@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Double Dragon 2 (PC Engine) Vs. Double Dragon 2 (NES)

Started by Magister, 02/05/2017, 07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magister

Always enjoyed the NES version back when it came out.  Always been a fan of the DD games, except for the third one.  That one was clearly made just to milk you of your quarters.  Double Dragon was the second arcade machine that I bought when I started collecting them.  Just got done playing DD2 for the PC Engine and I have to say I enjoyed it a lot more than the NES version.  It was easy for sure.  Made it though the game on my first try.  But I have to say I like how the game handles and looks.  And the cut scenes just make the game even better.  Looking back at who made DD2 for the NES, Acclaim was never really good at making great games.  They made good games, but nothing I can remember that I would call great.  Now Sunsoft on the other hand, they made great NES games.
This Space For Rent.

Michirin9801

Is that even a fair comparison? It's an NES game against a 16 bit CD game which is a remake of said NES game... That's like comparing the original Metroid to Metroid Zero Mission, yeah the remake is easier, but it's so much better than the original that you don't wanna go back to the original when you play the remake (unless you're a glutton for punishment)

Okay okay, SOME people might prefer the NES game, but this is a forum for PC engine fans, I imagine most people over here are going to prefer the PC engine remake, me included, that game rocks!

Also yeah, Sunsoft rocks! They were one of the best developers for the NES, way up there with Hudson, Natsume and Konami, Acclaim isn't even worth the comparison...

CrackTiger

Acclaim was more of a publisher who licensed games from other distributors or developers, like Double Dragon II for NES/Famicom, which was made by Technos.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

blueraven

I really like the PC Engine version more than the NES version

ToyMachine78

Nes for me. I really don't like the music on the pce.

Magister

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 02/05/2017, 08:06 PMOkay okay, SOME people might prefer the NES game, but this is a forum for PC engine fans, I imagine most people over here are going to prefer the PC engine remake, me included, that game rocks!
Not the case with the Ninja Ryuukenden(PC-Engine) Vs. Ninja Gaiden(NES) thread.  And just because it's a CD game doesn't always make it a better game.
This Space For Rent.

Magister

Quote from: guest on 02/05/2017, 08:15 PMAcclaim was more of a publisher who licensed games from other distributors or developers, like Double Dragon II for NES/Famicom, which was made by Technos.
Fair Enough.  They published a lot of shitty games then.  Swords and Serpents.  Ugh.   ](*,)
This Space For Rent.

ccovell

... ooookayyy, so what's with the rambling and the mention of Sunsoft?  Double Dragon II NES is a Technos game, and the PCE-CD version was developed by KID, and published by NAXAT.

imparanoic

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 02/05/2017, 08:06 PMIs that even a fair comparison? It's an NES game against a 16 bit CD game which is a remake of said NES game... That's like comparing the original Metroid to Metroid Zero Mission, yeah the remake is easier, but it's so much better than the original that you don't wanna go back to the original when you play the remake (unless you're a glutton for punishment)

Okay okay, SOME people might prefer the NES game, but this is a forum for PC engine fans, I imagine most people over here are going to prefer the PC engine remake, me included, that game rocks!

Also yeah, Sunsoft rocks! They were one of the best developers for the NES, way up there with Hudson, Natsume and Konami, Acclaim isn't even worth the comparison...
i think it's a fair comparison, unlike the mega cd with added graphical features, the pc engine cd rom doesn't really additional graphical features, only minor memory advantages ( presuming) and cd quality soundtrack, thus, freeing the sound channels for additional sound effects, it's noted that the Pc engine super cd rom, is not too dissimilar to Famicom disk drive, plus the era is quite close.

imparanoic

Quote from: ccovell on 02/05/2017, 10:09 PM... ooookayyy, so what's with the rambling and the mention of Sunsoft?  Double Dragon II NES is a Technos game, and the PCE-CD version was developed by KID, and published by NAXAT.
what other pc engine games was developed by kid

imparanoic

double dragon 2 on the pc engine cd rom, has quite a few advantages over the NES version, even though it looks a bit goofy looking,

3 enemy characters and 2 player character (i can remember if 4 enemy characters at once) on pc engine cd rom, but the NES version is only 2 enemy characters and 2 player character at the same time

much faster gameplay than NES version

better cut scenes

But the NES version has a few more characters, ie, the Ninja is on the NES one, but not on the pc engine cd rom version ( strangely on the hidden menu of characters though)

Michirin9801

Quote from: Magister on 02/05/2017, 10:04 PM
Quote from: Michirin9801 on 02/05/2017, 08:06 PMOkay okay, SOME people might prefer the NES game, but this is a forum for PC engine fans, I imagine most people over here are going to prefer the PC engine remake, me included, that game rocks!
Not the case with the Ninja Ryuukenden(PC-Engine) Vs. Ninja Gaiden(NES) thread.  And just because it's a CD game doesn't always make it a better game.
That one was pretty evenly split though wasn't it? The problem with Ninja Ryuukenden on the PC engine is that it has a couple of glaring flaws that Double Dragon 2 doesn't have, thus making the comparison a little closer...

Quote from: imparanoic on 02/05/2017, 10:15 PMi think it's a fair comparison, unlike the mega cd with added graphical features, the pc engine cd rom doesn't really additional graphical features, only minor memory advantages ( presuming) and cd quality soundtrack, thus, freeing the sound channels for additional sound effects, it's noted that the Pc engine super cd rom, is not too dissimilar to Famicom disk drive, plus the era is quite close.
The PC engine is still far superior hardware with or without the CD add-on, but the CD does add the ability to store a heck of a lot more data and play redbook music so that's a bonus...

Also, the fact that the PC engine CD only adds an ADPCM channel and extra memory to the system is what makes it all the more impressive than the Sega CD, the CPU and Graphics Processors that are handling Sapphire are the same CPU and Graphics Processors that handled Keith Courage and Bikkuriman World way back when, unlike on the Mega CD which is pretty much a whole other system attached to the Mega Drive...
Well guess what Sega? The Turbo CD doesn't need a whole new CPU or an extra power supply to make a better version of Lords of Thunder ;3

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

exodus

I like the PCE music a lot! So yeah, definitely my version of choice. Also yes, much easier to control.

Magister

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 02/05/2017, 10:50 PMThat one was pretty evenly split though wasn't it? The problem with Ninja Ryuukenden on the PC engine is that it has a couple of glaring flaws that Double Dragon 2 doesn't have, thus making the comparison a little closer...
It was close.  But more people leaned towards the NES version.  But that might have just been because they grew up playing the NES version first.
This Space For Rent.

Trenton_net

In my humble opinion, PCE > NES port of DD2. The reason being, the PCE port is just more capable. More colors, CD Quality music, intros and cut-scenes, etc. It's not that the NES port is bad, it's just that it's hamstrung by the physical limitations of the NES. Had the PCE port been butchered, like the game Golden Axe for example, then I'd agree the NES version wins hands down.

WoodyXP

The PCE Port is better because it is HOT WILD.
"I bathe in AES carts."

esteban

I like the PCE version, but there is something infinitely better about the aesthetics of the NES version.

Now, to be fair, I played the hell out of the NES version and it really is one of my faves...so I might be biased.

Even really annoying parts in the NES game (e.g. the bricks that suddenly slide out of the wall...all the tricky jumping)...even that can't stop me from loving the NES version.

That said, I enjoy the PCE version and I had an epiphany, many moons ago, that the soundtrack is an under-appreciated element of the PCE port.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

EmperorIng

Quote from: esteban on 02/09/2017, 12:20 PMI like the PCE version, but there is something infinitely better about the aesthetics of the NES version.
That something is simply that the NES sprites are better-drawn.

I am surprised (though considering the forum, I probably shouldn't be) that for all the talk about how better the PCE version looks, no one mentions how the sprites just look... silly or worse than the arcade (or even NES) counterparts. Just compare how Burnov is drawn:

IMG

IMG

The spritework is inconsistent and in some cases (like above) a little amateurish. Bigger with more colors =/= better.

That being said, despite its looks (cutscenes aside) the PCE remake is still a very good game, though imo the NES port plays a little bit better and it is possible to chain more attacks together for combos (there's a little bit of downtime that makes all the difference in this version).

imparanoic

Quote from: EmperorIng on 02/09/2017, 03:12 PM
Quote from: esteban on 02/09/2017, 12:20 PMI like the PCE version, but there is something infinitely better about the aesthetics of the NES version.
That something is simply that the NES sprites are better-drawn.

I am surprised (though considering the forum, I probably shouldn't be) that for all the talk about how better the PCE version looks, no one mentions how the sprites just look... silly or worse than the arcade (or even NES) counterparts. Just compare how Burnov is drawn:

IMG

IMG

The spritework is inconsistent and in some cases (like above) a little amateurish. Bigger with more colors =/= better.

That being said, despite its looks (cutscenes aside) the PCE remake is still a very good game, though imo the NES port plays a little bit better and it is possible to chain more attacks together for combos (there's a little bit of downtime that makes all the difference in this version).
Yes, it's goofy looking, but the gameplay is much better than the NES, the point being, though it's good, does it justify the high price for the pc engine version of this game ?, now that's hard question

WoodyXP

Quote from: imparanoic on 02/09/2017, 08:53 PMdoes it justify the high price for the pc engine version of this game?, now that's hard question
Hell to the no.  eBay sellers are on crack.
"I bathe in AES carts."

FraGMarE

PC-Engine version.  All.  Day.  Long.

It's like, the only decent scrolling beat-em-up on the system.

imparanoic

Quote from: WoodyXP on 02/10/2017, 09:47 PM
Quote from: imparanoic on 02/09/2017, 08:53 PMdoes it justify the high price for the pc engine version of this game?, now that's hard question
Hell to the no.  eBay sellers are on crack.
its noted that it's not cheap in japan either, quite a rare game

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k200871677

MisterCrash

To be fair, that auction has no bids on it yet, but it's not necessarily out of line with recent sales, which have been in the 7500-12,000 yen range.

I paid 3200 yen for a copy in 2010: looks like it has escalated in price since then.

esteban

Quote from: MisterCrash on 02/14/2017, 07:02 AMTo be fair, that auction has no bids on it yet, but it's not necessarily out of line with recent sales, which have been in the 7500-12,000 yen range.

I paid 3200 yen for a copy in 2010: looks like it has escalated in price since then.
IMG

Q: Why post this?

A: Hot. Wild.

JoshTurboTrollX

hot hot hot hot wild.  HOT WILD.

"Good Evening!"

I love both games, I think the PCE game is an overall easier game, but the complete product of the NES game makes it a slightly better game.  I want to say that I conquered DD2 on PCE the very first time I played it.

NES DD2 > PCE DD2 > Arcade Original

Odd?
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

They say the sea is cold...Hot.
Wild.

I would love to hear NES, with samples, pumping out a rendition of that unique PCE track.

CrackTiger

QuoteThe spritework is inconsistent and in some cases (like above) a little amateurish. Bigger with more colors =/= better.

Double Dragon games have always had fugly sprites and the NES version isn't great itself, even if it was well done considering the source material and target platform.

With that said, I'm not a fan of any version of DDII and the player sprites in particular have always been a turn off for me. But it's mostly a color issue, as like most PCE games, the developer didn't make good use of the console's color potential.

Here's what a color hack can do, changing nothing but the existing palette and not changing any pixels or moving any pixel's color to one not already shared with it:

IMG
IMG
IMG
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Dicer

Quote from: guest on 02/16/2017, 07:07 PM
QuoteThe spritework is inconsistent and in some cases (like above) a little amateurish. Bigger with more colors =/= better.

Double Dragon games have always had fugly sprites and the NES version isn't great itself, even if it was well done considering the source material and target platform.

With that said, I'm not a fan of any version of DDII and the player sprites in particular have always been a turn off for me. But it's mostly a color issue, as like most PCE games, the developer didn't make good use of the console's color potential.

Here's what a color hack can do, changing nothing but the existing palette and not changing any pixels or moving any pixel's color to one not already shared with it:

IMG
IMG
IMG
This I like...

CrackTiger

Jimmy:

IMGIMGIMG

IMGIMG

esteban