Look what I found in the Chicago Tribune archives

Started by SGX Engine, 11/09/2015, 04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slinkyturd

70/95 US Turbochips

SGX Engine

I have no idea, not very familiar with DoxPhile. 

I was trying to see if I could find a picture of any of the mail-in offers for a free game that came with the TurboGrafx-16, especially in 1990 when I got mine. I happened upon those Chicago Tribune ads on Google instead.

NightWolve

Oh HEY, dude, I need your help for a bit of history!!!!!

Can you access archives like that for the Chicago Sun Times too ?? Please say yes!!! :)

It's my story as to how I even became a turbo fan! If I had never won this contest, I likely would've ignored the system because affording the NES and later the SNES was already much for a kid back then collecting cash from birthday and Christmas cards to save up for such purchases.

Here's the whole story:

pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?msg=218974

And repeated, edited a little better:

pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?msg=358433

IMG

So, I need the archive for Chicago Sun Times on August 19, 1990. It was the Sunday edition of the paper.

Can this be accessed ?? As you can see, I only have the top portion of the 750 Turbo Titans contest that won me a TG-16 system with Bloody Wolf and Keith Courage. I've wanted and searched for the whole page so I can have all the NES questions you had to answer correctly to have won the system!

SGX Engine

I'm looking for it, but the  Chicago Sun-Times archives only go back to 1997.
http://wssp.suntimes.com/search-archive/

There is also a set of Chicago Sun-Times archives on highbeam.com - You might want to look here though it seems to only have text, not image archives.

Last resort might be:
https://www.chipublib.org/resources-types/newspaper/

but you need a Chicago public library card, physical or electronic, to access.

NightWolve

Quote from: SGX Engine on 11/09/2015, 06:10 AMLast resort might be:
https://www.chipublib.org/resources-types/newspaper/

but you need a Chicago public library card, physical or electronic, to access.
Ah, so I had access to some archive with my library account (I thought that was physically possible at some location, didn't know they made stuff available online till now though). Yeah, I just logged in and searched, I found August 19, 1990, but like highbeam.com, they have only archived textual articles! Damn, so close to finally finding it!!!!! I tried searching under "contest," but that's only one find and it's not it... The ads were not that important to them to archive... :/

Miracle_Warrior

Marto_Jo-ing

Pretty cool, Thanks for sharing. Cheers!!!

dallaspattern

esteban

I LOVE THIS!

Nulltard and I need to document these sort of ads...I have never seen newspaper ads like this!

GREAT FIND!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Medic_wheat

The only thing I want to know is if that $50 Rebait offer is still good for the holidays.

SGX Engine

esteban

https://archives.tg-16.com/EGM_1989_07.htm

Quote from: SGX Engine on 12/19/2015, 07:38 PMAlso found this in EGM issue 3:

IMG
You will enjoy the whole page, but this will jump to the contest in your scan...

https://archives.tg-16.com/EGM_1989_07.htm#Win_TG-16

esteban

Reviving this thread because I just realized that I paid $50 too much for TG-16 when I bought it.

This was a crazy good deal.

I don't know why I thought this advertisement was from later ('90-'91), but I wish I had heard of this promotion (assuming it was available to me).

I know... I should let it go... The past is the past.

$50.

DAMN.

OK.

I will be OK.

Breathe...

REQUEST: Of anyone else has links to newspaper articles/ads (something I have spent very little time pursuing), please post your finds! Thank you.

xcrement5x

Quote from: Miracle_Warrior on 11/09/2015, 11:45 AMSusie Scribbles was $119.99? Daaaaamn. 
I am glad I was not the only person with this reaction.  That is one pricey bitch.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

esteban

Quote from: guest on 09/07/2016, 04:12 PM
Quote from: Miracle_Warrior on 11/09/2015, 11:45 AMSusie Scribbles was $119.99? Daaaaamn. 
I am glad I was not the only person with this reaction.  That is one pricey bitch.
Jeezus!

$$$

exodus

jperryss

Quote from: NightWolve on 11/09/2015, 06:27 AMAh, so I had access to some archive with my library account (I thought physically that was possible at some location, didn't know they made stuff available online till now though). Yeah, I just logged in and searched, I found August 19, 1990, but like highbeam.com, they have only archived textual articles! Damn, so close to finally finding it!!!!! I tried searching under "contest," but that's only one find and it's not it... The ads were not that important to them to archive... :/
EDIT: I'm a dumbass, wrong paper. Sorry.