@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Dragon Warrior for PCE

Started by TurboXray, 05/15/2016, 05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CGQuarterly

That looks awesome, CrackTiger.

Dicer

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ParanoiaDragon

IMG

TurboXray

I couldn't find the old WIP you did CrackTiger.

That titlescreen image going to take me a bit. I've already run it through some preprocessing and it's a complex image to sort out without artifacts. Definitely going to need to use a sprite layer to make it appear lossless.

ccovell

IMG IMG

I would take out the extravagance of the purple backdrop and make it a coppershade palette effect, put the hero (or dragon) and logo onscreen as sprites, and Roberta's your post-op aunt!

shubibiman

Nice looking stuff here, dudes !
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

spenoza

If the dragon and warrior are both sprites, you could scroll them in from opposite directions. Have them flash when they meet each other and the title appears in that flash.

elmer

Quote from: ccovell on 05/22/2016, 04:58 AMI would take out the extravagance of the purple backdrop and make it a coppershade palette effect, put the hero (or dragon) and logo onscreen as sprites, and Roberta's your post-op aunt!
Now that's clever thinking!  :wink:

TheClash603

Quote from: elmer on 05/22/2016, 01:36 PM
Quote from: ccovell on 05/22/2016, 04:58 AMI would take out the extravagance of the purple backdrop and make it a coppershade palette effect, put the hero (or dragon) and logo onscreen as sprites, and Roberta's your post-op aunt!
Now that's clever thinking!  :wink:
Everyone is so afraid of color nowadays, keep that purple and display it with pride!

TurboXray

Quote from: ccovell on 05/22/2016, 04:58 AMIMG IMG

I would take out the extravagance of the purple backdrop and make it a coppershade palette effect, put the hero (or dragon) and logo onscreen as sprites, and Roberta's your post-op aunt!
Hah! That's the first thing I thought too.

The image is complex though. Even as simplified, I couldn't do a lossless conversion/palette reduction.

pcedev .net/DW_PCE/new_ts_1f_show.png

(Top image is the conversion; has artifacts)
I'll have to do some sprite touch areas.

Though the Dragon and Erdrick are going to be on the BG layer, since they need finer palette associate per area (8x8). The sprites will provide the backdrop, purple copper effect, and the logo. And of course some sprites for a few touch up areas.

elmer

Quote from: TurboXray on 05/22/2016, 03:43 PMThe image is complex though. Even as simplified, I couldn't do a lossless conversion/palette reduction.
I assume that you tried the palette reduction on all 64 combinations of BG-scroll to see if it would make a difference?

It's definitely an image where it would have been nice to have received it as layers for processing.

TurboXray

It would take too much time to do that for the setup I'm using. I'm using Pro Motion NG to do the color reduction and using my own app to take that after image and sort the palettes. Doing that 64 times would be a pain. I don't think I can create a script that can do that, either.

mrhaboobi

Dragon warrior !!! AWESOME.. im such a die hard fan.  if you need help with sprites etc.. try the dragon den.. plenty of die hard Fans

http://www.woodus.com/den/home.php

absolutely want this when it comes.. amazing :)
Looking for (MINT ONLY)
US Manual : Magical Chase, Shockman 
US Box : Turrican,  Soldier Blade, New Adventure Island, Neutopia II
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

PC Engine Special Cards : Bomberman User Battle

Alydnes Super Grafx

TurboXray

Thanks for link. I'll check it out. I'll be working on DW over the summer, and probably releasing upgrades to it as they become available.

One of the things that I'm thinking of doing, is adding an easy mode. Basically it would cut down on the grinding for XP and Gold... something like 30% more XP/Gold. Not sure on the increase amount. Some have expressed interest in single button actions, so I'll look into it. CD Red book audio is high on the list. Some other stuff as it comes around.

Anyway, because I have two classes this summer, upgrades will be slow. I'm gonna try to get the initial beta out for people to test this week (crosses fingers).

mrhaboobi

Bonknuts.

What language are you coding in?  are you coding it all from scratch, or using an engine?  keen to know more about this.  wanna be game coder at heart ( mainly played around on yaroze and xna ).  would be awesome for you to have a Making of type series.. :)
Looking for (MINT ONLY)
US Manual : Magical Chase, Shockman 
US Box : Turrican,  Soldier Blade, New Adventure Island, Neutopia II
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

PC Engine Special Cards : Bomberman User Battle

Alydnes Super Grafx

TurboXray

It's part hacking and part coding (being the original NES rom running on the system). The coding stuff, and hacking stuff, is done in assembly language.

TurboXray

Quote from: mrhaboobi on 06/13/2016, 04:36 PMBonknuts.

What language are you coding in?  are you coding it all from scratch, or using an engine?  keen to know more about this.  wanna be game coder at heart ( mainly played around on yaroze and xna ).  would be awesome for you to have a Making of type series.. :) 
I do have a set of tutorials for coding the PCE in assembly language, if you're up to the task. I was looking over them the other day and figured I probably should continue writing them.