@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Thinking of slimming down and getting a retropie

Started by Mas, 06/23/2017, 06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mas

I have been thinking of slimming down my game room and cutting some fat and sell of my retro game room to just get a retropie and keeping only a couple of systems. Most of my stuff has everdrives and a few disc here or there. Let me explain what I own and maybe some suggestions will help me to decide.
What I own.
Atari 2600 sears telegames heavy sixer
Atari 2600 4 switch
Atari 2600 jr
60 games mostly all common 2600 games.

Atari 5200 with 12 games

Atari 7800 with 35 games

Colecovision with 12 games

Nes with everdrive

Sega Master System
98 games less than 20 to complete us set. All cartridge or card only.

Turbografx 2 systems
Everdrive
17 games

Sega Genesis models 1,2,3
32x
Sega cd model 2 with 8 or so games
Everdrive
Power base converter

Snes with everdrive

Sega saturn with 20 games and imports with action replay

Ps1 with 4 games

N64 with everdrive

Dreamcast with 5 games and 20 back ups

Xbox modded with coin ops 8 and x arcade double tank sticks

Wii with 500gig hard drive

That's my layout. Now I can pretty much get rid of everything and I have been thinking of it. But the other part is I can just play anything I want and when I have company it's cool to let them have flashbacks and remember old school gaming.
The only systems I'm thinking of keeping would be the tg16 and games and Wii and saturn. Everything else I know I could add to the retro pie and or have no use for it. I could also get away with the tg16 but there is just something about that damn system I love. I own the everdrive but I also like knowing I have original games and accessories for it like the turbobooster and turbo tap and turbo sticks plus I just got the turbo express so I'm a keeper for it. I think that's the only system I might just collect for.
Any suggestions would help. I don't need the cash but it always helps lol I'm just giving some thoughts on it. Thanks

esteban

You still need:
XaviX
Arcade Cab of Chubby Cherub
Virtual Cushion
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

GohanX

I have several Pi's. Retropie is kind of a pain to get setup, but when you have it just the way you want it holy hell is it awesome. If you still have a SDTV kicking around a Pi3 with a Retrotink add on board will put out 240p in component or RGB and is damn near indistinguishable from the original hardware. Overscan can be a bitch when going through menus though, depending on your TV.

crazydean

What you're talking about isn't trimming the fat, you're going on a crash diet!

Why don't you start by selling your redundancies? You have a power base converter, so get down to a single Genesis and sell the Sega master system. Same deal with the 7800.

Or, get the Pi first and see how you like it.

Mas

I'm not too concerned about the systems as much. I've seen what a retro pie 3 does and has played it and its awesome. My buddy will set it all up and I even have a couple of controllers set aside for it.

If I decide it I will only keep the nes, Saturn and tg16 because of the love for it. Everything I would sell off and make a few dollars on the side and it would clean up my room in a big way. Also if I do this I might be able to place in an actual arcade cabinet and then I will set my room up to a bar room.

crazydean

Sounds like you already decided lol. I would still recommend not selling anything until you have the pi set up for a month or so. You may find that the pi takes away some of the experience and want to go back to your previous setup

GohanX

You might hold on to the PS1 and Dreamcast also, the emulation for those isn't 100% on the Pi, although a lot of PS1 games play just fine.

Mas

I really have no need for the dreamcast or ps1. As far as holding a month on playing I might do that. Tonight I'll box up everything and just put it in a closet first. If I have no desire after a month then it's time to move on.

jperryss

Quote from: GohanX on 06/23/2017, 01:09 PMYou might hold on to the PS1 and Dreamcast also, the emulation for those isn't 100% on the Pi, although a lot of PS1 games play just fine.
N64 too, I bet.

GohanX

Yeah, N64 emulation is horrible. I mean, it runs, but it's just not good enough.

roflmao

Yeah, N64 emulation isn't very good. Still it's good enough for me to get my Zelda:OoT fix in from time to time! The most recent RetroPie update seemed to make N64 games play a little smoother, but Zelda is almost perfect now. My Pi3 is also overclocked a bit, so that might help too.

Since I've gotten my Pi3 all set up I've definitely slimmed down my physical collection. Many of the games, though, I've had for decades and it's hard to let them go. There's just something about holding the game in your hands, especially if you have fond memories of purchasing it and playing it for the first time bitd.

From what I've seen, Dreamcast games are for the most part playable, but few run at 100% speed. I need to create a config file for my controller because I can't get out of the date/time screen, and it's pretty low on my priority list because I have a Dreamcast that works just fine.

I haven't noticed any issues with PS1 games on the Pi3, but have only played a handful of games. Castlevania:SotN seems to work fine and I've put a few hours into it. Other than that, I've stuck mainly to RPGs and they all work fine too. Hooray for savestates!

blueraven

Every time I've sold off my turbo collection (3x) I've always bought it back so at this point unless I fall on hard times its staying.

If space is an issue or money then yeah, why not? But keep the turbo stuff.

My 2 cents.

Mas

Quote from: blueraven on 06/24/2017, 12:08 AMEvery time I've sold off my turbo collection (3x) I've always bought it back so at this point unless I fall on hard times its staying.

If space is an issue or money then yeah, why not? But keep the turbo stuff.

My 2 cents.
One thing I am NOT DOING is selling my turbo collection. I'm keeping that.

o.pwuaioc

NO FUCKING SURPRISE HERE

Quote from: guest on 08/03/2015, 02:51 AMPlease, don't. Mas has this habit of buying and selling everything, and don't let him fool you about the house thing. That was a recent addition. We're talking about years of doing this. Plus, he's a known and out and proud flipper.

Remember that "other site" he mentioned? That was Racketboy, and you can see all the details for yourself there, can see the jokes about mas buying everything and then selling on ebay or at a local store.

What, you think those would ever come back to PCEFX?

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44272
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=19468.msg416504#msg416504

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 06/25/2017, 07:14 PMNO FUCKING SURPRISE HERE

Quote from: guest on 08/03/2015, 02:51 AMPlease, don't. Mas has this habit of buying and selling everything, and don't let him fool you about the house thing. That was a recent addition. We're talking about years of doing this. Plus, he's a known and out and proud flipper.

Remember that "other site" he mentioned? That was Racketboy, and you can see all the details for yourself there, can see the jokes about mas buying everything and then selling on ebay or at a local store.

What, you think those would ever come back to PCEFX?

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44272
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=19468.msg416504#msg416504
I went and read the racketboy crap as well as the thread here and just, lol.

Dicer

I'm doing some pairing down myself, this habit can get pricey, and well at the moment, I literally cannot afford to be pricey.

I'll regret some stuff but as long as I have a way to play (flash cart/emulation) it's fine it's about the experience for me, not so much the stuff along my walls...

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: Dicer on 06/25/2017, 07:53 PMI'm doing some pairing down myself, this habit can get pricey, and well at the moment, I literally cannot afford to be pricey.

I'll regret some stuff but as long as I have a way to play (flash cart/emulation) it's fine it's about the experience for me, not so much the stuff along my walls...
But you put your Duo R here first. There's nothing wrong with pairing down every once in a while. There's something sick about mas' cycle of boom and bust all the fucking time, especially when he gets giddy that he will "make a few dollars on the side" as he said earlier this thread.

Just in case someone doesn't bother clicking on random forum links, straight from the horse's mouth:

QuoteLet me explain. See you guys should have every right to bash me on this. For over ten years I have done the same thing. Buy a system, get everything I want on it look at it in disgust and sell it off. A few months down the road regret and buy it all back.

Dicer

Quote from: guest on 06/25/2017, 08:01 PM
Quote from: Dicer on 06/25/2017, 07:53 PMI'm doing some pairing down myself, this habit can get pricey, and well at the moment, I literally cannot afford to be pricey.

But you put your Duo R here first. There's nothing wrong with pairing down every once in a while. There's something sick about mas' cycle of boom and bust all the fucking time, especially when he gets giddy that he will "make a few dollars on the side" as he said earlier this thread.

Just in case someone doesn't bother clicking on random forum links, straight from the horse's mouth:

QuoteLet me explain. See you guys should have every right to bash me on this. For over ten years I have done the same thing. Buy a system, get everything I want on it look at it in disgust and sell it off. A few months down the road regret and buy it all back.
Fair enough, I just felt like dumping my .02 in... that's all.

I also have a handicap (tremors, hereditary crap) and can't game like I used to, unfortunate but true.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: Dicer on 06/25/2017, 08:10 PM

I also have a handicap (tremors, hereditary crap) and can't game like I used to, unfortunate but true.
Shit, man, I'm really sorry to hear that.  :(

Dicer

Quote from: guest on 06/25/2017, 08:19 PM
Quote from: Dicer on 06/25/2017, 08:10 PM

Shit, man, I'm really sorry to hear that.  :(
Runs in the family, progresses as ya get older, and well I'm not getting younger. There are ways to fix it, but they are less than stellar. I live with it best that I can

Gypsy

edit

Mas

Dude you got me there. Seriously how long did it take you to find a post from a few years ago to just bash me.  Ill admit I sold stuff but who hasn't. I just lost my job and I need the money to make the mortgage and stay ahead of the bills.   Do you have a job? Do you have money in the bank to pay your bills? Well I don't and I need the money.

Right now I'm in the point of my life where all I need is a retro pie and a couple of usb ports and a mini cab and call it a day.

I'm also not selling the tg16 and my games but if I have to I will. Right now I'm going to sell of my collection and kill the tg16 if I have to make that last moment where I know I can make 6-800.

esteban

ASIDE: Every time I see the title of this thread, I mistake it for a Weight Loss Challenge
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: Mas on 07/02/2017, 10:40 AMDude you got me there. Seriously how long did it take you to find a post from a few years ago to just bash me.  Ill admit I sold stuff but who hasn't. I just lost my job and I need the money to make the mortgage and stay ahead of the bills.   Do you have a job? Do you have money in the bank to pay your bills? Well I don't and I need the money.
Once again, it's not about selling stuff. It's this buy-sell-buy-sell-buy-sell habit of yours coupled with asking for cheap stuff within the community and then shunning the community when it's time to sell.

That just makes you the asshole.

I get it. You have bills, and no one is saying starve and keep the games. It's purely in the way you do business.

Mas

Quote from: guest on 07/02/2017, 01:34 PM
Quote from: Mas on 07/02/2017, 10:40 AMDude you got me there. Seriously how long did it take you to find a post from a few years ago to just bash me.  Ill admit I sold stuff but who hasn't. I just lost my job and I need the money to make the mortgage and stay ahead of the bills.   Do you have a job? Do you have money in the bank to pay your bills? Well I don't and I need the money.
Once again, it's not about selling stuff. It's this buy-sell-buy-sell-buy-sell habit of yours coupled with asking for cheap stuff within the community and then shunning the community when it's time to sell.

That just makes you the asshole.

I get it. You have bills, and no one is saying starve and keep the games. It's purely in the way you do business.
Dude seriously that's all you got!!! When was the last time I asked to buy stuff from here? Two years ago?
Man give it up buddy. Your hating on me because I went on this thread years ago and asked if I can buy a couple of games.