10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Hacking Double Dragon 2 to add more songs?

Started by ParanoiaDragon, 11/11/2016, 02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParanoiaDragon

I've been thinking about putting different songs in Double Dragon 2, namely, various remixes of the arcade music.  However, the arcade seems to have boss tracks while the Turbo one just keeps playing the level tune.  How hard would it be to add new seek routines or whatever for this game?
IMG

esteban

Are you talking about "change music track at any time via pop-up menu" a la HYPERNOVA BLAST?

Or something else?

Regardless, I support this project!

In fact, I am listening to Double Dragon II PCE tunes as I type this in my bathroom...

IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

mj9123456

Which game is in the bottom right corner?

esteban

Quote from: mj9123456 on 11/11/2016, 11:08 AMWhich game is in the bottom right corner?
Toaplan's HORROR STORY :)

Apropos the bathroom, IMHO.

mj9123456

ParanoiaDragon

Nah, I just mean that I'd like to have it, so that once you get to the boss of a level, it'll seek for a new track.  For instance, like Gate of Thunder, once you get to the boss, it loads a new track.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 11/12/2016, 01:10 AMNah, I just mean that I'd like to have it, so that once you get to the boss of a level, it'll seek for a new track.  For instance, like Gate of Thunder, once you get to the boss, it loads a new track.
Ha! *Now* I understand....

:)

ParanoiaDragon

It's mainly cuz I've been ripping my entire collection & converting the tunes to OGG to play on my WII(not to mention, come apocalypse, I'd have all my games on a single thumbdrive!).  There are a few games where I thought I'd have alternate versions with remixed tunes.  I dont' have any plans to redo the Double Dribble 2: The Rebound music myself, but maybe someday.  Was just going to find various remixes to compile in there.  I would like to finish doing my Mega Man, Bonk, & Jungle Bros. projects before I actually made new tunes for DD2.
IMG

TurboXray

I guess I'll chime in. It really depends if they had code that would change the track for the boss encounter, but it doesn't for whatever reason - then it would be easy to hack. But otherwise, you'd need a way to identify that you are in the boss section of code vs non boss area. Then, being a CD game, you'd need to find some free space to your hack code (and possibly boss track play list). You can't really know how difficult it'll be to hack until you start digging through the details.

PS: The Turbo Everdrive 2.x would take care of the free space issue for hacked code.

ParanoiaDragon

Ok, hmmm, that sounds like it would be more work then I was figuring.  I was thinking of when you hacked Sylphia's final boss to seek a different track.  But, if there's not already code in there somewhere to seek a new track at some point, then well, bummer.  I wouldn't mind someday in the future redoing the music myself for the game, & if someone wanted to translate the cinemas, I'd redo the tunes in them.  But, that's someday, definitely not something I plan on doing in the very near future until I get other projects done. :/
IMG

WoodyXP

Interesting.  I think I'll take a shit while listening to Double Dragon II tonight.
"I bathe in AES carts."

esteban

Quote from: WoodyXP on 11/15/2016, 06:48 PMInteresting.  I think I'll take a shit while listening to Double Dragon II tonight.
It is a fantastic soundtrack.

Haters can suck it.

I wish more games took some chances with the soundtrack...

...plus, taking a SHITE to those tunes is deeply satisfying.

:)

ParanoiaDragon

While I don't hate the soundtrack, the first level tune really throws me off, as it's too wacky sounding(maybe better for Ane-san?) & I just wish it had the arcades tunes.
IMG