Opening a PCE AV Booster (without breaking it)?

Started by Ergot_Cholera, 12/08/2015, 05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ergot_Cholera

I just received one that is quite dirty, so I want to open it first of all to give it a good clean and I might add an RGB amp to it at some point, but first of all I need to get inside the thing!
I can see that there are two clips on the top and three on the bottom holding the front part in place, but is there an easy way or tried and tested method to doing this without damaging anything?

Bernie

Quote from: guest on 12/08/2015, 05:59 PMI just received one that is quite dirty, so I want to open it first of all to give it a good clean and I might add an RGB amp to it at some point, but first of all I need to get inside the thing!
I can see that there are two clips on the top and three on the bottom holding the front part in place, but is there an easy way or tried and tested method to doing this without damaging anything?
I'd just use a 3 LB hammer. 

Ergot_Cholera

Quote from: Bernie on 12/08/2015, 06:08 PM
Quote from: guest on 12/08/2015, 05:59 PMI just received one that is quite dirty, so I want to open it first of all to give it a good clean and I might add an RGB amp to it at some point, but first of all I need to get inside the thing!
I'd just use a 3 LB hammer.
Great! What inspired you to reply? Do I also have a "KICK ME" note taped to my back?

csgx1

I opened one years ago and from what I remember you just need to lightly press in all the tabs with a flat screwdriver while pulling/wiggling the connector.  It should slide out once all the tabs are not latched into the slots.  Be careful since the plastic is old.  I ended up breaking off like two tabs. 

Vimtoman

Two flat screwdrivers .
Managed to open mine up without breaking it. 
Then the fun was over.
It's still in bits now as I cant be bothered to do anything with it.

Ergot_Cholera

I have managed to push the top two clips in using plastic spatula things and I can push in the middle clip on the bottom, but the two bottom outer clips will not budge.

Bernie

Im messing man.  No offense.  :)   SMASH IT!

Sent from my iPhone using your mama

Ergot_Cholera

Quote from: Bernie on 12/09/2015, 04:04 PMIm messing man.  No offense.  :)   SMASH IT!

Sent from my iPhone using your mama
You misspelt offence! Just messing dude!

SephirothTNH

pdiggitydogg

Ergot_Cholera

(Just in case anyone is interested) I managed to open it!
I had to cut the top 2mm off the outer clips on the bottom of the AV booster and then slide a plastic card underneath the front part to get them to slide through the holes. The clips will still "clip" but are not quite as tall.
 I wonder if this post will incite any further mirth amongst certain readers of this topic?

Ergot_Cholera

Does anyone know the values of the inductors at L401-403 and the diode at D401? I have some of the ceramic filters at LC401-403 from a broken PC Engine but I need some of different value the same as the ones at LC404 & 405, where can I get these?