10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Anyone happy with their 3DO?

Started by crazydean, 12/23/2016, 03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazydean

I have the opportunity to pick up a 3DO at a good price. What are your opinions on the console?

Killjoyy027

I like my 3DO I have a FZ1 and an FZ10 I prefer my FZ10 as the laser is more reliable. But there are a few good games worth playing. Also most games are very cheap even CIB. I would stay away from Goldstars versions.
Let me know if you get end up getting the systems I would happy to give you game recommendations and talk about accessories.

esteban

Quote from: crazydean on 12/23/2016, 03:16 PMI have the opportunity to pick up a 3DO at a good price. What are your opinions on the console?
Yes, of course.

WARNING: I love experiencing everything, even clunky controls in some 3DO ports of some games.

It's fun to explore the library of consoles/systems that you didn't have direct experience with back when it was "relevant" (hahhahahah!)

Star Control II is the highlight for me, but I have fun with lots of stuff, even for the curiosity/novelty/history (Alone in the Dark, for example, I love seeing what different ports were like across platforms).

If you are curious in the slightest, go for it. :)

I don't own Road Rash, but I am curious about it...that said, i don't *have* to get it, since I have been happy checking out random titles on 3DO for over a decade...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Bloufo

Quote from: Killjoyy027 on 12/23/2016, 03:26 PMI like my 3DO I have a FZ1 and an FZ10 I prefer my FZ10 as the laser is more reliable.
Same laser. Interchangeable between the two.

crazydean

Annnnnddd...it's gone. Oh well.

NecroPhile

I'm happy not owning a 3DO.... does that count?  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

DragonmasterDan

I like the 3DO, but I will be the first to admit it's not a system for everyone.

There are a lot of good games on the 3DO, particularly if you like hokey FMV games. Twisted! The Game Show Game and Zhadnost The Peoples Party are two of my favorite party games ever and are exclusive to the 3DO. A lot of the other stuff that made the system worth owning in its heyday wound up on other consoles eventually (or similar versions of games exist that are comparable to the 3DO port) so some of the best games like Super Street Fighter II Turbo, The Horde, Road Rash and Gex aren't reasons alone to buy the system if you have a lot of more common consoles like Saturn and Playstation.

The 3DO being worth it to you really depends on if you like those multimedia experience type titles that mostly got phased out as the later part of the 90s changed the focus from FMV to polygons.
--DragonmasterDan

Mishran

The system is worth owning just for Twisted. Put a good many hours into PO'ed and Killing Time. There was another fairly decent FPS about a haunted mansion, though the name escapes me. The system had its share of gems, but had an assload of stinkers as well.

Bloufo

Quote from: Mishran on 12/24/2016, 10:34 AMThe system is worth owning just for Twisted. Put a good many hours into PO'ed and Killing Time. There was another fairly decent FPS about a haunted mansion, though the name escapes me.
You're thinking of Escape from Monster Manor.

Recommendations:

-Rebel Assault

-Samurai Shodown (Much shorter loading times compared to the PS1 version and far superior to the 16-bit versions.)

-Super Street Fighter II Turbo (Solid port with awesome soundtrack.)

-Gex (The only version that has saves instead of lame passwords.)

Wing Commander III (superior to the PS1 version.)

-Killing Time (Very good old school FPS; overlooked and underrated. The game start a bit weak but gets really good after some minutes.)

-Wolfenstein 3D (Far superior to the Jaguar version. Infinitely superior to the SNES version. The music is great!)

-Super Wing Commander

-Captain Quazar (Very good isometric run n' gun. The 2-player mode is fun.)

-The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes (Really well produced and improved over the original PC version. Tons of voice overs with good sound quality).

ToyMachine78

Quote from: crazydean on 12/23/2016, 05:14 PMAnnnnnddd...it's gone. Oh well.
What's considered a decent price?

SignOfZeta

You dodged a bullet, IMO. The system is an almost total waste of space.

I say almost because it has the best version of Return Fire, one of the greatest games of all time. It's a mostly awful system though. Of the Jag/3DO/CDi triumvirate of shite the 3DO is the clear winner but unless you've completely exhausted Saturn and more importantly PS1, I don't see the point in getting this thing and scouring the earth for a decent pad, joining some sad sack 3DO forum full of loser console warriors still stumping for Trip Hawkins' clunky-ass 32-bit shitbox, making sure you have ALL the good games before you decide that, yes, your first impressions were correct, it sucks, and dump it onto the next guy, probably the 23rd owner the same system will have had.

Don't give UPS the satisfaction.

PS: I like commas.

PPS: If this doesn't bring Mike out of retirement nothing will.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/24/2016, 02:58 PMYou dodged a bullet, IMO. The system is an almost total waste of space.

I say almost because it has the best version of Return Fire, one of the greatest games of all time. It's a mostly awful system though. Of the Jag/3DO/CDi triumvirate of shite the 3DO is the clear winner but unless you've completely exhausted Saturn and more importantly PS1, I don't see the point in getting this thing and scouring the earth for a decent pad, joining some sad sack 3DO forum full of loser console warriors still stumping for Trip Hawkins' clunky-ass 32-bit shitbox, making sure you have ALL the good games before you decide that, yes, your first impressions were correct, it sucks, and dump it onto the next guy, probably the 23rd owner the same system will have had.

Don't give UPS the satisfaction.

PS: I like commas.

PPS: If this doesn't bring Mike out of retirement nothing will.
Hahhahhahjajjaa. You are correct on all counts.

32-bit shitbox it is, but it has been fun for the past 10-15 years... I know I am in the minority, but I like exploring stuff like this. :)

Then again, I have documented problems.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/24/2016, 02:58 PMI say almost because it has the best version of Return Fire, one of the greatest games of all time.
I totally forgot about the 3DO version of Return Fire and its expansion disc. I never got around to trying the Playstation port of it, but yeah that is a great game.
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

The PS version changed the MB into a HUMVEE so it's inferior for that reason alone. It's still totally solid though.
IMG

LostFlunky

Zeta, I don't know if I would call it the "clear" winner of anything.   I would take the Jaguar over the 3do just for Tempest 2000.  Even Rayman might be better than anything on the 3DO.   I had.a 3DO for fifteen years and the most fun I ever had with it was the anticipation I felt when I was bringing it home from the store.

Dicer

The 3DO had it's stand-outs and its failures are even somewhat entertaining, that said I have no desire to seek one out these days, however if one fell in my lap I'd hook it up and enjoy it for what it is.

I'd much rather have a Jag these days, the day I accidentally killed mine (wrong plug, same size)made me a sad person. I just have much fonder memories of it overall.

WoodyXP

I thoroughly enjoyed my Panasonic FZ-10, but as mentioned a lot of the good games can be found on other systems(and they usually play better).
"I bathe in AES carts."

CrackTiger

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 12/25/2016, 01:06 PMZeta, I don't know if I would call it the "clear" winner of anything.   I would take the Jaguar over the 3do just for Tempest 2000.  Even Rayman might be better than anything on the 3DO.   I had.a 3DO for fifteen years and the most fun I ever had with it was the anticipation I felt when I was bringing it home from the store.
I like both the Jaguar and 3DO, but would rather play Lucienne's Quest and Super Street Fighter II Turbo than anything for Jaguar.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

sirhcman

The 3DO FIFA port was probably the definitive version for its time

bob

i am very happy with other peoples 3DO's

blueraven

Quote from: guest on 12/23/2016, 06:10 PMI'm happy not owning a 3DO.... does that count?  :mrgreen:
Yes.

Star Control 2 is the only reason for owning the system imho. Which is reason enough to not own the system.

in99flames

I really like my 3do.....i think it has the best version of The Need for Speed. I really like the non closed tracks. If i recall the PS1 version was pretty different and inferior in that regard. My opinion...but i think it also has the best version of Night Trap.  Crash N Burn i found entertaining as well.
Mad Dog Mcree was great on it...but nowadays its better for CDi because of the lightgun. 3do had a lightgun but we cant use it on hdtvs....but the cdi version has a different styled lightgun that has similar tech to the Wii remotes tracking so HDTVs can still play the cdi version with the gun

If you can find a copy without dropping 250-400 bucks...Lucienne's Quest is a pretty good rpg but due to its rarity it's not worth the price people are asking.
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)

SignOfZeta

The best version of Night Trap?

I take back everything I said. The 3DO is wonderful.
IMG

Bloufo

Quote from: in99flames on 02/10/2017, 01:15 AMMy opinion...but i think it also has the best version of Night Trap.
I have it on the 32X. Used to own the 3DO version as well. Yeah the one for the 3DO is more detailed and colorful.

Quotebut the cdi version has a different styled lightgun that has similar tech to the Wii remotes tracking so HDTVs can still play the cdi version with the gun
Yeah? I have the CD-i light-gun. Never thought to test it on an HDTV, though. When I get some time I'll give it a go.

NoSexGex

Quote from: Bloufo on 12/24/2016, 11:03 AM-Super Street Fighter II Turbo (Solid port with awesome soundtrack.)

-Gex (The only version that has saves instead of lame passwords.)

Wing Commander III (superior to the PS1 version.)

-Wolfenstein 3D (Far superior to the Jaguar version. Infinitely superior to the SNES version. The music is great!)
Agreed, especially gex ;)
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!