Energy translation patch

Started by cabbage, 12/25/2016, 06:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cabbage

Finally got the Energy to finish up* this English translation patch (for Energy). It also contains a few small gameplay changes, making it a lot less painful to play. Hopefully now some folks who were put off by it before (like me) can complete and perhaps even find some enjoyment from this infamous hucard game.

---

IMG IMG
IMG IMG
https://pce.cabbage.cx/
Screenshots: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Download from romhacking.net
Patching instructions: Lunar IPS is an easy-to-use Windows tool to apply IPS patches to ROMs. If your ROM has a header (windows shows a file size of 257kb), use the header patch. If your ROM has no header (windows shows a file size of 256kb), use the raw patch. If you're having trouble patching just let me know and I'll try to help.

What was (perceptibly) done:
The game is fully playable in English. The text printing was hacked (to use 1 instead of 2 bytes per character) in order to make space for a larger English script. The text prints faster. You can now 'tap' the button to proceed at the end of a text box. The infuriatingly slow scrolling speed is now much quicker. The unskippable intro now plays only once--if you die or reset, it will skip the intro and start the game directly.

What was not done:
The doors are still slow to open. When I hacked them to open immediately, it also caused screens with respawning enemies to spawn them immediately. There must be a way to do it, but (imho) it's not worth all the extra trouble.

A big thanks to onionzoo for translating the script!
New logo drawn by gredler

As always, feedback is appreciated.
Happy holidays, PCEFX~

---

Gameplay tips: (possible spoilers)

To use items: First, select an item on the menu and press button I to equip (it starts flashing blue), then cancel out of the menu with button II. Pressing buttons I and II at the same time will use the equipped item.

At the part with the three giant mutant heads, stand in front of one while it's close to the ground and hold up while jumping(?) to fly. I don't really understand this part...maybe someone else does--Punkic? Anyway, I just keep jumping like a madman while holding up and eventually am able to float off screen.

CrackTiger

Thank you for such a nice xmas gift. :)

Energy is a cool game that just has a few elements which turn people off. The soundtrack has nice compositions using the same sound as Motoroader. Hopefully more people will now take it seriously enough to give it a try.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SuperPlay

Lined up for boxing day :-) Thanks for your  work on the patch

SmokeMonster

Incredible work cabbage. I'm a big fan of your translation projects through the years. Cheers for taking on Energy! :D

TurboXray

elmer

Thanks!  :dance:

Nice job, keep up the good work!  :D

Dicer

Awesome, but how to use flute?

Those buttons are cryptic as hell, lol...

cabbage

To use items, first select an item on the menu and press button I to equip (it starts flashing blue). Then cancel out of the menu with button II, and press buttons I and II at the same time to use the equipped item.
Back in the day I was stuck at the water part for ages... you have to drop down to the ledge right on the edge of the water and press I+II to call the monster to carry you across.

I wanted to get a scan of the manual and maybe translate some parts of it (if there are any helpful), but I don't have a copy of Energy :oops: and neither did anyone I asked, hehe.

PunkCryborg

Amazing! I love this game and hope other people will spend some time with it now that its translated. Your work is appreciated Cabbage  :D

Opethian

IMG

xcrement5x

Epic work cabby!

I am out of town but will try and get some scans of the manual for you when I get back. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

NecroPhile

Nice!  Maybe now I can get more than a few screens in before rage quitting.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

shubibiman

When I saw "Energy Translation Patch", I thought "why spend so much time on such a piece of crap ?"

Then I read this : " It also contains a few small gameplay changes, making it a lot less painful to play".

Thanks for that :)
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

technozombie

Awesome, definitely going to check this out.

EmperorIng

Same; I always shelved it away in the "might be interesting but looks too miserable to play" pile. ;)

The changes might alleviate some of that frustration to find some worthwhile pc88 adventure.

deubeul

Quote from: cabbage on 12/25/2016, 05:59 PMI wanted to get a scan of the manual and maybe translate some parts of it (if there are any helpful), but I don't have a copy of Energy :oops: and neither did anyone I asked, hehe.
Cabbage, I have a second copy of Energy I got in a lot after winning the other one in Sarumaru's raffle (thanks again  :D ).

I can send it to you if you want, just PM me.

gojira1954

Anyone smart enough to find a hex edit hack for invincibility to apply pretty please?

geise

Holy shit cabbage thank you so much for this!  I loved this game before the patch, but to play it translated is awesome as hell.  Thank you for all the work on this!  A very nice surprise!  What a way to end the year!  Thanks again!

esteban

Cabbage, I fucking love you.

Thank you for making this A Very TurboXMAS.

:)

TRIVIA: Over the years, I acquired several copies of Energy...and I gave them to folks as gag gifts (I would praise it beforehand as an unappreciated gem).

Of course, now I feel bad for dismissing the game so readily.

FORGIVE ME, LORD*
For I have sinned.

*of Thunder
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NecroPhile

With cabby's tweaks and being able to better understand what's going on, I beat Energy last night.  Thanks, cabbage!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

xcrement5x

Sent you a PM with a link to manual scans bud.  If you didn't get it or they don't work hit me up and I'll email them to you or something.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/03/2017, 12:12 PMSent you a PM with a link to manual scans bud.  If you didn't get it or they don't work hit me up and I'll email them to you or something.
Email the manual to me, too. Original, huge files are better. I want to add it to archive of manuals.

Thank you, comrade.

blueraven

Awesome, Cabbage! Thanks for all of your work on this!

xcrement5x

Quote from: esteban on 01/03/2017, 02:58 PM
Quote from: guest on 01/03/2017, 12:12 PMSent you a PM with a link to manual scans bud.  If you didn't get it or they don't work hit me up and I'll email them to you or something.
Email the manual to me, too. Original, huge files are better. I want to add it to archive of manuals.

Thank you, comrade.
I just sent them to the email you gave me previously, let me know if you get them okay :)

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/04/2017, 01:12 PM
Quote from: esteban on 01/03/2017, 02:58 PM

Thank you, comrade.
I just sent them to the email you gave me previously, let me know if you get them okay :)
I checked the files on my phone—everything seems excellent. I'll view them on computer at home to make certain, though.

:)

cabbage

It's great to see such a positive reaction! I didn't know what to expect with this patch... I mostly chose to do this project because I had always wanted to be able to complete a playthrough, and it seemed like a good place to get out of my comfort zone and try to do some assembly hacking.
Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Also: I'm always on the lookout for folks with Japanese-language skills--please get in touch if you'd be interested in working together sometime.

Quote from: gojira1954 on 12/28/2016, 05:00 AMAnyone smart enough to find a hex edit hack for invincibility to apply pretty please?
'Infinite life/esp' was enabled during some of the patch development. Since the game is full of hidden potions, invincibility doesn't really seem necessary (imho--to each his own)... If you still want it, I can make a quick patch for you.

roflmao

goldenband

Beat this today. It's surprisingly fun, considering its reputation!