OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Out of curiosity....

Started by Artabasdos, 03/30/2017, 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artabasdos

....what's it like to play Street Fighter II on PCE with a 2 button controller? I remember playing it at a friend's house on an Amiga 500, and that only used 1 button! Was a complete nightmare, and it looked like ass too compared to the MD/SNES. Is the PCE version any better made for non-6 button pads?

tbone3969

Quote from: Artabasdos on 03/30/2017, 10:45 AM....what's it like to play Street Fighter II on PCE with a 2 button controller? I remember playing it at a friend's house on an Amiga 500, and that only used 1 button! Was a complete nightmare, and it looked like ass too compared to the MD/SNES. Is the PCE version any better made for non-6 button pads?
Just get a six button pad.  Without one it's about the best set up you can get with only two buttons.

I recently tried emulating the Amiga CD32 version of Street Fighter 2 just for fun.  What a piece of garbage.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Artabasdos

Quote from: tbone3969 on 03/30/2017, 10:49 AM
Quote from: Artabasdos on 03/30/2017, 10:45 AM....what's it like to play Street Fighter II on PCE with a 2 button controller? I remember playing it at a friend's house on an Amiga 500, and that only used 1 button! Was a complete nightmare, and it looked like ass too compared to the MD/SNES. Is the PCE version any better made for non-6 button pads?
Just get a six button pad.  Without one it's about the best set up you can get with only two buttons.
I have it on my Megadrive with a 6 button pad. I don't need the PCE version. I'm just curious if the PCE pulls off a better version than the Amiga did.

Otaking

it's not a great experience without the 6 button pad if I recall. If you're a Steet Fighter II fan a six button pad is definitely a good investment.

Edit. The PC Engine port of SFII is miles better than the Amiga, the Amiga version was awful, the PCE port I feel is superior to the Mega Drive.

SFC > PCE  > MD >>>>>>>>>> Amiga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

Ex_Mosquito

The Amiga version is SF2 by name and gfx only. They should be embarrassed that they released it in the state that they did, it's shockingly bad and it plays nothing like SF2 at all, a pure cash grab made with zero respect or passion for the game at all. The PCE version is excellent.

For the record EVERY arcade conversion that was on the Amiga was better on the PCE.

Artabasdos

Quote from: Ex_Mosquito on 03/30/2017, 10:59 AMThe Amiga version is SF2 by name and gfx only. They should be embarrassed that they released it in the state that they did, it's shockingly bad and it plays nothing like SF2 at all, a pure cash grab made with zero respect or passion for the game at all. The PCE version is excellent.

For the record EVERY arcade conversion that was on the Amiga was better on the PCE.
Yeah. US Gold is famous for crap ports. Then again, the Amiga joysticks usually only had 1 button. There were some with 2, but AFAIK barely any games supported it outside of Super Street Fighter 2.

Artabasdos

Quote from: tbone3969I recently tried emulating the Amiga CD32 version of Street Fighter 2 just for fun.  What a piece of garbage.
Yeah, the Amiga CD32 version is crap. They had 6 buttons for once, but they chopped out so animation it's retarded. The CD32 should be capable of running it about as well as the 3D0 version.

NecroPhile

It's actually three buttons, using run as one of the three buttons and select to switch between punch/kick.  It's perfectly playable, but you'll obviously want a 6-button pad to play it 'correctly'.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

majors

Quote from: Artabasdos on 03/30/2017, 10:52 AMI don't need the PCE version.
Oh, you need it...NEED IT!

Don't worry, any lot buy of hu's will have SF2 and a few Peach boys along with a few F1 Circus looseys.

But to answer your Q, the run button acts as jab(short) and you switch from between punches nad kics using the select button. It's the same setup for Fighting Street IIRC.
[edit, dolp...Nec beat me to the PUNCH!]
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Artabasdos

Quote from: majors on 03/30/2017, 11:40 AM
Quote from: Artabasdos on 03/30/2017, 10:52 AMI don't need the PCE version.
Oh, you need it...NEED IT!

Don't worry, any lot buy of hu's will have SF2 and a few Peach boys along with a few F1 Circus looseys.

But to answer your Q, the run button acts as jab(short) and you switch from between punches nad kics using the select button. It's the same setup for Fighting Street IIRC.
[edit, dolp...Nec beat me to the PUNCH!]
Nah. I'm not a fan of owning multiple copies of the same game. Plus it means I need to buy a 6 button controller.

I actually wanna get the Peach Boy platform game.

majors

Quote from: Artabasdos on 03/30/2017, 11:53 AMI'm not a fan of owning multiple copies of the same game.
"Same game"...hmmm...so you're not a big time SF fan I take it?

As for Peach Boy, your talking Katsugeki one? Yeah, that is decent and cheap also.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Artabasdos

Quote from: majors on 03/30/2017, 01:17 PM
Quote from: Artabasdos on 03/30/2017, 11:53 AMI'm not a fan of owning multiple copies of the same game.
"Same game"...hmmm...so you're not a big time SF fan I take it?

As for Peach Boy, your talking Katsugeki one? Yeah, that is decent and cheap also.
I like old SF games just fine. I own SF Alpha 3 on Saturn, which is rare as fuck lol. I prefer SNK fighters though. I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting Fatal Fury Special on PCE CD at some point.

NecroPhile

So you'll be needing a 6-button pad anyway.  Ya might as well buy SFII and check it out for yourself, seeing as it's a relatively cheap game....... either that or get an Everdrive.  We'll convince you yet, dammit!  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Artabasdos

Quote from: guest on 03/30/2017, 03:24 PMSo you'll be needing a 6-button pad anyway.  Ya might as well buy SFII and check it out for yourself, seeing as it's a relatively cheap game....... either that or get an Everdrive.  We'll convince you yet, dammit!  :mrgreen:
Lol. I may do just too see how it plays on the 2 button. It's only around £12 for a loose HuCard.

6 button maybe. I will likely be getting a CD unit & IFU first.

tbone3969

You have Alpha 3 on Saturn and don't have the PCE version of SF?

Sad really.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

PukeSter

It's a great version, but keep in mind it doesn't include turbo version.

Artabasdos

Quote from: tbone3969 on 03/30/2017, 04:15 PMYou have Alpha 3 on Saturn and don't have the PCE version of SF?

Sad really.
I got my PC Engine 2 days ago. I don't even have any HuCard games or controller yet. I'm also a massive SEGA fan.

PukeSter

Quote from: Artabasdos on 03/30/2017, 04:40 PM
Quote from: tbone3969 on 03/30/2017, 04:15 PMYou have Alpha 3 on Saturn and don't have the PCE version of SF?

Sad really.
I got my PC Engine 2 days ago. I don't even have any HuCard games or controller yet. I'm also a massive SEGA fan.
Better pick up some of those sega ports then

My favorites are fantasy zone, outrun and shinobi

Artabasdos

Quote from: guest on 03/30/2017, 04:46 PM

Sad really.
Fantasy Zone feels at home on the Master System to me. Outrun looks like a great port, but is pretty pricey, especially when compared to the Megadrive version. I've never cared for Shinobi.

tbone3969

Sad really.
I'm just bustin your chops.  Honestly though, you gotta play SF on the PCE.  To me it's by far the one game that really shows off what the little machine can do.  The fact that it runs better than the Genesis version says something.

esteban

Quote from: Artabasdos on 03/30/2017, 04:48 PM
Quote from: guest on 03/30/2017, 04:46 PM

Sad really.
Fantasy Zone feels at home on the Master System to me. Outrun looks like a great port, but is pretty pricey, especially when compared to the Megadrive version. I've never cared for Shinobi.

I really enjoy the Space Harrier port for PCE.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Artabasdos

Quote from: tbone3969 on 03/30/2017, 04:54 PM

Sad really.
I'm just bustin your chops.  Honestly though, you gotta play SF on the PCE.  To me it's by far the one game that really shows off what the little machine can do.  The fact that it runs better than the Genesis version says something.
Yeah, it is a nice demonstration of what the base PCE hardware is capable of. I dunno about running better than the Megadrive version though. After watching YouTube footage of the PCE version, it looks about the same. The voices are much clearer, but they only suck on the MD because of the buggy sound driver Capcom used. The patched version sounds better than the PCE.
Also, the PCE version has some stuff missing apparently. Still, considering it only has an 8th of the MD's RAM yet pulls off such a close version is amazing.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Artabasdos on 03/30/2017, 05:00 PM

Sad really.
Yeah, it is a nice demonstration of what the base PCE hardware is capable of. I dunno about running better than the Megadrive version though. After watching YouTube footage of the PCE version, it looks about the same. The voices are much clearer, but they only suck on the MD because of the buggy sound driver Capcom used. The patched version sounds better than the PCE.
Also, the PCE version has some stuff missing apparently. Still, considering it only has an 8th of the MD's RAM yet pulls off such a close version is amazing.
The patched version is still far off from the PC Engine version, which sounds comparable to the arcade, but it's still much better than the SNES version.

https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/sfiice_sfx_audio_deathmatch.avi

The main problem with Capcom's Genesis port, aside from the dev team not being familiar with the hardware, is that they insisted on having arcade-unfaithful overlapping voices, like the SNES version. The Genesis can only do single channel "hardware samples".

The PC Engine version includes little things from the arcade than are missing or gimped in other versions.

https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/sfiice_comp_misc.html

The Mega Drive version got a bunch of exclusive extra details, like the intro and Continue? animations. But a lot of the effects suffered from lack of shading and color.

The PC Engine operates different than the Genesis and SNES and doesn't need to hold a bunch of stuff in ram to render an image. It's fast at animation and good at handling a lot of everything happening at once. Sapphire is a good example. All that the Arcade Card format does is provide that much more (from CD games) to throw at the PC Engine hardware at once. I think that some bosses have as many frames of animation as all of the sprites in Donkey Kong Country combined and handles two players at the same time filling the screen with bullets.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

seieienbu

I'm a big fan of fighting games and enjoy doing combos for really no reason.  Just for fun a while ago, I played SF2 for a bit on a 2 button pad to see if I could successfully land a few combos.  It was odd getting used to it, but after a while I was able to do things like this Guile combo:
Sonic Boom, whiff Knee Bazooka, stand jab, crouch strong xx Sonic Boom. 

Knee Bazooka, done by holding back and hitting medium kick, is useful to approach the other guy while charging up for a Sonic Boom.  In this case it lets me continue the combo by following up the projectile while storing a charge to use in the future.  It's far from the most complicated SF2 combo, sure, but the important thing is that I was able to use both punches and kicks in tandem while hitting a single button to switch back and forth between them.

That being said, there are many things in the game that are completely impossible due to the limitations of the 2 button controller like this Ken combo: 
crouch short, crouch short, stand fierce xx Shoryuken

...due to the need to hit a kick button on the same frame as the standing fierce punch to make that combo work.  I was able to get it to happen on a 6 button pad however.  From a gameplay standpoint, the PCE version seems quite accurate to me.  There are interesting oddities included such as the mechanic allowing aforementioned Ken combo, doing juggle combos on Dhalsim, or hitting an opponent with a redizzy combo.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Artabasdos

Quote from: guest on 03/30/2017, 09:58 PM
Quote from: Artabasdos on 03/30/2017, 05:00 PM

Sad really.
The patched version is still far off from the PC Engine version, which sounds comparable to the arcade, but it's still much better than the SNES version.

https://superpcenginegrafx.net/sfiice_sfx_audio_deathmatch.avi

The main problem with Capcom's Genesis port, aside from the dev team not being familiar with the hardware, is that they insisted on having arcade-unfaithful overlapping voices, like the SNES version. The Genesis can only do single channel "hardware samples".

The PC Engine version includes little things from the arcade than are missing or gimped in other versions.

https://superpcenginegrafx.net/sfiice_comp_misc.html

The Mega Drive version got a bunch of exclusive extra details, like the intro and Continue? animations. But a lot of the effects suffered from lack of shading and color.

The PC Engine operates different than the Genesis and SNES and doesn't need to hold a bunch of stuff in ram to render an image. It's fast at animation and good at handling a lot of everything happening at once. Sapphire is a good example. All that the Arcade Card format does is provide that much more (from CD games) to throw at the PC Engine hardware at once. I think that some bosses have as many frames of animation as all of the sprites in Donkey Kong Country combined and handles two players at the same time filling the screen with bullets.
The first link just goes to a black page. From watching YouTube vids the patched Genesis version sounds better to me.
That 2nd link is really cool. Thank you.
Also, I'm still learning about the PC Engine. How exactly does it get away with so little main RAM?

soop

Hah, it's not quite as bad as that - the Amiga conversion was complete trash, but apparantly they didn't have access to any source code when they made it - all they had was a coin-op and they had to make do.

IIRC, you use select to swap between punches and kicks, and then Run I and II are the actual attack buttons.  It's playable, but it's not exactly great.  I recommend the Fighting Commander by Hori, it's actually probably my fave pad.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Artabasdos

Quote from: soop on 03/31/2017, 10:37 AM
Hah, it's not quite as bad as that - the Amiga conversion was complete trash, but apparantly they didn't have access to any source code when they made it - all they had was a coin-op and they had to make do.

IIRC, you use select to swap between punches and kicks, and then Run I and II are the actual attack buttons.  It's playable, but it's not exactly great.  I recommend the Fighting Commander by Hori, it's actually probably my fave pad.
God yes! SFII on Amiga 500 was crap. My friend had it on there, and you had to swap discs like every friggin minute. The controls were a nightmare, and it was phenomenally ugly. The Amiga can put 64 colours onscreen apparently with an "EHB" mode. Yet I doubt it had above about 30. The Megadrive version utterly destroyed it, even using the 3 button pads!