Has anyone ever looked into Super Darius?

Started by CrackTiger, 03/11/2016, 02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrackTiger

Super Darius contains a Darius Alpha mode, among other cheats/tricks.

It makes sense that it would include the code for SuperGrafx support, since it would require work to take it out of Darius Plus. Maybe they just didn't put the extra time into setting each stage/boss load to check for SuperGrafx hardware?

Even if it could only be unlocked with a hack, it would be cool if the SuperGrafx support is still in there and it could be turned into the only SuperGrafx CD game.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

I never thought of that...

Reasons it might not work:

It may have been taken out to conserve RAM...but it doesn't seem like that would be a huge savings.

They ported these games so many times that building another one from the ground up using only the graphical assets from the earlier version wouldn't be a huge deal.
IMG

ccovell

Some of you may have already seen this, but this is the extent of the Darius Plus mode:
IMG

dshadoff

So the maximal benefit is a reduction in flickering during a moment when 17 sprites (including horizontal bullets) would appear on a scanline...

I guess that's better than nothing, but it's hardly "supporting" the SGX hardware.

CrackTiger

QuoteIt may have been taken out to conserve RAM...but it doesn't seem like that would be a huge saving
s.

Because the boss fights load, I don't think that space was even close to being an issue and NEC Ave's ports of this game are high quality for the time.

Quote from: dshadoff on 03/11/2016, 11:10 PMSo the maximal benefit is a reduction in flickering during a moment when 17 sprites (including horizontal bullets) would appear on a scanline...

I guess that's better than nothing, but it's hardly "supporting" the SGX hardware.
Since the flicker was the only imperfection left in the port, it's all that was needed. It's not like the existing dedicated SuperGrafx games ran in 512 x 240 or anything.

It's one thing that Daimakaimura doesn't use the arcade resolution, to keep rom size down, and the color is poor by PC Engine standards... but it actually has flicker/drop out in places that the PC Engine shouldn't. That's a bad example of making use of the hardware.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: dshadoff on 03/11/2016, 11:10 PMSo the maximal benefit is a reduction in flickering during a moment when 17 sprites (including horizontal bullets) would appear on a scanline...
It probably works for Predacons, too.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Phase

ParanoiaDragon

IMG

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Dicer