuing my interest in all things Obey.