OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

OFFICIAL ZELDA:BOTW TOPIC

Started by Dicer, 03/09/2017, 05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dicer

Discuss...keep spoilers down a bit, so we are ruined by anything, yet.

I'm almost 20 hours in and I feel like I've barley scratched the surface...this damned game is flat-out amazing.

I miss my bro horse (RIP COFFEE), but Spotz is doing his job till I go on a horse wranglin session.

I've gotten 6 hearts and two stamina upgrades and I've seen (but not dealt with) 3 of the 4 ancients, they are a sight to see. I've also gone to plenty of places I shouldn't have if only briefly, and the game kicked my ass for it.

I have the Wind Waker amiibos and they drop some goodies each day, which is nice.

Overall, a really good time so far, cannot wait to see more once I dive in deeper.

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

bartre

I'm really not sure if I could give less of a shit about this game.
why does everything need crafting these days?

NoSexGex

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 03/09/2017, 05:43 PMLink kills Ganon.
*ahem* Dicer, Arkhan spoiled the game for me
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

TheClash603

Quote from: bartre on 03/09/2017, 06:15 PMI'm really not sure if I could give less of a shit about this game.
I have been really enjoying the game, I probably have about 15 hours into it so far.  With that said, cooking food has been my least favorite aspect of the game.  I don't mind finding items with different effects, but don't make me cook the shit.  I go out to eat 9 meals out of 10 for a reason, it isn't fun to cook.

TR0N

Lost allot of time playing the wii-u version.Beside running into allot of one shot kills by some enemies  :P Though i don't have any zelda amiibos so no extras me.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Pokun

I have no Amiibos at all, but I'm probably getting the Collector's Edition so that'll get me a Rider Link.
I guess Wolf Link would be fun to get too, or do you need TP HD to use it in Zelda BOW?

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/09/2017, 08:14 PM
Quote from: bartre on 03/09/2017, 06:15 PMI'm really not sure if I could give less of a shit about this game.
I have been really enjoying the game, I probably have about 15 hours into it so far.  With that said, cooking food has been my least favorite aspect of the game.  I don't mind finding items with different effects, but don't make me cook the shit.  I go out to eat 9 meals out of 10 for a reason, it isn't fun to cook.
After you kill Ganon and rescue Zelda you could have her doing the cooking for you.

TheClash603

Quote from: Pokun on 03/10/2017, 04:15 AMI have no Amiibos at all, but I'm probably getting the Collector's Edition so that'll get me a Rider Link.
I guess Wolf Link would be fun to get too, or do you need TP HD to use it in Zelda BOW?

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/09/2017, 08:14 PM
After you kill Ganon and rescue Zelda you could have her doing the cooking for you.
The true motive of the quest is revealed!  This actually makes more sense, because one gripe I had with the game is that the NPCs don't seem to be in any actual danger.  Yeah the castle is taken and if you go off in the woods alone you could get into a fight, but life in each of the towns I have visited so far seems pleasant and I'm not really sure there is any NPC plight.

Flare65

I've got about 10-12 hours in on the Wii U version.

As a PC gamer coming into this game, I just don't get the hype.  Its a great game, but not a solid 10.  I rate it more like a 7.5 or an 8.  A lot of the features the console gamers are raving about, were done over 10 years ago in World of Warcraft and other MMORP games.  I guess I can understand how this may be new to console only players..

Using World or Warcraft to compare it to:

Explore a massive world?  Check.
Cooking food for buffs?  Check.  (WoW has a lot more to offer with professions)
Repairing your weapons?  Check.
Horses (Mounts)? Check.
Main character changes appearance depending on what items are equipped?  Check.
Interactivity with the environment?  Check.
Weather effects?  Check.
Shift from Daytime to Night? Check.
Warp Shrines (Hearthstone)? Check.

As someone who was a die hard WoW player and has over 10 years of it and other MMORP games under my belt, I'm not seeing a lot of new stuff here.  Something that I think is kinda neat is mounted combat on a horse.  I was able to circle strafe some bad guys on a horse and pick them off with a bow an arrow....  That was kinda cool, but you can do essentially the same thing with guns in a car on GTA V.

Graphics are so-so in my opinion.  Some areas look great, but most of the game looks like a washed out 1970's cartoon.

Pokun

Well how many games in the Zelda series have you played? I think every new main series Zelda game is hyped, and for good reasons.

The hype this time is about that they took some of these "open world" stuff that is so popular nowadays, and added it to an old genre-defining series (which is already immensly popular to begin with) that didn't have most of this before (horses and day-night systems are pretty standard in Zelda games by now though).

Most of the things you list have been around in both computer and video games since way back, long before WOW. Except maybe explore massive worlds due to memory constrains, but that has mainly been an MMO thing until lately.

So it's not so much about new stuff as about mixing this stuff with an old hugly popular concept. And I think it seems to fit perfectly fine in the Zelda world, although I haven't played the game yet.

Medic_wheat

I have yet to play or own this game. Will get the WiiU version eventually.

I have a suspicion that the reason the game is getting such high scores isn't that it brings anything new to the open world gener of games. It's that it revitalized a old franchise which was becoming stagnated. Moreover it seems to have implemented what works "best" in a open world game with reactively few bugs.

Ever played Skyrim or Fallout on consoles?  Yeah everything you mentioned being found in WOW is in the new Zelda. However it's less to do with it being open world and more to do with it being an enjoyable experience.

The grips I have heard

Frame rate isn't consistent -meh I have yet to see any open world or MMORPG which is even on PC
Cooking- it's a love t or hate it. For me coming in a game isn't all that bad
Weapons need repair or replacement- once again love it or gate it. For me always a chore to have weapons which damage over time.

Not enough bosses. I suspect Nintendo will provide DLC to expand on that. In fact I might simply wait for a GOY edition with all DLC included as more often then not these open world games as well as fighting games always seem to get a GOY edition where I pay $50 and get all content released instead of $60 for a base game and then $10-30 for each new DLC.

Look at RE 4 it revitalized a old franchise with something different to that franchise if games.

Or say the tell tale game series if point and click games.  Nothing new to the gener however they make an enjoyable experience to play in that genre. Which they have branched or into various properties all with in the adventure point and click game play.

xcrement5x

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 03/10/2017, 11:38 AMI have yet to play or own this game. Will get the WiiU version eventually.

I have a suspicion that the reason the game is getting such high scores isn't that it brings anything new to the open world gener of games. It's that it revitalized a old franchise which was becoming stagnated. Moreover it seems to have implemented what works "best" in a open world game with reactively few bugs.

Ever played Skyrim or Fallout on consoles?  Yeah everything you mentioned being found in WOW is in the new Zelda. However it's less to do with it being open world and more to do with it being an enjoyable experience.

The grips I have heard

Frame rate isn't consistent -meh I have yet to see any open world or MMORPG which is even on PC
Cooking- it's a love t or hate it. For me coming in a game isn't all that bad
Weapons need repair or replacement- once again love it or gate it. For me always a chore to have weapons which damage over time.

Not enough bosses. I suspect Nintendo will provide DLC to expand on that. In fact I might simply wait for a GOY edition with all DLC included as more often then not these open world games as well as fighting games always seem to get a GOY edition where I pay $50 and get all content released instead of $60 for a base game and then $10-30 for each new DLC.

Look at RE 4 it revitalized a old franchise with something different to that franchise if games.

Or say the tell tale game series if point and click games.  Nothing new to the gener however they make an enjoyable experience to play in that genre. Which they have branched or into various properties all with in the adventure point and click game play.
Who knows, GOTY compilations happen but I've never seen Nintendo do something like that.  Mario Kart 8 would have been a perfect option to do that but they haven't.  I bit the bullet and bought the Wii U version of BOTW since it went back up on Amazon and is still 20% off.  Normally Nintendo first party games don't drop in price for years until a selects version comes out so I don't feel too bad about buying it at release.

Dicer

Quote from: Flare65 on 03/10/2017, 09:32 AMI've got about 10-12 hours in on the Wii U version.

As a PC gamer coming into this game, I just don't get the hype.  Its a great game, but not a solid 10.

Medic_wheat

QuoteWho knows, GOTY compilations happen but I've never seen Nintendo do something like that.  Mario Kart 8 would have been a perfect option to do that but they haven't.  I bit the bullet and bought the Wii U version of BOTW since it went back up on Amazon and is still 20% off.  Normally Nintendo first party games don't drop in price for years until a selects version comes out so I don't feel too bad about buying it at release.
True Nintendo doesn't really do GOY editions. To my knowledge the 3DS Hyrule Warrior is close as it has all the DLC included that was released for the WiiU. Similarly the Mario Kart port in the Switch has all the DLC that was released for the WiiU included. That seems to be the closest to Nintendo re-releasing a game with all DLC included that I am aware of.

Then again if this new Zelda were to have a GOY edition it most certinaly be for the Switch as by then the WiiU support will have dried up. This seems to the be final first party WiiU release and as for third party WiiU in the future who knows. I certinaly haven't heard of any upcoming or pending WiiU games now that the system is discontinued.

Gredler

Quote from: Dicer on 03/10/2017, 12:07 PMexcellent video
Thanks for an excellent summery of what this game does. It's constantly surprising, and rewarding for experimentation. The combat stays fresh despite repetitive enemy types.

If you combined half life 2 style physics and AI antics with world of warcraft level world size and "mmo" systems. It might be a more apt comparison

Dicer

Quote from: Gredler on 03/10/2017, 01:34 PM
Quote from: Dicer on 03/10/2017, 12:07 PMexcellent video
Thanks for an excellent summery of what this game does. It's constantly surprising, and rewarding for experimentation. The combat stays fresh despite repetitive enemy types.

If you combined half life 2 style physics and AI antics with world of warcraft level world size and "mmo" systems. It might be a more apt comparison
Don't get me wrong WoW was and still is amazing, no other single RPG has had some many changes and still maintained a loyal (if not ebbing and flowing) following.

But it's all that stuff (most of which I hadn't even considered) that make the game what it is...it's the little things that make up the whole picture.

Gentlegamer

Quote from: Dicer on 03/09/2017, 05:41 PMI miss my bro horse (RIP COFFEE), but Spotz is doing his job till I go on a horse wranglin session.
The Horse God can resurrect your steed.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

Dicer

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 03/10/2017, 03:36 PM
Quote from: Dicer on 03/09/2017, 05:41 PMI miss my bro horse (RIP COFFEE), but Spotz is doing his job till I go on a horse wranglin session.
OMG this changes everything...

Medic_wheat

Considering I haven't played. This almost seems like a joke. But something. Tells me this is part of the game for real.

Someone make a meme of this horse god quickly.

Medic_wheat

The Lake of the Horse God is a location in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It is located in the Faron region south of Highland Stable.

Upon crossing the bridge players will find a fairy fountain that can be revived for 1,000 rupees. Reviving this fountain will allow players to revive fallen horses for the price of 1,000 rupees per horse. This can be a valuable feature for unique horses in particular, should they be killed.

Dicer

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 03/10/2017, 03:50 PM
Considering I haven't played. This almost seems like a joke. But something. Tells me this is part of the game for real.

Someone make a meme of this horse god quickly.
Tis real

IMG

Gredler

I need to kill my horse, I didn't even think that was possible. Good to know. Tonight I slay the stead.

Gentlegamer

I need the Weapon God to resurrect my good weapons.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

Dicer

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 03/10/2017, 04:33 PMI need the Weapon God to resurrect my good weapons.
Nope...though there is one weapon I have that can be reforged.

The rest? Just use em and lose em

esadajr

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 03/10/2017, 01:31 PM... as for third party WiiU in the future who knows. I certainly haven't heard of any upcoming or pending WiiU games now that the system is discontinued.
If nothing changes it would seem Bloodstained will be the last Wii U title.
Gaming since 1985

PukeSter

Quote from: esadajr on 03/10/2017, 04:48 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 03/10/2017, 01:31 PM... as for third party WiiU in the future who knows. I certainly haven't heard of any upcoming or pending WiiU games now that the system is discontinued.
Bloodstained was cancelled, they couldn't figure out how to port Unreal Engine 4.

Bloodstained will come out on the Switch instead, just like Yooka Laylee

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 03/10/2017, 05:12 PM
Quote from: esadajr on 03/10/2017, 04:48 PM
Bloodstained was cancelled, they couldn't figure out how to port Unreal Engine 4.

Bloodstained will come out on the Switch instead, just like Yooka Laylee
I didn't know that. Couldn't find anything on google about it. Looked at the kick starter. But 40 plus updates. Meh I gave up.

LostFlunky

So... I went to EB Games today to pick up BOTW Wii-U, and they don't have any left...

They are sold out on-line and most stores that show stock only got 1 or 2 copies since the original shipment and may not be getting anymore...

Amazon.ca is also sold out, walmart.ca doesn't have an entry for it on their website, BestBuy.ca is sold out - as are local stores.  The only place I have been able to find a copy is at theSource (formerly Radio Shack), but their online inventory system has been wrong before...

This is reminding me of the time they released Twilight Princess on Gamecube...

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 03/10/2017, 06:48 PMSo... I went to EB Games today to pick up BOTW Wii-U, and they don't have any left...

They are sold out on-line and most stores that show stock only got 1 or 2 copies since the original shipment and may not be getting anymore...

Amazon.ca is also sold out, walmart.ca doesn't have an entry for it on their website, BestBuy.ca is sold out - as are local stores.  The only place I have been able to find a copy is at theSource (formerly Radio Shack), but their online inventory system has been wrong before...

Amazon says it will be back in stock on April 4th.

LostFlunky

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 03/10/2017, 07:40 PM
Quote from: Lost Monkey on 03/10/2017, 06:48 PMSo... I went to EB Games today to pick up BOTW Wii-U, and they don't have any left...

Amazon.ca has " will ship in 1-2 months. "

Found it at TRU.  Just picked it up.

Gentlegamer

Speaking of horses, I just scanned Smash Bros. Link amiibo and Epona spawned in my game.
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 03/10/2017, 08:45 PMSpeaking of horses, I just scanned Smash Bros. Link amiibo and Epona spawned in my game.
I hate that the fact you need the link smash bros amiibo to access epona.
IMG

TheClash603

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 03/10/2017, 08:43 PM

Nintendo must have shipped all their Wii U copies to Toys R Us and Best Buy.  Both stores near me had 20+ copies in their display case last weekend when I was out looking for that Hori Switch stand.

I am now 20ish hours in and I am finally about to see my first dungeon.  It's crazy how long that takes.

xcrement5x

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/11/2017, 01:26 PM
Quote from: Lost Monkey on 03/10/2017, 08:43 PM

Nintendo must have shipped all their Wii U copies to Toys R Us and Best Buy.  Both stores near me had 20+ copies in their display case last weekend when I was out looking for that Hori Switch stand.

I am now 20ish hours in and I am finally about to see my first dungeon.  It's crazy how long that takes.
I think they really don't like the 20% discount on new games. 

Medic_wheat

I figured Amazkn what just eating the loss for the 20% discount. So Nintendo wouldn't really care it more units sold that won't be sent back. Unless you mean other retailers disliking the 20% off new Amazon does. That wouldn't probabbaly make more sense now that I think about t.

Gentlegamer

ProTip: you can parry the terminator death lazers
IMG

sirhcman

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 03/12/2017, 04:40 PMI figured Amazkn what just eating the loss for the 20% discount. So Nintendo wouldn't really care it more units sold that won't be sent back. Unless you mean other retailers disliking the 20% off new Amazon does. That wouldn't probabbaly make more sense now that I think about t.
Best Buy has a similar discount for their games

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/my-best-buy/gamers-club/pcmcat338600050004.c?id=pcmcat338600050004

Dicer

2 Divine beasts taken care of...
A harem of sexy sexy horses
A small stock of ancient arrows
Plenty of food for rain/shine/sleet/speed/stam/whatever
A good stock of hearts and a wheel and a half of stam

And I still feel like there is so much i have yet to do...

Fuck this game is great.

PukeSter

I haven't played a game this good in a while! Last was probably Bloodborne

I've done 3 of the Divine Beasts and all the towers except one.

I've done about 30 shrines, and found two overworld bosses.

Unfortunately the story is pretty meh and the Divine Beasts are okay. But the rest is fantastic.

I'm a big fan of the cooking mechanic, so much better than regular crafting. The stamp/pin feature is also innovative.

The towers are cool. Unlike assassins creed I actually have to search points of interest off of the tower.

TR0N

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 03/12/2017, 06:34 PMProTip: you can parry the terminator death lazers
I've tried that earlier it does indeed work,long as you're timing is perfect.
IMG

JoshTurboTrollX

I can see people not wanting to start adventuring thru this game because of how much time you need to sink into it, but really it's one of the greatest games I've seen in ages.  (and be seen, I mean that I've been watching rather than playing)

:)
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/11/2017, 01:26 PMNintendo must have shipped all their Wii U copies to Toys R Us and Best Buy.  Both stores near me had 20+ copies in their display case last weekend when I was out looking for that Hori Switch stand.

I picked up a Wii U copy as a Birthday gift for a friend of mine. Best Buy did indeed have a few of them.
--DragonmasterDan

esadajr

I began playing it the other day. Looks pretty massive. I don't see myself investing 30+ hours in to it anytime soon.
Gaming since 1985

crazydean

Is this game like monster hunter?

TDIRunner

About 23 hours into it and I feel I've only scratched the surface.  There is still a massive portion of the map I haven't even visited yet.  I absolutely love the exploration aspect of it.  I hate cooking in real life, but I actually enjoy it in game.  I enjoy trying out different combinations, but I refuse to use any guides yet.  I don't mind the fact that weapons break, but I wish they lasted a little longer.  I've tamed two horses, but I find that I really don't want to ride them when I'm exploring.  I'm upgrading my heart twice for each increase in stamina because I've ran into very few places that I couldn't climb up to. 

Spoiler (sort of):
Check out the island at the south east corner of the map.  There is a really fun trial that awaits you on the island.  It took me two nights to finish it, but it was really fun. 

Another spoiler:
My best advice is to upgrade your bombs as soon as you can.  The faster regeneration makes a lot of difference.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Dicer

Quote from: TDIRunner on 03/15/2017, 03:42 PMAbout 23 hours into it and I feel I've only scratched the surface.  There is still a massive portion of the map I haven't even visited yet.  I absolutely love the exploration aspect of it.  I hate cooking in real life, but I actually enjoy it in game.  I enjoy trying out different combinations, but I refuse to use any guides yet.  I don't mind the fact that weapons break, but I wish they lasted a little longer.  I've tamed two horses, but I find that I really don't want to ride them when I'm exploring.  I'm upgrading my heart twice for each increase in stamina because I've ran into very few places that I couldn't climb up to. 

Spoiler (sort of):
Check out the island at the south east corner of the map.  There is a really fun trial that awaits you on the island.  It took me two nights to finish it, but it was really fun. 

Another spoiler:
My best advice is to upgrade your bombs as soon as you can.  The faster regeneration makes a lot of difference.
You can get the orb off the giant by gliding down and taking it, he won't wake up...

Did the eventide last night, took 3 tries....was a blast.

PukeSter

Quote from: Dicer on 03/15/2017, 06:53 PM
Quote from: TDIRunner on 03/15/2017, 03:42 PMAbout 23 hours into it and I feel I've only scratched the surface.  There is still a massive portion of the map I haven't even visited yet.  I absolutely love the exploration aspect of it.  I hate cooking in real life, but I actually enjoy it in game.  I enjoy trying out different combinations, but I refuse to use any guides yet.  I don't mind the fact that weapons break, but I wish they lasted a little longer.  I've tamed two horses, but I find that I really don't want to ride them when I'm exploring.  I'm upgrading my heart twice for each increase in stamina because I've ran into very few places that I couldn't climb up to. 

Spoiler (sort of):

Another spoiler:
You can get the orb off the giant by gliding down and taking it, he won't wake up...

It's definitely a cool island.

I used Urbosa's Fury to kill the Giant. Not exactlh creative but it is efficient.

Did anybody figure out the three labryninth exits on their own? I had to use a guide for those.

TR0N

Completed gerudo valley finally.I found it's boss annoying to fight but i mange to win after a few tries.This,game is taking time since i get sidetrack allot to complete a shrine.Any one got tips for having arrows ? Sure there's npcs for selling them but man they charge allot   :evil:
IMG

TDIRunner

Quote from: Dicer on 03/15/2017, 06:53 PMYou can get the orb off the giant by gliding down and taking it, he won't wake up...

I figured there was a way to get it from him before he woke up, but my attempts never worked, so I just fought him to the death.  AFTER I finished the island, I looked up a few tricks and saw that you could do what you suggested.  That sure would have been easier, but I'm trying not to use any guides if possible.

Yeah, the island was super fun regardless of the method used to finish it.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

sirhcman

I know nothing about this game.. regarding finishing everything in the the game, does it track your completion percentage?