RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Soft Resetting the PC Engine Duo?

Started by mj9123456, 09/21/2016, 06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mj9123456

Hi. This is something I've been wondering about for a while: When playing a CD game on my Duo, if I want to play a different game, is it better to soft reset the system (by simultaneously pressing Select and Run), and then inserting a new game and pressing Run, or is it better to completely power down the system and turn it back on? Sometimes when I soft reset a CD game, there's a minor sort of popping/crackling sound (from the TV, not the Duo itself), so I didn't know if it was bad for the system in any way.

Thanks for your help.

NecroPhile

Decades of experience without issues says the soft reset is fine, but note there's a handful of games that have it disabled.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

crazydean

Quote from: guest on 09/21/2016, 09:25 AMDecades of experience without issues says the soft reset is fine, but note there's a handful of games that have it disabled.
I have noticed that soft reset doesn't work with all games, but I didn't know why. Thanks for pointing that out.

mj9123456

Thanks a lot for your help, Necromancer and crazydean.

SignOfZeta

Sometimes if you soft reset the system when the sound chip is doing something it will get stuck making that sound partially. That's probably what you are hearing. It usually goes away when the next game loads. If not, it will after a power cycle.
IMG

mj9123456

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 09/21/2016, 10:15 AMSometimes if you soft reset the system when the sound chip is doing something it will get stuck making that sound partially. That's probably what you are hearing. It usually goes away when the next game loads. If not, it will after a power cycle.
Yeah, that seems to be what I've experienced. Thanks a lot for your input.

wildfruit

Quote from: guest on 09/21/2016, 09:25 AMDecades of experience without issues says the soft reset is fine, but note there's a handful of games that have it disabled.
Damn Ys III

SavagePencil

Is the soft reset built into the machine (like the SMS Pause button directly wired into an NMI), or were all games just required to implement it?

Dicer

Soft reset is both the best and worst thing at the same time...I can't count how many times I rage soft reset...

:-({|=

Gypsy

Quote from: Dicer on 09/21/2016, 04:02 PMSoft reset is both the best and worst thing at the same time...I can't count how many times I rage soft reset...

Preach on man.

NecroPhile

Heh, 'tis good to hear I'm not the only one to rage reset.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

SavagePencil

Some of us know how to handle our weapons without having them accidentally discharge  [-(

TurboXray

Quote from: SavagePencil on 09/21/2016, 11:33 AMIs the soft reset built into the machine (like the SMS Pause button directly wired into an NMI), or were all games just required to implement it?
It's just a software thing. NEC or Hudson probably required it early on for all games to support, but no - it's not a hardware thing.

blueraven

Quote from: guest on 09/21/2016, 06:28 PMHeh, 'tis good to hear I'm not the only one to rage reset.
I do this shit every time I fuck up on a 1cc run.

It's like NEC built a failsafe so people wouldn't throw their consoles out the window.

jtucci31

Quote from: blueraven on 09/21/2016, 11:50 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/21/2016, 06:28 PMHeh, 'tis good to hear I'm not the only one to rage reset.

It's like NEC built a failsafe so people wouldn't throw their consoles out the window.
I do as well. It's a bit cathartic after a shit run to have the ability to end it.

blueraven

Quote from: guest on 09/22/2016, 12:02 AM
Quote from: blueraven on 09/21/2016, 11:50 PM

I do as well. It's a bit cathartic after a shit run to have the ability to end it.
YES. YOU UNDERSTAND.

geise

Quote from: Dicer on 09/21/2016, 04:02 PMSoft reset is both the best and worst thing at the same time...I can't count how many times I rage soft reset...

LOL!  Holy hell I have done this so far into certain games only to leave the room rage quitting from my own idiocy.