OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

PC-FX Homebrew

Started by ruinatokyo, 10/10/2006, 04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruinatokyo

A person by the name of cdoty released a basic port of his "Frog Feast" game for the pc-fx.

Available at wayback://frogfeast.rastersoft.net/PCFXFrogDemo.zip

He tested it in magicenginefx and says it should work on a real PC-FX. I've written him but he hasn't replied back yet. I'm going to try burning it tonight and see if it actually runs on the machine.

I plan to do some coding and release some demos and games for the PC-FX, but I really need to talk with someone that's done it before.

That is, most japanese sites about the FX-GA state that it will not make games that are playable on a PC-FX. I'm not sure if this has to do with some copyrighted bootblock for the CD's or whatever. cdoty said he had to modify somethin in order to get it to run. We'll see.

If it pans out, I'm going to go out and buy a used PC-9800 system and the FX-GA for a few bucks, the coding guide, and get cracking.

Keranu

I am excited to hear that you are interested in developing for the PC-FX! We really need more developers for the poor old system so we can make it a much more worthwhile console (and because of the cool hardware specs). The only place I know of that you could go for help is #utopiasoft on EFnet on IRC, though it's mainly a PC Engine development channel. Look forward to seeing any progress you, or anyone else, makes and wish you good luck! :)
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

ruinatokyo

Hey Keranu,

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I think the PC-FX has some interesting hardware that was not taken advantage of by the small amount of commercial software out there. I'd like to try to really take advantage of it (or help others to).

The thing that's really piqued my interest now, something I noticed in the Anime Freak series and in Yuna FX.. regular game graphics can be overlayed (with transparency and other effects) over the full motion video.

I'm thinking of taking some dvd footage (stock footage etc) from a plane flying over some interesting landscape, convert that to the PC-FX's full motion video format, and use that as a background for a shootemup. There could even be predator-like ships that go from 100% transparent to the background video to 'appearing' or other stuff, the possibilities are endless. This could also be used to port laserdisc games very easily like dragon's lair and so on.

Keranu

ruinatokyo that sounds KICK ASS! I would really love to see that, I love that kind of stuff. The cool thing about developing for PC-FX as oppose to PCE is that there NEEDS to be more shooters for the PC-FX while there are so many shooters for the PCE that you don't really need to develop them.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

ruinatokyo

Well, I've just burned the "Frog Feast" demo.
I inserted an Ayumi Hamasaki wav file and changed the cue.
It boooooots!

I thought some sorta custom bootblock would forbid homebrew on a real PC-FX, but whatever cdoty did, it works.

The demo is just a picture, nothing fancy, but it shows homebrew is possible. This is going to get interesting.

Keranu

I wasn't even aware that cdoty was porting his Frog Feast game to PC-FX, or I forgot. It's good to hear that homebrew is definitely a possibility for PC-FX then. Hopefully the good stuff will come soon enough :) .
IMG

ruinatokyo

Would you know how to contact him? I tried 2 of his email addresses and neither received a reply over the past 10 days.

Keranu

Nah sorry, don't know of a good way to contact him. He sometimes posts on the Magic Engine boards for some technical info, so you might be able to get his attention there or find any further contact info on those boards.
IMG

OldRover

The only problem with cdoty is that he tends to keep a lot of information to himself, only divulging his "secrets" when you buy his sourcecode. I'd seriously like to get into PC-FX development but there's just simply not enough good information for the layman to get started with. :(
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

port187

I am a new PC-FX owner (for the collection) but I would like to experiance this console to the fullest before packing it back in for the collection ;) anyway I have some original games but I want to buy some more, before I do that I would love to be able to test a couple 'backup' games to be sure they are cool.. so it's a little sidetrack from homebrew software but: Is it possible to play backups on the PC-FX by default? does it need some kind of mod chip? if by default can I just download the roms available on torrent sites burn them on cdr's and play?
Thanks!

CrackTiger

Quote from: port187 on 01/04/2007, 09:25 AMI am a new PC-FX owner (for the collection) but I would like to experiance this console to the fullest before packing it back in for the collection ;) anyway I have some original games but I want to buy some more, before I do that I would love to be able to test a couple 'backup' games to be sure they are cool.. so it's a little sidetrack from homebrew software but: Is it possible to play backups on the PC-FX by default? does it need some kind of mod chip? if by default can I just download the roms available on torrent sites burn them on cdr's and play?
Thanks!
Well, if you're not planning on buying cdr copies, then there's a quick and easy way to find out.  :P
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Keranu

You can play games back-uped on CDRs just fine on your PC-FX.
IMG

port187

Quote from: guest on 01/04/2007, 04:06 PM
Quote from: port187 on 01/04/2007, 09:25 AMI am a new PC-FX owner (for the collection) but I would like to experiance this console to the fullest before packing it back in for the collection ;) anyway I have some original games but I want to buy some more, before I do that I would love to be able to test a couple 'backup' games to be sure they are cool.. so it's a little sidetrack from homebrew software but: Is it possible to play backups on the PC-FX by default? does it need some kind of mod chip? if by default can I just download the roms available on torrent sites burn them on cdr's and play?
Thanks!
Well, if you're not planning on buying cdr copies, then there's a quick and easy way to find out.  :P
Thanks guys! the problem with the easy way to find out was that I searched around but didnt find any live torrents of pc-fx games around, so instead of search myself silly for nothing or burning them wrong if I would find any I wanted to have it confirmed as I remembered somebody mentioning something to me about a special trick once..? anyway great news! as some/most games can cost quite alot and I don't want to spend a little fortune on no fun or unplayable (too japanese for me) games.

port187

Sorry for the off topics here ;) but is there any special way to burn them? I have found several iso's (roms) online that if I mount with alcohol and play with the emulator work fine but when burned on cd both the emulator and the pc-fx doesnt play them (Burned with Nero - Burn Image on a MMore CDR-80) while the emulator does recognizes it as a pc-fx cd!? anyway do I need to use another burn tool or cd or any other special action because the roms found are only for use with the emu in that state? hope somebody can help thanks :)

NecroPhile

Check www.necstasy.net for verified table of contents and burning instructions.  I've never made a back-up of a PC-FX image, but I'm guessing that the process would be similar to a Turbo CD.  At the very least, your table of contents should match those at necstasy.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

port187

Quote from: guest on 01/08/2007, 05:13 PMCheck www.necstasy.net for verified table of contents and burning instructions.  I've never made a back-up of a PC-FX image, but I'm guessing that the process would be similar to a Turbo CD.  At the very least, your table of contents should match those at necstasy.
Thanks bro, it worked! actually I had to find a workaround as CDRWIN didn't support my Pioneer burner, anyway mounted image file with alcohol and burned with 'copy cd' in nero using the 'karaoke cd' settings.
Anyway PM me if somebody needs more info or help!

NecroPhile

Glad to hear that you got it working - now go play some Zeroigar!  :dance:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Keranu

Speaking of this thread, I haven't seen ruina on #utopiasoft in awhile. I hope he's still up to doing PC-FX homebrew.
IMG

port187

Quote from: Keranu on 01/09/2007, 06:05 PMSpeaking of this thread, I haven't seen ruina on #utopiasoft in awhile. I hope he's still up to doing PC-FX homebrew.
That's kinda what I was wondering about, as this console is so old now and the isa card was available to make homebrew games or apps still I never managed to find something like that on the net (yet) probably because almost all guys making that stuff have to speak japanese :/ so guess its really hard to find for a very basic speaker.
Maybe somebody reading knows of some site or name of some homwbrew stuff for the fx? anything?

Keranu

Interestingly enough, I saw ruina pop into #utopiasoft for like a couple minutes last night and then leave.
IMG

port187

Quote from: guest on 01/09/2007, 01:47 PMGlad to hear that you got it working - now go play some Zeroigar!  :dance:
This game rules! hope to find it original for a reasonable price!

ruinatokyo

I'm still interested in the homebrew and have done some homework on it, but I can't find GMAKER and/or the required hacks for getting GMAKER code running on the PC-FX.

If anyone has any contacts, let me know.

Keranu

HOLY CRAP, ruina! I swear medafen just had a thread on these boards selling GMAKER, but now I can't find it! I hope mednafen didn't delete it or something because it got sold. It was just up like yesterday too!
IMG

Mednafen

http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-FX-GMAKER-developer-kit-devkit-rare_W0QQitemZ200099793750QQihZ010QQcategoryZ187QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

After I made the topic, I wasn't sure if posting eBay links was fine, as some other boards complain about it...

Keranu

Posting eBay links is perfectly acceptable here, thanks for reposting the link.
IMG