RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

What is the latest and greatest with TGCD gear replacement?

Started by LostFlunky, 10/10/2015, 12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostFlunky

I replaced my middle gear a few years ago with the larger gear which makes one of the gears redundant and requires rewiring the motor--- is that still the norm for gear replacement or is there a more OEMish solution available now?

BlueBMW

I believe there are direct original replacements available now.  Though to convert back you will need the original small gear that was on the motor spindle.  They're all over ebay for around $10 now.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

LostFlunky

Quote from: BlueBMW on 10/10/2015, 12:31 PMI believe there are direct original replacements available now.  Though to convert back you will need the original small gear that was on the motor spindle.  They're all over ebay for around $10 now.
Thanks - see them on there now.. Otakus in Europe and gamedoctorHK in Hong Kong..  probably same fab source for both. 

Will have to dig through my parts box and see if I have the other gear still...

Keith Courage

Are you having issues with the two gear setup? If not then I would just keep using it.

LostFlunky

2 gear set up is working - but I am curious to see what effect the original 3 gear set up has on CD-r compatibility.  With certain games - they will work to a point and then get stuck accessing and the drive goes into a death cycle - loudly spinning up, then returning etc etc...   I can play the Ys IV translation up to the first cut scene and then "death cycle"... 

For example - I put together a patched GOT (Gate of Thunderforce) from Bonknut's site and it works gloriously.  A CDr of the U.S. GOT freezes and "death cycles" on the spotlight before the game select screen, but if I press "Run" it will load the select screen.  If I choose GOT - it will load and play.  Choose either Bonk title and it will go into a death cycle.

FWIW - The backups were ripped from original discs with TurboRip and verified with TocFixer before burning.

LostFlunky

I found my spare parts - I am going to order one and see.  I have a second, unmodified motor from a junk PCE CD unit, will drop that in place of the modded TGCD motor...

Keith Courage

CD-r function will probably be a bit better depending on how fast you CD lens motor turns. I will say that the original 3 gear setup is better than the 2 for CD-r discs. It's too bad the replacement middle gear was not easily available a couple years earlier. I'm sure there are a good number of drives running the 2 gear setup out there now.

LostFlunky

The 2 gear set up did its job - it took dead units and made them able to run, putting many smiles on many faces, including mine.  My TGCD was revived after being dead for over a decade...

LostFlunky

I received the replacement gear today and switched my TGCD back to a 3 gear set up.  It now loads all the CD-r's I have tried out, except some gold Kodak (74 minute) ones. 

I can reiterate what Keith said, and say that the 3 gear set up works much better with CD-r's than a 2 gear set up.

gtsamour

Just out of curiosity.... does the black (American) TG Cdrom2 suffer also from the gear problem or just the white (Japanese) cdrom2?

Keith Courage

yes, it does. both types of CD drives have the exact same gearing

wilykat

Both CD units are the same with different colored shell.  So both uses the same capacitors and same laser assembly, and same crap gear.