10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

"PCEWorks" finally bootlegs Magical Chase

Started by CrackTiger, 05/18/2017, 06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazydean

Quote from: Winniez on 05/31/2017, 08:40 PMYou wouldn't belive the collectarding one can encounter in the world of comic books, LEGO or vintage toys.
This could be due to the fact these items were originally marketed to children. Hence, there are a lot of child-like adults acting like children.

ClodBusted

Quote from: Winniez on 05/31/2017, 08:40 PM. You wouldn't belive the collectarding one can encounter in the world of comic books, LEGO
Sadly it's true, I see a lot of apparently 'grown up' persons bragging about their newest acquisition of a LEPIN STAR WRNS set. Even new sets like the Lego Technic Porsche got bootlegged in no time, and there are all these silly Youtubers praising the 'quality', even though there are obvious quality issues (and possible health hazards for both customers, their kids and think of the poor people working in the Shenzen bootleg plants) with these. Also moral issues.

There are even bootlegs in the R/C car world, there had been fake Tamiyas since the late 80s (Fox/Killer) up to today (Baja Champ/Bonzer, and the numerous DF-03 Durga clones). Servos, too, there are more fake Futaba S3003 on the web than genuines. And the genuine one is just priced at 15 € per piece, so people must be pretty desperate and purposefully blind when they buy fakes in packs of four at ten bucks...

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ClodBusted

And these dumb buyers throw bundles of money at Lego bootleggers like Lepin. For the sake of getting their hands not only on 'out of print' models of the recent decade, but also on bootlegs of new releases and even bootlegs of fanmade Lego creations (stolen from various fansites as well as Lego Ideas).

This is especially stupid, since if there's a specific model you crave for, just download the instructions from Brickset.com or Peeron.com and build it yourself with your stock of parts and the missing ones provided by e.g. Bricklink. It may not have every sticker, printed part or minifigure. But those people who are willing to buy Lego bootlegs don't seem to care for genuineness anyway -  so what's the point?!

LostFlunky

Quote from: guest on 06/01/2017, 11:08 AMAnd these dumb buyers throw bundles of money at Lego bootleggers like Lepin. For the sake of getting their hands not only on 'out of print' models of the recent decade, but also on bootlegs of new releases and even bootlegs of fanmade Lego creations (stolen from various fansites as well as Lego Ideas).

This is especially stupid, since if there's a specific model you crave for, just download the instructions from Brickset.com or Peeron.com and build it yourself with your stock of parts and the missing ones provided by e.g. Bricklink. It may not have every sticker, printed part or minifigure. But those people who are willing to buy Lego bootlegs don't seem to care for genuineness anyway -  so what's the point?!
I am still not getting the Lego bootlegs - are the blocks recycled original blocks thrown together as a kit, or are the bootleggers manufacturing their own blocks for the bootleg set?

ClodBusted

They are manufacturing their own from copying the original blocks. Thus this affects shape, clutch power, print quality, color tone consistency and sticker quality in a bad way. Also the raw plastic material itself injected into the molds has quality issues.

Their manuals are also shitty. Copied straight from the originals, but squeezing more steps on less paper. Colors are off, and 1:1 comparisons (needed for technic axles) are rendered useless.

You simply can't have the same quality of genuine Lego bricks at a lower price. This is not even counting in the intellectual property of the creations itself as well as licensing contracts for franchise related sets.

Gentlegamer

When I was a kid, I made the Transformers I couldn't have out of Legos.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

SignOfZeta

Yeah, Lego is a quality engineered toy at its core. A shitty knock-off would be nonsense, like a bootleg Rolux that doesn't fool anyone.
IMG

PunkCryborg

I actually bought some bootleg Ninjago minifigures for my kids. They would take them places and loose them so I was like fuck it and bought the knock off set. You can get a set of 8 for $10 shipped. They look ok but my kids realized they were different right off the bat.
Oh and LOL at the new MC repros. I got flamed on the FB groups for calling out the hu card bootleggers because people thought they were better or somehow more justified to make them for "the community" and now look at them all working together LMFAO
Sad state for the PC Engine scene 2017, bootlegs were the worst thing to happen to our little world

LostFlunky

Quote from: guest on 06/01/2017, 12:24 PMThey are manufacturing their own from copying the original blocks. Thus this affects shape, clutch power, print quality, color tone consistency and sticker quality in a bad way. Also the raw plastic material itself injected into the molds has quality issues.

Their manuals are also shitty. Copied straight from the originals, but squeezing more steps on less paper. Colors are off, and 1:1 comparisons (needed for technic axles) are rendered useless.

You simply can't have the same quality of genuine Lego bricks at a lower price. This is not even counting in the intellectual property of the creations itself as well as licensing contracts for franchise related sets.
I get it now - I have actually bought knock off Lego at a dollar store just to have something at the office for when co-workers brought kids in and stuff.. they had sharp edges, wouldn't stay together and smelled like cancer... 

They ended up in the garbage before they could hurt any kids...

Gentlegamer

I think I still have a giant case full of 80s Legos.

For use, I would dump them out onto a Superfriends bed sheet on the floor.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

NoSexGex

Bullshit incoming
Only on the FB groups..

Bootlegs.webp
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

TheClash603

Quote from: guest on 06/03/2017, 04:00 PMBullshit incoming
Only on the FB groups..
Bootlegs.webp
It may be off to the side and out of frame, but I assume that penis contraption from the movie Seven is a pack-in, to really push the anal rape to the highest level?

incrediblehark

I always thought bootleg Legos were called Mega Bloks?

I get the newsletter from PCE Works and when I saw the Magical Chase I was interested to see if it was on CD or not. When I realized it was Hucard repro and then who actually made them, I went to the source instead and ordered just the card.

EDIT: Just read through the entire thread, been out of the loop for a while. I knew there was some issues with what Tobias was doing, didn't realize it had gone this far. I missed out on the Magical Chase repros that were sold on here way back and thought ordering one from turbokon was acceptable because of the history here. But it sounds like that was a mistake. BTW I have had a flash cart in the past from the group buy here but it never worked for me so I got rid of it. Figured repro was my best option.

NoSexGex

Quote from: incrediblehark on 06/03/2017, 04:18 PMBTW I have had a flash cart in the past from the group buy here but it never worked for me so I got rid of it. Figured repro was my best option.
Wow that's pretty sad actually. All the epic games you're missing out on
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"

SignOfZeta

Yes, what a sad miserable state of half-existence it would be to not have a flash card. This is why nobody who owned a PCE more than four years ago had ever enjoyed their system. Every one of them was %100 sad bastard because if there is one thing that needs to be known it's that you MUST GET A FLASH CARD or life is purgatory.
IMG

xcrement5x

So I just saw this cover, what did they do to Ripple?  She looks like some modern animu moe crap.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

NoSexGex

Well he bought his flash card for a reason. Probably because he doesn't have a full library of desirable physical games. So yeah, it is sad to be missing out. Especially if he's resorting to individually buying $40 repros.

ClodBusted

Quote from: guest on 06/03/2017, 09:11 PMSo I just saw this cover, what did they do to Ripple?  She looks like some modern animu moe crap.
I agree.

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/03/2017, 08:22 PMYes, what a sad miserable state of half-existence it would be to not have a flash card. This is why nobody who owned a PCE more than four years ago had ever enjoyed their system. Every one of them was %100 sad bastard because if there is one thing that needs to be known it's that you MUST GET A FLASH CARD or life is purgatory.
Hahahahhahjaja.

Totally!

I bought a flash cardt (sp?) years ago and HAVE YET TO USE IT ONCE.

Now, I'm not proud of this (I am an idiot, basically, and haven't even attempted to figure it out), but I know that one of these years I'll figure it out and be able to play translated ROMs and homebrew and Terra Cresta II on my console.

Until then, I'm still having tons of fun with my sad little PCE/TG-16. (The funny thing is that 99% of the time I am playing lots of the inexpensive/cheap games with my kids).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

incrediblehark

Quote from: guest on 06/03/2017, 10:42 PMWell he bought his flash card for a reason. Probably because he doesn't have a full library of desirable physical games. So yeah, it is sad to be missing out. Especially if he's resorting to individually buying $40 repros.
I was fortunate enough to build my collection years ago before prices skyrocketed, getting most of my games as loose HuCards on Yahoo Japan. But there are a few games I would like to play still that are too hard to find / too expensive / translated.

NoSexGex

Oh sweet! You're not missing a beat then. I'm in the same boat as Esteban, I have a ton of fun with those cheap PCE games. Reminds of an everdrive pop up on eBay the other day for $45USD. I roughly timed it selling within 60 seconds. Thought of buying it for someone else, but CAN shipping would most likely kill it. So competitive out there

SignOfZeta

It's not that I have a problem with flash cards (I have at least a half dozen for various systems, some of which actually still work!) it's just...so many posts lately about the things. This constant proselytizing for the them and the obsession with having every single game available all the time without even taking a game out of the slot...drives me crazy, hard to say why.

Sure, it's nice to be able to play Magical Chase (a game nobody would know about if eBay hadn't told them it was great) or other $$$ games but not only does it not smell like 80s Japan...it's all just kinda anti-human. It took millions of man hours to build the HuCARD library and personally I feel I experience it more thoroughly with $80 worth of games than an $80 flash card. There's more to a game than the ROM and I'm not talking about the paper and plastic boxes.
IMG

TheClash603

Quote from: esteban on 06/04/2017, 09:11 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/03/2017, 08:22 PMYes, what a sad miserable state of half-existence it would be to not have a flash card. This is why nobody who owned a PCE more than four years ago had ever enjoyed their system. Every one of them was %100 sad bastard because if there is one thing that needs to be known it's that you MUST GET A FLASH CARD or life is purgatory.
Hahahahhahjaja.

Totally!

I bought a flash cardt (sp?) years ago and HAVE YET TO USE IT ONCE.

Now, I'm not proud of this (I am an idiot, basically, and haven't even attempted to figure it out), but I know that one of these years I'll figure it out and be able to play translated ROMs and homebrew and Terra Cresta II on my console.

Until then, I'm still having tons of fun with my sad little PCE/TG-16. (The funny thing is that 99% of the time I am playing lots of the inexpensive.cheap games with my kids).
Same here, I bought an everdrive during a group buy and I have never used it.  I was excited to use the NES one I bought, but it seems to not actually work...  The only one I have successfully used is the N64 one, that seems to work like a charm.

I am the only guy on the planet that can't figure out how to get ROMs without instead just downloading 100 viruses, so I just kinda gave up on it.

SignOfZeta

Yeah, you must be dumb. Even my stupid ass knows how to warez.

I have two PCE flash cards, both dead. Quality control is a serious issue with these things, and that's another problem.

"Dude! Just get a Neo multi cart!"

"Dude, it smells like Harbor Freight and there's no such thing as KOF 2004."
IMG

Gredler

I love the smell of harbor freight, and is Samurai Spirits 94 a real thing?

SignOfZeta

There was a new Samurai for 1994, and IT is a real thing, that's all I know.
IMG

Gredler

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/05/2017, 05:53 PMThere was a new Samurai for 1994, and IT is a real thing, that's all I know.
Whew, wasn't sure if I was crazy or what. When I look for the ROM on my friend's emulation box I noticed Samurai Showdown II is the same game, but my Japanese AES Cart simply says Samurai Spirits and has a date of 1994 so I call it 1994.

Cabbage called me out as wtf is that, so I was curious if I got a bootleg or my ignorance is referring to it wrong? :P

SignOfZeta

The JP names have no numbers. It's all Shin this and Amakusa that.

There also WAS a KOF released in 2004, it just wasn't for Neo (called Neowave). The only truely lame KOF, it was for Atomiswave.
IMG

Gredler

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/05/2017, 08:18 PMThe JP names have no numbers. It's all Shin this and Amakusa that.
Mmmm sexy education from the zeta, thanks.

Are AES Bootlegs a thing? Do they run at a premium price like tobias' offerings? [weak attempt at steering back on topic]

NoSexGex

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/04/2017, 02:23 PMIt's not that I have a problem with flash cards (I have at least a half dozen for various systems, some of which actually still work!) it's just...so many posts lately about the things. This constant proselytizing for the them and the obsession with having every single game available all the time without even taking a game out of the slot...drives me crazy, hard to say why.

Sure, it's nice to be able to play Magical Chase (a game nobody would know about if eBay hadn't told them it was great) or other $$$ games but not only does it not smell like 80s Japan...it's all just kinda anti-human. It took millions of man hours to build the HuCARD library and personally I feel I experience it more thoroughly with $80 worth of games than an $80 flash card. There's more to a game than the ROM and I'm not talking about the paper and plastic boxes.
I think getting into TG16, CD's and Super CD's has always had a high barrier on entry getting in. Compared to just PCE. So not only is it expensive getting just the fundamentals to play, but getting a library of games is even worse. So people who were originally put off by this now have the chance to experience the hu card library. So even though everdrives have been around for a few years now, people are still proclaiming their love for them.. over and over again haha.

There's just something about original hardware though. Experiencing exactly what the game developers intended for their audience. They even have a signature smell to them, (anyone who denies not noticing this is a liar) :P. Everdrives overwhelm people from what i've noticed too. I'm personally enjoying playing through the PCE library one game at a time, as I get them. Someone here/somewhere else will mention a game that sounds cool, and i'll weasle myself a copy. But in the mean time while waiting for the slowest Canadian shipping possible, i'll continue experiencing my current title; until the new game comes.

I know in 2009 when I got into Nintendo emulation, it was easy to overlook certain titles because they fell in the shadow of more popular games. It might be ADHD, but knowing you have access to 500+ other games makes you antsy. Die a few times in solider blade, jump over to Raiden. Same thing, NEXT. And so on and on..

Contrasting this experience by being limited to only a couple games gives u more appreciation. In 2002 I was stuck with a rental N64 with one game; Indiana jones and the infernal machine. At the time I thought the controls, targeting system and everything else was really unique. And because I didn't have anything else to play, I stuck with it. Played through the entire thing and absolutely loved it.

But flash forward 15 years later, I'll watch my friends grab it from a stack of games on the table. Play it for 5 mins, say meh and move on.  Guaranteed the thousands of people who have this loaded onto an emulator have never appreciated it. Regardless of having 100% access to the game.

Just lost my train of thought haha.. probably time for bed

geise

Gex, everything you say is true.  I feel the same way man.

crazydean

I definitely understand the problem with being overwhelmed on the everdrive. However, I just began playing PCE about two years ago. If I had to buy games individually, a good portion of the library would have been off limits to me. Cost of entry for me was about $400 for a modded Duo and everdrive. With that same amount of cash, I would have been able to get a CoreGrafx and 10 or so cheap Huey's. The cost of a CD add-on would have been prohibitively expensive.

Say I play through 5 PCE games per year. With the everdrive, I can play 5 of the best games. Sure, I miss out on the mediocre 6/10 scored games. But, the alternative is to play through the five games that my wallet can afford. Isn't it better to be acquainted with the best games of a system rather than the ones the market dictates?

SignOfZeta

IMG

gojira1954

I like the everdrive, the ability to play hacks and demos makes it unique.
When I got an everdrive I planned on selling all my hucards but instead I ended up buying the few games I wanted that I was still missing - not that I ever play them tho I just use the everdrive due to convenience :s
back on topic - repros are shit & fuck tobias ;)

NoSexGex

Quote from: geise on 06/06/2017, 09:13 AMGex, everything you say is true.  I feel the same way man.
The natural way of things :D

Quote from: crazydean on 06/06/2017, 09:40 AMSay I play through 5 PCE games per year. With the everdrive, I can play 5 of the best games. Sure, I miss out on the mediocre 6/10 scored games. But, the alternative is to play through the five games that my wallet can afford. Isn't it better to be acquainted with the best games of a system rather than the ones the market dictates?
Awesome! It's not just me with ADHD that gets antsy looking at an entire library haha

If you can only play five games a year, then yeah make the most of it. Why not pick the best (acclaimed) possible titles. I think everyone has personal preferences/tastes though, so anything you hear/see that stands out to you; you can always just load it up the next time you're obeying.

Everyone has examples of this. Violent solider is a game I prefer playing over Gunhead, Even though it's way WAY more hyped over violent solider. But yeah.. personal preferences man

This is getting way off topic though^^

Some guy on the FB groups posted their "mail call" when they got theirs in, and it looked meh. Just a 1990's VHS tape holder with some printed papers. I forget what they were charging, but I was amazed (again) comparing the product to its absorbent cost.

CrackTiger

Having hundreds of HuCards to choose from is no different than the effects people are describing from have hundreds of roms to play through emulation or off of a TED.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

Quote from: CrackTiger on 06/06/2017, 01:52 PMHaving hundreds of HuCards to choose from is no different than the effects people are describing from have hundreds of roms to play through emulation or off of a TED.
Heh, that's what I was thinking.  There's not much difference when there's hundreds of "real" games sitting on the shelf already, plus I can download and burn just about any CD game.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 06/06/2017, 03:36 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/06/2017, 01:52 PMHaving hundreds of HuCards to choose from is no different than the effects people are describing from have hundreds of roms to play through emulation or off of a TED.
Heh, that's what I was thinking.  There's not much difference when there's hundreds of "real" games sitting on the shelf already, plus I can download and burn just about any CD game.
I have been doing the following for years:

I only have 1-3 consoles/handhelds "out" at any given time.

I grab a handful of games for each system and focus on those specific titles for 1-3 weeks.

After 1-3 weeks, I will swap new consoles/handhelds + accompanying games in and out of rotation.

Sure, sometimes I'll swap stuff out, but, for the most part, this has been the most enjoyable way to play games when you have tons of hardware/software.

Granted, I own a lot of crappy games because I bought cheap lots many years ago.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Gypsy

I have lots of games and systems. Not enough space to keep them all out, but I have as many as I can out at once. Hasn't really hindered my playing of games, but I can understand how someone could have too much of something to choose from. I get that way with my anime dvds/blus a lot.

SignOfZeta

I've been playing 2020 Super Baseball for a week straight with some Super Robot Wars V at work.

I can't afford every single Neo Geo game (and also, I wouldn't even if I could) so I'm playing the dozen or so I have and because of this I actually a) know how to play them and b) understand the game more completely. If I owned more games I'd be worse at 2020 Superbaseball.

At around 150 titles the Neo has less software than almost any system so this affect I'm describing goes quad or octo with a system like PCE.

You've done the math, you've checked the prices, you've done everything the correct and Youtubiest way possible. You have a SGX with Super CDROM2 modded for region and RGB. You have it ALL.

To know the price of everything and the value of nothing...that kind of thing, is what I'm seeing. The true    connoisseur is focused on what's in front of him, not a list of xxx.pce or a massive shelf. Unless you're actually experiencing the games you're simply a cave man playing with lasers that has zero clue WTF he is doing.

Breadth is useless without depth.

Some of you herbs are hollow, is what I'm saying.
IMG

roflmao

I tend to stick with a single game per console for awhile as well. For instance, I picked up Genji Tsushin Agedama a few weeks ago and I've been playing that almost exclusively.

crazydean

I prefer to play every game on my everdrive for ten minutes then move to another system. My goal is to play every game on every console.

NecroPhile

I'm kinda like este with my game playing, except that I only have five total platforms and they're all connected all the time.  Two of 'em are rarely played: FEKA, for which I only have a handful of LA games, and the PC-FX, which is mostly only played if a visitor wants to see it or if a game comes up in chat or a thread.  The other three systems are played more often: PSP, Vita, and Turbobs.  I rotate between the three and try to play a game through to the end (or at least until it's no longer fun and I give up, like in Frantix or N+), and often it's a game that I've barely played before.  It's a pretty good way to get to know a game inside and out.

I also have a handful of favorites that I pop in just for fun, when I want a break on whatever game I'm trying to beat, only have a few minutes to play, or am playing with a friend - stuff like Hatris, Bust A Move, Soldier Blade time runs, Bomberman '93/'94, Parasol Stars, etc.

Gypsy

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/06/2017, 05:41 PMI've been playing 2020 Super Baseball for a week straight with some Super Robot Wars V at work.
How is SRW V?

What I tend to do is play one "longer/story oriented" game at a time (currently Ys IV which I can't stop posting about, I just got past that damn ice boss). Then usually a more skill oriented game as well that I try to get better at until I can ace it.

Also like NecroPhile I have some quick play type favourites like Digital Pinball Necronomicon, Last Gladiators, Rez, Mario Kart Double Dash yadda yadda yadda.

NoSexGex

Quote from: crazydean on 06/06/2017, 06:22 PMI prefer to play every game on my everdrive for ten minutes then move to another system. My goal is to play every game on every console.
That's a lot of title screens

Quote from: Gypsy on 06/06/2017, 08:15 PMAlso like NecroPhile I have some quick play type favourites like Digital Pinball Necronomicon, Last Gladiators, Rez, Mario Kart Double Dash yadda yadda yadda.
I'm guilty of having Mario Kart Double Dash hooked up 24/7 too! It's insane compared to the other games in the series, plus it's the only non PC game my dad played really. So we pop it in when the family gets together sometimes

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Gypsy on 06/06/2017, 08:15 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/06/2017, 05:41 PMI've been playing 2020 Super Baseball for a week straight with some Super Robot Wars V at work.
How is SRW V?

What I tend to do is play one "longer/story oriented" game at a time (currently Ys IV which I can't stop posting about, I just got past that damn ice boss). Then usually a more skill oriented game as well that I try to get better at until I can ace it.

Also like NecroPhile I have some quick play type favourites like Digital Pinball Necronomicon, Last Gladiators, Rez, Mario Kart Double Dash yadda yadda yadda.
If you've played any main game in the series in the last decade you know, it's exactly like those.

I skipped the eigo and went with the Premium Sound and Song version. That makes a big difference in the experience to me since I've never bothered with the custom BGM shit before.

There are fewer missions this time, which is all good. These games are usually about 10 too long for me.

Yamato is a terrific addition, even though you wouldn't think so. I imagine the next game will have Godzilla. I'd honestly love to see Sentai rolled into it.

The new Mazin units are bonkers, of course.
IMG

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 06/07/2017, 02:48 PMI'm guilty of having Mario Kart Double Dash hooked up 24/7 too! It's insane compared to the other games in the series, plus it's the only non PC game my dad played really. So we pop it in when the family gets together sometimes
I hear ya. It's my favourite by far. People hyped up the Wii U one to me, but it's just a worse Sonic Racing Transformed. It rarely leaves my Gamecube tbqh.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/07/2017, 03:50 PMIf you've played any main game in the series in the last decade you know, it's exactly like those.

I skipped the eigo and went with the Premium Sound and Song version. That makes a big difference in the experience to me since I've never bothered with the custom BGM shit before.

There are fewer missions this time, which is all good. These games are usually about 10 too long for me.

Yamato is a terrific addition, even though you wouldn't think so. I imagine the next game will have Godzilla. I'd honestly love to see Sentai rolled into it.

The new Mazin units are bonkers, of course.
I have. I'm definitely planning to get V and Moon Dwellers for PS4.

Not sure I'll bother with that premium version, since it's almost double from what I saw in a quick check. But I'll look into it more when I actually go to buy.

Fewer missions isn't too bad. I haven't played too many in the series, of course I played the OGs and then I gutted through a few in Japanese but haven't played it in a few years except for an OG replay. I went through 1 again then stalled on 2 doing some hardcore farming to maintain hard mode.

SignOfZeta

I can't stand the OG series. Sure, it's exactly the same thing, but few of the characters or mecha are any good and the dialogue is oppressively dirivative moe/onsen/threesize crapola. I like the Lord of Elemental games though.

As for Double Dash vs 8. 8 has actual racing in it and DD is so luck/chaos based that it plays like a fucking redemption machine. I hate it because no matter what you do every victory is skin-of-the-teath. You can never really crush someone into oblivion by simply out driving them like you could in Super Mario Kart because everyone is being constantly crushed into oblivion by the CPU.

8 is far from perfect but plays well and the courses are gorgeous. It's the first Mario Kart game I've really liked since Super Circuit on GBA.
IMG

Gypsy

Oh yeah the dialogue is horse crap, heh. V will be the first non-OG I play in English, so I'll have a comparison point.

Yeah I mean, that's just Mario Kart to me. Although I am to the point where I smoke the computer pretty much every time, except for the tiny course where you have 7 laps. I've played a shit ton of it though. I don't mind 8 but honestly I would rather just play Sonic Racing. When I want skillful racing games I don't play Mario Kart. I'll dig into 8 more eventually. At this point I've probably only logged about 10 hours into it so I can't speak to it fully. Presumably I will also get better at it by playing it more, but I'm really not a fan of any of the Wii U controller options.