Forum Registration/Profile New Field Additions - Comments/Suggestions Welcome.

Started by NightWolve, 09/02/2016, 06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightWolve

I added a bunch more fields to our PCEFX profiles/accounts to allow for more information about members to be present as typically is available on other forums. It'll also be useful for us mods in the occasional registration approval/pruning as the more info a user provides, like real Facebook profile, the easier it'd be to approve or reject a registration attempt. Before, all a user could enter was email address and username, which didn't give you much info to go on as far as differentiating between spammers and what not.

So, here are the new fields (I already filled in my profile for example):

Biography
Tell us about yourself in 512 characters or less.

Facebook URL
Your Facebook URL

Twitter URL
Your Twitter URL.

Favorite Books
What are your favorite books?

Favorite Films/Shows
What are your favorite movies/shows?

Favorite Games
What are your favorite videogames?

Favorite Music
What are your favorite groups or solo artists?

Interests
What do you like to learn about or do, any noteworthy hobbies?

Occupation
What's your job?

Well, that's what I came up with. But yeah, if you have ideas on more, or if something can be reworded better, lemme know. Another little helpful tweak that PCEFX can use I think, so wanna make the best of it. :)

blueraven

Awesome, NightWolve. Bringing us into the 21st century! :mrgreen:

Only addition.. Maybe A field for Instagram and Snapchat? Not as big as FB and Twitter, but I keep seeing more and more retrogame stuff each time I log into my accounts. Most of the tech ppl I've spoken with in the SF Bay Area have told me that Instagram is more important than a resume now.

(and that Snapchat is great even though you have to filter through bullshit and dick pics)

Thanks again for your improvements to the site!

Psycho Punch

Cool, hopefully this will remove the need of registering with nicknames such as "LETMEINPLEASE". :lol:

Just add a notice in the registration page so people know that filling that kind of info helps in filtering out spam accounts.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Gentlegamer

If I were a mod I would reject anyone who put a Facebook or Twitter profile that wasn't clearly fake.

Web 1.0 rules: doxxing yourself is the dumbest thing you can ever do
IMG

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NecroPhile

The only thing I look at is if it's a duplicate account and ip origin to keep an eye out for lots of new comrades (most spammers come from Russia and former Soviet countries); and as far as I can tell, NW is doing even less vetting, not even making them reply to an activation email.

That's not to say I'm against more options for people to add to their profiles.  Y'all can share whatever you want..... as long as it's not dick pics or the like.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 09/02/2016, 08:44 PMIf I were a mod I would reject anyone who put a Facebook or Twitter profile that wasn't clearly fake.

lol "doxxing". OH MY GOD, now everyone will know I have beaten Falcon twice on an actual Turbo Duo. Shameful and triggering.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:

NightWolve

Quote from: NecroPhile on 09/06/2016, 10:52 AMThe only thing I look at is if it's a duplicate account and ip origin to keep an eye out for lots of new comrades (most spammers come from Russia and former Soviet countries); and as far as I can tell, NW is doing even less vetting, not even making them reply to an activation email.
I deleted/cleaned up tons of 'em actually, that were left behind from months back. But good point, there are 2 sections "Awaiting Approval (7)" versus "Awaiting Activation (6)" that I notice now indicating the accounts in activation haven't replied to the email [yet]. I only saw one column lit up when I started looking at registrations and thought that's after email activation. So I wondered why nothing had been done about those, I see.

As far as vetting, the few I did activate when I was in the mood, I looked up the IPs to see if they mapped to a home ISP (like 'Green') and what not when the user/email combo didn't look too believable/serious. Don't see too many new ones filling in the new fields yet though...

NecroPhile

I'd been giving the 'awaiting activation' peeps 90 days to check back in from the activation email.  I'd delete registrations older than 90 days around the first of each month, figuring they'd either used a fake email address or lost interest by then.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

blueraven

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 09/06/2016, 01:27 PM
Quote from: Gentlegamer on 09/02/2016, 08:44 PMIf I were a mod I would reject anyone who put a Facebook or Twitter profile that wasn't clearly fake.

lol "doxxing". OH MY GOD, now everyone will know I have beaten Falcon twice on an actual Turbo Duo. Shameful and triggering.
:lol: Punch for the win.

Gentlegamer

Go ahead and put your real name and employer on that so everyone can properly congratulate you.
IMG

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 09/13/2016, 11:11 AM

Go ahead and put your real name and employer on that so everyone can properly congratulate you.
Implying anyone gives a shit about me to do anything with it. :lol:

"Hello sir, I would like to let you know that one of your employees has an account on PCEFX.com. Yes, it's just that. Thank you."

I'm in more danger having my name printed on the yellow pages.