RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Playing audio CD in Duo while playing Huey game

Started by wilykat, 01/29/2016, 10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilykat

TurboCD and PCE Cd had play button that would allow one to play music CD while playing with Hucard game.  Duo does not have such buttons as the CD drive were never made to be detachable and playable as stand alone CD player.

Is the hardware under that Duo CD system the same?  If so, would it be possible to add play, stop, next, and previous button and make playing music possible while playing card games?

Keith Courage

this would be cool. I remember when I was younger I would always take a music CD of some sort and play it along with any of the TV sports games since none of them had any music except for on the title screen.

BigusSchmuck

It would be cool to do have that ability on the Duo. I do recall taking out the music on copied cd games and putting in better versions of the song... Blasphemy I know. :P

CrackTiger

I used to play Entombed's Wolverine Blues while playing through Doom for Jaguar bitd.

SFII' is a good game for this with the trick to remove chip tunes. I'm currently working on a video of the game being played through using the new remastered soundtrack.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Duo_R

I used the Terminator 2 soundtrack to play Bloody wolf. The music overpowered the regular music. It was awesome.

Quote from: Keith Courage on 01/31/2016, 03:17 PMthis would be cool. I remember when I was younger I would always take a music CD of some sort and play it along with any of the TV sports games since none of them had any music except for on the title screen.
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Duo_R

oh wow how do you remove the tunes? I'm thinking we need a thread called "TG / PCE games that are good to play with a CD Soundtrack."

Quote from: guest on 02/01/2016, 11:54 AMI used to play Entombed's Wolverine Blues while playing through Doom for Jaguar bitd.

SFII' is a good game for this with the trick to remove chip tunes. I'm currently working on a video of the game being played through using the new remastered soundtrack.

JoshTurboTrollX

This is very cool!  Never knew about the TurboCD ability to play music WHILE playing HuCards!

AMAZE!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ginoscope

Wow same here I had no clue you could actually do this.

Now I have something to try out when I get home on my turbo cd.

CatPix

I haven't tested it yet, but apparently, the trick is simple to pull.

You need a multitap, and a controller plugged into port N°3. Press Run on pad 3 during the gameplay demo and it should pause the demo. Press Run on pad N°1 and the game will resume, without BGM.

csgx1

I tried the SFII' trick and it works.  Pretty cool feature that I wish other Hucard games had.  It also would be awesome if a Duo could be modded with CD player controls. 

Here's more details that ElSeven posted a few years ago...

Quote from: ElSeven on 01/07/2013, 06:56 PMi love reviving this thread  :P

Rumor (legend?) has it that Street Fighter 2 was originally supposed to load music off of an included CD, which may explain why the hucard comes in a double case.  The double case could have just been used to make the game look more impressive, since it was a whopping 9800 YEN at release (ouch!).  Either way, the CD was apparently scrapped to help keep the cost down.

Well anyway, the programmers left in the code to turn off the chiptune BGM, so that you may enjoy CD Music with the standard SFII sound effects peppered in.  This procedure requires either a cd-rom2 briefcase setup or TG-CD.  Sorry, no fancy duo units allowed  [-(

1. Startup the game like normal, but let the demo play out
2. Insert a controller into port 3 of the tap and press RUN.  This will pause the demo, letting you know it worked correctly.
3. Insert any CD of your preference. 
4. Press RUN on controller 1 or 2 to start the game like normal.
5. Press the PLAY button on the CD unit for the music to start, skip buttons to select track.

maybe this is well known, but I had trouble tracking it down online.  Thankfully the turbolist archives are still online.

Edit: relevant gif is relevant

IMG
Original post...
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?msg=277464

Duo_R

martinine

Does anyone know if the Duo was capable of running a chip/cd combo game similar to Pier Solar on Mega Drive/Genesis?
Keith Courage is #1. Alpha Zone inhabitant for life. Thanks to this forum for rejuvenating and continuing my interest in all things Obey.

CrackTiger

Quote from: martinine on 02/01/2016, 10:32 PMDoes anyone know if the Duo was capable of running a chip/cd combo game similar to Pier Solar on Mega Drive/Genesis?
Yes, programmers have talked about it in the past.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

thisIsLoneWolf

I used to do this with Final Lap Twin, way back in the day. During the races, you can hit select to shut off the music, but keep the sound effects. It works really well when listening to music on the TurboGrafx CD.

dallaspattern

That would've been badass!

Quote from: Duo_R on 02/01/2016, 11:58 AMI used the Terminator 2 soundtrack to play Bloody wolf. The music overpowered the regular music. It was awesome.

Quote from: Keith Courage on 01/31/2016, 03:17 PMthis would be cool. I remember when I was younger I would always take a music CD of some sort and play it along with any of the TV sports games since none of them had any music except for on the title screen.

grolt

I heard Yo, Bro syncs up perfectly to Dark Side of the Moon
I'm a notorious strange man.

geise

Quote from: guest on 02/01/2016, 11:54 AMI used to play Entombed's Wolverine Blues while playing through Doom for Jaguar bitd.

Nice!  No "Left Hand Path" while playing Doom?

Psycho Punch

I used to love to listen master of puppets while playing doom on my pc. What I would do was go to the options menu and turn on soundblaster background music. :P

non-jokes aside, the street fighter II trick is very interesting but without a play button on the Duo I cannot do it. :(
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: csgx1 on 02/01/2016, 01:31 PMI tried the SFII' trick and it works.  Pretty cool feature that I wish other Hucard games had.  It also would be awesome if a Duo could be modded with CD player controls. 

Here's more details that ElSeven posted a few years ago...

Quote from: ElSeven on 01/07/2013, 06:56 PMi love reviving this thread  :P

Rumor (legend?) has it that Street Fighter 2 was originally supposed to load music off of an included CD, which may explain why the hucard comes in a double case.  The double case could have just been used to make the game look more impressive, since it was a whopping 9800 YEN at release (ouch!).  Either way, the CD was apparently scrapped to help keep the cost down.

Well anyway, the programmers left in the code to turn off the chiptune BGM, so that you may enjoy CD Music with the standard SFII sound effects peppered in.  This procedure requires either a cd-rom2 briefcase setup or TG-CD.  Sorry, no fancy duo units allowed  [-(

1. Startup the game like normal, but let the demo play out
2. Insert a controller into port 3 of the tap and press RUN.  This will pause the demo, letting you know it worked correctly.
3. Insert any CD of your preference. 
4. Press RUN on controller 1 or 2 to start the game like normal.
5. Press the PLAY button on the CD unit for the music to start, skip buttons to select track.

maybe this is well known, but I had trouble tracking it down online.  Thankfully the turbolist archives are still online.

Edit: relevant gif is relevant

IMG
Original post...
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?msg=277464
I recall reading this in EGM back in the day. Pity I can't find the article, but it was one of those Q-man things that I never took seriously until now. :)

kosko99

Damn this is quite a cool option.

NightWolve

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 02/01/2016, 12:06 PMThis is very cool!  Never knew about the TurboCD ability to play music WHILE playing HuCards!
Yeah, same here. The Turbo Duo is all I ever bought at the nice $99 price cut towards TTi's demise. While this is a nice idea, I dunno if I would've made much use of it had I the option. Don't think I'd care for the extra work to find the perfect track to go with this or that game. Don't have a history of doing that any other time, only for say a project like the Ys titles on the PC and replacing the cheap PC arrangements with the PCE/Turbo versions to play the game in the best possible way!

esteban

Quote from: NightWolve on 07/05/2016, 02:32 AM
Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 02/01/2016, 12:06 PMThis is very cool!  Never knew about the TurboCD ability to play music WHILE playing HuCards!
Yeah, same here. The Turbo Duo is all I ever bought at the nice $99 price cut towards TTi's demise. While this is a nice idea, I dunno if I would've made much use of it had I the option. Don't think I'd care for the extra work to find the perfect track to go with this or that game. Don't have a history of doing that any other time, only for say a project like the Ys titles on the PC and replacing the cheap PC arrangements with the PCE/Turbo versions to play the game in the best possible way!
I think he was simply playing an entire album at a time—that's what I did with lots of consoles/games that got heavy usage (Mario Kart @SNES, Baseball Stars @NES, etc. )

Any game that offered SFX-only (like say, Davis Cup Tennis) would result in a "nicer" experience because there was no in-game music to conflict with the "new music"...

Folks must have been doing this for ages...I was listening to my Walkman whilst playing most PC games (this was before Soundblaster existed). And even during the era of soundcards.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG