10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Tony Hawk's Amazing Turbo Duo Promo VHS tape.

Started by Joe Redifer, 03/16/2017, 09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Redifer

I don't know how many of you had this promo tape. I was mailed one back in the day. I don't know if I still have it.
But you all might enjoy knowing that Tony Hawk was the one who made and edited the video. Tony Hawk said in an interview HERE that he used to do video editing when his income was low. I recognized his voice when I re-watched this video today. So I asked him if he made it. He confirmed that indeed he did.

IMG

Better than Kanye? I'd say so.

Dicer

bob

Jeremy Klein was working for Turbo and got Tony the hook up.
Tony had Klein on the Birdhouse team.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 03/16/2017, 10:29 PMNice! A perfect supplement to our compendium of Tony Hawk knowledge: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=18532.0

Ask him next if Tony and Hawk from Riot Zone are his GQ and flaming alter egos.

And now, the waving of E-peen: /lotlot.jpg
Sillybilly. :3
IMG

Psycho Punch

Why didn't TTi make a Johnny Turbo Pro Skating game for the Duo? :(

Lol I would have never guessed that Tony Hawk edited the Lords of Thunder VHS...
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

NecroPhile

Heh, that's awesome.  I'm surprised he remembered doing it.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

roflmao

NoSexGex

That is amazing! I love how responsive people are on Twitter for stuff like this. Wonder what Tim Follins doin
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

Groover

I have this video. That is cool to find out that Tony Hawk edited the video. It would be cooler if he had the master tape. I need a better VCR to capture video from. However My Life in Gaming did it for me.
IMG

Psycho Punch

It feels like there are less and less mysteries concerning the US side of the PCE. Even obscure stuff like that is uncovered lol, next there will be a thread where Joe Redifer finds out that george bush used to paint the art for turbografx game boxes or something.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 03/18/2017, 02:39 AMIt feels like there are less and less mysteries concerning the US side of the PCE. Even obscure stuff like that is uncovered lol, next there will be a thread where Joe Redifer finds out that george bush used to paint the art for turbografx game boxes or something.
Maybe not him, but feels like a Bush was involved. :3

BUSH DID THE TURBOGRAFX BOXES!
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/16/2017, 09:56 PMI don't know how many of you had this promo tape. I was mailed one back in the day. I don't know if I still have it.
But you all might enjoy knowing that Tony Hawk was the one who made and edited the video. Tony Hawk said in an interview HERE that he used to do video editing when his income was low. I recognized his voice when I re-watched this video today. So I asked him if he made it. He confirmed that indeed he did.

IMG

Better than Kanye? I'd say so.
Yes, but I would love to know if Tony knew any of the folks filmed...like, were some of interviewees "friends" ...or were they just random dudes found at local video stores?

:)

It seems reasonable that at least 1-2 folks were "planted" to say positive stuff, IMHO.

ANYWAY, the style of the LoT promo is not far removed from early skate videos that my friends watched in late 80's/early 90's...so that's kinda neat (so many promo videos back in that era were very, very corporate, as you well know...even when attempting to "connect" with youthful demographic, it was usually a condescending and/or infantile tone in most corporate videos)

...LoT, in contrast, has a nice vibe to it. It's goofy and silly and

I should find my ancient posts about this...I think I just repeated myself.

Note: Of course, I'm not saying Tony filmed it (he said he only edited it, correct?). By I wonder who actually conceived/filmed the LoT video.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

jtucci31

Oh shit this is sweet news! I remember finding that video a few years ago and wishing I could know exactly what he worked on. Funny that I already owned the very tape he claims to have worked on.

I'm curious to know when he talks during the video, is he behind the camera?

ccovell

IIRC, Tony Hawk, Wil Wheaton, etc. are on one or two early '90s Video Toaster promotional videos as well.

Alt-Nintega

too many jealous people here. It is not Tony Hawk's fault that he is cool, has every US hucard and cd rom. It is not his fault he looks better or has more money than all of you.

Joe Redifer

Quote from: guest on 03/19/2017, 08:12 PMI'm curious to know when he talks during the video, is he behind the camera?
Yes he is the camera guy. That's HIS voice asking people what they thought of Lords of Thunder.

Psycho Punch

Gentlegamer

Tony  Hawk was friends with Johnny Turbo!!!11!!1!1!!
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/20/2017, 04:44 AM
Quote from: guest on 03/19/2017, 08:12 PMI'm curious to know when he talks during the video, is he behind the camera?
Yes he is the camera guy. That's HIS voice asking people what they thought of Lords of Thunder.
So, do you think (or can confirm) that he was responsible for the overall concept, too?

For example, he may have been given some general guidelines, but he filled in everything else with his own creativity.

Now I think there is even more reason to believe that LoT was partially following the spirit of the early skate videos that Mr. Hawk was certainly familiar with.

Joe Redifer

I doubt they had much of a plan with that video. Just... find out why Lords of Thunder is better than the Sega CD platform. Ask random people. Guy makes funny response because he's confused about Lords of Thunder. Use response more than once because funny is good. Show off t-shirt with In-N-Out employee. Add the shittiest effects using Video Toaster hooked up to Amiga 500. Play Shadow of the Beast. Forget all about Lords of Thunder because Shadow of the Beast is way better because European games are always better. Ride skateboard. Make monies.

ccovell

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/22/2017, 04:23 AMAdd the shittiest effects using Video Toaster hooked up to Amiga 500.
<snarky nerd voice>
Heh, the Amiga 500 couldn't hook up to any video expansion board, let alone a Video Toaster. <snort> The Toaster went inside of the Amiga 2000 as a matter of course. <snarfle>
</snarky nerd voice>

Groover

I have been thinking it would be cool to have a homebrew Tony Hawk game on Turbo. It could be like the Gameboy Advance. or like a sprite hack of Lords of Thunder with Tony Hawk sprite replacement.
IMG

Dicer

Quote from: Groover on 03/23/2017, 12:21 PMI have been thinking it would be cool to have a homebrew Tony Hawk game on Turbo. It could be like the Gameboy Advance. or like a sprite hack of Lords of Thunder with Tony Hawk sprite replacement.
Lords of Grinding? wait...maybe not.

bob

Quote from: Groover on 03/23/2017, 12:21 PMI have been thinking it would be cool to have a homebrew Tony Hawk game on Turbo. It could be like the Gameboy Advance. or like a sprite hack of Lords of Thunder with Tony Hawk sprite replacement.
like how they essentially copied the mechanics and physics of 720, added an "attack" and called it Yo' Bro

esteban

Quote from: gynt on 03/23/2017, 02:52 PM
like how they essentially copied the mechanics and physics of 720, added an "attack" and called it Yo' Bro
Ha! Aiming the projectiles in Yo, Bro is just one of the many challenges the game presents.

Nec.Game.head

Lol That's pretty rad !! Hadn't seen this in some years now. Jeremy Klein the voice on the video is a former pro skateboarder and bro of mine. He at the time of this video was riding for Tony Hawk's company called Birdhouse. He also worked for TTI. I had him sign my copy of Lords Of Thunder and thought I was crazy for having him sign it. Lol I laughed and told him whatever dude just sign the damn thing !! I see him ever so often and if anyone would like some more info on this I could gladly bug him a bit more about it.

IMG
IMG
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

esteban

Quote from: Nec.Game.head on 04/02/2017, 12:34 AMLol That's pretty rad !! Hadn't seen this in some years now. Jeremy Klein the voice on the video is a former pro skateboarder and bro of mine. He at the time of this video was riding for Tony Hawk's company called Birdhouse. He also worked for TTI. I had him sign my copy of Lords Of Thunder and thought I was crazy for having him sign it. Lol I laughed and told him whatever dude just sign the damn thing !! I see him ever so often and if anyone would like some more info on this I could gladly bug him a bit more about it.

IMG
IMG
Thanks for clarifying the voice in the video, that just makes the TTi <-> skateboarding connection even better.

I have a silly theory: that the LoT video basically follows the spirit and structure of skating videos from that era. TTi may have stipulated a few things, but otherwise allowed a lot of creative freedom filming/editing it. Again, just a silly theory.

Personally, I would love *any* anecdotes or details about working for TTi, no matter how mundane (for example, did he work 9:00-5:00? What was a typical day like? What did his job entail?)

But, this video...or any specific project he remembers folks working on at TTi, would be great to hear about.

Dicer

Quote from: Nec.Game.head on 04/02/2017, 12:34 AMLol That's pretty rad !! Hadn't seen this in some years now. Jeremy Klein the voice on the video is a former pro skateboarder and bro of mine. He at the time of this video was riding for Tony Hawk's company called Birdhouse. He also worked for TTI. I had him sign my copy of Lords Of Thunder and thought I was crazy for having him sign it. Lol I laughed and told him whatever dude just sign the damn thing !! I see him ever so often and if anyone would like some more info on this I could gladly bug him a bit more about it.

IMG
IMG
Tell him the guy from Duo Dimensions says hello...

bob

hey nec, did you ever do anything with the air zonk deck sticker?

Nec.Game.head

Quote from: Dicer on 04/02/2017, 09:18 PM

IMG
IMG
Tell him the guy from Duo Dimensions says hello...
Most definitely will do guy from Duo Dimensions !! I should be seeing him again soon enough bro ...
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!