Snatcher Did the translation ever get finished?

Started by Dicer, 10/27/2015, 02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dicer

Seems it was started cant seem to find out what state it was left at or if it was finished at all?

I know I can play the FekaCD version, but I'd rather play on OBEY....

tknjin

I just checked the junker hq website, and it seems to have been on hiatus for quite some time, but from I am guessing he has been very busy with doing translation scripts for MGSV or something of the lines

here is the link

http://forums.junkerhq.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1389&sid=c065943a95009d2d6dee6023f3da053f&start=200

TurboXray

From what I knew, they didn't have a PCE hacker. From the way they described it, they were going to just replace the text (they contacted me wanting to know the filesystem format of the PCE CD, I told them there was not such thing). Without a PCE hacker, I can't imagine them getting too far (pointers modification, single byte ascii reads, new font routine, etc).

Dicer

Quote from: TurboXray on 10/27/2015, 12:14 PMFrom what I knew, they didn't have a PCE hacker. From the way they described it, they were going to just replace the text (they contacted me wanting to know the filesystem format of the PCE CD, I told them there was not such thing). Without a PCE hacker, I can't imagine them getting too far (pointers modification, single byte ascii reads, new font routine, etc).
This is unfortunate...

shawnji

They were just planning to take the text and voices straight from the Sega CD version, right?  I've often wondered why games with existing localizations on other platforms haven't been hacked already after all these years (Ninja Ryukenden, Langrisser, etc.)

TurboXray

Ninja Ryukenden on the PCE? Because it already has English as an option in the game.

Trenton_net

It's too bad no one wants to invest time into hacking / translating this game. It's probably up there as one of the most requested translations, but non pc-engine users just complain and say "play the Sega CD version instead". :/

If there was a kickstarter for this, I would totally back it.

NecroPhile

I'd love a translation of it, but I can see how many hackers would rather work on something "new" instead of porting an existing translation.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Bernie

I thought the translation was in French anyway?  I could be thinking of Dead of the Brain tho.

Dicer

Quote from: Bernie on 10/27/2015, 05:57 PMI thought the translation was in French anyway?  I could be thinking of Dead of the Brain tho.
You are thinking Dead of the Brain...

shawnji

Quote from: TurboXray on 10/27/2015, 12:52 PMNinja Ryukenden on the PCE? Because it already has English as an option in the game.
Oh!?  Well, hot damn.  That's surprising and awesome.  I don't know how I missed that.

TurboXray

Quote from: shawnji on 10/27/2015, 10:38 PM
Quote from: TurboXray on 10/27/2015, 12:52 PMNinja Ryukenden on the PCE? Because it already has English as an option in the game.
Oh!?  Well, hot damn.  That's surprising and awesome.  I don't know how I missed that.
http://www.videogameden.com/hucard.htm?nig
QuoteGo to the title screen, hold I and II, then press Select to cycle through the available languages (the title should change to the desired language). Three are available - Japanese (Default), English and Chinese.

jtucci31

This one would be awesome and the perfect way for me to play Snatcher since I sadly don't own a Sega CD. I won't bug any translators/hackers though because they're already doing great/hard work that is worth commending!

DeshDildo

I too would be all over a translation for this game.  I still haven't played the FEKA version.  I'll probably be playing an illegal disc as the price tag on an original is just craziness.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

Psycho Punch

Wish the excellent Jeremy Blaustein localization was brought over to the PCE. I don't care about the Sega CD at all and the US copies of snatcher are way overpriced.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

elmer

This is Kojima's only PCE game, right?

And he had nothing to do with the Sega version, or the English translation?

Is the Japanese PCE game really, really good?

TurboXray

I remember skipping over this one as a project years back because without a dub it would seem too incomplete. Nowadays though, different story. I always thought there wasn't demand for it either, since the SegaCD version had come out. And, IIRC, the MSX ones were translated as well?

Artemio

I am of course interested in doing the transation as well, and willing to help in any way possible.

roflmao

I would love a translation to this as well.  I don't have a Sega CD and doubt I'll ever get one and the PCE version, which I do have, it way too moon rune-y for me. :)

technozombie

I was looking to see if this was translated a few months ago when I saw how cheap the PCE version is. I just finished watching Blade Runner and now I want to see how much of it Kojima ripped off.

shawnji

Quote from: technozombie on 11/01/2015, 01:57 AMI was looking to see if this was translated a few months ago when I saw how cheap the PCE version is. I just finished watching Blade Runner and now I want to see how much of it Kojima ripped off.
All of it, basically. :P It's still definitely fun to play through if you enjoy the genre.  Policenauts is pretty good too.

How'd you like Blade Runner, by the way?  Also, which of the cuts did you end up watching?  It's my favorite film of all time, bar none, so I feel compelled to ask.

technozombie

Quote from: shawnji on 11/01/2015, 02:13 AM
Quote from: technozombie on 11/01/2015, 01:57 AMI was looking to see if this was translated a few months ago when I saw how cheap the PCE version is. I just finished watching Blade Runner and now I want to see how much of it Kojima ripped off.
All of it, basically. It's still definitely fun to play through if you enjoy the genre.  Policenauts is pretty good too.

How'd you like Blade Runner, by the way?  Also, which of the cuts did you end up watching?  It's my favorite film of all time, bar none, so I feel compelled to ask.
I watched the theatrical release. Are there multiple directors cuts? Are they better? I really liked the movie. The sets and backdrops were great like when he's out on that balcony just for a short time, but the scene/mood is really cool. Overall, I felt the story was a bit weak but I also realize my expectations in 2015 are different than they would have been in 1982, mostly because I was born in 81. I didn't mind the somewhat corny narration it fit with the old time detective movie theme.

shawnji

Quote from: technozombie on 11/01/2015, 03:10 AM
Quote from: shawnji on 11/01/2015, 02:13 AM
All of it, basically. It's still definitely fun to play through if you enjoy the genre.  Policenauts is pretty good too.

I watched the theatrical release. Are there multiple directors cuts? Are they better? I really liked the movie. The sets and backdrops were great like when he's out on that balcony just for a short time, but the scene/mood is really cool. Overall, I felt the story was a bit weak but I also realize my expectations in 2015 are different than they would have been in 1982, mostly because I was born in 81. I didn't mind the somewhat corny narration it fit with the old time detective movie theme.
Aww... you watched the butchered version first. 

The narration was basically forced on Ridley Scott because Sir Run Run Shaw and the Ladd Company didn't think audiences would "get" the movie without it.  It also has a forced "happy" ending. 

You should definitely try to watch one of the Director's Cuts (of which there are indeed multiple versions).  It's an entirely different experience. 

Don't get me wrong, it's still a good film; but the first Director's Cut in the early 90's was what really cemented it as a classic.

technozombie

I'll definitely check it out. I don't know why I never got around to seeing it sooner. I would have loved in the 90s around the same time I was watching Akira and Ghost in the Shell.

shawnji

Quote from: technozombie on 11/01/2015, 06:06 AMI'll definitely check it out. I don't know why I never got around to seeing it sooner. I would have loved in the 90s around the same time I was watching Akira and Ghost in the Shell.
Heehee.  I can definitely see that.  I still remember the commercials for the Akira VHS tape on the Sci-fi Channel that were all like, "It makes Blade Runner look like Disney World!"  Of course, I did eventually get said VHS tape and still have it even now. :P

TurboXray

Watching Blade Runner again. Wow, I can really the influence (and more) in Snatcher and Bubblegum Crisis.

elmer

Quote from: TurboXray on 11/01/2015, 03:14 PMWatching Blade Runner again. Wow, I can really the influence (and more) in Snatcher and Bubblegum Crisis.
Syd Mead ... a true genius.

spenoza

Bubblegum Crisis has always been VERY upfront about the Blade Runner inspirations. No hiding of sources there! It's one of my fave anime series, to boot. I have the Animeigo DVD re-releases and 2 of the 3 R. Talsorian RPG books. That 3rd one is very difficult to find.

technozombie

Quote from: elmer on 11/01/2015, 04:04 PM
Quote from: TurboXray on 11/01/2015, 03:14 PMWatching Blade Runner again. Wow, I can really the influence (and more) in Snatcher and Bubblegum Crisis.
Syd Mead ... a true genius.
Maybe it should have been called Syd Mead's Snatcher.