For those that make music with synthesizers.

Started by SignOfZeta, 05/18/2016, 11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignOfZeta

How's it going, eh?

There was a thread like "show us your synthesizers" or something on another forum and it didn't really go in all that interesting of a direction in my opinion, probably because huge lists of shit are boring.

So I thought I'd start a similar thread here and see how it turns out with a different cast.

So, hi. You make music with synthesizers and samplers and shit.  What's that like?

I'm currently working almost totally modular analog with the only digital device being a Volca Sample. My style is highly variable but always has a bit of DIY genre busting stank on it to make sure it never really fits in a specific type. Currently I'm trying for something like a revival of pure trance. I recently got a TASCAM DPS24SD and it's improved my recording quality a lot while also being way less frustrating than a DAW.

I made this yesterday.
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

I really only use my  Roland Juno-D & my Alesis MMT-8 for my tunes.  I record & tweak them in Sound Forge.  I have a Roland JV-880 & a Peavey SP sampler, but really havn't used them.  All my stuff is old & basic. 

I really haven't had time or energy the last couple months to work on anything.  My current project is still Mega Man, for Bonknuts CD Mega Man project.  I've got quite a lot done, including some extra songs. What I have left is an extra boss song for the Copy Robot battle(maybe, still deciding on this one), a title theme, an alternative Wily Castle 1 theme for the 2nd Wily level(this is the one I'm currently in the middle of), & an alternative Wily Castle 2 theme(for the 4th Wily level).  I do have some tweaks to do on the regular boss theme, & the regular Wily Castle 2 theme.  That's it, but like I said, haven't had the energy to work on anything lately, but I think my energy is gradually coming back.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Funny seeing this thread here.

I just rebuilt my computer with new hardware.   I overlooked the lack of PCI slot.  PCI-E only.  Now my Audiophile 2496 can't be used. 

Angry, I ended up buying a Roland Duo-Capture EX, hoping for the best.   So far, the latency is low, and it doesn't seem to fuck up me recording anything.   This is a good thing.

Anyway,

I use a MIDI controller (hence needing a Roland thingy, instead of just some decent line-in soundcard) to control VSTs of synthesizers that cost 940020902409$ now.

but I also feed an SH-101 and sometimes a Suzuki Omnichord into the mix.  And guitar.

I have some old drum machines.  There's a RX-5, RX-11, and DR-550

The RX-5 and RX-11 have some button issues that I can't seem to fix, and really, the things are sort of a pain in the ass to use anymore.  I just want drum sounds. 

These same samples exist in FruityLoops with VSTs, so I find it easier to just use a piano roll to sequence the same crap out so I can play over all of it.

It's way easier than running the real drum machine into the mixer that goes into the computer... and syncing it up with MIDI on a computer that could ultimately be doing the same exact thing with less wires/bullshit involved. 

I don't even use any other MIDI hardware other than the controller, anyway.

It always cracks me up when those weird audio purists gripe about using VST drum machines, as if one thing playing samples is really any different than their real drum machine also playing samples.

I need to upgrade FruityLoops though.   I'm like 6 years out of date.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

wildfruit

I have listened to a few of your tracks Zeta. So far my favourite track is look mum no computer. Evokes memories of early 90s European games. Very Amiga.

Otaking

Years back I used to have a studio where the gear took up the whole room, mostly the large mixing console but also rackmounted hardware (samplers, compressors, effects etc.) and various synths.
I'm happy that time has passed though and for the last ten years I've gone to just a computer with a midi controller keyboard and good quality monitor speakers.
Soft synths these days are absolutely amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: wildfruit on 05/19/2016, 03:35 AMI have listened to a few of your tracks Zeta. So far my favourite track is look mum no computer. Evokes memories of early 90s European games. Very Amiga.
That's not me! It's a band called Zibra (in this case I'm pretty sure it's just the main guy, Sam) who I've discovered and reposted to my Soundcloud stream. Soundcloud, like every other site now it seams, runs in Autoplay so it eventually starts juat playing whatever.
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 05/19/2016, 02:26 AMFunny seeing this thread here.

I just rebuilt my computer with new hardware.   I overlooked the lack of PCI slot.  PCI-E only.  Now my Audiophile 2496 can't be used. 

Angry, I ended up buying a Roland Duo-Capture EX, hoping for the best.   So far, the latency is low, and it doesn't seem to fuck up me recording anything.   This is a good thing.

Anyway,

I use a MIDI controller (hence needing a Roland thingy, instead of just some decent line-in soundcard) to control VSTs of synthesizers that cost 940020902409$ now.

but I also feed an SH-101 and sometimes a Suzuki Omnichord into the mix.  And guitar.

I have some old drum machines.  There's a RX-5, RX-11, and DR-550

The RX-5 and RX-11 have some button issues that I can't seem to fix, and really, the things are sort of a pain in the ass to use anymore.  I just want drum sounds. 

These same samples exist in FruityLoops with VSTs, so I find it easier to just use a piano roll to sequence the same crap out so I can play over all of it.

It's way easier than running the real drum machine into the mixer that goes into the computer... and syncing it up with MIDI on a computer that could ultimately be doing the same exact thing with less wires/bullshit involved. 

I don't even use any other MIDI hardware other than the controller, anyway.

It always cracks me up when those weird audio purists gripe about using VST drum machines, as if one thing playing samples is really any different than their real drum machine also playing samples.

I need to upgrade FruityLoops though.   I'm like 6 years out of date.
When I was poor I used software exclusively because you can't pirate the physical objects otherwise needed for this kind of music. I started with things like Rebirth, AudioMulch, and eventually really latched onto Reason which I used for years on all sorts of shit. My favorite thing about something like Reason is that you can not only add a massive synth you'd never be able to afford in real life, you can also add 12 of them. Or 24, or however many you need as long as you have CPU for it. It's a lot better than spending $250 on an oscillator. Just an oscillator. 

My problem was that I feel so claustrophobic and pissed off when I use a mouse to make music. It's like being in a recording studio and having only one figure with which to adjust every knob slider and switch. It drives me NUTs so I decided I'd rather blow thousands on less capable stuff since it drives my creativity through the roof. And yes, I have several MIDI controllers with extended functionality, extra knobs and such. That stuff kinda adds to the frustration now though as you are constantly remapping shit and trying to decide which 8 knobs you want mapped since the virtual synth has 36 of them. The price is low and the sound quality high, but you're ALWAYS configuring something and there's always something wrong, something to work around. It saps my energy big time. I can easily make a new track every day as long as I have time to do it with the new stuff.

One of my favorite Japanese artists, Susumu Hirasawa switched entirely to software since he's a motivated by conservation and a huge stack of analog gear draws like...1000 times the current of Apple Logic running some VST. Everyone has their own motivations for working.

In the past few years though I've done the opposite. I've massively updated my junk collection so I'm now at the point where no PC is used except to take the .wav from my SD card and upload it somewhere. I can't even begin to explain how much more I like this than Reason, which I really liked.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

I find myself getting a bit overwhelmed (read: frustrated/annoyed) when there's a bunch of real stuff, mostly because there's fucking cable gremlins that somehow play cats cradle and tangle EVERYTHING.   

It'd be cool if I was rich and famous, and had some goober that did all that for me.   I've got cable ties/velcros, but somehow, shit still goes full-retard in the tangle department.

So then I start getting annoyed that the wires aren't wiring where I want them to go.

This is ultimately why I ditched having MIDI stuff all synced up when trying to record on the computer. 

I may try using the DR-220 though.  I just got it in Japan for the low low price of 200 yen.   

Also, it was always kind of mental trying to sync everything using FruityLoops, since my SH-101 isn't MIDI, so trying to sync that up isn't a thing without blowing $$$$ on mods.    I could just buy a new synth instead.   Roland has some newer synths that are pretty great for not being analog.   The SH-201, and the Gaia come to mind immediately.   

I tend to make mostly 80s dance-jam sounding shit, so the drumming is never particularly complicated.   It's all smoke and mirrors with panned tom rolling ontop of the drum beat those little wind up monkies make....

What I've started doing is even using an SH-101 VST.   I get the real one setup how I want it to sound while noodling around, and then I just adjust the onscreen one to the same stuff, and save it.   Then, I punch in whatever I was arpeggiating or hamfisting.

fortunately, drum machines don't really lose much when you go from a box on table, to a thing on screen.   

but, it is definitely a bit unfulfilling to adjust a Moog with a mouse.   Twisting knobs with a mouse is just lame, so I can definitely see the appeal of using all real stuff.   My problem with that is also that I don't have a ton of room.     If I did, my dumb ass would've bought a Jupiter-8 by now.   Eventually! ;)

The one thing I do prefer with software vs real things, is any FM synth stuff.   Those VSTs are 90000x easier than trying to program an FM instrument on a 16x2 LCD screen.    Those things feel like you're trying to program a TI-83.   The VSTs have much easier setups for those...

After I finish doing some of this MSX game music stuff, I might play around with some Suicide esque "K-I-S-S" stuff.

1 drum machine, repetitive bass with the SH-101, and a guitar on top.

No software other than to record the mixer input.

This reminds me though of how clueless some people are I've seen at the music shops.    There were some college kids that didn't seem to understand that back in the 70s/80s... there were no DAWs.   

There was no software, really (until the mid to late 80s).   

Maybe you'd have some companion program to program a synth (Sequential Circuits had that program for their Six Trak). 

but there wasn't some fancy computer recording software.   It was a bunch of shit plugged in to a bunch of boxes, and then you press the record button and hope it works out.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SignOfZeta

I think the sequencers for the BBC Mircro were probably pretty important, but as for recording...yeah, mid 90s and Pro Tools and all that. Before that it was HD recorders no more advanced that tape.

I actually saw a YouTube video titled "Can you make music without DAW?" which then proceeded to explain that you could. I would hope that one would come to that conclusion based on the fact that The Beatles existed.

Have you seen the Roland JU-06? It's suposed to be pretty good.

I spent some time using Logic and I found intigrating hardware to be very much an afterthought so I went back to recording straight to stereo until I eventually got the Portastudio a month ago or so. If I were to use a DAW now I'd probably use nothing but virtual instruments and bass guitar.

The Portastudio...how I love it. Almost no menues, never map anything, it's incredibly freeing. 24 tracks, 8 inputs, built on dynamic effects, and an 80 page manual. The way things were before touch screens and 64 levels deep menus. The $450 price is honestly kind of amazing considering what you'd pay just for a soundcard with similar inputs.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah.  Portastudios look pretty useful.  If I didn't have the computer setup for recording, I'd probably invest in something like that.    Or if I was recording with other people, because I don't want a bunch of people crowding around my room with instruments.   Everyone I know is clumsy as fuck and knocks things over.    The one dude had his beverage privileges revoked unless hes outside or in the laundry room.

Right now, I am using a 16 line Roland mixer from like 1986, and I plug a Roland guitar processor in, and the synth.   Most of the mixer is not used.  It was 30$ on eBay with free shipping.   Hard to say no to that.

I just feed the mixer's line outs into the soundcard to record over whatever rhythm section has been sequenced out in FL.   

FruityLoops' midi support is pretty solid.  As is Sonar.   But, I unfortunately was too young to grow up accumulating tons of useful MIDI hardware, so most of the point is lost for me personally. 

Those old synths are too damn expensive now, especially with free or cheap VSTs available that make the same noises.  So, I don't have a great need to go setup a spider web of MIDI things that all work in unison.

I'm also starting to lean away from a lot of the analog stuff simply due to the unattainable nature of them now.   Even a simple Juno-106 has become some cunt's trophy.

All of those cunty audio snobs have been buying them up so they can

1) make shitty YouTube demos to make themselves feel good about owning some 30 year old synth 
2) Circuit Bend them
3) Fucking throw them in a closet and do nothing with them except brag online that they own it.

.... they're kind of like the collectards in the video game world.

Roland does such a good job of recreating the glory days in these new models, that there's little point to most of the old stuff unless you already had it, or you want to be a complete dick and talk down to people.   Even Paul Humphreys from OMD was recently interviewed making fun of these people.

He sold his old synths off to all kinds of people and laughed his ass off.  He just recreated all of his sounds with a Fantom, and shrugged.   

Old hardware breaks down.  The oscillators go out of tune.   My SH-101 does this if it takes a hard bump.   It's all pretty irritating at times for little gain.

It is a nice thing to have such reliable new stuff.
You could buy one old Roland Jupiter, or you could get like 4 of these fuckers.

I've been contemplating an SH-201, a Gaia/Di, or one of those Alesis Microns.

The Gaia is seeming like the best of the bunch.  I could ditch my old CreativeLabs MIDI keyboard that I spraypainted red and put dragonquest stickers all over... and just use that instead.

Lots of synthy rock bands in Japan right now are using the new lineup of Roland stuff.   Every band I saw last month, if there were keyboards, they were bright white Roland ones.

This goofy girl poprock band Silent Siren's synth player uses a Gaia and a Juno-Di
The diabetes inducing pop music might not be your thing, but the synths, especially at the end, sound just like the crap that was spewing out of the 80s.

For way less money.

Plus, it's Roland.  They kind of know what they're doing.   

EDIT: Duhr, and yeah, the Roland JU-06 is great.

Basically, as fanboy as it sounds, if something new comes out that says Roland on it, it's probably good.

It's one of those brands you can still sort of just trust isn't selling you a pile of shit that has their logo on it.

SignOfZeta

I'm into analog but not so much old as new. There are more analog devices being made now than ever before but many are pricey.

The Arturia Microbrute is just shit hot, no joke. I love that thing. That's the main baseline in the track I posted. I think this unit is like $250 and it's an absolute steal. Korg's Volca Keys is a pretty sweat polyphonic analog synth (how many of those are on the market?) that's like $150 and it's great for pads, drum sounds, or almost anything. It's main weakness is that it only has a single envelope so it retriggers everything every time you hit a key like a cheap 80s home organ.

On the other hand we have stuff like my mostly Pittsburgh Modular eurorack system where every dumb little thing in it is at least $100 and it takes $1200 just to do most of what a Microbrute does.

Beyond that we have stuff like ground up recreations of TB-303s with period correct transistors and shit, which to me is crazy land.

The nice thing about 1) and 2) is that they stay in tune. The Microbrute actually needs to warm up, but my Pittsbugh stuff doesn't. They have really good temperature compensation circuits so that's never an issue.

Wires...I have to admit, they are an issue. Using the Portastudio helps a lot since you aren't wiring up all the individual shit it replaces. I like to use guitar pedals for FX and I usually run those in line rather than as a send effect so that's more simplicity. Still, it's crazy. I basically bathe in wires. The only reason I know where anything is is because I usually rip the entire setup apart for every track I do.

We haven't talked about hardware sequencers, another thing one might want if ditching computers. I have two Yamahas, a QY-10 and a QY-70. The 70 is way more powerful but the 10 is sometimes better for not having all that shit. The 10 is also much smaller, it came in a clamshell VHS case for storage. I never use the sounds in either unless it's the metronome.
IMG

SignOfZeta

Oh, btw. I recently bought a Roland A-49, which may have been the white keyboard you saw so often. It's pretty nice. It doesn't do much other than have really good keys, which is why I bought it. I bought it because my second M-Audio keyboard also had its MIDI port die (only works over USB MIDI now) so fuck those guys.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

nah, it's a Roland Juno Di

IMG

It's pretty sexy.  I want to buy one eventually. 

Some of the new analog stuff is pretty great.    There's even those crossovers like the Juno DXi
Goddamn.  The Photographic part.   

For what I often do, the Roland analog modeling stuff kicks ass though.

Yeah, I'm a RolandFag, basically.   I've been using their pedals/guitar things since I can remember.   I use a Zoom 9002 for guitars.  Everyone's sitting over here jerking off on overpriced Line6 shit, and I just bought another zoom9002 for 300 yen....

lol.

The MicroBrute was fun.  I played one at GuitarCenter, but it didn't have enough keys for the stupid shit I tend to start hamfisting.    I'm usually doing octave hopping basslines so it's always going to end up missing a key I want to hit.   The SH-101 is slightly longer so it has the keys I look for.

What I am finding nowadays though, is that a lot of people buy a lot of these things and have no clue what to do with them.

Or maybe it was always this way.   Maybe YouTube just made it more apparent.

It's hard to see what some of this stuff does because the people on youtube suck at life.

and I'm sometimes too lazy to go to Guitar Center.

and by lazy, I mean, I don't feel like dealing with the salespeople.

SignOfZeta

It's best to think of the Microbrute as a module and it's keyboard only a diagnostic aid or for use in programming the sequencer. Otherwise use an external controller. It actually plays across a pretty wide range for a single voice machine. The filter tracks the keyboard too to help the sound stay consistent up and down the range. It's LFO not only syncs to tempo but will also cycle at audio rates so you can cross modulate like you had two VCOs.

My only real complaint is that it has some settings I have to change once in a while and you need to hook it to a PC which is a pain. It also has the same stupid deal a lot of new machines have where they only have USB MIDI on the IN and OUT but only one actual MIDI, IN or OUT randomly chosen, which can sometimes leave you in some connectivity situations.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah.  When I see a keyboard on a thing, I assume it's meant for use like that.  I'm usually using the keyboards to play stuff over already sequenced stuff.

It'd be a little weird for me to plug a better keyboard into it.

but, if I can find one cheaper, I might grab one.   There's all kinds of little devices I see online or at stores that I think might be fun to try.

That's how I found the Alesis Micron.   I was like "what's this thing. it looks like a 1960s Sci Fi movie prop".

I'm curious, what kind of FX pedals do you use ?

I've got a whole board full of guitar pedals (mostly Boss).   I enjoy plugging the SH 101 into my guitar setup.

SH-101 with some analog delay + slight flange = <3

SignOfZeta

I have all stuff from Electroharmonix. Their stuff sounds amazing, is super well made, and is assembled in the US.

Memory Toy (bucket brigade delay, AWESOME)
Holy Grail Max (digital reverb that sounds analog, good plate mode)
Clone Theory (stereo chorus)
8 Step Program (this is actually a CV sequencer, does not process sound)

On the track I posted I also used some FX built into the Portastudio during mastering such as the stack emulator.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

I haven't gotten any USA stuff in awhile.  I have an old 70s MXR Distortion+, and 80s ProCo Rat pedal for distorting things.   All of my pedals come out of Japan.  Guyatone makes these little midget pedals that pack some serious sound considering they're the size of a post it note.

The Rat has a filter, so you can get some nice sounds out of it.

New distortion pedals all kind of suck ass.

I use a Maxon Analog Delay.  I've not found a better delay pedal around really. 

DO YOU CIRCUIT BEND YOUR STUFFFFFFF.

lol.

SignOfZeta

No, I don't circuit bent anything.  I can't imagine me doing that, I just don't care for those kind of sounds or that way of working. Its interesting, I guess, but I have a modular so when I want to fuck shit up I do it that way.

That guy in Zibra has a cool live video where he uses a fax machine somewhere in his huge DIY rig. It just says "print" on the 1. It works pretty well.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah, I was only kidding about circuit bending.   Most of it is retarded.

I've seen people gut solid FM keyboards from Yamaha to add knobs that ultimately just make it sound like an Atari 2600.

You don't need to trash a good unit to do that.

wildfruit

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/19/2016, 10:45 AM
Quote from: wildfruit on 05/19/2016, 03:35 AMI have listened to a few of your tracks Zeta. So far my favourite track is look mum no computer. Evokes memories of early 90s European games. Very Amiga.
That's not me! It's a band called Zibra (in this case I'm pretty sure it's just the main guy, Sam) who I've discovered and reposted to my Soundcloud stream. Soundcloud, like every other site now it seams, runs in Autoplay so it eventually starts juat playing whatever.
Damn. I've just realised. Those guys made a video of my home town. Even my old street where my parents still live is there.
https://youtu.be/m952FdZdSkk

SignOfZeta

IMG

esteban

I am playing Casio SK-1 with my other hand as I type this.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: esteban on 05/20/2016, 07:24 PMI am playing Casio SK-1 with my other hand as I type this.
thats a weird thing to call your dick.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 05/21/2016, 03:03 AM
Quote from: esteban on 05/20/2016, 07:24 PMI am playing Casio SK-1 with my other hand as I type this.
thats a weird thing to call your dick.
Well, I am a pianist, after all.

SignOfZeta

Hey guys, I made a new track.Its side one of an LP that will be made if I ever actually do the art. You'll have to fill in the blanks plot-wise but I assure you there is a story. Think: Peter and the Wolf with nobody to explain it to you. A city blows up. There is an immortal alien. Someone quits their job and meets a fairy in the woods. Its crazy. I smoke a lot.

Side 2 was recorded at the same time but its taken me 6 months to mix and master because 18 min tracks are a HUGE PAIN. Why didn't anyone tell me this?
IMG

roflmao

I'm really digging what you're creating, Zeta!

I'm not even in the same galaxy as you and Arkhan, but I've had this keyboard since the mid-late 90s and now I'm teaching my 8yr old son how to play on it. In college (late 90s) I used it to create soundtracks for 3d animations I worked on.

IMG

SignOfZeta

The first machine I ever had was a Casio PT-1 exactly like the one in this video:
I've been looking around for the perfect keyboard for my kid (still under 2) and I've come to realize this is probably it. It has to be something with no "wrong" settings. If its easy to fuck up with a certain button then he's eventually going to hit it (learned this from experience). I think his first keyboard may be the same as my first keyboard?

Shame I don't have it anymore. Like everyone else in the 80s, at all ages and income levels, I got a PCM synth and literally forgot where my old analog toy went. Now I need to go to like...eBay. I don't know if music shops even take in gear that low end. I think it was $30 in 1984 or whenever.
IMG

roflmao

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/05/2016, 12:24 AMThe first machine I ever had was a Casio PT-1 exactly like the one in this video:
I've been looking around for the perfect keyboard for my kid (still under 2) and I've come to realize this is probably it. It has to be something with no "wrong" settings. If its easy to fuck up with a certain button then he's eventually going to hit it (learned this from experience). I think his first keyboard may be the same as my first keyboard?

Shame I don't have it anymore. Like everyone else in the 80s, at all ages and income levels, I got a PCM synth and literally forgot where my old analog toy went. Now I need to go to like...eBay. I don't know if music shops even take in gear that low end. I think it was $30 in 1984 or whenever.
I saw Jill Sobule play once and I'm pretty sure all she has was one of those little keyboards. It was such a fun show! Man, I haven't thought of her in ages. But I remember that keyboard!

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/04/2016, 11:55 PMHey guys, I made a new track.Its side one of an LP that will be made if I ever actually do the art. You'll have to fill in the blanks plot-wise but I assure you there is a story. Think: Peter and the Wolf with nobody to explain it to you. A city blows up. There is an immortal alien. Someone quits their job and meets a fairy in the woods. Its crazy. I smoke a lot.

Side 2 was recorded at the same time but its taken me 6 months to mix and master because 18 min tracks are a HUGE PAIN. Why didn't anyone tell me this?
I thought you were joking about the warfare/narrative...but then I heard the melodic Lazers and Gunfire of The Battle. That concept reminded me of the early Human League "battle scene" tracks...but your music is stubbornly upbeat :)

Obviously, you need Side 3 (it should be ~18 minutes) to be a brooding, somber, dystopian dirge where we "soar deep into the cold, sterile celestial wasteland" ...only to be reborn/metamorphosize (Side 4) as "the last pulsar in the cosmos"... A beacon of futility. Minimalist pulsation from the cold vacuum of Nihil.  Everything stripped down to basics.

A beacon of hope?
Perhaps.
The last pulsar in the cosmos.

:)

I want Side Deux.

SignOfZeta

Side one ended with our three heroes leaving the planet. Side 2 is quicker in pace and has them rematching a much more powerful version of the boss that blew up with the city in part 1.

The original plan (lets see how much of this happens) was when the album was complete I would make an ambient remix of it and also a dance remix version. Same themes with different presentation.

Side 2 is 18 min as well. When it's finished I'm not making any more 18 min tracks until I figure out an easier way to do them. I'm quite excited to get back to short things again. The ambient remix album would be a "CD length" track according to the original plan so obviously I'll have to figure it out by then. Chances are I'll build them in sections and "DJ" them together in Traktor.
IMG

Psycho Punch

I have a low-end yamaha synth keyboard that I bought years ago to learn how to play sheet music, do I qualify for this thread?

note: I didn't learn anything.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

esteban

Quote from: guest on 11/06/2016, 11:55 AMI have a low-end yamaha synth keyboard that I bought years ago to learn how to play sheet music, do I qualify for this thread?

note: I didn't learn anything.
Yes. :)

SignOfZeta

My second keyboard was a Yamaha that I later gave away and I haven't been able to figure out which one online, haven't looked very hard to be honest. This would have been around whenever The Final Countdown came out. 1987?

It had the same chip as a million other doodads at the time. 100 sounds, number 00 through 99 starting with Piano and ending with...Machine Gun, I think. It was polyphonic to some degree, maybe only on the simpler voices. No MIDI. I gave it to my grandma and I'm not sure what happened to it when she moved. IIRC it went out of tune at some point which seems odd given how advanced it was but I guess it can happen to anything.

EDIT: I just learned it was a PSS-170, a model line in which the numbers have zero logic that I can see.

/Yamaha-Portasound-Digital-Pss-170-Electronic-Keyboard-Voice-Bank-_1.jpg

You can hear a demo here:
IMG

johnnykonami

Hey Zeta, I want to get a replacement keyboard that works well with ipad, do you have any suggestions?  My previous was an Edirol PCR 300, the main problem is that it isn't recognized in the apps I've tried with the apple CCK, but I'd also like to get something with more keys (maybe 49?) and I never really liked the action of the edirol keys.  I was toying around with getting the Korg Nanokey Studio for Gadget compatibility, but I'd really like something with real keys and sturdier.  Just thought I'd see if you had any ideas being the resident musician type.  I'm also trying to figure out what audio interface to connect my Chapman Stick to the ipad, it needs two high impedance inputs or I would have gone with the Focusrite Itrack Dock.  I'm afraid I'll have to get a preamp to use of the other line inputs.

</G.A.S. mode>

SignOfZeta

I don't do anything with iOS and music but the Roland A-49 is a terrific keyboard controller. No bigger than it needs to be and the keys feel great. It's for sure made with iPad in mind I know because I saw a lot about it in the documentation.
IMG

Psycho Punch

Mine isn't that old... In fact it wasn't all that long ago, maybe 10 years max since I bought it. I was trying to search for it and for some reason the exact model number came immediately to my mind: PSR-E203.

IMG

It's a cool beginner's keyboard I guess, but it doesn't have anything fancy. I wonder if it has enough simultaneous instruments to play DOS game music hahah. I'm not sure if I'll ever be interested in music again but I'll keep it in storage just in case :P
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

johnnykonami

Cool, thanks Zeta.  37 always seemed a little small, I hope 49 is enough of a span. I may go more, the iPad is more about the variety of midi patches and sound generators than it is portability to me.

Gredler

I've been on the fence for getting something so that I could potentially make music for catastrophy, but I think learning to play on a wasd keyboard is probably just as viable for our needs - am I wrong, or should I be on the lookout for a keyboard during the holiday mega-sales?

SignOfZeta

I guess it depends on what kind of music you'd want to make.
IMG

Gredler

Something that doesn't sound like garbage found spewed from within a demon baby diaper preferably.  Or old jazz standard style songs ;)

SignOfZeta

Quote from: esteban on 11/05/2016, 04:57 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/04/2016, 11:55 PMHey guys, I made a new track.Its side one of an LP that will be made if I ever actually do the art. You'll have to fill in the blanks plot-wise but I assure you there is a story. Think: Peter and the Wolf with nobody to explain it to you. A city blows up. There is an immortal alien. Someone quits their job and meets a fairy in the woods. Its crazy. I smoke a lot.

I thought you were joking about the warfare/narrative...but then I heard the melodic Lazers and Gunfire of The Battle. That concept reminded me of the early Human League "battle scene" tracks...but your music is stubbornly upbeat :)

Obviously, you need Side 3 (it should be ~18 minutes) to be a brooding, somber, dystopian dirge where we "soar deep into the cold, sterile celestial wasteland" ...only to be reborn/metamorphosize (Side 4) as "the last pulsar in the cosmos"... A beacon of futility. Minimalist pulsation from the cold vacuum of Nihil.  Everything stripped down to basics.

A beacon of hope?
Perhaps.

I want Side Deux.
Side deux is done:Lots of harmonious droning, a good beat, a metal dragon of the id, an intergalactic party ride, though no one knows the mentor.

Now to the remix versions....
IMG

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/22/2016, 01:38 AM
Quote from: esteban on 11/05/2016, 04:57 AM

A beacon of hope?
Perhaps.

I want Side Deux.
Side deux is done:Lots of harmonious droning, a good beat, a metal dragon of the id, an intergalactic party ride, though no one knows the mentor.

I am in my way to work, but you know that I'll be listening to this tonight or tomorrow.

Maybe it will inspire me to create a nice gift for my wife. Like a homemade ___________.

Then again, maybe not. :)

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/22/2016, 01:38 AMSide deux is done:Lots of harmonious droning, a good beat, a metal dragon of the id, an intergalactic party ride, though no one knows the mentor.

OK, I think I prefer Side Deux?

NO, how could I say that?

King Solomon, and all that.

But, at the end of the week, it will be interesting to tally up and see if I have a preference for slide2

SignOfZeta

Side 2 rocks a lot more but Side 1 is better at smearing the sound all over the place.
IMG