@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

A CD Drive to Make Backups?

Started by mj9123456, 01/03/2016, 06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mj9123456

Hi. I want to burn some PC Engine CD backups, but the drive in my desktop won't write CD-Rs at 8X, nor will the external one I got in the mail today for that specific purpose (it won't go lower than 10X). I'll be using a SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 adapter to connect whichever drive I get to my desktop (it's a shared computer and I can't replace the main drive itself). Can someone please recommend a drive that can burn CD-Rs at 8x (and of a quality that'll work in my Duo)? Thanks.

NightWolve

ysutopia.net/software/ImgBurn.zip

Here's a clean copy of ImgBurn. Use that for burning your CD-Rs and just select the slowest speed allowed. If that's 10x, so be it. That should still work fine if you do things right. For one thing, always make sure you're selecting the CUE file to burn with, not the ISO, which is a common mistake resulting in CD-Rs that don't work.

EDIT: I had a YAMAHA whose lowest speed was 10x, not the end of the world and it's not the reason you're making coasters that don't work at all... Either burn software or hardware problem, CD-R brand totally sucks or user problem, selecting wrong file for burning, etc.

thesteve

if it doesnt work try another drive, as some dont support the format at all
the write speed is not as critical

tbone3969

I have burnt all of my CDrs at 10X or higher and they work fine in my DUO however my TurboGrafx CD is another story.  It will only play about 20% of the burnt games. 

Also make sure you are using the TurboRip program to verify that the images are legit and ready to burn.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

mj9123456

FYI, I have a PC Engine Duo that I got from forum user Keith Courage. I'm using the type of discs he recommended, and I'm using Alcohol 120%. I haven't tried burning any games at 10X yet, as I was under the impression that 8X was ideal. Rather than wasting CDs, I figured I'd ask for a drive recommendation here. Since the drive I got today only goes down to 10X, I'm going to return it and get a different one.

NightWolve

Chances are, you might not find a modern drive for sale that goes lower than 10x and as was said, the write speed isn't that critical. You reduce the chance for skips with low speeds, but you're simply getting CD-Rs that don't work at all... Your drive is most likely not the problem. Try burning with my ImgBurn before dismissing the drive.

It goes like this: The lowest speed the CD-R and drive support is ideal. Using max speed is a bad idea. That's the principle. It's not locked in to 4x, 8x, 10x, etc. It's getting paranoid to go off and say try to find old drives that can burn as low as 1x or 2x, etc.

mj9123456

Quote from: NightWolve on 01/03/2016, 08:31 PMChances are, you might not find a modern drive for sale that goes lower than 10x and as was said, the write speed isn't that critical. You reduce the chance for skips with low speeds, but you're simply getting CD-Rs that don't work at all... Your drive is most likely not the problem. Try burning with my ImgBurn before dismissing the drive.

It goes like this: The lowest speed the CD-R and drive support is ideal. Using max speed is a bad idea. That's the principle. It's not locked in to 4x, 8x, 10x, etc. It's getting paranoid to go off and say try to find old drives that can burn as low as 1x or 2x, etc.
Hi. Thanks for your input. However, I never said I was getting CD-Rs that don't work at all. I'll try to burn a few at 10X and see how they work. I was just hoping to burn at 8X since that's what was recommended to me, and I figured it could reduce the likelihood of having problems while playing the game.

deubeul

I have an old external CD writer from 2002 that I found at my job, seemed to be brand new. I thought I found the messiah for burning backups  :mrgreen:. I had to install XP on an old P4 because there's no W7 driver available. I could burn at 2x with it, I tried with verbatim and TDK CDRs with both cloneCD and Imgburn. My Duo-R didn't read anything, but my CDromrom did. At first everything was fine, but I soon had huge glithes that blocked the game with the only CDRs which worked, Verbatims.

Then I burnt the same game with Imgburn on a W7 recent PC with budget DVD writer at the lower speed it could, 14x, and TDKs and Verbatims worked flawlessly on both systems. But I can't tell if it will shorten the life of the lens, it was last week.

BTW the game I burnt is XAK3 in english, mad props and huge thanks for your work, NightWolve, I had mad fun playing through it !!  =D> :D

thesteve

the 8X rule was based on 2 things
1 if your buffer underruns its likely to cause a glitch in unknown data formats (PCE)
2 if you burn faster then the laser must push harder to write the disc, so running in the upper range for the drive will cause you issues

NightWolve

Quote from: mj9123456 on 01/03/2016, 08:47 PM
Quote from: NightWolve on 01/03/2016, 08:31 PMChances are, you might not find a modern drive for sale that goes lower than 10x and as was said, the write speed isn't that critical. You reduce the chance for skips with low speeds, but you're simply getting CD-Rs that don't work at all... Your drive is most likely not the problem. Try burning with my ImgBurn before dismissing the drive.

Hi. Thanks for your input. However, I never said I was getting CD-Rs that don't work at all. I'll try to burn a few at 10X and see how they work. I was just hoping to burn at 8X since that's what was recommended to me, and I figured it could reduce the likelihood of having problems while playing the game.
I see, so you were in search of a solution for a problem that had yet to manifest itself because of a word-of-mouth developed firm belief that 8x was a magic burning speed and you hadn't even tested a burn from this new drive because it didn't allow anything below 10x... ;)

Well, again, it's not that critical and the difference between 8x to 10x isn't huge. What you wanna pay attention to is skipping/stopping on an audio track such as background music. If the game loads, you've got a working burn and if the background music never skips, then stops, there is no problem, it is compatible with the CD-R.

* If a good CD-R burn doesn't work at all, but it works with an emulator, then your CD laser would need tuning or possible replacement.

* If you do get skips on real CD-ROMS, or CD-Rs, even then, the first thing to try is relubrication of the laser's sliding poles, that usually fixes that problem.

* If CDROMs work perfectly, but CD-Rs randomly misread while music is playing and it stops, the game goes on with no sound, that's where a good CD-R brand and slow burn might make a difference.

Anyhow, yeah, try it out first before feeling you must replace this drive because it can't burn slightly slower... You been led into being excessively cautious about this if you believe you really must find a drive that can burn a bit slower without even having tested anything from the drive you just bought.

tbone3969

XAK3 in English sounds cool.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Trenton_net

These days burn speed really doesn't matter anymore. As long as your CD-R Media is rated for a particular speed, it will be compatible with burning at that speed. The real issue is figuring out what CD-R Media dyes work best with your PCE setup.

NecroPhile

Quote from: tbone3969 on 01/04/2016, 09:54 AMWhat the hell is XAK3 in English and where to I get the image file.  I wanna play it.
Try google.

Asking for ISOs is a bannable offense.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

tbone3969

Quote from: guest on 01/04/2016, 10:18 AM
Quote from: tbone3969 on 01/04/2016, 09:54 AMWhat the hell is XAK3 in English and where to I get the image file.  I wanna play it.
Try google.

My bad.  Totally understand.  Please disregard that post.

NightWolve

Quote from: tbone3969 on 01/04/2016, 09:54 AMWhat the hell is XAK3 in English...  I wanna play it.
My first PCE fan translation project. Also the first PCE translation of a CD RPG.

https://www.ysutopia.net/projects/xak3/

Vimtoman

I've tried pretty much every combination of burn speeds and CDR types and found that it's really finding a happy medium.
If it burns and works stick with it.

tbone3969

Quote from: NightWolve on 01/04/2016, 10:37 AM
Quote from: tbone3969 on 01/04/2016, 09:54 AMWhat the hell is XAK3 in English...  I wanna play it.
My first PCE fan translation project. Also the first PCE translation of a CD RPG.

Thanks once again Nightwolve.  I have been using your TurboRip program a ton.  Whats your PayPal so I can donate to you.  You do great work.

ginoscope

Quote from: tbone3969 on 01/04/2016, 11:04 AM

Thanks once again Nightwolve.  I have been using your TurboRip program a ton.  Whats your PayPal so I can donate to you.  You do great work.
https://www.ysutopia.net/

There is a donate button on his page.  It's a good deed to donate to our translators and programmers.  I also played a lot of the Ys games on the PC that nightwolve translated so much appreciated.

As a developer by trade myself I really should find the time to look into PCE development.  There are so many games that have not been translated.

Going back on topic I use a benq drive externally on my mac using burn.  Burn is basically img burn on the mac.  I have had no issues making backups.  You just have to know what media the duo will read.  My duo does not like that blue cd-r crap from Sony.

mj9123456

I have some games ripped in CCD/IMG/SUB format. Every time I try to burn them using ImgBurn, I get the same error message: "Close Track Failed!  Device: [0:0:0] Optiarc DVD RW.....   Reason: Invalid Field in CDB." Any ideas why? I've read that ImgBurn can do these types of files. Thanks.

jperryss

Try google.

How is that any worse than a 50+ page thread selling/giving away bootleg discs?

Bernie

Quote from: jperryss on 01/05/2016, 06:27 PM
Try google.

How is that any worse than a 50+ page thread selling/giving away bootleg discs?
Not a fan of our repros?  :(

Keith Courage

Quote from: mj9123456 on 01/05/2016, 09:45 AMI have some games ripped in CCD/IMG/SUB format. Every time I try to burn them using ImgBurn, I get the same error message: "Close Track Failed!  Device: [0:0:0] Optiarc DVD RW.....   Reason: Invalid Field in CDB." Any ideas why? I've read that ImgBurn can do these types of files. Thanks.
IMG burn won't work with some of those depending on how they were originally ripped.  Alcohol 120% would be the way to go on those.

NecroPhile

Quote from: jperryss on 01/05/2016, 06:27 PMHow is that any worse than a 50+ page thread selling/giving away bootleg discs?
Because isps and hosting services have a legal requirement to curtail illegal downloads but don't have a crusade against physical bootlegs.

Take it up with Aaron if you have a problem with it.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

jperryss

Quote from: Bernie on 01/05/2016, 08:24 PMNot a fan of our repros?  :(
Of course I am! Just thought it was odd to call that out.

NightWolve

Quote from: mj9123456 on 01/05/2016, 09:45 AMI have some games ripped in CCD/IMG/SUB format. Every time I try to burn them using ImgBurn, I get the same error message: "Close Track Failed!  Device: [0:0:0] Optiarc DVD RW.....   Reason: Invalid Field in CDB." Any ideas why? I've read that ImgBurn can do these types of files. Thanks.
That error indicates an improper SCSI command packet was sent to the DVD drive and the drive's BIOS (essentially) rejected it.

Possible reasons:

1) ImgBurn is producing bad SCSI command packets when it comes to Clone CD images because not enough research/reverse-engineering was done by ImgBurn's creator to fully understand the format.

2) Whatever software was used to produce the Clone CD image, did so improperly and maybe it's not ImgBurn's fault, it simply reacts badly to some issue in the image control CCD file, fails to compensate and so an error results.

People mostly don't use Clone CD to produce or burn such images. They're using the copycat freeware freebies, so they'll never be as good as Clone CD in handling its own format in the best fashion.

You could install CloneCD itself, run it on trial to get those burned, see if no error results. Or as Keith indicated, try Alcohol. Is there a burning version that's free ? Don't think so...

But yeah, I would really doubt it was the drive's fault. The drive is simply telling you that the SCSI command packet that ImgBurn sent it was not properly set up. So either ImgBurn screwed up, or the image is kind of screwy and was not properly compensated for.

"Reason: Invalid Field in CDB" - CDB = Command Descriptor Block. The more modern terminology the MMC (SCSI-3) group adopted later is "command packet" which is a bit more human understandable.

mj9123456

Thanks a lot for your input.

NightWolve

Quote from: tbone3969 on 01/04/2016, 11:04 AM

Oh right, wanted to mention, tbone did actually donate, so thanks! I never believe when claims are made that someone is going to donate in a thread because they would've already done it if they wanted... A % don't, they say so for PR I guess and then don't bother.

Quote from: mj9123456 on 01/13/2016, 02:20 PMThanks a lot for your input.
No problem. The other free idea is simple enough too, if you mount the CCD image with a virtual CD emulator (Alcohol52% freeware/Daemon Tools/etc), you can rip it to BIN/CUE and then burn that.

In other words, convert the CD image to another more common format. Clone CD is mostly unnecessary unless you have an advanced copy protection scheme found on some PC discs or for CD+G/Karaoke discs.

Most retro CD games likes SegaCD, PC Engine, NeoGeo, etc. have no protections and are fine and smaller with BIN/CUE. ISO/WAV/CUE what TurboRip defaults to is the best of course because you can then use specialized audio compression (FLAC/APE or go lossy if you don't care) on the waves and really compress the results. And with the data tracks separate and consistently sized in cooked mode (just pure data, no CD needed info like flagging, EDC/ECC stuff which the burning software regenerates), patching for fan translations is easier. It's also easier to simply replace a Japanese wave file with an English one if you ever try for a dub.