@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Bonk's Return

Started by dallaspattern, 02/11/2016, 11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dallaspattern

Anyone ever played this? I guess it was a mobile game, never figured out how to get it. Maybe it wasn't available in Canada?

RIP B.BOE

esteban

IMG

IMG

I am at the last level, where I've been stuck for years.

The horrible buttons/controls on my phone made some of the trickier platforming more frustrating than the game actually is.

I think the game was OK...but the level design/platforming was seriously compromised by the screen size/ratio and horrible hardware buttons on mobile phone.

I actually thought the aesthetic was interesting (classic bonk sprites juxtaposed with photo-realistic backgrounds/platforms). Granted, this Plan doesn't sound good on paper but the contrasting elements work nicely.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Esty, did your version of the game have music?  If I'm recalling right, mine didn't.  I do recall beating the game, but I can't remember anything specific other then some kind of cinema at the end.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/12/2016, 02:46 AMEsty, did your version of the game have music?  If I'm recalling right, mine didn't.  I do recall beating the game, but I can't remember anything specific other then some kind of cinema at the end.
It had a decent tune on the title/menu screen, but the game itself did not have music. Just sound effects.

I still have this phone in a drawer somewhere, so I'll have to find my charger and see if I can play the damn thing.

:)

dallaspattern

Tight! How did you get it? It's not something that's still available is it?

jlued686

There's a whole thread about it here:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=2003.0

Funny to read my impressions of it from a decade ago. But yeah, it pretty much sucked.

NecroPhile

You found a rom and emulator to play it on?  I must googlerins fro comptints!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

csgx1

I had this on one of my old phones along with Splatterhouse and Military Madness Java games.  I remember the controls were terrible and practically unplayable due to my crappy phone being the old single touch screen with on-screen buttons.  I couldn't even pass the first level because of the controls.

I'm curious now, so I'll have to find my old phone to play it again.

esteban

Quote from: csgx1 on 02/12/2016, 06:12 PMI had this on one of my old phones along with Splatterhouse and Military Madness Java games.  I remember the controls were terrible and practically unplayable due to my crappy phone being the old single touch screen with on-screen buttons.  I couldn't even pass the first level because of the controls.

I'm curious now, so I'll have to find my old phone to play it again.
I had the Military Madness on the same phone pictured above, too. It was an ancient Motorola. 2005?

dallaspattern

Fuck, if I had any skills I would make a new Bonk. Or at least try to finish the RPG one. Somewhere in a landfill, there sits a file...

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guest on 02/12/2016, 09:33 AMThere's a whole thread about it here:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=2003.0

Funny to read my impressions of it from a decade ago. But yeah, it pretty much sucked.
Ok, looking at my comment in that thread, it seems that the BG's weren't in my version.  My memory is super foggy, I wonder if I have that phone somewhere...

Sounds like there WAS music ingame, kinda fancy sounding for an old cell phone, did phones do WAV's or MP3's back then?
IMG

cr8zykuban0

that's awesome! never knew there were a mobile bonks game. that would be cool if this became a turbo/pce homebrew

dallaspattern

NecroPhile

My googlefu has failed me, but thankfully I still have my 3.5 Turbob Bonks to play.

ParanoiaDragon

From my shattered memory, there really wouldn't be much of a game to port.  This game was super simple IIRC, we'd be better off with something new rather then a port of this IMO.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/16/2016, 02:24 AMFrom my shattered memory, there really wouldn't be much of a game to port.  This game was super simple IIRC, we'd be better off with something new rather then a port of this IMO.
Agreed.

csgx1

Found my old phone that has Bonk's Return on it.  The piece of crap touch screen somehow broke and I can't unlock the phone.  Not sure how it broke since it's been sitting in a drawer for years.  Oh well, there's better Bonk games to play anyways.

esteban

Quote from: csgx1 on 02/16/2016, 07:43 PMFound my old phone that has Bonk's Return on it.  The piece of crap touch screen somehow broke and I can't unlock the phone.  Not sure how it broke since it's been sitting in a drawer for years.  Oh well, there's better Bonk games to play anyways.
I have been thinking of a way to provide a "Virtual Bonk's Return"  experience.

Folks will video conference (Skype) their commands to me, which I will manually press on my phone.

This way, anyone and everyone can play this game.

There will be a bit of lag, but that's to be expected with online games.

dallaspattern

Sick bud, sign me up

NecroPhile

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/16/2016, 02:24 AMFrom my shattered memory, there really wouldn't be much of a game to port.  This game was super simple IIRC, we'd be better off with something new rather then a port of this IMO.
I don't want a port, I just wanna play ze rom.