RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Double Dungeons Opinions

Started by Magister, 02/25/2017, 11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magister

So, I just got my hands on a copy of this and have plans to sit down with my 14 year old son and play it.  Ever since I got my Turbo Duo back up and running he has taken an interest in the system.  But that's a story for another time.

So how is this game?  Long game?  Worth playing?  Does it have an end or is it like Gauntlet that has no ending?
This Space For Rent.

Dicer

Get yourself some graph paper beforehand, you'll need it...

Very old school in style it seems to be a love or hate type of game.

If you like stuff like Etrian Odyssey on the DS and stuff you should dig this...

CrackTiger

It's a straight dungeon crawler and is good if you enjoy grinding. It would really benefit from an upgrade to aesthetics and the variety, but it's dolid enough for the time it came out and is cool to play on an Express.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

bob

ditto about the express.   lends itself well to the small screen.

hoobs88

The dungeons get longer as you progress through the game. I only played through it one time.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Magister

I'm no stranger to having to resort to graph paper on old games.  Hell, I still have maps I made for some of the games I played in the 80's.  So, the game has an ending right?  From the little I played of it so far it definitely is a level grinder.
This Space For Rent.

Keith Courage

I like this game. My only gripe would be that your character doesn't continue from dungeon to dungeon with the same exp and weapons. Feels like starting over each map. Because of this I feel like I don't have as much invested in the main character.

Music is good even though it's the same song over and over and over again.  Well except for shops and boss battles that is.

Co-op play is great since fighting the boss together helps.

bob

Quote from: Magister on 02/25/2017, 05:10 PMI'm no stranger to having to resort to graph paper on old games.  Hell, I still have maps I made for some of the games I played in the 80's.  So, the game has an ending right?  From the little I played of it so far it definitely is a level grinder.
scan 'em.  lets see 'em.  i love coming across old gaming stuff i made as a kid

BigusSchmuck

Simplicity at its best. And two player to boot. Not a bad game in small bursts, but can get repetitious quick. If you want a true dungeon crawler stick to Wizardry. Just because its a Japanese release doesn't mean that it isn't in English. Well mostly.

roflmao

Yeah, I love playing this on the Express. For all but one or two dungeons you can hug the left or right wall and eventually get through the whole thing. My 8 yr old enjoyed playing a level or two with me in co-op mode.

Magister

Quote from: gynt on 02/25/2017, 08:55 PM
Quote from: Magister on 02/25/2017, 05:10 PMI'm no stranger to having to resort to graph paper on old games.  Hell, I still have maps I made for some of the games I played in the 80's.  So, the game has an ending right?  From the little I played of it so far it definitely is a level grinder.
scan 'em.  lets see 'em.  i love coming across old gaming stuff i made as a kid
One map I have is too big to scan.  I actually have it framed.  It's the city ruins for Secret of the Silver Blades for the PC.
This Space For Rent.

Magister

Quote from: Keith Courage on 02/25/2017, 08:02 PMI like this game. My only gripe would be that your character doesn't continue from dungeon to dungeon with the same exp and weapons. Feels like starting over each map. Because of this I feel like I don't have as much invested in the main character.

Music is good even though it's the same song over and over and over again.  Well except for shops and boss battles that is.

Co-op play is great since fighting the boss together helps.
Yea.  We just realized this playing through the first dungeon.  And the fact that in order to play level 22 you have to play through all 21 of the other dungeons to get a piece of the password to unlock level 22.  What a nightmare.
This Space For Rent.

crazydean

I really enjoy the game in short bursts. It would be great if it were re-releases with saves, maps, and updated grafx

NoSexGex

It reminds me of one of those 1980 RPG PC games.. There's one that's really similar but i can't remember it for the life of me
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

majors

Fellow forum member recommended me to try it out. I gave it a go, got about dozen or so levels in before just trading out my card. It was just not for me, nor a keeper(have TED, no lost trading it out).

I do not know if your kid will take a liking to obey from DD...I'd throw some Bonk and Parasol Stars to get 'em turbob fan.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

NecroPhile

It definitely has an ending:-"

'Tis a fun game overall, but the later dungeons get rather tedious, being too big and taking too long to conquer.

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

This is a great game and they should have made more of them, because it's got the early 80s WRPG feel, with all of the JRPG flair.   It's the same sort of satisfying killing / exploring you get from something as far back as Akalabeth, but better.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

JoshTurboTrollX

I like it!  Good luck!

Way better than Side Arms or Victory Run.  :)
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Magister

We played it for a good number of levels, but having to start every dungeon with level 1 characters and equipment started to get old.  The story and ending for each dungeon was quite dull as well.  My son was really enjoying the game though.  So we said the hell with it and got the password to play Dungeon 22.  Just the last Dungeon alone took forever to get to the boss.
This Space For Rent.

esteban

Quote from: Magister on 02/27/2017, 07:12 PMWe played it for a good number of levels, but having to start every dungeon with level 1 characters and equipment started to get old.  The story and ending for each dungeon was quite dull as well.  My son was really enjoying the game though.  So we said the hell with it and got the password to play Dungeon 22.  Just the last Dungeon alone took forever to get to the boss.
Yes.

One of the fun, trivial aspects of co-op is that you can see the character design/sprite of the other player in a regular basis. It sounds silly, but it adds some much needed "visual interest" to the game...and it makes the solo vs. co-op experience feel slightly different, IMHO.

My brothers and I played this back in the day, when we had the free time for the later levels. I haven't tackled the last few levels in many, many years.

The music is good, but, Jesus, if ever there was a game that needed more songs. This game really should have had a full soundtrack. As it is, it's just a tease at what could have been an utterly fantastic collection of tunes (the other titles by this developer have a unique, distinctive soundscape to them, so it is reasonable to assume that it would have been a solid effort).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG