Do you like the 32X?

Started by crazydean, 03/16/2016, 07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignOfZeta

Quote from: crazydean on 03/29/2016, 09:06 PMI don't have room for hundreds of games. That's why I have everdrives. You should be thanking me for being uninterested in the real carts. It means more availability for those who actually care.
I do thank you. Serious. I have a flash cart or two for sure but I honestly hate using the fucking things. Real carts only have cleanliness issues. Flash carts...oh the hours I've spent swearing a blue streak at some POS flash cart that I forgot how to use in the previous year or ones that just fell the fuck apart or had their batteries die in a year. I play real carts almost exclusively and it's out of pure laziness. It's the same reason I usually pay for movies, books, music, etc. The experience of pirating shit is just to compromised for me.
IMG

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 03/29/2016, 08:50 PMSo does that mean that the only difference between a loose cartridge and emulation is a sticker?
You used the word only, but notice I said no such thing. Also, you must have forgotten where I mentioned manuals and menus, not stickers.

I didn't say there were *no* differences, but if you're going to drop any pretense at verisimilitude, why not just go all the way? I could just get a Retron 5 if I wanted to deal with lists of ROMs.

Also, I don't begrudge anyone who takes any of these routes. If you like the 32X, more power to you! If you emulate or use Everdrives, that's your prerogative. But I guess that bothers you and NecroPhile so much that you feel the need to snarl at others for whatever reason.

BigusSchmuck

I can't say I really like nor dislike the 32x. I just haven't found a compelling reason to buy one. Unless of course, someone translates the Romance of the Three Kingdoms game for it. :P All honestly though, I could play that game on the Snes or any other consoles for that matter. If only T-Mek was a halfway decent port...

crazydean

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 03/29/2016, 09:32 PMI can't say I really like nor dislike the 32x. I just haven't found a compelling reason to buy one. Unless of course, someone translates the Romance of the Three Kingdoms game for it. :P All honestly though, I could play that game on the Snes or any other consoles for that matter. If only T-Mek was a halfway decent port...
I never planned on buying one, but sometimes you can't pass up a deal.  :dance:

CGQuarterly

Quote from: guest on 03/29/2016, 09:16 PMBut I guess that bothers you and NecroPhile so much that you feel the need to snarl at others for whatever reason.
I'm not snarling at anyone.  You mentioned having a game manual, so I was just asking about loose carts since, much like the Everdrive, they lack a manual.  I think it's a pretty big leap when someone says something about using an Everdrive to respond with "At that point, you might as well just emulate".  The only differences between an Everdrive MD and a loose Genesis cart is that the cart has the original sticker on it and the Everdrive has a menu.

WoodyXP

Quote from: crazydean on 03/16/2016, 07:08 PMSo, I was never interested in the Sega 32X, but one popped up here relatively cheap. Is it worth buying? I don't like sports games or fighting games. I don't want to buy this just to take up space in my game room.
BLUF:  If you want the best port of Virtua Racing, get the 32x.

VR justifies my ownership of the 'Shroom.  I have a pile of other games, but I don't play them because:

A: They're shit
B: Have superior ports on other systems.

The only games I don't have are those expensive ones that I can't justify buying.  $350 for Spiderman?  Bwahahah.  Definitely emulate before you take the plunge.
"I bathe in AES carts."

CrackTiger

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/29/2016, 09:12 PM
Quote from: crazydean on 03/29/2016, 09:06 PMI don't have room for hundreds of games. That's why I have everdrives. You should be thanking me for being uninterested in the real carts. It means more availability for those who actually care.
I do thank you. Serious. I have a flash cart or two for sure but I honestly hate using the fucking things. Real carts only have cleanliness issues. Flash carts...oh the hours I've spent swearing a blue streak at some POS flash cart that I forgot how to use in the previous year or ones that just fell the fuck apart or had their batteries die in a year. I play real carts almost exclusively and it's out of pure laziness. It's the same reason I usually pay for movies, books, music, etc. The experience of pirating shit is just to compromised for me.
Flashcarts have come a very long way and it is by far the laziest route now. SD card compatibility alone was a major breakthrough and saves are automatically backed up on the sd card.

I still have hundreds of physical games, but I'd have about 100 less Intellivision games if there was a flashcart available. Just the same, if MVS multicarts worked perfectly and contained every game, I'd likely only have bought 1/4 of the games I own.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

Don't bring logic into it, Jibba.  You'll just confuse o.pwuaioc.

Quote from: CrackTiger on 03/29/2016, 10:42 PMFlashcarts have come a very long way and it is by far the laziest route now. SD card compatibility alone was a major breakthrough and saves are automatically backed up on the sd card.
Agreed.  Other than clearance issues between the sd card and power switch on the RX and buttons I and II being 'backwards' in the menu (both very minor issues), the TED is dead easy to use.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

TDIRunner

Quote from: guest on 03/30/2016, 09:28 AMDon't bring logic into it, Jibba.  You'll just confuse o.pwuaioc.

Quote from: guest on 03/29/2016, 10:42 PMFlashcarts have come a very long way and it is by far the laziest route now. SD card compatibility alone was a major breakthrough and saves are automatically backed up on the sd card.
Agreed.  Other than clearance issues between the sd card and power switch on the RX and buttons I and II being 'backwards' in the menu (both very minor issues), the TED is dead easy to use.
I didn't know there were issues with clearance on the RX.  I thought that only applied to the Super Grafx, and then, only if the TED was an earlier model with the optional USB port installed.  My TED doesn't have the USB port option, so it should work in a Super Grafx, not that I'll have the chance to test it any time soon.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 03/29/2016, 10:13 PM
Quote from: guest on 03/29/2016, 09:16 PMBut I guess that bothers you and NecroPhile so much that you feel the need to snarl at others for whatever reason.
I'm not snarling at anyone.  You mentioned having a game manual, so I was just asking about loose carts since, much like the Everdrive, they lack a manual.  I think it's a pretty big leap when someone says something about using an Everdrive to respond with "At that point, you might as well just emulate".  The only differences between an Everdrive MD and a loose Genesis cart is that the cart has the original sticker on it and the Everdrive has a menu.
'Loose' doesn't necessarily imply without a manual. Moreover, the difference between emulation on a TV and an Everdrive is the crispness of the screen. You can even get adapters for controllers. There is no cart art, no curated selection, no looking at the shelf to decide which game to play. It's fake, feels fake, and is unsatisfying.

I also like the smell of pages when I read a book, liner notes or neat artwork, the ability to actually see the texture on a painting rather than just look at pictures online. With Everdrive menus, I'm staring at a print, a knock-off even. It doesn't have to be 100% authentic, but there should be some life to it.

Quote from: NecroPhile on 03/30/2016, 09:28 AMDon't bring logic into it, Jibba.  You'll just confuse o.pwuaioc.
"Rawr!" says NecroPhile, showing his e-peen to world.

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 03/30/2016, 10:24 AM'Loose' doesn't necessarily imply without a manual.
You're grasping at straws.  Loose means loose; if it comes with something else, it's described as 'loose with manual/slipcover/whatever'.

Quote from: guest on 03/30/2016, 10:24 AMThere is no cart art, no curated selection, no looking at the shelf to decide which game to play. It's fake, feels fake, and is unsatisfying.

I also like the smell of pages when I read a book, liner notes or neat artwork, the ability to actually see the texture on a painting rather than just look at pictures online. With Everdrive menus, I'm staring at a print, a knock-off even. It doesn't have to be 100% authentic, but there should be some life to it.
I see where you're coming from, I guess, but some crazy people value actual game play over looking at paper, and game play is where emulation is far removed from a flashcart.  With emulation inaccuracies, controller lag, being harder to use, and few having a computer in the living room, it's not even remotely analogous.

Quote from: guest on 03/30/2016, 10:24 AM"Rawr!" says NecroPhile, showing his e-peen to world.
Yeah, I'm really swinging for the fences.  :roll:

I can't help it that your argument makes little sense, nor can I help it that you attacked Jibba because he dared to disagree with you.

CrackTiger

If you're playing a game off of a flashcart, the experience is literally identical to playing original carts. If the console is kept behind a curtain and you are given a variety of games to play and they're been swapped in and out by someone behind that curtain, you will not be able to say which gamrs are running off of flashcarts and which are orginal carts. Because it is exactly the same. It's not that flashcarts are so close that it's hard to tell, it's literally loading a rom on the hardware either way.

Emulation is literally different in every way. It doesn't matter if you're opening up a game box containing a manual, pulling out an original cart of a very collectible rare game and plugging it into an emulation based console... or if you're just loading roms in an emulator within a computer. As long as the hardware is being emulated, the graphics sound and gameplay are all different.

If anyone wants to only play original carts on real hardware or is others only play games through emulation, it doesn't change the fact that loading a rom on real hardware is the same, regardless of the type of cart and emulation is very different.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: NecroPhile on 03/30/2016, 11:22 AMYou're grasping at straws.  Loose means loose; if it comes with something else, it's described as 'loose with manual/slipcover/whatever'.
Yeah, but saying "loose cart" can easily imply with a manual, but no cart. I wrongly assumed Jibba overlooked where I mentioned manuals, though he still neglected to address the menus. Even as you noted, it's "loose with manual." You cannot, however, say "loose with box."

QuoteI see where you're coming from, I guess, but some crazy people value actual game play over looking at paper, and game play is where emulation is far removed from a flashcart.  With emulation inaccuracies, controller lag, being harder to use, and few having a computer in the living room, it's not even remotely analogous.
I haven't emulated in a long time, but when I was, I saw zero lag with the controllers and very few inaccuracies (certainly nothing to justify Black Tiger's gross exaggerations). I found it very easy to use, even better since I could use save states to practice stages. One could also emulate via the Wii or Xbox on a CRT, so there's no need to have a computer in the living room. And for pre-N64 stuff, nothing ever seemed amiss.

Also, the gameplay doesn't change. Maybe the graphics and sound have changed, but only as much as upgrading from RF input to component. Black Tiger's trifecta of "graphics sound [sic] and gameplay" all being different borders on the absurd, especially, as I noted, when you are able to use original controllers.

QuoteI can't help it that your argument makes little sense, nor can I help it that you attacked Jibba because he dared to disagree with you.
He didn't disagree with me (at least not outright). He asked me a question, and because of how brief it was, it felt more like a smug jibe, like it was a rhetorical question. He's clarified and expanded upon it and therefore so have I.

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 03/30/2016, 12:24 PMYeah, but saying "loose cart" can easily imply with a manual, but no cart.
You must be joking.

The rest of your argument isn't worth belaboring.  It's a fact that no emulator is 100% accurate or as easy to use as a real system (especially not when you have to usb mod your controllers), but you've already decided that none of that matters.

Quote from: guest on 03/30/2016, 12:24 PMHe didn't disagree with me (at least not outright). He asked me a question, and because of how brief it was, it felt more like a smug jibe, like it was a rhetorical question. He's clarified and expanded upon it and therefore so have I.
So a mis-perceived 'smug jibe' equals 'snarling at everyone' in o.pwuaioc land?  My, you're sensitive.

SignOfZeta

The only flash cart I have for PCE is the low cost one that can only hold one game (or a front end and some tiny home brews I guess). I after testing a few games I put Toungeman's logic on it and it's been like that for almost two years. I beat every level. I love that game.

Does that invalidate your dumb argument?

Sometimes I think maybe you've never used an emulator? I say this because I have and I have a lot of carts and when I go to emulate stuff, usually MAME, the experience is hugely dissimilar to the real thing, even though the emulation itself is borderline perfect. 

Different controller, no video noise, sound is always too clean, load times change, its night and day.

Whereas a flash card is the same code running on the same chips, same controller, same machine I just pulled a legit cart out of. It's the same. Nobody can tell the difference, especially in the case of single game flash cards with no save state function or hack features.

This argument is really dumb. You don't have a leg to stand on.
IMG

seieienbu

A flashcart includes some of the nice things about emulation like the ability to not pay an arm and a leg for rare/expensive games, the ability to try before you buy, etc but all on original hardware the same way you played as a kid, or not making you worry about cleaning games.  I honestly prefer to have the real game in front of me than a flash cart for stupid reasons but playing on a flashcart at least is a very reliable experience that lets me play a game the same way I would have when I was 10.

Emulating on my laptop or a retron or whatever is never quite the way I remember stuff; there's always at least to some extent vertical tearing and sound never quite sounds correct.  This is most easily noticeable while playing a technical game like, say, Street Fighter 3 or something always feels at least a little bit wrong to how I'd rather play it on a console.

If the only argument you have against a system is that it takes up space then a flashcart truly does seem the best thing to have lying around.  The 32X itself takes up little room and has several unique games that are well worth owning (in particular when you consider the low price point of the platform in modern times).

Quote from: TDIRunner on 03/29/2016, 02:36 PM
QuoteFocus on 3D. Shoehorning it into whatever it is you had already designed, and 11th hour compensation affected by what your opposition is doing, ain't gonna cut it.
Unfortunately, that's what they did with the Saturn too.  It was a 2D powerhouse with 3D added at the last second.  And because Sega didn't think that Americans wanted 2D games, they left most of the good ones over in Japan.  To me, those issues were more damaging than anything caused by the 32x. 
Perhaps that would have worked better but I'm absolutely unconvinced.  I'm honestly of the opinion that the 32 bit generation has the highest ratio of bad to good games of any generation post atari.  The problem with that console generation in a nutshell is that the hardware wasn't good enough for good looking 3d games; at the same 3d is the next big thing and nobody is focusing on 2d anymore. 
You have a lot of growing pains as developers attempt to understand how to work with 3d cameras so you have a bunch of absolute garbage games that are way worse than the previous generations worst offerings. 

I think of the N64 library in particular here; there are next to no games on the system that I like whatsoever.  Around 200 different 3d platformers where you're wandering around in fog with graphics that don't really make sense to me because there sure weren't enough polygons for anyone to work with back then.  You often have very few objects on screen of interest and slow paced action.  And then I often hear that the N64 graphics hardware was originally going to be in the Saturn.  It seems to me that if the Saturn had the same graphical hardware as the N64 you wouldn't have had all the entertaining Saturn games that I liked but instead would be saddled with the N64's garbageware.

If the Saturn was more of a 3d powerhouse (and $100 cheaper, and no bad will towards Sega from previous dropped add-ons, and didn't have a surprise release with next to no games for almost a year) then you would likely have ended up with fewer games that I can look back on fondly and remember playing.  Instead of finally having accurate arcade ports of CPS2 and Neo Geo fighting games that were excellent ports.  Compare the PS1 versions from the same era and they seem to be a bunch of nigh-unplayable mistakes.  With the Saturn the way it was you had the scads of shooting games or neat games like Guardian Heroes, or Clockwork Knight.  I loved the game Dragon Force; it used the limited capability for 3d along with it's excellent 2d processing power to make a game unlike any other that clearly couldn't have been done on any platform other than the Saturn at the time. 

Perhaps I'm alone here but I liked the Saturn a lot for what it was and only wish others hadn't been taken in as much by early 3d graphics and that Sega of America had taken more chances and released more of the 2d games that were released in Japan.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

You are crazy, Dean.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SignOfZeta

Whoever said the N64 hardware was designed for Saturn...that sounds completely nuts to me considering the timing just not matching up at all, and there being no corporate or personal overlap that I know of, etc. Weirder shit has taken place though so what do I know?
IMG

TDIRunner

QuoteI'm honestly of the opinion that the 32 bit generation has the highest ratio of bad to good games of any generation post atari.
I don't know if I completely agree with that.  When you look at the libraries of the Wii or DS and you consider the amount of shovelware on those systems, I think it's safe to say that they have the highest ratio of bad to good games.  Because the N64 library is so small, it actually has a pretty good ratio of bad to good.  Sure there is a lot of crap, but overall the shovelware was pretty limited because very few third party companies would develop for it (and this is coming from a guy who was not into the N64 during its lifecycle). 

I would be more willing to argue that the 32 bit generation has the highest amount of games that haven't aged well.  3D games were all the rage, but the technology just wasn't there yet.  However, at the time, we didn't care so much for how it looked.  We were too amazed at the new 3D open worlds.  Now you pop in those games and they just look like crap.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

o.pwuaioc

You're right. Who the fuck cares. Go buy your Everdrives all you want. Clearly it's a sin to compare that fake shit to emulation.

CGQuarterly

I don't think anyone is saying it's a sin.  It's just not a good comparison. 

You seem to be the only person upset, here.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 03/30/2016, 06:25 PMI don't think anyone is saying it's a sin.  It's just not a good comparison. 

You seem to be the only person upset, here.
Nah, I just don't have the energy or will to continue.

VenomMacbeth

The 32x is so bad it's ruining this thread.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Psycho Punch

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 03/30/2016, 07:04 PMThe 32x is so bad it's ruining this thread.
It can't be any worse than the JAGUAR

*runs*
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

BigusSchmuck

It was so bad Al Nielsen quit Sega. Well maybe not the only reason he left, but when I met him at the PRGE 2014 he said no over and over again when that project showed up on the table!

GaijinD

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/30/2016, 04:25 PMWhoever said the N64 hardware was designed for Saturn...that sounds completely nuts to me considering the timing just not matching up at all, and there being no corporate or personal overlap that I know of, etc. Weirder shit has taken place though so what do I know?
Apparently SGI contacted Sega of America, according to this interview with Tom Kalinske at Sega-16: http://www.sega-16.com/2006/07/interview-tom-kalinske/

It seems SoJ sent out a team to check out their chipset, but ended up rejecting it.
Feel like a treasure game on a rainy day.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: GaijinD on 03/30/2016, 10:18 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/30/2016, 04:25 PMWhoever said the N64 hardware was designed for Saturn...that sounds completely nuts to me considering the timing just not matching up at all, and there being no corporate or personal overlap that I know of, etc. Weirder shit has taken place though so what do I know?
Apparently SGI contacted Sega of America, according to this interview with Tom Kalinske at Sega-16: http://www.sega-16.com/2006/07/interview-tom-kalinske/

It seems SoJ sent out a team to check out their chipset, but ended up rejecting it.
Yeah...OK. I think the only factoid we can trust there is that SGI and Sega actually talked. The rest of the story is extremely similar the sorts of stories that guys tell after they leave a company that didn't "get them". There is one where the inventor of the iPod first showed the thing to IBM and they didn't want it, it's a staple story for those guys. I don't even know if that one is true, I just know I heard it from an IBM employee.

Timing wise though, it just makes no sense. The story seems to take place before the launch of the 32X, which was almost three years before the N64, that's half a generation. He says, "and that chipset became part of the next generation of Nintendo products (N64).". Well, fuck, no wonder the N64 sucked so bad. I'd ran on shit from 1993!

The SoJ guys were obviously %100 correct in this case. The frame rate did suck and the sound...there is no sound chip in an N64 and the Saturn is like a state of the art synthesizer so they were sure as shit right about that.

EDIT: for God's sake there were/are some seriously confusing typos there.
IMG

DeshDildo

SEGA also had a crack at pairing up with Sony for the 32-bit generation.  If ya'll haven't read Console Wars please do.  You can thank SoJ for screwing alot of things up.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

CrackTiger

Midway talked to NEC Tech or TTi, depending on which version of the story you hear, and were supposedly eager to give exclusive console rights to Mortal Kombat to them. Most reports of this story either give the reason matter of factly or claim Midway mistakenly believed, that the Turbo CD was the best format for a home port, when in reality it was the very worst. The existence of Mortal Kombat for Sega-CD should be all anyone needs to figure out how terrible of an idea it would have been to try cramming the same game into 12 times less space.

I think that in reality, all that ever happened is that someone who was allowed into E3 because they worked at NEC Tech, managed to stalk down an employee at Midway and talked at them. Then years later, they bragged about how they secured exclusive rights to such a hot property and the only reason that they didn't single handedly win the console war that NEC Tech wasn't even a part of, is because mean old Hudson Soft of Japan lacked their amazing vision.

No doubt SGI and Sony people talked to Sega at least once, just as most other companies doing similar business did. But that's not much more of an "almost happened" than making up a 100% fictional "what if?" scenario.

The worst part of these myths that are based on so little, is that every time they're retold, they transform further. Not long ago on another forum, someone talked about how Hudson Soft offered Nintendo their 16-bit console hardware in 1988, but Nintendo turned them down since the Super Famicom was well under way, so Hudson later partnered with NEC and eventually the PC Engine was born.

That Console Wars book shouldn't be taken as a historical record, as it's based around the skewed revisionism of one person who was on one side of the console war. Some Sega fans argue that it evens the playing field, since too much revisionism had already come from people who worked for competing companies. But it doesn't matter which way people are biased, it only blurs the overall picture more and you need a good amount of common sense to wade through all the b.s. to feel out how much might be true.

The only consistency I've noticed from interviews of people who worked in the game industry bitd, is that they all are certain that they did nothing wrong and did everything right. That and everyone has such a hazy memory that they get so many basic facts wrong because they couldn't be bothered to even skim wikipedia before winging their interviews.

Gredler

I'd like to see what a homebrew crew can do with the 32x :-"  Some fun stuff probably

esadajr

Quote from: guest on 03/30/2016, 07:33 PM
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 03/30/2016, 07:04 PMThe 32x is so bad it's ruining this thread.
It can't be any worse than the JAGUAR

*runs*
Jag-U-are
Gaming since 1985

CrackTiger

Quote from: Gredler on 03/31/2016, 02:08 PMI'd like to see what a homebrew crew can do with the 32x :-"  Some fun stuff probably
Have you seen Wolfenstein 3D or the Yeti 3D engine?

SignOfZeta

Thank you CrackTiger, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

The killer must-read book I read was Game Over! by David Shef. It's mainly just about Nintendo and the 1980s, but one thing I liked about it was the way it questions the 80s video game crash.

Basically, the "crash" was mainly just Atari going the fuck out of business for being idiots. There was never any real dip in interest in video games, just in 2600 crap. Nintendo knew this because they were raking in money from the arcades which were still a multi-billion dollar industry in the US alone. The reason why the NES is so much different from a FC, the reason why "video game" isn't used in the name, why it loads like a VCR, etc was because even though what they were selling was just a 2600 that didn't suck ass, they had to position it as a completely different product in order to get it into stores (also, as something other than a toy to avoid getting borked by buy-backs). The outrageous success of the NES proved them right, I would say. The most successful game machine of all time was launched in the middle of a "crash" but it didn't matter because the crash was just a sour grapes outlook from people who fucked up.

Of course, since the book was hugely Nintendo-centric it leaves out all sorts of stuff.
IMG

Gentlegamer

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/31/2016, 07:19 PMThank you Tiger, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

The killer must-read book I read was Game Over! by David Shef. It's mainly just about Nintendo and the 1980s, but one thing I liked about it was the way it questions the 80s video game crash.

Basically, the "crash" was mainly just Atari going the fuck out of business for being idiots. There was never any real dip in interest in video games, just in 2600 crap. Nintendo knew this because they were raking in money from the arcades which were still a multi-billion dollar industry in the US alone. The reason why the NES is so much different from a FC, the reason why "video game" isn't used in the name, why it loads like a VCR, etc was because even though what they were selling was just a 2600 that didn't suck ass, they had to position it as a completely different product in order to get it into stores (also, as something other than a toy to avoid getting borked by buy-backs). The outrageous success of the NES proved them right, I would say. The most successful game machine of all time was launched in the middle of a "crash" but it didn't matter because the crash was just a sour grapes outlook from people who fucked up.

Of course, since the book was hugely Nintendo-centric it leaves out all sorts of stuff.
There was definitely a crash in interest in video games, they became retail poison. Game Over describes all the crap Nintendo had to overcome to bring the NES to market and make it successful in the smoking crater the crash had left in USA.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

Gredler

Quote from: guest on 03/31/2016, 06:41 PM
Quote from: Gredler on 03/31/2016, 02:08 PMI'd like to see what a homebrew crew can do with the 32x :-"  Some fun stuff probably
Yeah I have, thanks for sharing the clear videos :) Tech demos are rad, but I'd love to see a full game design. A RPG done in those engines would be rad, or a higher fidelity 2D game that the system demonstrated it has the capability of doing would be rad.

I need to find a Sega community that is in line with this PCE equivalent: is sega 16 the place to go, or sega ages? I not internet culture/community savvy :P

CrackTiger

Quote from: Gredler on 03/31/2016, 07:33 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 03/31/2016, 06:41 PM

https://youtu.be/sEf9SuRuRZM

https://youtu.be/ctDCOrE67Ss
Yeah I have, thanks for sharing the clear videos :) Tech demos are rad, but I'd love to see a full game design. A RPG done in those engines would be rad, or a higher fidelity 2D game that the system demonstrated it has the capability of doing would be rad.

I need to find a Sega community that is in line with this PCE equivalent: is sega 16 the place to go, or sega ages? I not internet culture/community savvy :P
Sega-16 is the exactly the SMS - 32X equivalent of pcenginefx.

Wolfenstein 3D is the full game and the author has been working on a high quality Doom port.

Gentlegamer

Quote from: guest on 03/31/2016, 07:45 PM
Quote from: guest on 03/31/2016, 06:41 PM

Except way more autistic.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

DeshDildo

BT.  Your remarks on Console Wars is great.  Even the prologue to the book mentions that the writer may have even dramatized many events etc. so you have to take what's in it with a grain of salt. 

The main take away I got from it though is SoA was able to get the Genesis very competive in NA and SoJ was getting their butts kicked at home.  Even though SoA seemed to be doing everything right all of the decisions came from SoJ on hardware and games and SoA was stuck trying to figure out how to sell shit like the 32X.  It's obvious SoJ was narrow minded and full of themselves.  Why else would Sonic team move over here?  It seems SoJ liked to micromanage and make poor decisions.  Not saying SoA was perfect or deserves all the glory but it's hard to argue with the sales numbers in NA.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

xcrement5x

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 03/31/2016, 08:11 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 03/31/2016, 07:45 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 03/31/2016, 06:41 PM

https://youtu.be/sEf9SuRuRZM

https://youtu.be/ctDCOrE67Ss

Except way more autistic.
Sega16 has mixed highs and lows.  There are some very informative and interesting discussions that go on occasionally, but a lot of the mass of the forum seems to have left and it's not as vibrant as it was just a couple years ago.  What's left can still be good, bu there are plenty of weirdos and it's like the only place Master Tasuke hasn't been banned from yet. 

I still try and hit the site at least a couple times a week, but there is not as much interaction going on unfortunately.  It's a shame because there is a ton of good info on the site in the form of review and smart hardware hackers, programmers.  I feel like a lot stuff has moved to farkbook :(
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

crazydean

So I finally got a proper cable and the 32X is working, horay! Unfortunately, I am having problems with the Everdrive reading the SD card, so it may be a while before I get a chance to play most of the games. I did manage to play a couple space games and Doom, though. Sega made first-person space shooters for this like they did FMV games for the Sega CD.

EDIT: It turns out that it wasn't an Everdrive problem. The white ribbon cables inside the 32X needed to be re-seated. The Everdrive is much more finicky than regular cartridges which is why it was difficult to pinpoint.

CrackTiger

Depending on your Everdrive revision, there may be a card size limit. You also have to drag and drop a folder of drivers onto the sd card. It can be downloaded on the Everdrive model's retrogate page.

Then you can put the roms anywhere else in the card and use multiple folders of sorted roms if you like.