RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Nintendo Switch Thread (previously NX)

Started by Otaking, 07/03/2016, 08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheClash603

If there are any sexual predators that want my friend code:

8141-1075-3929

esteban

THE MARIOKART HONEYPOT
Hosted by Chris Hansen

(Thanks Punch, I had completely forgotten about that.)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Flare65

Got a bonus check from work so I went out this weekend to try and find a Switch.  I didn't expect them to be sold out everywhere!  Games Stop, Best Buy, Frys, Target, Wal Mart,Toys R us, nobody has this system in stock.

What I don't understand is all of these places have tons of games and accessories for the system.  Frys in particular has about 20 copies of Mario Kart, 15 copies of Zelda, and at least 10 copies of Puyo Tetris, along with extra controllers, carrying cases, screen protectors....etc.....

Its like they made way more games and accessories than they made systems.  What gives??

You an buy them on craigslist/amazon/ebay all day long for 400 and up.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Flare65 on 05/14/2017, 11:05 PMIts like they made way more games and accessories than they made systems.  What gives??
You answered your own question:

Quote from: Flare65 on 05/14/2017, 11:05 PMYou an buy them on craigslist/amazon/ebay all day long for 400 and up. 
Flippers are flipping the system but not the games and accessories.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gredler

Nintendo seems to support a small community of people who's full time job is finding new stock of their products and then selling them on the grey market. This always seemed to be the case but became very apparent with those skills, then the new classic, and now the switch. Personally I think it's very humanitarian of them

crazydean

The Craigslist around here has the Switch for $300 with BotW. Have you check CL and Letgo in your area?

TDIRunner

Quote from: Gredler on 05/15/2017, 12:21 PMNintendo seems to support a small community of people who's full time job is finding new stock of their products and then selling them on the grey market. This always seemed to be the case but became very apparent with those skills, then the new classic, and now the switch. Personally I think it's very humanitarian of them
Creating jobs wherever they can.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

esadajr

Quote from: Flare65 on 05/14/2017, 11:05 PMGot a bonus check from work so I went out this weekend to try and find a Switch.  I didn't expect them to be sold out everywhere!  Games Stop, Best Buy, Frys, Target, Wal Mart,Toys R us, nobody has this system in stock.

What I don't understand is all of these places have tons of games and accessories for the system.  Frys in particular has about 20 copies of Mario Kart, 15 copies of Zelda, and at least 10 copies of Puyo Tetris, along with extra controllers, carrying cases, screen protectors....etc.....

Its like they made way more games and accessories than they made systems.  What gives??

You an buy them on craigslist/amazon/ebay all day long for 400 and up.
The second coming of the Wii, except grandmas are not playing this time.
Gaming since 1985

Digi.k

late night multi player action with elgato capture and mario kart 8 deluxe

TheClash603

I have put over 10 hours into the Puyo Puyo Tetris story mode and have enjoyed the hell outta it.  I know the game is on PS4 and XB1 too, so I suggest anyone that likes puzzle games should pick it up.

Flare65

Quote from: crazydean on 05/15/2017, 12:26 PMThe Craigslist around here has the Switch for $300 with BotW. Have you check CL and Letgo in your area?
Still at least 80-100 above MSRP in my area.  I'd prefer to buy new from a store when it comes to consoles....especially portable ones.

Digi.k

Quote from: TheClash603 on 05/18/2017, 08:31 AMI have put over 10 hours into the Puyo Puyo Tetris story mode and have enjoyed the hell outta it.  I know the game is on PS4 and XB1 too, so I suggest anyone that likes puzzle games should pick it up.
I'm undecided on whether to buy this again since I already have it on xbone.  That story mode is tough and some of those characters, getting 3 gold stars was making my anger rise quickly.  Online multi player is great until you meet someone who is infinitely more skilled than yourself :O

It definitely is a good title though and a great addition to the puyo library

TheClash603

Quote from: Digi.k on 05/18/2017, 12:31 PM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 05/18/2017, 08:31 AMI have put over 10 hours into the Puyo Puyo Tetris story mode and have enjoyed the hell outta it.  I know the game is on PS4 and XB1 too, so I suggest anyone that likes puzzle games should pick it up.
I'm undecided on whether to buy this again since I already have it on xbone.  That story mode is tough and some of those characters, getting 3 gold stars was making my anger rise quickly.  Online multi player is great until you meet someone who is infinitely more skilled than yourself :O

It definitely is a good title though and a great addition to the puyo library
I am not trying for all 3 star wins, there are a handful of battles where I had a hard enough time just winning.  I am up to 7-3, so I think I am nearing the end...  which is good cause I am getting beat down already.

sirhcman

I don't know how this game missed my radar for Xbox One but I am glad you mentioned it. I just picked up a copy on play-asia for $33 shipped! :)

esadajr

But, but you can't take the XB1/PS4 to the throne  :P
Gaming since 1985

PukeSter

Quote from: esadajr on 05/19/2017, 09:11 AM
But, but you can't take the XB1/PS4 to the throne  :P
Don't get poo on it!

BigusSchmuck

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe rocks. Can't believe how good this is. Makes you wonder if we will see some more Wii U ports..

Winniez

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 05/19/2017, 02:58 PMMario Kart 8 Deluxe rocks. Can't believe how good this is. Makes you wonder if we will see some more Wii U ports..
Mario Kart 8 had like 70% attach rate with WiiU. I'm fairly sure we will see more enchanced WiiU ports. A slate of quality software that relative few people got to experience.

TDIRunner

Quote from: Winniez on 05/19/2017, 03:37 PMMario Kart 8 had like 70% attach rate with WiiU. I'm fairly sure we will see more enchanced WiiU ports. A slate of quality software that relative few people got to experience.
Although with less than 15 million Wii Us sold, that 70% attach rate still leaves MK8 as the 3rd worst selling Mario Kart game (behind Super Circuit and Double Dash!!).  I think that's the main reason why Nintendo can get away with releasing a Deluxe version of MK8 instead of an all new game....... for the majority of gamers out there, it is an all new game.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

NecroPhile

They can "get away with it" because people are suckers and it's not like there's a robust library from which to pick something else.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

I legit forgot I bought a switch until I knocked it over yesterday, lol.

I should use that maybe.

I was playing BOTW with girlfriend when it came out but then I kicked her out because shes a stupid cunt, so I haven't touched it since.

lol ayyyyyy.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Digi.k

Quote from: guest on 05/19/2017, 06:54 PMI legit forgot I bought a switch until I knocked it over yesterday, lol.

I should use that maybe.

I was playing BOTW with girlfriend when it came out but then I kicked her out because shes a stupid cunt, so I haven't touched it since.

lol ayyyyyy.
now now it's times to kiss and make up :o

IMG

wildfruit

So this dropped through the letterbox today. Only had a short time to play, first impressions, A decent revamp, controls well , looks & sounds good. Capcom thumbs up. IMG

TDIRunner

I love how they call it "The Final Challengers."  Almost like saying, this is the last time we are going to come out with a new version of SFII........ seriously......... we promise this time....... pinky swear....... please buy our game again.

Digi.k

ARMS beta testing is happening only for very limited time and on certain days!

getting used to those motion controls
IMG
IMG

esteban

I know folks have said this before...but:

Beraboman.

amirite?

Digi.k

Quote from: esteban on 05/27/2017, 03:19 AMI know folks have said this before...but:

Beraboman.

amirite?
oo I forgot about him!  was concentrating more on Virtual On play styles...

oh and if anyone was struggling like I was for the first 5 minutes trying to remove the straps on the joy cons...
also this story arc I was waiting to see if there was going to be any reference to a certain japanese software/hardware company..                                :/

IMG

Gredler

This thing keeps coming up, but I wonder what the difference this is between any other hedset - one cord for game audio out and one for voice audio in, but this thing disassembles so it's super crazy different and shocking?

The whole idea of a separate device for chatting has not changed, and was always going to be an issue; maybe seeing it in design makes it more real and suddenly makes it feel worse than expected? I expected it to be a cumbersome solution having audio in go to phone and audio out come from the system. So when I saw this I was thinking it seemed weird that this device can disassemble otherwise it's identical to any other headset but with the added encoring step of a second device to plug into which we all knew they were planning on.

TheClash603

The headphones cover the whole ears, they aren't a light cover over one ear.  When playing in docked mode when you are not near the system and will be using the phone for chat and TV speakers for game audio, it seems like a poor solution.  Seems like it will be fine for handheld mode, assuming you don't have a much better set of headphones.

I wonder if you can open the chat app and keep it on speaker phone sitting near you?  No headphones or mic required.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: Gredler on 06/02/2017, 02:16 PMThis thing keeps coming up, but I wonder what the difference this is between any other hedset - one cord for game audio out and one for voice audio in, but this thing disassembles so it's super crazy different and shocking?

The whole idea of a separate device for chatting has not changed, and was always going to be an issue; maybe seeing it in design makes it more real and suddenly makes it feel worse than expected? I expected it to be a cumbersome solution having audio in go to phone and audio out come from the system. So when I saw this I was thinking it seemed weird that this device can disassemble otherwise it's identical to any other headset but with the added encoring step of a second device to plug into which we all knew they were planning on.
I only chat while gaming at home, where I have one cord to the controller for voice. I listen to the game audio through the TV or surround.

How many people are actually going to want to chat while playing mobile. No one around you, be it the family on a trip, or random folks on public transit, or anywhere else wants to listen to you talk to yourself, going apeshit, playing a game.

It will be even worse than people who walk around talking to themselves with a Bluetooth headset. And that's pretty fucking annoying.

Then there's clash's point... Who wants to deal with their phone and an app to chat when playing at home?

Dicer

OK so finally I got a switch...

I need a recommend on a $20 or less game.

I have so far

ARMS, came with it, I really dig it, even thought it can be frustrating at times.
Shantae 1/2 Genie hero, it's Shantae so of course it's good.
Minecraft, Cause I have autism and I like digging holes (one or both of those statements are true or false)

I want the dragons trap remake but I hear it's really short, so that can wait.

My top choices right now.

Thumper
Fast RMX
Graceful Explosion Machine

Mathius

Get Fast RMX! It's basically F-Zero Mixed with Wipeout and is great fun!

Also any of the NeoGeo games for on-the-go play.

Dicer

Quote from: Mathius on 06/25/2017, 06:10 PMGet Fast RMX! It's basically F-Zero Mixed with Wipeout and is great fun!

Also any of the NeoGeo games for on-the-go play.
I bit on snake pass, my kid did the old RNG and it got picked.

I will grab FAST and neo games for sure, just later on.

Love the system, it's comfy for me to use, which is a benefit, the joycon fit well in my hands.

wildfruit

I'm going against the grain here, I've become very tired of breath of the wild. Sure it looks very nice but I find it becomes very tedious. Don't like all the cooking and the expiring weapons. Really loving blaster master zero right now.

esteban

Quote from: wildfruit on 07/21/2017, 08:32 AMI'm going against the grain here, I've become very tired of breath of the wild. Sure it looks very nice but I find it becomes very tedious. Don't like all the cooking and the expiring weapons. Really loving blaster master zero right now.
Wait until you get to the Parappa the Rappa-inspired segments at the entrance to Ganon's Lair.

Lots of "practice" and training are required before the three judges (they provide immediate feedback that you must incorporate into your subsequent singing/rapping "trial") will let you perform for Ganon.

wildfruit

Got this today. Was cheaper ordering from amazon us than the digital download. Only took a week to arrive from the colonies.
IMG

esadajr

What's in the disk?

Have fond memories of the PC version.
Gaming since 1985

wildfruit

Quote from: esadajr on 07/27/2017, 11:07 AMWhat's in the disk?

Have fond memories of the PC version.
Some sort of sound track cd. I haven't given it a whirl yet.

Gredler

I also picked it up, and have been swapping between it and I am Setsuna. I am seriously considering Splatoon just to check out what they're doing graphically with the hardware. The fluid simulation particle effects and nice liquidy (although opaque "ink") shaders look really interesting; the solid color shading on the ink must help, but I really am curious about how it "feels" while playing; but there is no demo so maybe I'll bite and resell it if I don't enjoy the gameplay. Is anyone playing? If so - did you play the old one, and do you typically enjoy online multiplayer competitive games?

xcrement5x

Quote from: wildfruit on 07/21/2017, 08:32 AMI'm going against the grain here, I've become very tired of breath of the wild. Sure it looks very nice but I find it becomes very tedious. Don't like all the cooking and the expiring weapons. Really loving blaster master zero right now.
Yeah, my wife and I started this recently and am enjoying it but the cooking is kind of a pain I agree.  I'd don't mind the breaking weapons as much since there's no reason to combat for the most and I normally have a full array of decent weapons, then a hammer/korok in reserve as well. 

Dicer

Splatoon 2 is a blast, only gripes atm are people not knowing WTF they are doing (splat 1 had that at the get go as well) and well, the chat solution, but it looks like we will have a nice little discord thing going for when we decide to team up.

Other than the minor things game is fun and the  joycons feel great when playing this.

Also if you are debating on ARMS just get it!!! It's one of those easy to learn/hard to master types and well worth playing.

TheClash603

Quote from: Dicer on 07/29/2017, 12:43 PMSplatoon 2 is a blast, only gripes atm are people not knowing WTF they are doing (splat 1 had that at the get go as well) and well, the chat solution, but it looks like we will have a nice little discord thing going for when we decide to team up.

Other than the minor things game is fun and the  joycons feel great when playing this.

Also if you are debating on ARMS just get it!!! It's one of those easy to learn/hard to master types and well worth playing.
Splatoon 2 has been my primary game the last week, I have put a handful of hours into it.  Can't wait til I get the guns I actually want, grinding time.

ARMS is meh.

Gredler

I never played the first splatoon, but I picked up this second one to see what it was like.

I played a couple hours last night and got to level 5, it's pretty fun so far.

xcrement5x

Quote from: TheClash603 on 08/01/2017, 08:25 AM
Quote from: Dicer on 07/29/2017, 12:43 PMSplatoon 2 is a blast, only gripes atm are people not knowing WTF they are doing (splat 1 had that at the get go as well) and well, the chat solution, but it looks like we will have a nice little discord thing going for when we decide to team up.

Splatoon 2 has been my primary game the last week, I have put a handful of hours into it.  Can't wait til I get the guns I actually want, grinding time.

ARMS is meh.
I'm pretty sure most people just play ARMS to look at Twintelle's (sp?) butt.

wildfruit

Has anyone tasted their games? Is this just a huge myth being perpetuated that they taste bad. I just tried eating the 3 games I have and couldn't taste anything.

esteban

Quote from: wildfruit on 08/04/2017, 05:52 AMHas anyone tasted their games? Is this just a huge myth being perpetuated that they taste bad. I just tried eating the 3 games I have and couldn't taste anything.
It is common for manufacturers to make medicine "taste bad" (bitter) or smell ("gas") as a public health precaution. Kids will hopefully spit out bitter-tasting aspirin/medicine instead of ingesting it. Colorless, odorless (and deadly) gasses can be identified by distinct odors....

Similarly, I believe that plastics can be treated to, hopefully, ward off youngsters from using a USB drive as a pacifier.

I think Nintendo is pretty kool for doing this, I think more companies should consider doing it if it doesn't affect the performance/longevity of an item.

My kids, for example, found my headphones and chewed them (destroying them). I don't know if a bitter-tasting headphone would have stopped them or saved my headphones, but it would have been nice to find out....

:)

TheClash603

Quote from: esteban on 08/04/2017, 06:19 AM
Quote from: wildfruit on 08/04/2017, 05:52 AMHas anyone tasted their games? Is this just a huge myth being perpetuated that they taste bad. I just tried eating the 3 games I have and couldn't taste anything.
It is common for manufacturers to make medicine "taste bad" (bitter) or smell ("gas") as a public health precaution. Kids will hopefully spit out bitter-tasting aspirin/medicine instead of ingesting it. Colorless, odorless (and deadly) gasses can be identified by distinct odors....

Similarly, I believe that plastics can be treated to, hopefully, ward off youngsters from using a USB drive as a pacifier.

I think Nintendo is pretty kool for doing this, I think more companies should consider doing it if it doesn't affect the performance/longevity of an item.

My kids, for example, found my headphones and chewed them (destroying them). I don't know if a bitter-tasting headphone would have stopped them or saved my headphones, but it would have been nice to find out....

:)
There is definitely a taste there, but I think the bitter taste isn't nearly as bad as those videos of people putting them in their mouths online will have you believe.  The internet has a way of forcing hyperbole.

...just ask my 18 inch dick.

esteban

Yeah, I wonder how bitter it actually is.

Bitter world, meet bitter cart.