New to Turbo, Recommend me some Good Fun Games!

Started by jonebone, 06/29/2016, 08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonebone

Hey there, I'm new to the forum but I've been actively collecting video games since 2008, born in 1984.  Never had any experience with a Turbo (other than a vague memory from a friend of a friend, somewhere around age 5/6) so I wanted to collect something different and TG16 seems intriguing.  Figured this would be a good place to join!

Any recommendations about fun Hu Card games to play?  Looks like the Neutopias, Bombermans and Legendary Axe games would be right up my alley but curious for some community input.  I'm actually not much into shooters and I know the TG16 excels in that area, but I figure it offers plenty of other alternatives too.

Thanks for the welcome!

Gentlegamer

Just so you know, this forum originated the term "collectard."

Sure you want to be here?
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

NecroPhile

There's several "best of" threads listing people's favorites, but your best bet is to get an everdrive and try 'em for yourself before buying.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gentlegamer

And just so everyone else knows, this is a mod at Nintendo Age who admits being into buying 'undervalued' games to flip.

As well as the whole set/merit badge collectard thing.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

geise

Congrats on getting a TG16.  Sad thing is it's a bad time to be getting into the system if you are wanting to acquire actual US HuCards, but don't let this deter you.  There's still deals to be had for games you mainly want to just play and enjoy.  Think about getting your TG16 region modded or a better route just get a cheap pc-engine for the imports.  There are so many good imports that are easy to play and require no knowledge of japanese to enjoy.  There's also an Everdrive route which I'm sure you know about already, but is really not for this topic.  So, for some decent priced HuCards:

Bomberman
Bonks Adventure
Bonks Return
Neutopia
Ninja Spirit. (game is not worth what ebay says)
Battle Royale (can be fun with friends)
Bloody Wolf
Boxy Boy - (fun challenging puzzle game)
Cratermaze
Alien Crush
Dragon's Curse
DUNGEON EXPLORER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (fantastic music)
Dungeons and Dragons - Order of the Griffon
Fantasy Zone
Dragon Spirit (yes a shooter but amazing just for the music)
Space Harrier
Hit the Ice (fun hockey game that's 2 player)
Final Lap Twin
JJ & Jeff
Power Golf
Legendary Axe I & II

Plenty more but others will chime in.  For more info on games please check out
http://www.pcengine.co.uk/

jonebone

Thanks for the advice NecroPhile and Geise.  Gentlegamer hates NA so no surprise he wants to troll my thread.  Yes I have resold plenty of stuff over the years to fund my collection and I've also given away free items to friends to help complete their goals.  I'd like to think I'm a pretty level-headed guy to deal with. 

As for cost / everdrive, not that worried about that. I'm going to be going for fully complete in box stuff as that's what I've always collected.  Yeah it looks like TG16 is pretty expensive these days but on the flip side I was in NES / SNES / GB / N64 when prices were pennies on the dollar.  Can't win em all.

Bloody Wolf is a good one, that reminds me of Contra and I'll definitely grab it.  Splatterhouse is a must but I own S2/S3 on Genesis and know all about those.  Boxy Boy seems interesting (I like Puzzle games) and I appreciate some others from your list. 

Thanks again for the advice!

geise

I honestly don't care who comes here from NA anymore.  There's so many lurkers from there here in the shadows there's no point getting all in a fuss when someone comes over from there.  I say welcome.  I also say get a pc-engine as well...seriously.  So many good games.  You'd also want to get cd attachment and a Super CD card to get the full benefit of the system library.

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: jonebone on 06/29/2016, 09:47 AMI'm going to be going for fully complete in box stuff as that's what I've always collected.  Yeah it looks like TG16 is pretty expensive these days but on the flip side I was in NES / SNES / GB / N64 when prices were pennies on the dollar.  Can't win em all.
Sega Genesis collecting is quite tempting this time of year.  Maybe you should look into that?
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

jonebone

Quote from: geise on 06/29/2016, 09:58 AMI honestly don't care who comes here from NA anymore.  There's so many lurkers from there here in the shadows there's no point getting all in a fuss when someone comes over from there.  I say welcome.  I also say get a pc-engine as well...seriously.  So many good games.  You'd also want to get cd attachment and a Super CD card to get the full benefit of the system library.
Thanks.... and yes I've been lurking about a month.  My current TG16 collection consists of Bravoman, Bonk's Revenge and R-Type.  Figured it was about time to introduce myself.  Not sure why there is so much forum animosity, I was semi-active on DigitPress too which is more "gamer" oriented.  Games are games, you'd think people would be glad to see more interest in their system.

Gentlegamer

Games are games, so you should be fine with emulation, flashcarts, or loosies, right?
IMG

Warbucks

Gotta get that Jackie Chan !

Similar to the NES version, but I like the turbo version better.

bob

welcome.  and I hope your stay is enlightening here.

One thing to know when you sign up, this is not VGA-age.  Almost anything goes.
Members won't get censored/banned for being against box collectors.  Gotta keep a good sense of humor, somewhat thick skin.  There are some good members here, some bad members here, and many wolves in sheeps clothing.  Don't try to understand it overnight.  It may take time.

A lot to learn about the TG/PCE deep in these threads.

rxmage

If price isn't a major concern, I would add Cadash and Dragon's Curse to the list. 

I enjoyed Boxy Boy too, but really loved Puzzle Boy.  It is a PCE game, but if you go the Everdrive route, there is an English translation available.

Have fun!

csgx1

Welcome.

I recommend Military Madness if you like turn-based strategy games (like Advance Wars GBA).

esteban

Quote from: jonebone on 06/29/2016, 09:47 AMBloody Wolf is a good one, that reminds me of Contra and I'll definitely grab it.  Splatterhouse is a must but I own S2/S3 on Genesis and know all about those.  Boxy Boy seems interesting (I like Puzzle games) and I appreciate some others from your list. 

Thanks again for the advice!
Both games are nice :)

Bloody Wolf is closer to Heavy Barrel/Commando/Ikari Warriors/etc. but you can JUMP and the stage design really plays with the perspective so some segments feel like distinct (horizontally scrolling, vertically scrolling, free roaming, raft, etc.).

Anyway, it is a damn great game and has a lot of great music.

Splatterhouse is a fun little game. Change the difficulty level to increase replay value.

Also:

www.collectard.com
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Gentlegamer

Bloody Wolf is great but has two flaws:

1. Slowdown
2. Single player only

I need to go back and finish it, my game glitched out on a boss a while back and I never tried again.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 06/30/2016, 11:36 AMBloody Wolf is great but has two flaws:

1. Slowdown
2. Single player only

I need to go back and finish it, my game glitched out on a boss a while back and I never tried again.
The occasional slowdown doesn't take away from the fun!

One player campaign is fantastic!

:)

TurboXray

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 06/30/2016, 11:36 AMBloody Wolf is great but has two flaws:

1. Slowdown
2. Single player only

I love this game! Despite some of the snes-style slowdown.

TurboXray

Quote from: jonebone on 06/29/2016, 09:47 AMGentlegamer hates NA so no surprise
A lot of people hate NAage, it's just that most NAge members don't realize it because they don't frequent forums outside nintendo stuffs. That forum tends to be the feeding ground of collectards, douches, and goons.

Personally, if you game more than you collect, then you're alright in my books.

CrackTiger

1. Slowdown
2. Single player only

Would you prefer 2-player at 30fps?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Gentlegamer

Quote from: guest on 06/30/2016, 05:06 PM

1. Slowdown
2. Single player only

If that's the compromise needed during 2-player mode, sure.
IMG

Gypsy

geise

Quote from: csgx1 on 06/29/2016, 11:39 PMWelcome.

I recommend Military Madness if you like turn-based strategy games (like Advance Wars GBA).
Doh!  How did I forget to put that on my list.  Yeah it's a good one.

StarDust4Ever

Welcome Jonebone. Kosmic Stardust from NA and AA here. Don't let the roasters get you down. Yeah I'll admit the hyperinflation is a b*tch. I'm a gamer at heart so I bought a PC Henshin to complement my Turbografx and unlock the full Hucard library. It quickly paid for itself. :mrgreen:
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

CrackTiger

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 06/30/2016, 07:38 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 06/30/2016, 05:06 PM

1. Slowdown
2. Single player only

If that's the compromise needed during 2-player mode, sure.
Try the arcade version on Mame then.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

CrackTiger

Quote from: StarDust4Ever on 06/30/2016, 09:59 PMWelcome Jonebone. Kosmic Stardust from NA and AA here. Don't let the roasters get you down. Yeah I'll admit the hyperinflation is a b*tch. I'm a gamer at heart so I bought a PC Henshin to complement my Turbografx and unlock the full Hucard library. It quickly paid for itself. :mrgreen:
A Turbo Everdrive pays for itself much sooner and does less damage to the hardware and HuCards.

StarDust4Ever

Quote from: guest on 07/01/2016, 10:44 AM
Quote from: StarDust4Ever on 06/30/2016, 09:59 PMWelcome Jonebone. Kosmic Stardust from NA and AA here. Don't let the roasters get you down. Yeah I'll admit the hyperinflation is a b*tch. I'm a gamer at heart so I bought a PC Henshin to complement my Turbografx and unlock the full Hucard library. It quickly paid for itself. :mrgreen:
A Turbo Everdrive pays for itself much sooner and does less damage to the hardware and HuCards.
Yes, that was my first purchase after buying a Turbografx. Still, it is nice to have physical copies of games I enjoy playing, when the means to do so allow.

The PC-Henshin yields access to the much more affordable PC Engine library, without buying another console to add to the existing clutter (though a loose Coregrafx is certainly an affordable option as well).

However Jonebone specifically said he was interested in acquiring the original releases, CIB no less, so an import adapter is another valid option for allowing access to legit releases which may be cheaper in Japan or even never released stateside.

GoldenWheels

On the cheap side I always recommend Final Lap Twin to people. The RPG mode is really fun, you have to think about how to upgrade your car a bit (don't let your motor get too far ahead of your tires, etc), and it's not a major time investment like some rpgs. And the core racing is solid.

Oddly World Court Tennis never did it for me though.

drewbrim

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 07/01/2016, 02:48 PMOn the cheap side I always recommend Final Lap Twin to people. The RPG mode is really fun, you have to think about how to upgrade your car a bit (don't let your motor get too far ahead of your tires, etc), and it's not a major time investment like some rpgs. And the core racing is solid.

Oddly World Court Tennis never did it for me though.
Agree with most of this (I enjoyed World Court Tennis too).  And it was said already but Dungeon Explorer is awesome.  I load the it up on my phone just to listen to the music.  Other personal hu favorites would be Devils Crush and Ninja Spirit.

Once you get into scd's Ys I and II and Chi no Rondo are a must and If you enjoy Bloody Wolf then you should grab Last Alert....best voice acting in the business lol.

StarDust4Ever

Gypsy

esteban

Quote from: Gypsy on 07/02/2016, 10:54 AM
Quote from: StarDust4Ever on 07/02/2016, 01:28 AM
Quote from: ButtsniffMcNipplegrinder on 07/02/2016, 12:59 AM
Nice screenname ButtsniffMcNipplegrinder have a nice ring to it!  =D>
Smelly sock. Null maybe?
I am pretty sure it is actually the Artisanal Neo Nazi Guy (remember the TG-16 logo in plexiglass...)

Wait...Gypsy?!?!

Are *you* the Artisanal Nazi?

Pretty crafty, using a name like "Gypsy" to re-establish yourself...

Groover

I'm not sure how I feel about box collectors. The case sure but those only wanting boxed games I wonder why. I mean I like to play games. I also like a case if the game came with one. Cardboard box not so much for me. Sure I have a few I have had since I was a kid. I tried to keep them in good shape but only a few made it through the years.

I also recommend getting an everdrive and playing the games to figure out what you want to buy. Also get into CD games sooner than later.
IMG

StarDust4Ever

Quote from: Groover on 07/02/2016, 10:16 PMI'm not sure how I feel about box collectors. The case sure but those only wanting boxed games I wonder why. I mean I like to play games. I also like a case if the game came with one. Cardboard box not so much for me. Sure I have a few I have had since I was a kid. I tried to keep them in good shape but only a few made it through the years.

I also recommend getting an everdrive and playing the games to figure out what you want to buy. Also get into CD games sooner than later.
One problem the cardboard sleeve, is they are fairly tight over the case. I had some audio CDs that came in cardboard boxes over the case, and they are difficult to slide off. If I play the Cd with any regularity, the cardboard sleeve gets beat up in fairly short order. If the CIC Turbografx games were similar, then sliding the case on and off frequently would eventually tear it up. The sleeve gets torn and beat up, and it eventually goes in the garbage. I have several DVDs and BluRay cases that came in cardboard sleeves that are in rough shape or even got lost. If one is not concerned about the collectability of their movies, they probably don't care if it gets lost or beat up. I suspect the same reason why the magority of cardboard sleeves for Hucard games have not survived.

Psycho Punch

Cardboards aren't so practical for playing, esp. TTi releases since they don't really have cases to slide out of the boxes, just plastic "beds" that are ass to remove. But I leave all my hucards stacked together for easy access so I don't care.

I like boxed games but I don't like paying a premium for them. I do have Falcon, Bravoman and Sonic Spike in their boxes here, that didn't stop me from playing them (sonic spike stopped me from playing me with its awfulness but that's another story).
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp