Youtube: PC-88 Paradise (new video on the shmup "Final Crisis" is up!)

Started by kazekirifx, 04/25/2017, 01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kazekirifx

Quote from: elmer on 06/27/2017, 12:55 PMYep, I've got the original Japanese Xanadu Next, and recently applied the translation patch to it so that I can finally play it.

Perhaps I need to give it another try, but it just didn't click with me when I started playing it.
I can totally see why Xanadu Next wouldn't click with someone. Especially now that it's so old. In order to enjoy it, you have to be ready to enjoy a pretty dry RPG with a very simple story and characters (if you could even call them characters). For me, it helps having played the original Xanadu PC-88 game, and imagining that this is supposed to be some sort of 3D follow-up to it (which it is). It probably also helped a lot that I payed full price for it and got it on the release date, so I had to try to play it (sunk cost).

The original Xanadu theme music is there, and the dungeons manage to look kind of old-school Falcomy, despite being in 3D. But the gameplay itself is based on Western realtime RPG's like Diablo. Move with the mouse and click an enemy to attack. Later patches allowed you to use a gamepad for a more normal ARPG experience, which I found a bit easier to play so I switched to this partway through the game. I felt a bit like I was missing out on what the original gameplay was supposed to be that way though.

Not a great or amazing game by any means, but enjoyable enough if you're willing to give it some time and attention. It was released when Falcom was still kind coming out of their "confused" period (late 90's to early 2000's), when they didn't have a lot of good sellers and they didn't seem to know what to make. They tried a lot of things before finding what stuck (new Ys and Legend of Heroes games).

Michirin9801

Quote from: elmer on 06/27/2017, 12:55 PM
Quote from: Michirin9801 on 06/26/2017, 09:33 PMI might get a PS4 or a Vita someday, probably a Vita because I prefer playing my games on handhelds, then I'll see about playing Ys 8...
Well, I hope that you don't try that with the first Legend of Xanadu game!  :lol:

LoX2 would be fine on a handheld, but IMHO, you'll need a really good memory and a head for mapping if you want to play LoX1 without taking any notes ... the maps are a big too big, and you have to go back-n-forth a lot.
I don't think my 3DS is gonna be ready for hacking by the time the translations come out >w>
I'm only gonna hack mine and install emulators on it once Nintendo stops updating the system, I don't wanna risk having my Nintendo account banned, so I'll probably just play it on my PC, besides, it's an action-RPG, it's much more tolerable to play on the bigger screen to me than a regular old RPG like Dragon Quest...
And no, I don't have any other means of emulating stuff portably, for now I'm using my DStwo flashcart for the original DS, which means it runs in DS mode and can't take advantage of the 3DS's superior hardware, but it can run PCE well enough with NitroGrafx, and even CD games, but with s*** PSG sound and way-too-quiet ADPCM, not to mention the resolution issues, since it's running in DS mode it's displaying a 256 x 192 resolution but then blowing it up to 320 x 240 so not only is it missing details but it's also blurry...
It gets the job done, but it's far from ideal, so I have other emulators to keep me busy, not to mention proper DS and 3DS games (love me some Street Fighter IV on-the-go~)

Quote from: esteban on 06/27/2017, 08:10 AMOr, my ultimate dream: a shootemup puzzle game that has two distinct modes of play—, BUT ALSO has a "surreal" mode that allows you to instantly swap back and forth between puzzler and shootemup as necessary (think Tetris or 3D Tetris...but that is just the obvious starting point).
Ever played Quarth?
I haven't... But I've seen it, and it's the closest thing I know to a shmup puzzler... It might be close enough to what you want! It's on the NES and Game Boy, perhaps some other systems? I don't know...

Quote from: guest on 06/27/2017, 01:11 AMthis is interesting to me, because I bought a Vita TV to stop having to play Vita RPGs on the thing.

I got tired of sitting there staring at my crotch trying to level grind.

Though, I definitely used PSP/Vita during college as well. 

It's nice to now be able to plug into a TV also.
Yeah I get what you mean, most people prefer playing their games on bigger screens, I'm just not one of them >w>';

esteban

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 06/28/2017, 12:54 AM
Quote from: esteban on 06/27/2017, 08:10 AMOr, my ultimate dream: a shootemup puzzle game that has two distinct modes of play—, BUT ALSO has a "surreal" mode that allows you to instantly swap back and forth between puzzler and shootemup as necessary (think Tetris or 3D Tetris...but that is just the obvious starting point).
Ever played Quarth?
I haven't... But I've seen it, and it's the closest thing I know to a shmup puzzler... It might be close enough to what you want! It's on the NES and Game Boy, perhaps some other systems? I don't know...
Yes, mighty Quarth :)

I think that it is a good starting point... but it is a seed that can grow and blossom into many different variants.

I was also going to mention the brief moments you can grab a gun and shoot in Arkanoid and Buster Bros. as other possible starting points for a hybrid....

(daydreaming continues)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

elmer

Quote from: kazekirifx on 06/18/2017, 08:49 PMMy brother has been trying to review every Neo Geo game in order of NGH number.
Woo hoo ... he got his ASO II review up!  :dance:
That seemed like a nice and fair review of one of my favorite games!  :D

kazekirifx

Yeah. Right on.

I am working on one PCE and one PC-88 at the moment. Sorry for the long long delay in making any new content.

Michirin9801

Quote from: kazekirifx on 07/28/2017, 12:52 AMYeah. Right on.

I am working on one PCE and one PC-88 at the moment. Sorry for the long long delay in making any new content.
Don't worry mate, take your time ^^
Looking forward to those videos!

kazekirifx

I also made a separate thread in the PCE Supergrafx section, but I'll also mention here that I just put up a video on the Shubibinman series.

IMG

I am also in the middle of making a PC-88 video, and hope to have it up soon.

esteban

Quote from: kazekirifx on 08/05/2017, 02:49 AMI also made a separate thread in the PCE Supergrafx section, but I'll also mention here that I just put up a video on the Shubibinman series.

IMG

I am also in the middle of making a PC-88 video, and hope to have it up soon.
I am lagging! I still need to catch up and watch a few of your videos.

I EAGERLY ANTICIPATE EXCELLENCE.   

:)

kazekirifx

All right, I know I keep teasing my next PC-88 video, and it really is very close to done. Unfortunately I had to work on this click-baity Sonic Mania video we had to make this week. Check it out if you're interested. I plan to have my video on "Wibarm" for PC-88 up very soon though.

IMG

kazekirifx

Hey guys. Sorry this video took so long for me to put together. It took me a while to learn to play this game, capture all the game footage, and edit it all together into a somewhat coherent video. It was fun to do a game that wasn't made by Falcom this time. I've got plenty more PC-88 games in my collection by Falcom and others that I'm still looking forward to covering in the future. Anyway, for now I'm dying to know how you guys like this game and my video!

IMG

Michirin9801

Yaaaay~ More PC-88 stuff!
I've been looking for this game for a while, I've seen it once but I've never managed to figure out what was its name... This video sure came in handy for not only that, but also for helping me to play it!
Very nice, and I can tell you're getting better at making videos too ^^

kazekirifx

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 08/30/2017, 01:03 AMI can tell you're getting better at making videos too ^^
LOL. Yeah. It's been a trial by fire learning Adobe Premiere, but I feel like I'm slowly getting the hang of it. Throwing together that damn Sonic video was good practice.

I still feel that "Star Trader" is my best work, though. (Third video I ever put together.)

kazekirifx

OK. I finally made the video I've been wanting to make ever since I started this series. This one is all about the particular PC-88 hardware which I own. It should be especially interesting to you Turbo folks since it uses part of the PCE hardware as an add-on.
Please check out the video. I'm dying to know what you guys think.

munchiaz

Michirin9801

^Very nice indeed ;3
It's good to see this PC-88 model I wasn't familiar with... It looks awesome!

kazekirifx

Hey guys. I finally got around to making a new video in this series.

This time I am covering an impressive shmup that was released late in the PC-88's life (1991). I'd be really interested to hear what my fellow turbo folks think of this game.

IMG

NightWolve

Guess I missed this ?? I gave you a sub, I'll watch the Ys episode in a bit. :)

kazekirifx

Better late to the party than never, NightWolve. Hope you enjoy the videos.

esteban

Goddamn. Superb video. I commented on TubeYou.

——

"Yet another superb video! Damn, the music sounds great, but I agree—SoundBoard II support probably would have elevated the already solid soundtrack to greater heights. I eagerly await the next video..."

Gypsy

kazekirifx

If anyone's interested, I participated in this video on Seiken Densetsu 3 recently.
This video helped me realize again how much I need a better mic. Just ordered one today.

-Mr. Jakes (kazekirifx)

turboswimbz

NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!