10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Best method to region mod a TG16

Started by LowRes, 04/19/2017, 07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowRes

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting the Obey chip V3, the install looks pretty simple and straight forward, I also like that you don't have to cut any traces on the pcb.  Before I go ahead and order one I thought I would check if there's a newer better method to region mod a system.  Would the Obey v3 be the best way to go?

also interested in opinions on where is the best place to mount the switch.
Started a US TurboGrafx-16 Collection in 2017! ... Then I moved on to PC Engine

Keith Courage

There are a number of different ways to do a region mod. Most people cut the card slot pins and not the individual traces but it can be done with either method. Which system are you wanting to mod?

Obey chip
CBT3383 Chip
MC14551 Chips
8PDT switch.

mickcris was selling some CBT3383 chips for cheap but I'm not sure if he is doing that anymore.

LowRes

Quote from: Keith Courage on 04/19/2017, 02:43 PMThere are a number of different ways to do a region mod. Most people cut the card slot pins and not the individual traces but it can be done with either method. Which system are you wanting to mod?

Obey chip
CBT3383 Chip
MC14551 Chips
8PDT switch.

mickcris was selling some CBT3383 chips for cheap but I'm not sure if he is doing that anymore.
I'm looking at region modding my US Turbografx 16.  Was looking at the obey chip v3 which cuts the card slot pins.  Looks fairly easy.  Just wanted to hear what method most people have been using and like.

mickcris

if its a tg16, you may want to use this.
https://www.game-tech.us/product/tg-16-region-mod/
its less destructive than cutting the card slot pins

Keith Courage

Oddly enough, I've done some mods by cutting the traces and they've all turned out well but they have always taken me much much longer to do. I am just so much faster at doing it the card slot cutting way. Plus when cutting the card slot, if there is an issue from maybe getting a wire mixed up it's easier to track down the mistake. Sure beats having to stare at all those tiny traces to track down a problem.

For the most part I use the CBT3383 Chips for almost every system I mod now. I use 8PDT switches for DUO-R/RX systems just because they mount well to the place a prefer, and every 1 out of 20 times I find a system that works better with the MC14551 chip setup. So I have a few of those on hand just in case.

LowRes

Thanks guys for the suggestions.  I went ahead  and ordered the Obey v3, I agree it's easier to fix an issue with the card slot pins instead of an issue with broken traces on the pcb :)

mickcris

Don't 100% agree with that.  If the pins get too hot and pull out the plastic connector, it's almost impossible to fix.  Traces are easy, just run a wire to reconnect 2 points.

Keith Courage

I've never had a Hu card slot fail on me due to performing a region mod. But then again I don't heat up the pins forever either. Probably easier to do with the obey 3 chip since the pins have to be so much shorter.