SEGA + PCE

Started by broonage, 06/15/2016, 08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broonage

Coming from the Sega MD world, I'm curious to see what the PCE versions are like. Read up on Golden Axe saying it's terrible, and a remake homebrew is on the way (but couldn't find more info about that).

Found this topic over on sega-16: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?1485-Sega-games-on-Turbografx-PC-Engine

Anyway I'm going to go for After Burner 2, bringing my PCE collection to a whopping 7 games!

CrackTiger

Good Sega conversions for PC Engine:

Cotton
Gain Ground
Outrun
Space Harrier
Afterburner II
Fantasy Zone
Dynastic Hero
Adventure Island/Dragon's Curse
Bikkuriman World
Monster Lair
Bonanza Bros
Shinobi
Altered Beast
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Digi.k

Quote from: guest on 06/15/2016, 09:34 AMGood Sega conversions for PC Engine:

Bikkuriman World
Incase new pc engine owners are wondering about this title it's basically Wonderboy II in monsterland but using characters from an anime show called Bikkuriman

broonage

I didn't realise there where so many!! Great!

Digi.k

there are more but whether you will think them any good well......

Power Drift
Thunder Blade
columns
puyo puyo CD - does this count? even though it's more Compile?

wiseau

Space Harrier is SOMEHOW leagues ahead of the genesis version, it's like day and night.

broonage

I think my bank manager is going to hate me

CrackTiger

Columns and Puyo Puyo are great ports with good chip sound.

Puyo Puyo Tsu is a good, but not great port.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Gredler

Quote from: broonage on 06/15/2016, 10:58 AMI think my bank manager is going to hate me
Someone has developed a very affordable card that allows you to play all of engine game son the original hardware, shipped it will be under 100$.

The PC engine CD systems are almost always compatible with burned CDRs so that is a cheap solution for playing those games.

Buying games for this platform is generally unnecessary unless you want a package with the manual and box and stuff, the everdrive and available backup copies play negligibly different from official releases.

nopepper

I think Out Run is much better on the PCE than on the Genesis. The game just feels right and the chip tunes are fantastic, especially the name entry screen, which is just sublime.

As mentioned earlier, Space Harrier, Puyo Puyo and Gain Ground are great conversions as well, even if they have their idiosyncrasies, such as the lack of checkered board pattern in SH and the zoomed in view in GG.

I also love Fantasy Zone in the Turbo/PCE, but mainly because of the rapid fire controller!

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: broonage on 06/15/2016, 08:12 AMComing from the Sega MD world, I'm curious to see what the PCE versions are like. Read up on Golden Axe saying it's terrible, and a remake homebrew is on the way (but couldn't find more info about that).

Found this topic over on sega-16: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?1485-Sega-games-on-Turbografx-PC-Engine

Anyway I'm going to go for After Burner 2, bringing my PCE collection to a whopping 7 games!
Yeah, we were working on a homebrew remake of Golden Axe, but it's on hold AFAIK.  The music is basically done.  It's essentially a mashup of the soundtrack from the PCE version, mixed with the Sega Classics soundtrack(has a few totally remade tracks by me, along with a new track or 2 not found in the original PCE version).  Black Tiger did a lot of graphic work for it, & Nodtveidt/Old Rover was doing programming, but he has been working on other titles lately.  Hopefully someday we'll finish it, as it'll look & play(& sound)beautiful! :)
IMG

broonage

Quote from: Gredler on 06/15/2016, 01:30 PM
Quote from: broonage on 06/15/2016, 10:58 AMI think my bank manager is going to hate me
Someone has developed a very affordable card that allows you to play all of engine game son the original hardware, shipped it will be under 100$.

The PC engine CD systems are almost always compatible with burned CDRs so that is a cheap solution for playing those games.

Buying games for this platform is generally unnecessary unless you want a package with the manual and box and stuff, the everdrive and available backup copies play negligibly different from official releases.
Yeah I was looking at the Everdrive. Looks great but I'm worried it will take away the "excitement". I call it the "too much choice" syndrome - I won't put as much effort in playing the games. I much prefer to hunt down the games and try to get them cheaper than scam-bay. That way I will play them and they look great! :)

broonage

Quote from: nopepper on 06/16/2016, 12:30 AMI think Out Run is much better on the PCE than on the Genesis. The game just feels right and the chip tunes are fantastic, especially the name entry screen, which is just sublime.

As mentioned earlier, Space Harrier, Puyo Puyo and Gain Ground are great conversions as well, even if they have their idiosyncrasies, such as the lack of checkered board pattern in SH and the zoomed in view in GG.

I also love Fantasy Zone in the Turbo/PCE, but mainly because of the rapid fire controller!
I'm going to hunt down sooooo many games :)

broonage

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 06/16/2016, 02:37 AM
Quote from: broonage on 06/15/2016, 08:12 AMComing from the Sega MD world, I'm curious to see what the PCE versions are like. Read up on Golden Axe saying it's terrible, and a remake homebrew is on the way (but couldn't find more info about that).

Yeah, we were working on a homebrew remake of Golden Axe, but it's on hold AFAIK.  The music is basically done.  It's essentially a mashup of the soundtrack from the PCE version, mixed with the Sega Classics soundtrack(has a few totally remade tracks by me, along with a new track or 2 not found in the original PCE version).  Black Tiger did a lot of graphic work for it, & Nodtveidt/Old Rover was doing programming, but he has been working on other titles lately.  Hopefully someday we'll finish it, as it'll look & play(& sound)beautiful! :)
Awesome!!!!!

seieienbu

Definitely worth mentioning a bit more about Shinobi.  The PC Engine port is leagues ahead of the NES and SMS counterparts.  It isn't exactly arcade perfect; the scrolling background layer is removed, the third boss "Mandara" is missing several statues, there are less flying ninjas when you use magic, no bonus stages etc.

However, it is the finest port of the arcade game on systems current to the arcade release.  Unlike the other ports, there is no life bar.  The graphics don't take nearly the same downgrade hit as the other versions.  And, most importantly, it just feels more like the real Shinobi.

As you're a fan of Sega games and comparing ports, I'd highly recommend you check out PC Engine Shinobi.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Digi.k

Quote from: seieienbu on 06/17/2016, 03:05 PMDefinitely worth mentioning a bit more about Shinobi.  The PC Engine port is leagues ahead of the NES and SMS counterparts.  It isn't exactly arcade perfect; the scrolling background layer is removed, the third boss "Mandara" is missing several statues, there are less flying ninjas when you use magic, no bonus stages etc.

However, it is the finest port of the arcade game on systems current to the arcade release.  Unlike the other ports, there is no life bar.  The graphics don't take nearly the same downgrade hit as the other versions.  And, most importantly, it just feels more like the real Shinobi.

As you're a fan of Sega games and comparing ports, I'd highly recommend you check out PC Engine Shinobi.
The only thing that stopping me from owning this is the close range attack and power ups are missing which really grates me otherwise I would say that in looks it is pretty close.

esteban

I have played SMS PCE and Arcade Shinobi quite a bit over the years and I really enjoy them all.

There is one thing that can ONLY be said about PCE Shinobi, however: it is TOASTY HOT.

IMG
IMG

...and is part of all NUtritional Xmas Holiday Breakfast (NUXHP) meals.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

EmperorIng

Likewise, the lack of close range attack in the PCE port of Shinobi kills it for me. It's a big part of formulating strategy in  the arcade, plus its inherent cool factor.

I forgot about the lack of power ups. Into the trash bin it goes!

_Paul

PCE Shinobi is a closer conversion, but I much prefer the SMS version.

broonage

Shinobi is on my TO_GET list!!! :)

geise

Quote from: broonage on 06/16/2016, 04:49 AMYeah I was looking at the Everdrive. Looks great but I'm worried it will take away the "excitement". I call it the "too much choice" syndrome - I won't put as much effort in playing the games. I much prefer to hunt down the games and try to get them cheaper than scam-bay. That way I will play them and they look great! :)
You are right on the money. I have been a turbo owner since it's initial release. You know when you didn't have much money as a teen and you bought a game, enjoyed it (or not) and played it to death till you  could afford another game.  You took time with the game and it gave you a better sense of appreciation.  I got an everdrive  a few years back to use for translations and a few (now overly expensive) titles I'm to smart to waste money on.  You are so right that it will take away from the experience.  You are going about it the right way.  BTW welcome!

exodus

I'd say the Puyo and Wonder Boy ports are the only good ones! And cotton if you count that as Sega.

broonage

Quote from: geise on 06/20/2016, 01:56 PM
Quote from: broonage on 06/16/2016, 04:49 AMYeah I was looking at the Everdrive. Looks great but I'm worried it will take away the "excitement". I call it the "too much choice" syndrome - I won't put as much effort in playing the games. I much prefer to hunt down the games and try to get them cheaper than scam-bay. That way I will play them and they look great! :)
You are right on the money. I have been a turbo owner since it's initial release. You know when you didn't have much money as a teen and you bought a game, enjoyed it (or not) and played it to death till you  could afford another game.  You took time with the game and it gave you a better sense of appreciation.  I got an everdrive  a few years back to use for translations and a few (now overly expensive) titles I'm to smart to waste money on.  You are so right that it will take away from the experience.  You are going about it the right way.  BTW welcome!
Thanks. :)

Gentlegamer

PCE Shinobi is really hard... it has the arcade feel!
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 06/21/2016, 06:27 PMPCE Shinobi is really hard... it has the arcade feel!
IMG

last time I use this gif I swear
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

cr8zykuban0

Cotton
Gain Ground
Outrun
Space Harrier
Afterburner II
Fantasy Zone
Dynastic Hero
Bikkuriman World
Monster Lair
Bonanza Bros
Shinobi
Altered Beast
Dynastic hero and dragons curse are sega conversions??

I had no clue. Are they wonder boy type games?

Sarumaru

When I think of Sega Conversions, so to speak, I think of mainly first party titles by SEGA like Out Runs,  Shinobers, Space Harriest, etc. I'm not sure the Westone games or Cotton by Success fall in that category.  I really do think Shinobi on the PC Engine is the better port even without bonus stage or power ups. The music in it is great too.

CrackTiger

Wonderboy is as Sega as it gets and feel much more so to me than many "1st party" titles. I'm still waiting for more real Wonderboy and can never have enough of Opa Opa.

Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 06/22/2016, 03:00 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 06/15/2016, 09:34 AMGood Sega conversions for PC Engine:

Cotton
Gain Ground
Outrun
Space Harrier
Afterburner II
Fantasy Zone
Dynastic Hero
Bikkuriman World
Monster Lair
Bonanza Bros
Shinobi
Altered Beast
Dynastic hero and dragons curse are sega conversions??

I had no clue. Are they wonder boy type games?
On Genesis and SMS they are called Wonderboy V and Wonderboy III.

esteban

Quote from: Sarumaru on 06/22/2016, 07:22 PMWhen I think of Sega Conversions, so to speak, I think of mainly first party titles by SEGA like Out Runs,  Shinobers, Space Harriest, etc. I'm not sure the Westone games or Cotton by Success fall in that category.  I really do think Shinobi on the PC Engine is the better port even without bonus stage or power ups. The music in it is great too.
I always liked Wonderboy more than Alexx Kidd. So, for me, Wonderboy was the mascot.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: EmperorIng on 06/18/2016, 12:55 PMLikewise, the lack of close range attack in the PCE port of Shinobi kills it for me. It's a big part of formulating strategy in  the arcade, plus its inherent cool factor.

Yeah, that kinda makes it sound like shit, and if it's the best contemporary port I'd say they must all suck.
IMG

seieienbu

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/23/2016, 10:42 PM
Quote from: EmperorIng on 06/18/2016, 12:55 PMLikewise, the lack of close range attack in the PCE port of Shinobi kills it for me. It's a big part of formulating strategy in  the arcade, plus its inherent cool factor.

Yeah, that kinda makes it sound like shit, and if it's the best contemporary port I'd say they must all suck.
Honestly, that's a reasonable statement.  None of the ports remained 100% true to the arcade game even when discounting graphics.  I'd actually forgotten that there was only shuriken attacks and no close range/powerups and booted up the game to test it.  I still think it's an enjoyable game and worth playing but it (like all versions from back when) is very much a toned down port of the arcade version gameplay-wise.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Digi.k

Altered Beast
is that really considered good?  I really like the setting and the graphics but the control system NEC Avenue did for this just sucks sooo hard... >__<

IMG

You might also want to look into this unofficial release.

IMG

CrackTiger

What's wrong with the control system? Have you played the HuCard version using Tom's jump button hack? The two PCE versions don't have the same difficulty either way.

Altered Beast is a good conversion because of how well the conversion is. It's hard to believe how much animation they dedicated space to, most of the detail is intact and the sound is solid. The color makes the Genesis version look 8-bit by contrast. It is much more faithful by not tacking on parallax.

However good these games are is independent of how good they ate as ports by the standards at the time.

Digi.k

Quote from: guest on 07/04/2016, 09:06 PMWhat's wrong with the control system? Have you played the HuCard version using Tom's jump button hack? The two PCE versions don't have the same difficulty either way.
I guess I just suck at the game but is there a link to the hack'd version?  I wan't to test it out later on.

IMG

esteban

drewbrim

I'd give Gain Ground SX a shot if you're into Sega ports, love this game.  It's been decades since I've played the Genesis version so I can really compare.  But the scd retained a lot of the arcade feel for me.

esteban

Quote from: drewbrim on 07/08/2016, 09:59 PMI'd give Gain Ground SX a shot if you're into Sega ports, love this game.  It's been decades since I've played the Genesis version so I can really compare.  But the scd retained a lot of the arcade feel for me.
It's totally fun :) (SX, that is)

And the Red Book is awesome.

SavagePencil

Quote from: drewbrim on 07/08/2016, 09:59 PMI'd give Gain Ground SX a shot if you're into Sega ports, love this game.  It's been decades since I've played the Genesis version so I can really compare.  But the scd retained a lot of the arcade feel for me.
Seconding this.  The SMS version is also very, very good and supports co-op, but the PC-E version is easily the best.

EmperorIng

I disagree, if only because you can see the entire stage in the MD/GEN verison, whereas the PCE version has an excessively zoomed-in playing field. It's harder to formulate a strategy if you can't see the entire enemy layout, or can't see when enemies suddenly rush towards you for crossing their line of sight (this is important to the arcade version). Additionally, while it's difficult to properly quantify this, the PCE ver. definitely feels slower and easier, chugging along with an onslaught of arrows or projectiles.

The Genesis port has smaller sprites but everything moves much quicker, the enemies are more aggressive, and the game retains a full screen - and has the badass ultimate mode (or w/e it's called) that gives you all 20 characters at once.

I think the PCE port is an interesting and decent adaptation of the game, but the Genesis version wins out for playability.

broonage

Some recent pickups. :)

/2016-07-16%2017.03.50.jpg

esteban

Quote from: broonage on 07/19/2016, 07:41 AMSome recent pickups. :)
Tell me about that sticker on Afterburner... was that a UK rental/retail back in the day?

It actually looks decent, if it was from the 90's, since stores  rarely cared about aesthetics when labeling items. They usually took a much more utilitarian approach.

broonage

Quote from: esteban on 07/19/2016, 10:22 AM
Quote from: broonage on 07/19/2016, 07:41 AMSome recent pickups. :)
Tell me about that sticker on Afterburner... was that a UK rental/retail back in the day?

It actually looks decent, if it was from the 90's, since stores  rarely cared about aesthetics when labeling items. They usually took a much more utilitarian approach.
It is from France. It even includes a typed out guide in French explaining the game etc.

broonage

Picked up Altered Beast and Golden Axe.

Golden Axe really is a shambles isn't it?
  • The loading when baddies come on screen
  • Slowdown when 2 or 3 baddies on screen
  • Shoddy sound effects
  • The terrible sprites for the swordsman!!
  • Continue means start from the beginning of the level

To be fair, the music is great and the animations are nice.

Another thing, Altered Beast when I played it last night I would get my 3rd powerup to transform into a wolf and then I'm stuck, I can't go forward nor back!!?

esteban

Quote from: broonage on 08/06/2016, 06:55 AMAnother thing, Altered Beast when I played it last night I would get my 3rd powerup to transform into a wolf and then I'm stuck, I can't go forward nor back!!?
Use System Card 1.0.

Or, beat the game without transforming into a beast.

:(

:)

broonage

Quote from: esteban on 08/06/2016, 06:59 AM
Quote from: broonage on 08/06/2016, 06:55 AMAnother thing, Altered Beast when I played it last night I would get my 3rd powerup to transform into a wolf and then I'm stuck, I can't go forward nor back!!?
Use System Card 1.0.

Noooooooobiiiieeeee Aleeerrrtttt! :)

Why do I need the SC1.0 if I have a DuoR?

esteban

Quote from: broonage on 08/06/2016, 07:01 AM
Quote from: esteban on 08/06/2016, 06:59 AM
Use System Card 1.0.

Noooooooobiiiieeeee Aleeerrrtttt! :)

Why do I need the SC1.0 if I have a DuoR?
Because...System Card 1.0 is your Lourde and Saviour.

IMG

Drink of His blood, and be saved from game-halting bug in Altered Beast.

broonage

Oh I know that beer. :)

Well ok, I guess I'll search around why. I figured since the Duo-R has one of the last firmware versions, all previous games would play fine.

broonage

Is that version 1.0 or 2.0?

broonage

Just saw a great quote on another forum:

PS: the PCE CD library is interesting and split into 3 main pieces CD, SCD, ACD and then Altered Beast.

esteban

Quote from: broonage on 08/06/2016, 07:12 AMIs that version 1.0 or 2.0?
Ha!

I didn't have a picture of 1.0 available in my photos :)

I don't think I ever took a photo of it.

QuoteIn 1988, the system was packed with version 1.0 of the card, which has a secret code that unlocks a simple memory viewer and debugger. System Card Version 2.0 was packed in with later CD-ROM packages; it added support for CD+G playback and fixed a few bugs. (Due to these code changes, the CD version of Altered Beast fails to load on anything besides version 1.0 of the system card.) Version 2.1, which was not packed in with anything but instead sold separately, added an auto disc-change feature and nothing else of note.
http://magweasel.com/2009/07/17/i-love-the-pc-engine-cd-rom-system/

As you can see, even magweasel got it wrong—the game loads and plays...you could beat the game (possibly?), but it would require no transformations.

IMG