RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

What it's like running an arcade in 2015 in the U.S

Started by BigusSchmuck, 09/08/2015, 12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreatBlue Swirlof99

Nice read, pity that we don't have arcades here in europe(at least where I live :()
The Dreamcast is still alive, so go play it before it kills your family!

Psycho Punch

Too bad those 'arcades' are more like gimmicks/decoration for these bars, I don't think that many people care about playing Terminator 2 or Bubble Bobble. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong though.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

o.pwuaioc

removed

xcrement5x

Neat read, it's interesting to read about how it is getting harder and harder for them to find units at reasonable prices as well.  Upkeep alone for places like that must be crazy.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

BigusSchmuck

Makes you wonder if it would be more cost effective to just use superguns and build around those instead...

ClodBusted

Quote from: GreatBlueSwirlof99 on 09/09/2015, 07:41 AMNice read, pity that we don't have arcades here in europe(at least where I live :()
Let me guess... You're from Germany?

If I'm wrong, feel free to poke fun at me as much as you wish.

TR0N

I've heard of barcades but there are none around here.It has to be a pricey venture though with the upkeep and all.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

wildfruit

This is about as close as I can get to an arcade these days
If you can call 2 cabs and three pinballs an arcade
https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/introducing-two-bit
It's near my work but it's full of hipsters drinking IPA cos it's trendy.
If you're lucky a trip to the seaside can be fruitful for a few Sega or Namco cabs but few and far between.
I miss going to my local department store that had a massive arcade on the top floor and spending all my pocket money whilst my mum went shopping.

pulstar

I've been to the Heart of Gaming a couple of times in London. Pretty good, it's mainly Versus City cabs playing Street Fighter (Super 2X, Alpha 2 and Third Strike mainly) , some other Capcom fighters and some Neo Geo fighters. There are some shooters there that get rotated with other games quite regularly. I haven't been up in a year though...http://www.thehoguk.com/gallery/

I think most arcades have to have a secondary income, such as bars/restaurants etc., just because arcades are not profitable anymore, not on their own, as unfortunate as that is.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

wildfruit

Quote from: pulstar on 09/10/2015, 07:57 AMI've been to the Heart of Gaming a couple of times in London. Pretty good, it's mainly Versus City cabs playing Street Fighter (Super 2X, Alpha 2 and Third Strike mainly) , some other Capcom fighters and some Neo Geo fighters. There are some shooters there that get rotated with other games quite regularly. I haven't been up in a year though...http://www.thehoguk.com/gallery/

I think most arcades have to have a secondary income, such as bars/restaurants etc., just because arcades are not profitable anymore, not on their own, as unfortunate as that is.
Yea I've seen this before. Looks decent and only £20 for a month pass is bargainous. I just cant be bothered trekking west across the city for this. I'm about 25 miles out from central and it just took me 1 3/4 hrs to drive that. If I lived near an underground station I probably would dive in.

pulstar

Yeah, it is a bit of a trek even on the tube...driving would be far worse and take ages if you're on the other side of the city. As well as the arcades there they also have consoles in the back room, they sell games on the front desk and even have tournaments and all sorts of events.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

bartre

http://www.thebeercade.com/

^^my current employer.
I specifically got hired to fix up machines, I'll see if i can post some pics of my backlog :lol: