PC Engine CITY Podcast (10 year anniversary!)

Started by esteban, 09/24/2016, 06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

PC Engine City Podcast (10 year anniversary!)

LISTEN AGAIN (or for the first time)!

It is hard to believe that it was over a decade ago that sunteam_paul shared this with us... AND THIS WAS EPISODE #14.

PC-Engine City Podcast #14 (09.18.06)

IMG

NOTE: My interwebz has been unreliable so I was delving into old stuff to listen to and BAM! It's been a few years since I have listened to PC Engine City Podcast. Or *wibble*, for that matter.

ALSO: Sadly, the original banners for episodes #1-18 were lost to the ethernet. :(

PEDANTRY: I guess the podcast actually started 11 years ago, but I am celebrating the 10-year anniversary of episode #14. So, suckle on that, pedants.

CHALLENGE: Can you solve the Mystery Sound Challenge without cheating? I bet you are going to cheat. You bastard.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

spenoza

Quote from: esteban on 09/24/2016, 06:49 AMPEDANTRY: I guess the podcast actually started 11 years ago, but I am celebrating the 10-year anniversary of episode #14. So, suckle on that, pedants.
Curse you, esteban! Why must you thwart my pedantry so??!!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 09/25/2016, 09:44 PM
Quote from: esteban on 09/24/2016, 06:49 AMPEDANTRY: I guess the podcast actually started 11 years ago, but I am celebrating the 10-year anniversary of episode #14. So, suckle on that, pedants.
Curse you, esteban! Why must you thwart my pedantry so??!!
Hahahhahahhaja.

:)

Mathius

I was just listening to PC Engine City in my car. I only have episodes 1-6 though. Time to get the others finally

esteban

Quote from: Mathius on 09/26/2016, 01:42 PMI was just listening to PC Engine City in my car. I only have episodes 1-6 though. Time to get the others finally
Yeah, it's fun to listen in the car :)

And these episodes have so much character to them... it's like hanging out with an old friend.

KPat

Thanks for the (re)share Esteban!  This has made a week of tedious data entry significantly more enjoyable!

That remix of the Bomberman theme from Panic Bomber was sensational.  The horn solo?  Are you kidding me?  Loved it.  The number of hours I spent playing that game with the roommates throughout University was ridiculous, so was like jazzed up mini reunion to my ears.

He really wasn't kidding about the tune from Rastan Saga II.  Grating, frightening, and even seemed a bit out of tune?

I've taken a quick browse of the internets to try and track down some full PCE soundtracks, but didn't exactly track down any sites I felt I could trust... any suggestions on where to turn for more auditory delights?

MotherGunner

"MotherGunner ole chap!"  Best part of the whole series!
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

NecroPhile

Quote from: KPat on 10/06/2016, 01:24 AMI've taken a quick browse of the internets to try and track down some full PCE soundtracks, but didn't exactly track down any sites I felt I could trust... any suggestions on where to turn for more auditory delights?
There's tons of 'em on youtube, many even uploaded by sunteam paul, or there's este's archive (linked in his sig).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: KPat on 10/06/2016, 01:24 AMHe really wasn't kidding about the tune from Rastan Saga II.  Grating, frightening, and even seemed a bit out of tune?

He has hated that game, and every aspect of it, since he first played it.

A long, long, long time ago, I wrote "A Defense of Rastan Saga II" and the only positive thing I could say about the soundtrack was that it was Baroque (it isn't, but I had to say *something*!)

Quote from: MotherGunner on 10/06/2016, 01:06 PM"MotherGunner ole chap!"  Best part of the whole series!
I laughed at that, too and asked myself "Isn't MotherGunner still around? What is that bastard up to?"

So, what are you up to?

MotherGunner

Quote from: esteban on 10/06/2016, 03:46 PM
Quote from: KPat on 10/06/2016, 01:24 AMHe really wasn't kidding about the tune from Rastan Saga II.  Grating, frightening, and even seemed a bit out of tune?

He has hated that game, and every aspect of it, since he first played it.

A long, long, long time ago, I wrote "A Defense of Rastan Saga II" and the only positive thing I could say about the soundtrack was that it was Baroque (it isn't, but I had to say *something*!)

Quote from: MotherGunner on 10/06/2016, 01:06 PM"MotherGunner ole chap!"  Best part of the whole series!
I laughed at that, too and asked myself "Isn't MotherGunner still around? What is that bastard up to?"

So, what are you up to?
I tend to lurk from time to time but definitely still around.  Things have been crazy.  Got promoted at work and just bought a house!  Between that, back to school, and sick kids, things have been hectic.  Good to hear from you Esty!
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

fluxcore

Hrm, don't suppose there's an RSS feed somewhere for these eps? Would be awesome do be able to suck them down using my podcasting app.

Maybe I can make one semi-manually.
There is no knowledge that is not power

esteban

Quote from: fluxcore on 10/07/2016, 02:45 PMHrm, don't suppose there's an RSS feed somewhere for these eps? Would be awesome do be able to suck them down using my podcasting app.

Maybe I can make one semi-manually.
That feed disappeared a decade ago :)

munchiaz

these are pretty great. thanks for sharing

fluxcore

esteban

Quote from: fluxcore on 10/08/2016, 01:05 AM
Quote from: esteban on 10/07/2016, 03:21 PMThat feed disappeared a decade ago :)
In that case,

http://nzism.alphaism.com/files/pcec-rss.xml

If anyone notices any errors, let me know.
Friggin' AWESOME :)

I love that the NOTES and PLAYLIST are included with each episode!

Not even the original podcast had this information.

Now listening to EPISODE #24 — Final Episode — Ys

I'm in Boston this weekend and I remember listening to EP#24 ten years ago on my way up from NJ...I was using a brand new iPod Touch because I still had a flip phone and couldn't afford a fancy smartphone.

elmer

Quote from: fluxcore on 10/08/2016, 01:05 AMhttp://nzism.alphaism.com/files/pcec-rss.xml

If anyone notices any errors, let me know.
Thanks! I haven't heard these before, so I'm enjoying them from a fresh perspective.  :D

fluxcore

Looks like some of the show notes in the feed are a bit messed up (my xslt transform apparently isn't quite right), I'll fix the feed but not sure that it will update the notes for people that already have them, meh.

Edit: I've fixed the issues I saw in the feed, and at least in my podcast manager it has updated with the new values, so hurrah!

esteban

Quote from: fluxcore on 10/08/2016, 07:29 PMLooks like some of the show notes in the feed are a bit messed up (my xslt transform apparently isn't quite right), I'll fix the feed but not sure that it will update the notes for people that already have them, meh.

Edit: I've fixed the issues I saw in the feed, and at least in my podcast manager it has updated with the new values, so hurrah!
I'll check out the episodes I have...

Feel free to check out *wibble* podcast, too. :)

fluxcore

SoulflySolid

esteban

esteban

UPDATE:

(1) I added all the MISSING BANNERS (#1-18) thanks to a fellow PCE fan :)

(2) RSS feed added :)

fluxcore

Quote from: esteban on 10/10/2016, 12:14 PMUPDATE:

Feel free to just re-host the RSS feed on the tg-16 site, makes more sense really! You'll probably want to change the URL in the "atom:link href" xml element (away from nzism) though.

esteban

Quote from: fluxcore on 10/10/2016, 01:22 PM
Quote from: esteban on 10/10/2016, 12:14 PMUPDATE:

Feel free to just re-host the RSS feed on the tg-16 site, makes more sense really! You'll probably want to change the URL in the "atom:link href" xml element (away from nzism) though.
Thank you, and "yes"...

That was my quick edit before running off with the kids.

I noticed a bunch of other things I want to fix, too.

Let's see if I (1) collapse into a coma or (2) fix things later tonight.