Sega CD model 1 repair

Started by pdiggitydogg, 11/29/2015, 01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdiggitydogg

Would anyone know if I can trigger a model 1 drive tray operation without connecting a Genesis?
It's kind of a big hassle go rig both together while the CD unit is so disassembled.

I am in the midst of repairing this model 1 and am having trouble with the tray staying closed. I believe it is aligned correctly and I've soaked the drive belt in hot water to restore some memory to it.
The gears all seem fine and manually turning it works OK...and it seems that the switch is being triggered... But all this is difficult to tell while there's a Genesis pearched on top.

xcrement5x

Quote from: pdiggitydogg on 11/29/2015, 01:39 PMWould anyone know if I can trigger a model 1 drive tray operation without connecting a Genesis?
It's kind of a big hassle go rig both together while the CD unit is so disassembled.

I am in the midst of repairing this model 1 and am having trouble with the tray staying closed. I believe it is aligned correctly and I've soaked the drive belt in hot water to restore some memory to it.
The gears all seem fine and manually turning it works OK...and it seems that the switch is being triggered... But all this is difficult to tell while there's a Genesis pearched on top.
If it keeps doing that opening/closing the tray thing I'm pretty sure your belt is shot.  Just buy a new one or get and O-Ring pack from Advance Auto and use the closest sized one. 

Oh, and regarding troubleshooting with the top off, when I fix these I just plus the Genesis into the expansion and stick a screwdriver handle about the right diameter under the left side of the Genesis to keep it from drooping. It's ghetto but I never had problems.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Groover

I also have issues with my launch Sega CD Model 1. My issue is different. The disc just doesn't read. I think xcrement5x is on the money it sounds like the belt or gear.
IMG

EvilEvoIX

You also better pray that the gears that lift the heavy spindle and CD Mechanism isn't stripped or you are screwed.  One of mine died that way and I couldn't get gears to repair it.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

pdiggitydogg

Yeah, after messing around some more, I agree its the belt. Lots of slack.
I also need to either replace the laser or attempt tweaking the pots (highly unlikely).
A music CD loaded if I flipped the power off when the tray was fully closed, but only played track 1 - no game would load.

xcrement5x

Quote from: pdiggitydogg on 11/30/2015, 02:57 PMYeah, after messing around some more, I agree its the belt. Lots of slack.
I also need to either replace the laser or attempt tweaking the pots (highly unlikely).
A music CD loaded if I flipped the power off when the tray was fully closed, but only played track 1 - no game would load.
I've been lucky most times that it is just the belt and the laser is still okay.  I recommend Sega16 for the tech area alone if you're having issues.  They're normally pretty good.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

seieienbu

I had a somewhat similar problem with my Sega CD recently but managed to get it fixed. 

Sega 16 was pretty annoying for me.  I had a problem with the allignment of my Sega CD's gears and wanted to post about it so I tried to get a forum account there.  The same question hadn't been asked so I tried to make a post but, even though the site claimed I'd been okayed I was still waiting for an admin for final approval. 

Anyway, I eventually figured out my alignment problem and then the only issue was a defective belt so I replaced it and was good to go.  The forums were full of info on that particular problem so I guess Sega 16 was useful there.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

xcrement5x

Quote from: seieienbu on 12/03/2015, 05:50 PMI had a somewhat similar problem with my Sega CD recently but managed to get it fixed. 

Sega 16 was pretty annoying for me.  I had a problem with the allignment of my Sega CD's gears and wanted to post about it so I tried to get a forum account there.  The same question hadn't been asked so I tried to make a post but, even though the site claimed I'd been okayed I was still waiting for an admin for final approval. 

Anyway, I eventually figured out my alignment problem and then the only issue was a defective belt so I replaced it and was good to go.  The forums were full of info on that particular problem so I guess Sega 16 was useful there.
Yeah, the approval process there in the beginning is weird, they had a big problem people with joining/spamming at one point so that's why I think most posts from new users need to be reviewed first.  Glad it helped a bit, that place is chock full of good info but kind of stagnant at this point sometimes.

The gears in particular on the M1 SegaCD were weird for me to figure out.  A lot of back and forth, and once I got it I could replicate on other units, it but I have no idea how I would describe it to someone. 

ginoscope

Hey guys great thread I also have a model 1 sega cd that I think has a loose belt.

My issue is that when I load a cd it grinds for a few seconds and then plays fine.  I have greased everything with white lithium and it still does it.  The belt does have a lot of slack so I am wondering if that is the issue.

pdiggitydogg

I think if you have too much grease on the gears it will slip.  See if any of them have worn down.  I know you can replace the tray loading gear, possibly others but I can't remember.
Have you tried it with the top off, to see which gear is giving you trouble?

Still havent sourced a replacement belt (though, I havent looked either).

EvilEvoIX

There are tiny White Plastic Gears that lift the Spindle up into the tray, those tend to get stripped, I had a unit that did that and it was basically ruined.  I had to take it apart and load a game into it physically to get it to work.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

pdiggitydogg

Isn't the lens assembly lifted by the helix gear and large black tray gear?

seieienbu

Quote from: pdiggitydogg on 12/05/2015, 07:28 PMIsn't the lens assembly lifted by the helix gear and large black tray gear?
That sounds exactly like what I had to do to lower the lens assembly to get the tray out of mine, so I'd say "yes."
Current want list:  Bomberman 93