Awesome games that are cheap ($10 or less)

Started by DeshDildo, 08/21/2016, 08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeshDildo

So one of my friends and I are planning a new video featuring great/fun games that can be purchased for $10 or less.  With today's market I thought it would be really hard to come up with a few but I think a few videos could be made on the subject.  I'm trying to limit it to 128bit and older games.  We are picking 3 each to cover and review.

My tentative list at this point is: Air Fortress (NES), Kabuki Quantum Fighter (NES) and Streets of Rage 2 (Feka Genocide).

I know we had a thread similar to this a year or two ago but wanted to get opinions and have y'all talk about your favorite cheap games.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

sirhcman

Hey Desh! Here are a few off the top of my head (I will edit as I think of more):

NES
Abadox
Batman
Gun Smoke
Nintendo World Cup
Rock N Ball

SNES
F-Zero
Gradius III
Super Star Wars

Nintendo 64
Blast Corps
Jet Force Gemini
Perfect Dark

Playstation
Croc 2
RC De Go

Xbox
Ninja Gaiden Black
Panzer Dragoon Orta

Good luck with the video, I look forward to watching the final product!!

esteban

I am clueless on current prices, but my vote for bargain-priced, awesome games goes to Magical Chase (Gameboy), Magical Chase (PC) and Magical Chase (PCE).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TheClash603

90% of old fighting games can be found cheap, you could essentially play fighting games for less than $10 for eternity if that was a genre you were into.

Gypsy

Last Gladiators
A Puyo Puyo game (so many to pick from) but I'd say Puyo Puyo CD for PCE or Puyo Puyo 2 for Saturn.
Super Mario World or Super Mario Collection (Collection = Allstars, talking SFC here of course, US prices can eff off)

DeshDildo

I like your list Siracha!  I added comments

NES
Abadox- (I know I used to own it and played it but got rid of it.  Perhaps I should give it another shot)

Batman - This is on of the best deals on the platform IMHO.  I didn't include it in my original list because it is so well known and I was going to try and bring up a couple titles people might pass on because of the name or artwork.  I broke that rule with SOR2 being on my list but seriously that game is a masterpiece and anyone that owns a Genesis should have a copy (there is certainly no excuse be ause it's cheap too).  Also, I think this game also helped persuade me to pick Kabuki Quantam Fighter.  KQF is so similar in playstyle to Batman with some additional features. 

Gun Smoke - Awesome friggin game.  I figured it woukd be over the $10 threshold these days but I'll have to double check.

Nintendo World Cup - I don't know that I've ever played this, never been a huge fan of aoccer games but I should at least give it a wirl.

Rock N Ball - I have only recently gotten an appreciation for video pinball (I like Alien and Devil's Crush) but have been playing a crap ton of Sonic Spinball with my son recently.

SNES
F-Zero - Good game
Gradius III - Great game
Super Star Wars - Good game with a high frustration level

Nintendo 64 - These 3 were all on a tentative N64 list I have going

Blast Corps - Majorly fun overlooked game.  I know this was a very early title but I don't remember if it was a launch title or not.  My friend that got N64 launch day had this early on and it was actually the first N64 game I ever played.

Jet Force Gemini - I personally haven't put alot of time into this game but what I played was good and I remember a friend talking about it a lot when it was new.

Perfect Dark - Gokdeneye 1.5 nuff said.

Playstation
Croc 2 - I remember Croc being fun there are just very few 3D platformers I ever fell in love with

RC De Go - Never heard of it.  Mist check it out.

Xbox - Totally unfamiliar with OG XBOX stuff (besides Morrowind).  I need to delve into it one of these days
Ninja Gaiden Black
Panzer Dragoon Orta
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

sirhcman

Quote from: Gypsy on 08/22/2016, 09:37 AMLast Gladiators
Good call, I was struggling with a good Saturn game to put on the list that wasn't super common

QuoteAbadox- (I know I used to own it and played it but got rid of it.  Perhaps I should give it another shot)
It is a really good game (but difficult). Natsume was the developer but I think it gets passed over since Milton Bradley published and put their name on the front of the box. I haven't played it in awhile but I believe the music was pretty good and the graphics are really good for the era!

QuoteNintendo World Cup - I don't know that I've ever played this
Its the Kunio Kun soccer game with the Nintendo name on it

QuoteRock N Ball - I have only recently gotten an appreciation for video pinball (I like Alien and Devil's Crush) but have been playing a crap ton of Sonic Spinball with my son recently.
This one has a neat 2 player mode that is like hockey pinball.. I think this one gets overlooked because of the terrible box art as well

Ninja Gaiden Black and Panzer Dragoon Orta are two of the best games over any era of consoles! You are doing yourself a disservice by not experiencing them!

Gypsy

Xbox has lots of cheap goodies.

Gun Valkyrie
KOTOR
Capcom Classics Vol 1 (Vol 2 is great too, but more money)
Blinx
Blinx 2
Buffy games (there are two)
Darkwatch
Jade Empire
Tork
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath

The two that hcman suggested are good as well.

Some might not be the best games eva but for the prices they typically command they are well worth picking up and playing imo.

Not exactly sure of current prices on these but I'd bet most are easily $10 or less. I actually just did $20 in trade (could have bought at that price) within the last month to pick up KOTOR and Cap Classics so that checks out I think. :D

Edit: The controls in Gun Valkyrie can be a little frustrating at first iirc but once you get used to them it's not too bad.

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gentlegamer

This is how you make the prices go up.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 08/22/2016, 11:02 AMThis is how you make the prices go up.
*If* you have a popular channel, then yes.

:)

wiseau

Quote from: Desh on 08/21/2016, 08:19 PMI'm trying to limit it to 128bit and older games.  We are picking 3 each to cover and review.
So every video game console in existence then?

DeshDildo

Quote from: esteban on 08/22/2016, 11:18 AM
Quote from: Gentlegamer on 08/22/2016, 11:02 AMThis is how you make the prices go up.
*If* you have a popular channel, then yes.

:)
No worries there then.

esteban

CrackTiger

Japanese Sega Saturn:

Virtua Fighter
Virtua Fighter Remix
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Fighter Kids
Fighters Megamix
Fighting Vipers
Last Bronx
Dead or Alive
Street Fighter Zeros
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Savior
X-Men COTA
X-Men vs Street Fighter
Mavel Super Heroes
Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter

Super Puzzle Fighter II

Virtua Cops
House of the Dead

Sega Rallys
Daytonas
Sonic R
Wipeout

Gun Griffons
Burning Rangers
Panzer Dragoons
Tomb Raiders
Die Hard Arcade
NiGHTS/Christmas'

Worldwide Soccer '97
Decathlete
Winter Heat

Sonic Jam
Capcom Generations

Shining Wisdom
Shining the Holy Ark
Shining Force III's
Story of Thor
Tengai Makyou The Apocalypse IV
Falcom Classics 1 & 2 (Ys)
Panzer Dragoon Azel
Magic Knight Rayearth
Lunars

Lots of these are actually awesome games that are <$1.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 08/22/2016, 02:13 PMLots of these are actually awesome games that are <$1.
Not sure where you are finding these for less than a buck but if you are responding to my comment about under $10 Saturn games I was referring to US games

xcrement5x

Finding decent US Saturn games for under $10 seems like a tall order anymore if you're buying online and including shipping.  If you do it's normally a sports game or something, or the case is trashed. 

There are exceptions though I think: Daytona USA is still pretty cheap I think, so are some of the pinball games and light shooter/action games where you drive a plane/tank/thingamajig.

JoshTurboTrollX

Brutal Legend on Xbox360 is nearly free at local GameSlops.

and it's a really fun game with a bitchin' soundtrack.  :)
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

GaijinD

I wasn't 100% sold on Brutal Legend's gameplay, but I have to say that any time I got to just cruise around listening to metal I was glad I got the game. All the cameos from famous performers were fun, too. I especially liked Ozzy as the guy that upgrades your car.
Feel like a treasure game on a rainy day.

Speedy

Mobile Suit Gundam for Saturn is good fun. It's under $10 on eBay & Amazon and at Japanese thrift stores it's 100 yen (at least that's what the Hard-Off sticker says on my copy :P). Virtual-On is pretty good as well. The price for US copies has shot up but you can still import it for cheap.

TR0N

Quote from: Speedy on 08/24/2016, 07:14 PMMobile Suit Gundam for Saturn is good fun. It's under $10 on eBay & Amazon and at Japanese thrift stores it's 100 yen (at least that's what the Hard-Off sticker says on my copy :P). Virtual-On is pretty good as well. The price for US copies has shot up but you can still import it for cheap.
Ditto virtual-on is still dirt cheap no matter what version you buy.I myself still have the netlink edition of the game.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

bartre

90% of the PS3 library is still sub $10.

the gungrave games on PS2 were awesome, if a little janky at times.
Shinobi 3 on genesis CAN be had for cheap.

the JSRF/Sega GT xbox pack in is nearly always $1
come to think of it, the xbox is kinda the awesome system to grab for right now:
Otogi 1/2
Gunvalkyrie
Halo 1/2
Painkiller
Chronicles of Riddick
Breakdown

xcrement5x

Quote from: bartre on 08/29/2016, 02:37 PM90% of the PS3 library is still sub $10.

come to think of it, the xbox is kinda the awesome system to grab for right now:
Otogi 1/2
Gunvalkyrie
Halo 1/2
Painkiller
Chronicles of Riddick
Breakdown
Xbox really is pretty cheap to get into at this point.  I think the number of games that crack more than like $20 is like maybe 30 or so, with like less than a dozen that are even over $50.  System is filled with PC ports, but Sega did some nice exclusives and there are a number of really cool original games. 

Gypsy

Quote from: bartre on 08/29/2016, 02:37 PM90% of the PS3 library is still sub $10.

Otogi 1/2
Gunvalkyrie
Halo 1/2
Painkiller
Chronicles of Riddick
Breakdown
More or less correct. I have loads of good games for PS3 and many were $5 and less.

Nothing more for me to add about Xbox but I will agree with all the games you mentioned. Except Breakdown, which I didn't know about. Looks sweet, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

bartre

Quote from: guest on 08/29/2016, 02:53 PMXbox really is pretty cheap to get into at this point.  I think the number of games that crack more than like $20 is like maybe 30 or so, with like less than a dozen that are even over $50.  System is filled with PC ports, but Sega did some nice exclusives and there are a number of really cool original games. 
yeah, and I can't really think of any of the higher dollar xbox games that are even worth it aside from Psychonauts (though idk about the value anymore) and Stubbs the Zombie (and metal wolf chaos if you're into imports)

anything else is kinda dumb or readily available on PC in a better form (like a lot better)

Galder