RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

So I finally finished Neutopia

Started by neopolss, 08/17/2016, 11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neopolss

It only took me a good 15 years or so to get around to it, but I finally finished this damn game.  I figured I would offer my thoughts on this title.
  • Great music, I loved all of the tracks.
  • Fire wand is badass.  I abused the shit out of it.
  • Jumping enemies can suck a dick!  I hated getting hit from the top of the screen even when they werent on the same plane as me.
  • Having a shop to buy my potions and bombs would have been better than bombing cave doors all the damn time
  • Seriously, npcs have the most worthless things to say.
  • The game had great bosses.  I enjoyed kicking the crap out of all of them.

CrackTiger

Possibly my favorite "Zelda" style game.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NoSexGex

For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

grolt

I always really liked the presentation and layout of the game. How you'd go back to that main palace to save/warp/talk to the lady. Just felt nicely organized into worlds and an epic quest. The not being able to go diagonal thing was a real tough thing to get used to. Heard they fixed that in the sequel and I finally just found a copy so I am interested in checking it out. But yeah, agree with all the above points. Neutopia is just a nice charming Zelda clone, and for my money, like Golden Axe Warrior on the SMS, it does Zelda better than Zelda.
I'm a notorious strange man.

Gentlegamer

Quote from: neopolss on 08/17/2016, 11:15 PMIt only took me a good 15 years or so to get around to it, but I finally finished this damn game.  I figured I would offer my thoughts on this title.
  • Great music, I loved all of the tracks.
  • Fire wand is badass.  I abused the shit out of it.
  • Jumping enemies can suck a dick!  I hated getting hit from the top of the screen even when they werent on the same plane as me.
  • Having a shop to buy my potions and bombs would have been better than bombing cave doors all the damn time
  • Seriously, npcs have the most worthless things to say.
  • The game had great bosses.  I enjoyed kicking the crap out of all of them.
Did you use passwords, memory, or emulation save states?
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

NecroPhile

Neutopia's a nice one to finally beat, but now ya gotta beat Neutopia II!

I love using the wands to push jerks around the screen, turning around to pin 'em up against a wall and still in range 'til they're dead.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

It is a fun game. When I revisit it, I am going to play I and II black to back....something I never did.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

PukeSter

I prefer 2 overall, due to an interconnected world, more fun mechanics and the improved graphics. The fire wand is a bit glitchy but the other magics work well.

I liked the dungeons that didn't have anything but a boss. The amoeba was cool.

Not as many walls to bomb either...but too many block puzzles.

In all honesty, my favorite "Zelda" on the PC engine is Ys IV. The escherspace was mind blowing, and an unforgettable final boss.

blueraven

Well done.

Still looking for a loose huey to do the same.

spenoza

Awesome except for one thing... the hit behavior on the fire wand. If you turn around as the projectile hits an enemy, it zooms toward you instead of away from you.

neopolss

I played it with memory save on my Duo.

I really had an issue with the enemies being able to hit you when they were jumping but not technically on the same plane.  It seemed a little lazy, especially when they leave a shadow to indicate their position.

I destroyed the centipede boss and the turtle boss in seconds by spamming multiple fire wands up close.  Pretty epic.

I agree with whoever mentioned bombing walls.  Almost every screen, pretty silly.  Usually just to get some idiot villager to spout random garbage about their life before the Dirth.

I look forwrd to playing the sequel.

crazydean

Quote from: neopolss on 08/18/2016, 11:33 PMI look forwrd to playing the sequel.
Think it'll take another 15 years?

ccovell

By the way, my page here has basically full maps to both Neutopia games: https://www.chrismcovell.com/gamesillust.html

IMG

jonebone

I beat it about a month ago and enjoyed it.  Music seemed better than the sequel, though the sequel gameplay felt a bit better.

Overall, I'd give Neutopia about a 7.5 or 8/10.  Got repetitive towards the end, especially sphere 4.  Also way too much bombing, but there's more of that in the sequel too.

NightWolve

Quote from: ccovell on 08/19/2016, 04:04 AMBy the way, my page here has basically full maps to both Neutopia games: https://www.chrismcovell.com/gamesillust.html

IMG
Wowser, you did a lot of grunt work for all that!!!

Gentlegamer

Quote from: ccovell on 08/19/2016, 04:04 AMBy the way, my page here has basically full maps to both Neutopia games: https://www.chrismcovell.com/gamesillust.html

IMG
Get the power! OBEY Power!
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

blueraven

Quote from: blueraven on 08/18/2016, 02:06 PMWell done.

Still looking for a loose huey to do the same.
Thanks again to the person who recently sold me a copy. I spent two hours with it on Sunday for the first time in years; I've never actually had my own copy. :mrgreen: I was blown away by the color, and because I was running my PCE standalone I had to do something I haven't done in awhile: write down a code. I miss games like this. Next weekend, I'm going to make a serious run at it.

An awesome game all the way around, I just wish you could turn off the beep when your health gets too low. :D

schweaty

Do yourself a favor and take a picture of the code with ur phone.  Makes life a little easier

esteban

Hudson was planning SUPER NEUTOPIA for SUPER NINTENDO, but cancelled the project.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Dicer

Quote from: esteban on 10/04/2016, 04:54 PMHudson was planning SUPER NEUTOPIA for SUPER NINTENDO, but cancelled the project.
Good...

The burn of never getting part 3 on SUPER CD, it still hurts.

schweaty

Quote from: Dicer on 10/04/2016, 07:06 PM
Quote from: esteban on 10/04/2016, 04:54 PMHudson was planning SUPER NEUTOPIA for SUPER NINTENDO, but cancelled the project.
Good...

The burn of never getting part 3 on SUPER CD, it still hurts.
Is it 199x yet?

o.pwuaioc

No man forgets the scars he earned in the Console Wars.

blueraven

Quote from: schweaty on 10/04/2016, 11:39 AMDo yourself a favor and take a picture of the code with ur phone.  Makes life a little easier
...sometimes even the most obvious thing can escape you. In this case, my smartphone.

IMG
:shock: =D> Chris, this is awesome, thank you for putting the effort into this!! I'm going to run though the game blind on the first run ...but now I'm tempted to use your maps as reference. I probably will hack through it though because I am stubborn as hell.  :mrgreen:

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: schweaty on 10/04/2016, 11:39 AMDo yourself a favor and take a picture of the code with ur phone.  Makes life a little easier
This goes for all games that require a code. On the other hand, I might still make my kids write down the codes, so they can fondly look over their terrible handwriting and warm memories later in life.

NightWolve

Quote from: guest on 10/04/2016, 11:57 PMOn the other hand, I might still make my kids write down the codes, so they can fondly look over their terrible handwriting and warm memories later in life.
Old skool! Yep, they'll thank you for it later. ;)