10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Optimized "Friends List" for Air Zonk

Started by airzonkrulz, 11/24/2016, 06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airzonkrulz

Hello Community - I really enjoy AirZonk - certainly in my Top 5 games for the TG/PCE -- my question is if there has ever been a thread or list posted about the most "optimized" friends list to use when selecting the manual option for the game -- I have played the game 100's - perhaps over a 1000 times since it was released in 1992 - I remember playing it dozens of times at the local Toy's R Us that had it running in the TG16 demo cabinet when it was first released -- but I digress................

My optimized list has changed somewhat over the years - but I feel my strongest "lineup" is as follows:

Stage 1 - MooMoo or Scud
Stage 2 - Power Dump
Stage 3 - Bob or Mumbles
Stage 4 - Bubblician
Stage 5 - Astra

I have yet to figure out best Stages to use Spike Lee, Ripp or Tojo

I would appreciate your thoughts and feedback - and thank you for your time and considerations - Ron

airzonkrulz

Have you ever tried going it alone?

Only a few time - I always assumed the 3-5 seconds of immortality you gain from the "friend" pick up was a strong bonus not to be overlooked when attacking the enemies on screen - I will be sure to give this option a more vetted play - Thanks for for thoughts - Ron

crazydean

Quote from: guest on 11/24/2016, 10:21 AMHave you ever tried going it alone? I find the benefits of leaving friends behind outweigh the loss of the "combined" power up thing.
Sounds like the DoxPhile mantra.

Phase

Here's my list from an old thread
1stage- tojo or dog(forget his name)
2stage- moo moo destroys everything fast..or dog is good
3stage- spike ree crab drop good for football bosses second form.
4stage- bubbleician
5stage- meh doesnt matter you only get a friend for short time

I feel like moo moo is the most powerful so I use him on 2 since he can destroy all that garbage.
who do you think is the best? :)

ParanoiaDragon

Mumble destroys the first boss, hands down.  Takes like 2 hits & he's done.
I've always used Power Dump for the 2nd level.
Can't recall who I use for the 3rd level, either Tojo or Bubblician.
4th is Bob, destroys the boss.
5th I think I've always used either Spike Ree or Moo Moo.
IMG

NoSexGex

For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

NecroPhile

I like to mix it up in the other stages, but going alone is preferred for the last one, where the better weapons are more helpful.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

airzonkrulz

ok - I have gotten the first 4 stages down cold - here are my "friends", scores and lives remaining after the level as of my last play this week:

Stage 1 - Toxy Land - Scud - 131,640   (5)  [I also use Power Dump here with same success]
Stage 2 - Cyber City - MooMoo - 382,470   (6)  [By Far My Most Powerful Friend]
Stage 3 - Rockin' Stadium - Tojo - 613,040  (7) [I also use Bubblican here with same success]
Stage 4 - Deep Blue - Bob - 989,410 (eight)
Stage 5 - Land of Drool - Astra - 1,866,000  (0) -- DID NOT FINISH - Made it to Final Boss Stage

Stage 5 - correct - I lost all 8 lives that were earned - this stage continues to own me - LOL -- I cannot navigate through the stage without losing lives at every section - so frustrating ... yet so fun!!!  Such a great shooter   --- oh well, I will keep on trying  - any advice for 5th stage success is welcomed -

Best wishes -= Ron

Bake

Use Moo Moo in the last stage! No other budy compares. Powerful milk blast

airzonkrulz