Translation site romhacking.net gone?

Started by elmer, 03/15/2017, 11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmer

It's been down most of the day, and I just saw this ...

IMG

SamIAm

Man, that sucks.

For one thing, I bet there were a ton of patches on there that weren't hosted anywhere else. Our Zeroigar patch wasn't.

For another, in addition to translations, that community has given rise to a great deal of creativity and interest based in golden-age gaming. Losing it is a real blow.

Michirin9801

You know that saying that we only appreciate the things we take for granted when they get taken away from us? Yeah, I'm feeling it right now... And it's not a good feeling >~>';

elmer

Just for our PCE community ... there were a bunch of old translation patches there that I haven't seen anywhere else.

Then there's the disruption in all the ongoing projects, like Tom and his SNES Tengai Makyou team that looked nearly-finished.

Hopefully teams like that have personal email details, too ... but it's not always certain.

This is terrible news for those of us working on translations.  :cry:

Gypsy

Um shit. Hopefully everything is in the hands of people willing to share.

cabbage

Supposedly that is a fake twitter account, and the site has not really been shut down. Hopefully that's true and it will be back up soon.

Psycho Punch

It is a fake Twitter account, don't worry guys. But it's a good reminder to back up everything worth it.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

elmer

Quote from: guest on 03/16/2017, 01:20 AMIt is a fake Twitter account, don't worry guys. But it's a good reminder to back up everything worth it.
I really hope so  [-o< ... It looks like assemblergames.com got hacked a couple of weeks ago and still isn't back online.

Antisocial-asshats is something I can understand (and deplore), but losing both of those sites (with all of their individual good-and-bad points) would be a real blow to us old-farts who love programming these ancient systems.

romhacking.net in particular serves a function that I've not seen replicated anywhere else.

BigusSchmuck

I was going to say, viva Zophar's domain!

geise

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 03/16/2017, 08:29 AMI was going to say, viva Zophar's domain!
Heh.  That site will never disappear.

NecroPhile

Maybe it's just an early April Fool's joke and is really just a server move and site revamp.  I hope it's something benign anyway.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CrackTiger

This sucks. :(

The last update I saw in 2017 for Tengai Makyou Zero is that it's still pretty much in the same stalled position it was a decade ago. Nothing is going to happen until a programmer is found who is willing and able to insert the translation.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Gentlegamer

Quote from: guest on 03/16/2017, 10:05 AMGood news, folks:

DoxPhile is still online! :lol:

On a more serious note, I am glad that I snagged most of the latest translation patches a few weeks back. I'll gladly share if anyone needs anything.
Now you can make LE Numbered Translated Bootlegs to sell at NA.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

elmer

Quote from: guest on 03/16/2017, 09:36 AMThe last update I saw in 2017 for Tengai Makyou Zero is that it's still pretty much in the same stalled position it was a decade ago. Nothing is going to happen until a programmer is found who is willing and able to insert the translation.
There was a recruiting drive for the project on romhacking a few months ago, resulting in programmer(s) and an artist volunteering. There have been page-and-pages of updates and screenshots, and the translation is now supposedly close to finished.

elmer

Quote from: guest on 03/16/2017, 01:20 AMIt is a fake Twitter account, don't worry guys. But it's a good reminder to back up everything worth it.
Yeah, I finally found the romhacking.net IRC feed, and the site admins are saying that the site was hacked and that the Twitter account is a fake.

Looks like someone is having fun trying to stir up trouble. The Twitter account posted this ...

IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: elmer on 03/16/2017, 11:23 AM
Quote from: guest on 03/16/2017, 09:36 AMThe last update I saw in 2017 for Tengai Makyou Zero is that it's still pretty much in the same stalled position it was a decade ago. Nothing is going to happen until a programmer is found who is willing and able to insert the translation.
There was a recruiting drive for the project on romhacking a few months ago, resulting in programmer(s) and an artist volunteering. There have been page-and-pages of updates and screenshots, and the translation is now supposedly close to finished.
That's awesome! I have to say though, it is kinda sad that the first Tengai game to be fan translated is some weird fucked up SFC thing, the 4th game. However, I'm sure the way things are going with PCE translations these days I suppose it's only a matter of time before I'm hearing "Welcome welcome, quack quack!" re dubbed into English. :)

Ku wa ku. Ku wa ku.
IMG

elmer

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/16/2017, 12:23 PMHowever, I'm sure the way things are going with PCE translations these days I suppose it's only a matter of time before I'm hearing "Welcome welcome, quack quack!" re dubbed into English. :)
Tom (the translator) said on romhacking that he wants to translate the PCE games ... but IIRC, he doesn't want to do any dubs.

He was historically working with EsperKnight on Ziria.

EsperKnight sure did start a lot of projects.

roflmao

Aw man. I hope they aren't down for good. That sucks.

BigusSchmuck

Well if they did have to take all Nintendo related stuff down at least that will give people more incentive to do other systems than the almighty snes.

varikares

That twitter is fake. He's posting cringy /v/ and donald trump memes now. It's 100% a troll.

The romhacking.net page says the site is still alive. NightCrawler said in an email that the server died and needs to be rebuilt
It might take a while, but at least the site isn't dead.

elmer

Quote from: varikares on 03/17/2017, 05:10 AMIt might take a while, but at least the site isn't dead.
The forums are back up now ... looks like only a few days worth of posts were lost.

Great news!  :D

SamIAm

roflmao

NightWolve

Quote from: elmer on 03/16/2017, 01:09 PMEsperKnight sure did start a lot of projects.
And broke a lot of hearts by the end. ;)

technozombie

They need to take a snapshot of all the patches they host and put them up on a torrent. Even it was only done once a year it would be very beneficial.

xcrement5x

Quote from: technozombie on 03/26/2017, 08:38 PMThey need to take a snapshot of all the patches they host and put them up on a torrent. Even it was only done once a year it would be very beneficial.
You could probably just do like an initial snapshot, then yearly packs if wanted.  I doubt they want to encourage that however.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)