OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Space Harrier floor effect

Started by TurboXray, 01/16/2017, 09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurboXray

Obviously it's missing the checker board floor from the arcade version (which the MD "version" also has). Can the PCE do it?

I would say yes, and with less vram memory than what was required on the MD. How? Simple compression. While the PCE lacks tile flipping (horizontal in this case), the PCE does have an advantage; planar tiles. The checkered floor is essentially 1bit graphics with a h-interrupt changing one color to produce the movement effect. On the PCE, you can store four sets of 1bit tiles in a single tile and use four sub palettes to display each one as its own graphics (you won't see the other overlaid tiles). And with the PCE having 16 background palettes, this is no sweat.

So now begs the question.. who's going to hack this into the game? Haha. I don't have time ( serious C programming class this semester is going to dominate my time. It's the last "elimination" class for the major). I nominate elmer  :mrgreen:

Arkhan Asylum

lol, that facebook thread got to you, didn't it.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

CrackTiger

Were retro experts saying that the PCE couldn't do the checkerboard floor because it's only 8-bit? If so, did anyone point out that it seems to be based on the X68k version which was uses an "8-bit" floor effect. Or that the Genesis version moves the sprites at like 4 - 10 fps?

Would it be possible to use the described technique to animate the 4-color floor pattern of the arcade version?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

FraGMarE

It always bothered me how choppy and non-checkered the floor looked in the TG16 version of SH.  That shit should have been smooth as butter, like the Genesis SH2... except, you know, SH1 instead

_Paul

Master System did it with colour cycling.

CrackTiger

I don't remember the floor in PCE Space Harrier being choppy. Didn't the lines move and stretch based on 60fps?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

elmer

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/16/2017, 09:30 AMObviously it's missing the checker board floor from the arcade version (which the MD "version" also has). Can the PCE do it?
Huh??? Unless I'm missing something ... of course it can.  :-k

Didn't ccovell already do the effect in HuZero?

It's just that he's using a "road" texture instead of a "checkerboard" texture.

Isn't Space Harrier just doing the same basic setting of the X and Y scroll registers every hblank, and changing a couple of palette entries?

QuoteI nominate elmer  :mrgreen:
No way! I hated all of those fake-3d games back-in-the-day, and wouldn't waste my time on one now.

Excellent-quality pixel-art is where it's at ... not crummy nearest-neighbor scaled sprites (which only started to look good in the PS2-era when you actually got hardware bilinear filtering).

Digi.k

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: CrackTiger on 01/16/2017, 01:38 PMI don't remember the floor in PCE Space Harrier being choppy. Didn't the lines move and stretch based on 60fps?
Its not choppy.  It's actually quite smooth.

I also suspect that if the original wasn't a checkerboard, and was also alternating bars, nobody would give a shit.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

TurboXray

Quote from: guest on 01/16/2017, 09:43 AMlol, that facebook thread got to you, didn't it.
Haha yeah.. that checker board floor though

FraGMarE

Quote from: guest on 01/16/2017, 08:06 PM
Quote from: guest on 01/16/2017, 01:38 PMI don't remember the floor in PCE Space Harrier being choppy. Didn't the lines move and stretch based on 60fps?
Its not choppy.  It's actually quite smooth.

I also suspect that if the original wasn't a checkerboard, and was also alternating bars, nobody would give a shit.
Maybe I'm just thinking of the game, in general... could have used more sprite scaling frames, i suspect.  But, yea, it *needed* that checkerboard floor.  Just one more excuse for the Genesis kids to say "It can't even do a checkered floor on Space Harrier!" as they pull out their copy of Space Harrier II haha

TBH, though, I've always chalked that particular part of it up to just being rushed/botched.  Not any kind of hardware limitation

Arkhan Asylum

I went and played both again.

The checkerboard/shit on Megadrive is whatever.   I think the PC Engine one plays better, and I also think I like the colorbar floors more than the checkerboard, lol.

The checkboard is kind of nonsense.  What the hell kind of place are you at that you're on a checkboard

rasterbars gogogo.

https://youtu.be/PIYntoNv4WQ

lol

Also, Burning Force is better anyways.  Too bad that wasn't on PCE.

Psycho Punch

Turbo Space Harrier is far better than the MD version, even if it doesn't have the checkerboard. "Choppy"? Someone needs to play the md Space Harrier II. :lol:

Checkered floor would be nice but the bars aren't bad at all, in fact they're pretty good at conveying depth.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Arkhan Asylum

It feels better with the raster bars IMO.   The checkboard makes me feel like im at a bowling alley, now that I think about it more and actually pay attention to it.

spenoza

Naw, man, it just means you're flying over some rich dude's fancy lawn. They cut them kinda checkerboard these days, sometimes.