RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Tonight's Pickup!

Started by LowRes, 05/25/2017, 09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowRes

Was eating dinner with the family when I noticed this popped up on kijiji for $300CAD which is about $220US from a game store in the GTA called Retro Game Bros. Unit is re-capped, screen mod, controller out mod, and I think a region switch In the battery compartment but doesn't seem to work.

I'm gonna post pics of the inside if anybody with mod knowledge can tell me how it looks, I don't know much about mods.  They said it was done by a well known modder in the GTA that they trust, but opinions from you guys would be appreciated :)

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
Started a US TurboGrafx-16 Collection in 2017! ... Then I moved on to PC Engine

Alt-Nintega

good deal. These usually sell for 500. well done.

NoSexGex

Wow, that's an unusual find. Seeing something with THAT much work on it for sale at a local store; especially for a price like that. I've been to that store in the past as well, they have some good stuff.
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

Keith Courage

Is that screen held in with sticky tape?

LowRes

Quote from: Keith Courage on 05/26/2017, 05:48 AMIs that screen held in with sticky tape?
It seems to be held in with hot glue.  I'm not sure what the reason for the extra pieces sticky tape on that one side.  Maybe common for light to pass through in that area? It's definately hot glued though

LowRes

Quote from: guest on 05/26/2017, 12:51 AMWow, that's an unusual find. Seeing something with THAT much work on it for sale at a local store; especially for a price like that. I've been to that store in the past as well, they have some good stuff.
Ya stuff like that never usually comes up.  I called them right away and they put it aside for me.  Those guys are awesome, I buy stuff there every once in a while.  Very nice guys

NecroPhile

The d-pad and buttons need a little cleaning and I don't know about all that hot glue, but otherwise nice pick up!

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

LowRes

Quote from: guest on 05/26/2017, 09:25 AMThe d-pad and buttons need a little cleaning and I don't know about all that hot glue, but otherwise nice pick up!
I'm not a fan of all the hot glue everywhere either, and I hope to find another one without all the mods, but I'm pretty happy with this one too.  Somebody put a lot of work into it, The 3.5" screen is definately pretty nice

LowRes

I found out the little switch in the battery compartment is to cut off the AV out from headphone jack so it doesn't interfere with the sound when actually using headphones.  I originally thought it was a region mod switch but I was wrong.  From what I can tell it actually doesn't have any region mod installed. 
IMG

RNSpeed

Awesome, good deal.  I been trying to find a good deal like that but unable to.  [-o<

xcrement5x

Living the Eneloops life boi! 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

CrackTiger

QuoteThey said it was done by a well known modder in the GTA
plus

QuoteIt seems to be held in with hot glue.  I'm not sure what the reason for the extra pieces sticky tape on that one side.  Maybe common for light to pass through in that area? It's definately hot glued though
equals: Drakon
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

geise

Quote from: guest on 05/26/2017, 11:19 PMequals: Drakon
LOL!  When I saw the glue it was my first thought.  Regardless having real hardware to play on the couch, car, shitter, wherever for Turbo is nice. Congrats on the purchase! Thanks for sharing.

bob

ouch.  another new guy taking advntage of the community

NoSexGex

For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

hoobs88

Quote from: LowRes on 05/26/2017, 10:38 AMI found out the little switch in the battery compartment is to cut off the AV out from headphone jack so it doesn't interfere with the sound when actually using headphones.  I originally thought it was a region mod switch but I was wrong.  From what I can tell it actually doesn't have any region mod installed. 
The most common Turbo Express region mod is the "switchless" one. Press and hold the 'Select' button while powering on to change regions. If that doesn't work, it hasn't been region modded.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Alt-Nintega

Quote from: hoobs88 on 06/02/2017, 04:38 PM
Quote from: LowRes on 05/26/2017, 10:38 AMI found out the little switch in the battery compartment is to cut off the AV out from headphone jack so it doesn't interfere with the sound when actually using headphones.  I originally thought it was a region mod switch but I was wrong.  From what I can tell it actually doesn't have any region mod installed. 
The most common Turbo Express region mod is the "switchless" one. Press and hold the 'Select' button while powering on to change regions. If that doesn't work, it hasn't been region modded.
is this true or you are trolling? hold select button?

hoobs88

My Turbo Express has been modded with the switchless version. Most of the modders on this forum perform that mod too. If the previous owner stated that it was region modded, but the new owner doesn't see a switch, I would think it is a switchless mod.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

LowRes

Quote from: hoobs88 on 06/02/2017, 04:38 PM
Ya that was the first thing I tried when I first picked it up since it was a turbo express.  This unit has not been region modded.

bob