10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

lords of thunder questions

Started by NeoFreak, 09/14/2006, 06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeoFreak

well i know i'm late to the party with this one; holy shit this game is pretty awesome. totally worthy of its hype. I had today off from work, I have been playing since like 11am... I have just about got every level memorized. In zone 7, i've made it all the way up through the swinging gauntlets and have almost defeated that wall with the 3 crystals inside, ive been able to destroy all but the last. I hope to take it down on my next run through; but i just had couple questions. is the wall laser the boss of 7? and is zone 8 also a full level? one more thing i'm trying to figure out is where the hit detection on landis is... is it just his head and upper torso?

why dont the level names match between in-game and the manual? are those the original pc-engine names?

btw, the background music track for the forest zone is by far my favorite...anyone else think so?
IMG
NEC n.(en•E•shee)

T2KFreeker

Ah, the memories here! I have not played this game since 1996! Been way too long so I need to pick this up again! I wish I could help you out man, but it has been so long that I don't remember much about the details of the game! I do remember that this game was awesome, although I did like Gate Of Thunder better. Still, Lords Of Thunder was awesome!
END OF LINE.

OldRover

Quote from: "NeoFreak"is the wall laser the boss of 7?
No, the end boss of level 7 is after the wall-laser (where the game stops scrolling). The wall-laser isn't too hard to beat, just make sure you look out for the tracking-laser and the blue dragons, they come out at specific times to just learn to time their appearances. For the level 7 boss. you will have to memorize his attack patterns to beat him, but he's not as tough as he looks. Just stay on him as much as possible when he's vulnerable. Earth armor works best.

Quote from: "NeoFreak"and is zone 8 also a full level?
No. And as a hint for the final area, don't bother purchasing any powerups except maybe a shield and elixir...you'll see why. :)

Quote from: "NeoFreak"one more thing i'm trying to figure out is where the hit detection on landis is... is it just his head and upper torso?
It's his whole body as far as I know.

Quote from: "NeoFreak"why dont the level names match between in-game and the manual? are those the original pc-engine names?
Dunno...someone in the states was prolly smoking something bad that day.

Quote from: "NeoFreak"btw, the background music track for the forest zone is by far my favorite...anyone else think so?
That one's definately one of the best in the game. My personal faves are the regular boss theme and then the final boss theme. For level themes, my favorite is the one for the volcano stage...nice thundering bassline!
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Odonadon

QuoteDunno...someone in the states was prolly smoking something bad that day.

Definetely a recurring theme for our beloved system(s)  :)

OD

NeoFreak

Quoteas a hint for the final area, don't bother purchasing any powerups except maybe a shield and elixir...you'll see why. :)

thanks man; i made it back to the end of zone 7, killed the wall lazer, defeated the boss [who i actually thought was pretty easy once you know his pattern, and figure out how to keep him jumping in the center]

your tip came in handy for the final boss; I used the earth armor and completely ripped him apart. I've read so many places people say the earth armor is useless and weak, but i think its the best armor in the game if you are good enough to power the suit up. I use it in the forest and snow zones all the way through to the boss, works great againts the unicorn boss, and againts the large dude with the tentacles and the rapid fire lazers at the end of forest zone [IMHO he is the hardest / most unpredictable boss in the game] well thanks again, pretty damn proud of myself right now. [dont even think i used a continue]
IMG
NEC n.(en•E•shee)

takashirose

Yes the forest level has my favourite music.  It is the first level I play.  I don't know why.  Maybe it is the music.  Good music gets you into the whole mood.  Now, all I need to do is beat the game in Hard and the hardest dificulty levels.
Let the old mix with the new.

TurboXray

I use Earth armor for almost every level.

Keranu

Quote from: "Bonknuts"I use Earth armor for almost every level.
Right on, you can beat the game easily by using the Earth armor for every level. In fact I suggested this tip on my website . ;)
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: "Bonknuts"I use Earth armor for almost every level.

Same here!
IMG

OldRover

Quote from: "NeoFreak"I've read so many places people say the earth armor is useless and weak
All those sources are full of BS and probably simply copied off of one site that said it was useless (probably written by some nooblet who got his punk ass kicked by the game and then went on to whine about it). The Earth armor is the most powerful armor in the game, and that's undisputable...its attack power is exceptional (even at level 1) and its bomb hits everything onscreen, and HARD, which no other bomb does. Granted, the Earth armor at level 1 is harder to use (since the little napalm shots only go downward) but hey...get good at the game so you never drop under level 2 weapon power and you're good to go. :)
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Keranu

Another important thing to beating the game is to purchase wisely from shops. I can't really give you a guide for what you should get after each level right now, but just be sure to fill your life enough after each level and try to maintain a good weapon power level. I also recommend saving your money on the shields and life recovery thing for the later harder levels.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

akamichi

Played thru the game today.  Forgot how cool some of the stages are.  Pretty much used Earth armor throughout the entire game.  The backgrounds in the game are prolly some of the best on the system.  Lots of colors and variety in every stage.

Definitely a game worth owning, but I think everybody knows that already. :)

NeoFreak

i love all the little details, like in the lake / water zone, when your are coming out of the water into the canal / castle area, and theres this little dude with a big hammer, he smashes the ground so all the water drains out of the hall way. my favorite parts in general are when the last two layers of parallax scrolling fade to black and then load something in like castle walls or rock details as you are entering an indoor area.

some of my favorite enemies to fight are the small wizards that circle themselves in fireballs, and also that big blue flying crabbish thing [you fight for the second time but re-colored] in zone 7.

i think overall the forest zone is my favorite, i love the art and usually forests areas are my favorite in any game, period. but in the case of lords of thunder, this stage also has the most amazing music ever.
IMG
NEC n.(en•E•shee)

Jammaniaclord

I totally, and THOROUGHLY LOVE THIS GAME!!!!

I remember EGM flipping out over gates Of Thunder,a nd YES it IS a good game, but what got me was that they said the music was heavy metal, and being a HUUUUUGE shooter freak,a nd LOVING metal alot, i was bummed out when the music wasn't slamming and pumping me up for the game. I still dig the game though, but Lords trumps it BIGTIME!!!! If Yngwie (i'm a dickhead egomaniac) Malmsteen went metal, then this would be his signature.

I prefer the Japanese Winds Of Thunder, as it has dialogue in the cinema's, and the shop keeper speak, albeit all are in Japanese, but it adds to the game. We got the voice back in the Sega C.D. botch job, but it isn't worth it really. They tampered with the music and other sound effects.

Lords cranks bigtime, and is WORTHY of a sequel!  

Maybe Chris Covel(sp?) will take that challenge on?! (HINT, HINT, WINK, WINK!!!!!)
PC Cocoron Hunter

Kaminari

Quote from: "NeoFreak"why dont the level names match between in-game and the manual? are those the original pc-engine names?

The level names in the game are the original ones from Winds of Thunder. The US manual contains screenshots of a preview version which should have had the level names changed for the US market, but for some reason (common sense, probably) they decided in the end to go with the original names. The US "official" names remained in the manual though.

Keranu

Very interesting, I never knew about this.
IMG